Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Macan Facelift 2018?

Did you try the iPace yet? I guess I didn't think the Macan was anything amazing when I drove it. It lacked technology that I expected and that comes in much lesser vehicles.

My 4 year old Macan has every tech I need/want short of full autonous driving which does not even exist today. It lacks CarPlay but to me without Waze integration it is completely useless. There is no other crossover or SUV that drives even close to it with PDK and light weight (remover the Macan is lighter than the Panamera). My interior is as luxurious as any car bar RR and Bentleys (full two tone red/black leather) and has gathered many praises. My also full leather red/black RRS autobiography might be a hair better but not enough to even write about. They are both gorgeous and very luxurious. Furthermore at $93k fully loaded, the Macan was a relative bargain even though used price seem to finally be going lower.

The iPace drives like a tank, is ugly outside and not very luxurious inside. It makes a model X a dream car despite the higher price tag and interior not on par with BMW/Merc...

The Stelvio with 500hