Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

So why are we all not buying GT3's?

lets' see GT3 is better looking, almost as quick, just as fast, less luxury more sports car, lighter, crisper handling due to lighter weight, likely better re-sale value, has just enough electronics to keep you safe but not enough to kill the fun on the track and is less expensive?

Now, I'll answer myself (sign of insanity, methinks)

1) better looking, maybe but can't stand that boy racer rear spoiler
    2) almost as quick, maybe but you better like to run at high revs that's where all the power is
    3) just as fast, 193mph is somewhat illegal on NJ roads
    4) lighter, yes, noisier interior, yes
    5) crisper handling, probably, but what's it like on the road
    6) better resale value - I guess, but probably less potential buyers
    7) just enough electronics - PASM standard - wonder if that will make the track junkies happy

So which are you buying turbo or GT3? Whoever the guy was that wanted to know if he had enough to buy both - good idea!

Re: So why are we all not buying GT3's?

I prefer AWD for safety.
    PSM for safety.
    Immense torque and TIPTRONIC for daily commuting.

But, in addtion to the 997TT I'm going to buy a GT3RS for those special moments....

Hopefully the GT3RS gets the PDK, I really don't want manual.

No rear seat.
    No convertible!

Seriously, all other brands' GT are moving towards the 911 turbo, and guess what, the 911 turbo is moving towards them. The 997TT with its Tiptronic performance and weight is just becoming a very fast, very sporty GT. If you are not looking for that get the GT3 RS, it will be the car for you.

lovr the GT3, except for that horrible wing. it really need to be redesigned as it is just too odd looking in daily traffic.

interior downright cool

1* No PSM... electronic stability system is a must have for "street" road cars wether the owner realises or not, but whne they do its ussually too late. And to those that think they are a Schummacer, driver skills are not a substitute for electronic stability. In the street accidents are cause by many other factors that are driver-independant for which driving skill are not antidote.

2* No rear seats... not a necseity for everybody, but for those that do or may need them the GT3 is a no-go.

3* Ground clearance... the GT3 and its front lip have so little clearance that make it very impractical in many cities/countries. Many people could not park the GT3 in their own garage or an underground parking.

Aside form that the GT3 is a plus in everthing else with respect to the Turbo in my book (better handling, nimbler and more agile, sportier, better steering, trackier, etc.)

Turbo is better if you're buying just one car (good all year in all weather for 2 people + 2 kids). GT3 (RS) is better if you want a sports car to go with your daily driver...

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    1* No PSM... electronic stability system is a must have for "street" road cars wether the owner realises or not, but whne they do its ussually too late. And to those that think they are a Schummacer, driver skills are not a substitute for electronic stability. In the street accidents are cause by many other factors that are driver-independant for which driving skill are not antidote.

Agree 100%. On a track, you turn off PSM as you continually refine with 100% concentration your corner approach and exit repeatedly as you gain knowledge of that particular track and it's traction that day. So you want maximum control with your throttle foot for maximum fun.

On the road , you can spin yourself and your family into a wall or worse if in a blinding rainstorm on an unfamiliar dark road a refigerator suddenly falls off the back of the pick up truck directly in front of you just as you are reaching to change the temp on your climate control . Totally unanticipated - PSM is no guarantee of " hand of god " help , but I'd rather have it in that situation.

Even with a top race driver's reflexes and car control , he'd have to practice this above scenario several times ( and even then with full anticipation ) on a training course to get it almost " right ". You get one chance on the street.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

I thought I read somewhere the GT3 has TC with "PSM like" features. It sounded to me somewhere between TC and PSM, whatever that means. Can someone elaborate on what exactly the GT3 offers in terms of stability control?

thanks,
    david

The lack of rear seats is "fixable" in the US at least. Ive had two dealers offer to install them if I decide to purchase one. The USA ground clearance might also be little higher.

Is that legal?
    Would insurance be OK with it?

WHY WE ARE NOT ALL BUYING GT3's

1) NOT better looking, I love the 997TT rear spoiler. not to keen on the ricer Gt3 spoiler
    2) Not as quick, I love the power at higg revs
    3) 997TT faster to 193 mph
    4) Gt3 noisier interior
    5) Better handling...grips the road better
    6) better resale value - no one knows yet...
    7) More than enough electronics - alot more than PASM standard
    LONG LIVE THE KING "TURBO"

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Is that legal?
    Would insurance be OK with it?

Yes it is legal. Yes Insurance is ok with it.

FYI, The 996GT3 used a C4 bodyshell and the holes for the seat belt mounts and seat mounts were right under the rear carpeting. I think the 997GT3 wich uses the C2 body shell will also be pre drilled for belts and seats also.

If you install factory rear seats and belts whats the big deal? Many car owners change their front seats to non OEM
    models, so adding factory made rear seats and belts is not the end of the world.

Homologation?

The 996 was not offered without a sunroof in the US because Porsche did not want to do two certifications. Adding seats where there were none and crash testing could fall under this also (like adding roll cage or messing with airbags incorporated in seats).

Then in Europe, the registration specifies the legal number of occupants, it might be the same in the US.

When it comes to carrying your family, better safe than sorry.

Registration is handled on the state level in the US.

As for safety, with factory rear seats and seatbelts in a GT3, the likelyhood of it being less safe in a impact then a 997 seems remote. So I think that is a non issue.

Take the RS Americsa for example. The first year Porsche sold them they had no rear sear seats, the next year they did. It wasnt a question of homoglation, it was a question of marketing.

As far as I know, Porsche does not perform rear seat impact crash testing for any USA safety tests, so its all a question of marketing. And as I said, is a GT3 with rear seats any less safe than a 997 with rear seats? I dont think so.

Well considering that the rear seats are held in place by velcro, I don't see how an add on rear seat is any less safe.

Interesting rationale, but then again it is like comparing apples and oranges...

For me the rear seats are a go or no go feature. With 2 kids who like to ride in my car it is mandatory. Plus the TT is as fast or FASTER than a GT3 with all the comfort stuff to boot.
    While it would be easy to add the rear seats, I'm not convinced it would be legal. The regular cars are certified for 4 passengers, that's even listed on the sticker under the hood. I'm not sure what it says on a GT3 car but I bet it lists 2 passenger capacity. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't chance it. Just my .02

Same here, that is why I try to get an answer from someone who really knows.

I'm with the turbo. Fantastic car for the street. I also agree with some; hate the wing on the GT3. Love it on the turbo.

GT3 - fairly raw sports car, great if you track your car often, very low torque compared to TT, lives high in the rev range, more passion

TT Tiptronic - Fast, luxo GT, very quick, gobs of torque to pin you in your seat, all the electronic goodies, less passion

TT Manual with LSD - just the right mix of the above for me

i personaly love the look of the gt3,i would have preffered the spoiler of the tt , the car IMO is more fun to drive and i didnt like the look of the tt , ill take the gt3 if i had to choose..

Power isnt the only thing. The GT3's greater agility and more direct chassis response and inputs is more useable on a daily basis than the more hp of the Turbo.

Besides, a 8400rpm redline is more fun to play with.

The Turbo would be better on a long trip than a GT3, but so would a AMG S class be even better on a long trip in a 997TT.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:

I thought I read somewhere the GT3 has TC with "PSM like" features. It sounded to me somewhere between TC and PSM, whatever that means. Can someone elaborate on what exactly the GT3 offers in terms of stability control?

thanks,
    david

That type of " PSM like " traction control only helps if you give it too much throttle out of a turn . Only " real PSM" saves you in that fish-tailing , foot off the throttle , perhaps needing to brake also, and trying to steer around the refrigerator highway emergency in my above scenario.

I love the Turbo,the look,the power..the Turbo is the Turbo!

4 seats is why i would pick a turbo over the gt3

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    i personaly love the look of the gt3,i would have preffered the spoiler of the tt , the car IMO is more fun to drive and i didnt like the look of the tt , ill take the gt3 if i had to choose..

Totally agree...
    I wish the 997TT had the looks of the new GT3 and my decision would be made.

Some of you guys must be single or unafraid of divorce.

I was the guy who wanted both. I read the advice here and told my wife I thought we could only afford one.

She said "which one did you say was the plush one?"
    "Um", I replied, "the turbo."

She then said "we're getting the turbo."

Sometimes it's that simple.

Quote:
    faterikcartman said:
    Some of you guys must be single or unafraid of divorce.

I was the guy who wanted both. I read the advice here and told my wife I thought we could only afford one.

She said "which one did you say was the plush one?"
    "Um", I replied, "the turbo."

She then said "we're getting the turbo."

Sometimes it's that simple.

And maybe some people here realize that you shouldn't be a wimp and should show the wife who's boss. If it's your money you're spending, you're the only one who should decide what to do with it. Now, of course the guys advised you to get the Turbo, but what if you want to get another car down the road? Are you going to beg your wife to give you permission

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    lets' see GT3 is better looking, almost as quick, just as fast, less luxury more sports car, lighter, crisper handling due to lighter weight, likely better re-sale value, has just enough electronics to keep you safe but not enough to kill the fun on the track and is less expensive?

Now, I'll answer myself (sign of insanity, methinks)

1) better looking, maybe but can't stand that boy racer rear spoiler
    2) almost as quick, maybe but you better like to run at high revs that's where all the power is
    3) just as fast, 193mph is somewhat illegal on NJ roads
    4) lighter, yes, noisier interior, yes
    5) crisper handling, probably, but what's it like on the road
    6) better resale value - I guess, but probably less potential buyers
    7) just enough electronics - PASM standard - wonder if that will make the track junkies happy

So which are you buying turbo or GT3? Whoever the guy was that wanted to know if he had enough to buy both - good idea!

I still think that the GT3 and Turbo are two different products for almost the same audience, making a decison pretty difficult. I'd put it this way: the GT3 is a bang for the buck, the best 911 offer from Porsche in my opinion.
    Disadvantages: no backseats, no PSM, no AWD...not very important things but still some "deal breakers".
    The 997 Turbo is more of a little 959, a do-it-can-it-all 911. It is not cheap, it is extremely fast, it is safe, it is good as a daily driver too, no matter if it rains or even snows.
    So which one to get? Simple: if money is an issue, you don't have (or don't want to take the) kids with you, you're doing a lot of track racing and you just need a weekend car for fun, the GT3 is just perfect. Just make sure you learn how to drive it, no safety cushion available.
    If money isn't a real issue, if you're driving mostly in the city, if you're not each weekend on the track, if you want to move your kids/family too in your car from time to time or if you need to transport a samsonite suitcase for a long weekend with your wife/girlfriend, if you're living in an area with rain and/or snow and if you want to have that extra safety cushion, the 997 Turbo is the perfect car for you.

Both are fast but an unexperienced driver would be probably faster in the 997 Turbo. Don't think that you are capable to drive faster if you're buying yourself a "racecar" (GT3), on the contrary, the GT3 is more challenging, especially since it has only TC and no PSM or AWD.

Looks? The GT3 has a sportier "clean" look, the 997 Turbo looks more aggressive and huge. Maybe like the difference between Brad Pitt and governor Arnie.

Owning both would be perfect but I'm afraid not many people here can afford it, including me.

GT3 for me, 10k deposit going down tomorrow . Now all i need to do is get some serious tuition so i can drive it safely when it finally arrives.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753027 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430679 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258582 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255450 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868285 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801831 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM