Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anyone regret getting the 997S?

I myself am a privelaged owner of this fine vehicle.. however lately iv been finding myself wondering if i made the right decision for more several reasons..

1) 997S are everywhere! whenever i go out I see 2-4 997s roaming around next to my block.. and i live in a really small country! and for the amount iv paid for the car im expecting some level of exclusivity.. it just seems to have lost a big amount of its wow effect

2) im not a street racer nor am i a tracker.. which is probably why im yet to discover the real potential of this cars capabilities.. i just use it as a means of fun daily commute.. however, you cant help but get that look from bmw M owners benz 55 owners and a load corvettes that theyr justin waitin for u to nail it so they can prove to u ur porsche is slower! im not racer.. but it does kinda get to me at the end of the day

3) although this design is timeless (atleast in my opinion) the first reaction i get from people who dont know much about cars is that.. it still looks the same as before.. and with all the other new vehicles that have come up to the level of the 997 (amv8 for ex.) u just wonder if u kinda missed something along the way..

4) it makes soo much sence to get a 997 as it ticks all the right boxes and does all the right things.. which is why you can only expect to see more of them around in the future..

5) 997S is getting replaced by the new turbo.. which even though is on a whole new performance level.. still looks only slightly diffrent.. point bein the 997S isnt the top of the range model anymore

I just wonder if ill learn to appreciate the car as it is as i get to drive it more n more or if it would be a better idea to part with it soon and maybe just lose a fraction of the price and wait for bigger better things in the same price range..

Iv waited 5 months to get my porsche.. 997S withe aerokit in cobalt blue painted rims short shifts painted console backseats sport seats the works really..

but im just wondering if anyone shares these views or if anyone has anything else to disprove them.. cheers

Re: Anyone regret getting the 997S?

You point 4 answers your question of #1 and #3.

2) You have to buy a normal (not AMG nor M) sedan to prevent its happening.

5) I don't know why you WOULD ever consider 997s WAS the top of the range?

If you worry that much about appearances and exclusivity, you probably bought the wrong car. You should look at Aston Martin, or Fisker if you want looks and exclusivity.

You make good points, But who the F.... cares what others think..... come on man enjoy the car for what it is and let others look at you with envy.
    The Porsche 997S is one of the finest cars around , with great handling, feel, excitment and a great fun factor.
    Who cares about exclusivity and all that other superficial and concided ideas.

ENJOY THE CAR AND HAVE FUN IN LIFE !!!!!!

I have mixed feelings about a lot of your points so I'm not going to comment on most of them.

Regarding the looks of the car, I think the fact that the changes to the 911 through the years have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary are one of the car's strong points.

You will never have to worry about the car looking out of date or silly. Imagine driving a red Ferrari from the eighties--everyone will think "that guys drives a Magnum P.I. car or a Miami Vice car." With the Porsche you get a timeless look that will never look out of style.

I think if you are using it as a daily driver that is a great choice I would not regret. If you need to turn heads and go fast why not import an Ariel Atom? They are relatively cheap and it's doubtfull anyone in your neighbourhood has one.

regarding issue #1, move to Michigan, I have not seen a single 997S, other than the one I am driving.

Quote:
    iia said:
    5) I don't know why you WOULD ever consider 997s WAS the top of the range?

997S was the fastest 997 model available for 2 years now.. until the turbo came out..

I really do appreciate your comments.. it really is a very fun car for a daily commute.. i guess ill never know how good the 997 is till i try sumthin else..

The 997tt isn't replacing the 997S. I too believe the 911 has evolved. That one of the reasons for owning one. Furthermore many of these cars will not prove your S slow.
    Maybe you bought the car for the wrong reasons.
    Corvettes don't compare. Many of the cars you mention, or most on this planet (IMO), do not offer the driver excitement the 911 offers.
    The Z06 is fast, but not a daily driver like the 996tt or better yet the 997tt (coming) and doesn't have anywhere near the character, precision or refinement the 911 has; whatever relative variety.

I could care less what people think of the car. Those who need to ask have no idea anyway. Those who know what it is have nothing but praise. Corvettes, Mustangs and 350z's are all nice, but as they say," there is no substitute".

I felt the same way when i had my 996 , driving around i look at new cars like E55 CLS vetts M3s and i think Porsche is special.. every body think that way. it's a special car with special look, if porsche ever change this style i swear i will never consider buying one!
    if you want to compare it with other cars think of cars in the same level.

Most of your points point me to thinking that this is your first Porsche. Right? Porsches are meant to be driven. They have never been the FASTEST car on the street,--but they certainly could be the quickest when you factor in maneuverability/handling. I would encourage you not to think about the fact that you're seeing yourself coming and going at every corner. (We have the same issues here in Southern California). Just remember you have a magnificent machine to use as a daily driver, and your 'commutes' or whatever you have must be the most enjoyable ever! Don't worry about the other guy, or devaluation, etc. I have NEVER bought a Porsche with a plan to resell it. I ultimately have to purchase a newer one. I wish many times that I could collect them and keep some of the ones I've owned. The 911 is ageless,--now go enjoy it. Remember,--the other 911 drivers are out there to drive and enjoy them too!

dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Most of your points point me to thinking that this is your first Porsche. Right? Porsches are meant to be driven. They have never been the FASTEST car on the street,--but they certainly could be the quickest when you factor in maneuverability/handling. I would encourage you not to think about the fact that you're seeing yourself coming and going at every corner. (We have the same issues here in Southern California). Just remember you have a magnificent machine to use as a daily driver, and your 'commutes' or whatever you have must be the most enjoyable ever! Don't worry about the other guy, or devaluation, etc. I have NEVER bought a Porsche with a plan to resell it. I ultimately have to purchase a newer one. I wish many times that I could collect them and keep some of the ones I've owned. The 911 is ageless,--now go enjoy it. Remember,--the other 911 drivers are out there to drive and enjoy them too!

dan

well said.. i think i just gotta get myself into that frame of mind.. i don care much for racing anyone.. i was just wondering if anyone felt the image of 911 has lost some of what it had over the years... its such a joy to drive.. its brand new... i guess ill just start the engine and take her out for a long spin to figure out whats there to love about this one.. thanks dan

Quote:
    khalidaij said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

dan

well said.. i think i just gotta get myself into that frame of mind.. i don care much for racing anyone.. i was just wondering if anyone felt the image of 911 has lost some of what it had over the years... its such a joy to drive.. its brand new... i guess ill just start the engine and take her out for a long spin to figure out whats there to love about this one.. thanks dan

Your points are being felt by many Porsche buyer's. For an example, regarding design being evolutionary, why would someone spend over $100,000 for a car that looks very similar to a 10 year old model and most people cannot distinguish?

Regarding exclusivity, because Porsche has been churning out look alike models Boxster, Cayman, 997, 997S, 997 GT3, 997TT which resemble 996 models they literally dot the landscape. In S. Calf. I see more Porsche's than Corvette, honda 2000 or even Miata's.

The S is a terrific performing car but how often does one have an opportunity to really enjoy what the car can do? Anticipating that some will say well what about Ferrari my reponse is simply drive one and see how even at the speed limit the Ferrari is so special in sound, sexiness and sensual feel that it is worth every penny. To enjoy a Porsche you must drive it at the limit.

Finally, regarding that a Porsche is good car for daily use I find that point hilarious. Why drive a sport car to work or shopping? It is impractical and useless. The only people that drive there Porsche's to work or shopping are those that cannot afford another car or they want to be seen in a Porsche. I drive a MiniCooper everyday and love it.

Quote:
    khalidaij said:

With the 911, it is very important WHO is driving this car.
    At least this is my experience over the past few years.
    Usually, clothes "make" people but in the case of the 911, the driver "makes" the car. I don't know how to explain it but I picture the typical 911 driver like this: not too thin, not too fat, not too ugly, not too pretty, not too elegant, not too dirty, not too bling bling, not too cheap, not too nervous, not too cool...and always with a smile on his face. If you think this description fits you, you got yourself the right car.

I owned a 997 Carrera S and now I'm getting the Turbo. But even if I would drive a 993, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable. The 911 seems to be timeless and in my opinion, it didn't loose that special thing, people seem to be attracted too.

You are fortunate enough to live in a very wealthy region where many people can afford a lot of expensive cars, including Porsche. But the fact that you came here to discuss your car and share your car passion with us, worldwide Porsche enthusiasts, makes you special and makes you different from other Porsche drivers.
    Some people buy a Porsche, a Ferrari, Lamborghini or whatever for showing off only, because these cars are expensive and they are fast. The question is: do all these people really enjoy the feeling driving their cars or do they enjoy the feeling owning and beeing seen in their cars?! A true sportscar enthusiast, no matter if he drives a Porsche, Ferrari or whatever, will always look with respect at you because you're driving a 911, THE Porsche. Only people who don't really care about the car itself would laugh at you. These would probably be the same people who get themselves an Enzo or Carrera GT and suddenly feel superior over all sportscar drivers on this planet.

Just relax and don't think about the others, think about yourself and your personal fun. Because in the end, YOU are driving this car and paying the bills.

Seems like you're looking for a "hey look at me" car. You need to man up and spend a few more bucks for something flashier if you want to achieve your goal.

No, I don't regret getting the 911S. I did it for the pure pleasure of the driving experience. I can have as much fun driving a 911S briskly at 50-60 mph (80-100 kph) on a twisting and narrow country road as I could racing against someone on a public street.

Frankly, I think the 911 styling is timeless yet thoroughly modern. Like earlier Porsche's I think it will stand the test of time and still look terrific 10-15 years from now.

Jim

My 997S is the best driver car that I've owned. No regret at all. It has more speed and handling than my skill level, so no need for a turbo for a while.

Being exclusive is not even on my shopping list. If I want to be exclusive, I'll just spray it PINK.

911 is the icon sport car that all car companies will compare to, not ferrari, not lambo. 10 years from now, the new 911 will look similar to our cars and that is good for us.

I tried to drive my 997S every day if I can. It is fun to drive at any speed and anywhere you go. Comments that a 911 can only be enjoyed at its limit and it is not suitable for daily driving are naive and ignorant.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    My 997S is the best driver car that I've owned. No regret at all. It has more speed and handling than my skill level, so no need for a turbo for a while.

Being exclusive is not even on my shopping list. If I want to be exclusive, I'll just spray it PINK.

911 is the icon sport car that all car companies will compare to, not ferrari, not lambo. 10 years from now, the new 911 will look similar to our cars and that is good for us.

I tried to drive my 997S every day if I can. It is fun to drive at any speed and anywhere you go. Comments that a 911 can only be enjoyed at its limit and it is not suitable for daily driving are naive and ignorant.

Very well said !!!!!

i]nberry said:
    [quoteYour points are being felt by many Porsche buyer's. For an example, regarding design being evolutionary, why would someone spend over $100,000 for a car that looks very similar to a 10 year old model and most people cannot distinguish?

Regarding exclusivity, because Porsche has been churning out look alike models Boxster, Cayman, 997, 997S, 997 GT3, 997TT which resemble 996 models they literally dot the landscape. In S. Calf. I see more Porsche's than Corvette, honda 2000 or even Miata's.

The S is a terrific performing car but how often does one have an opportunity to really enjoy what the car can do? Anticipating that some will say well what about Ferrari my reponse is simply drive one and see how even at the speed limit the Ferrari is so special in sound, sexiness and sensual feel that it is worth every penny. To enjoy a Porsche you must drive it at the limit.

Finally, regarding that a Porsche is good car for daily use I find that point hilarious. Why drive a sport car to work or shopping? It is impractical and useless. The only people that drive there Porsche's to work or shopping are those that cannot afford another car or they want to be seen in a Porsche.:an

Nick as usual is barking at the moon.

People who buy certain items know and appreciate why the design was evolutionary - the nouveau riche need the simple immediate gratification of the new and different - it's old money vs new - and have no appreciation for why certain things are better evolving.

Porsche as exclusive? Drive the race weekend at Monaco and it's harder to find an ugly girl than a 360 or 430. You actually have the owners asking "e la tua o la mia?" so common they can't tell 'em apart!

in terms of visceral pleasure it's just as well you can enjoy the Ferrari driving slow - most owners seem to have difficulty driving the car any other way. Porsche owners OTOH know the car was designed and built to deliver on the track and everyday - just more skillful engineers.

And in terms of practicality I've just done the bi-weekly grocery shop in my C2S and just filled the trunk. Oh and it's the 3rd car btw. My friend the dentist who owns a 430 Spider as part of his fleet can fit a token symbolic toothbrush in his - so much for practicality! He HAS to take the Cayenne.

Nick if this is a practice run for the White House you've a very long way to go in succesful manipulation of the facts.

The only thing I regret is not waiting for the GT3 but then I would have denied myself 2 years of fantastic automobile ownership.

Well, if exclusivity was your goal then you bought the wrong car.

I dunno, I guess humility is profanity to u nick but for the same price as your 430 I bought a vehicle with 95% of the 430's athleticism and sensory overload ( ), and I get the voluptuous curves of 997-- only see 2 or 3 other 911's per month-- and I had enough cash left over so we used it to buy a new 2- bedroom ski condo (yeah, in lots of PA/NY 2nd homes are cheeeep) with hot tub and a garage to store the Porsche! Not everyone can live the life of a trust fund diva, but somehow I still manage to consider myself damn lucky.

I wonder if Donald Trump spends his time trolling real estate forums disparaging investors who prefer the lower profile of meager 40-story hotel/office complex...ridiculous

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Your points are being felt by many Porsche buyer's. For an example, regarding design being evolutionary, why would someone spend over $100,000 for a car that looks very similar to a 10 year old model and most people cannot distinguish?

Finally, regarding that a Porsche is good car for daily use I find that point hilarious. Why drive a sport car to work or shopping? It is impractical and useless. The only people that drive there Porsche's to work or shopping are those that cannot afford another car or they want to be seen in a Porsche. I drive a MiniCooper everyday and love it.

Nick, Nick, Nick. What the hell planet are you from??
    Regarding people not being able to distinguish Porsche models, some folks thought the new Z06 was a Ferrari when it came out. Ouch!! People confusing vehicles when one costs three times as much(not to even mention kissing the dealer's a** to get one).

How does one enjoy a C2S you ask Nick, well you have to DRIVE it. I'm sure you could probably find some course to learn how to operate a manual(or old ladies here in Detroit could teach you).

Why drive a sports car to work or shopping? I ask why the F*** not? Driving a Porsche daily is like getting laid every day. Why not? I feel sorry for you Nick if you're one of those guys who rarely gets some. Sorry, but an Enzo won't make up for that.

Remember for those who HATE Porsche, hate is not the opposite of love, indifference is. Figure it out..

JMShrink, are you a real shrink? What's your diagnosis of Nick? I know Ferrari is better than Porsche. I also know that my Boxster is better than a Miata and Honda S2000 but I don't hang out on their boards and remind people of that. I don't remind Miata owners their car looks the same as it does now as it did 20 years ago. What's up with Nick?

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    JMShrink, are you a real shrink? What's your diagnosis of Nick? I know Ferrari is better than Porsche. I also know that my Boxster is better than a Miata and Honda S2000 but I don't hang out on their boards and remind people of that. What's up with Nick?

Yes I am. This was covered in a previous thread regarding Nick.

If you read the last statement in my last post, it's actually quite revealing. Just have to be abstract to grasp it..

Quote:
    nberry said:

How does Mini be more practical and useful?

Quote:
    DavidSF said:

I hope I see a lot of 997s on the road. i think that everyone should get to experience a car this special.

Quote:
    Hollli82 said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:

I hope I see a lot of 997s on the road. i think that everyone should get to experience a car this special.

Well said. I always look for 997 on the road as well and have seen 2 so far since last May. I tried to ride next to them with no luck. How lucky you are to see all these 997'S. I would trade place with you anyday

some very well said comments here! This is why I think this place is one of the best forum, mostly well educated ones on the planet...

why drive the porsche everyday? strange remark... I'm sure there are many people in this world that can afford to but just chose to drive a porsche.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    687773 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408418 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255440 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234627 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65276 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857354 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    772963 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM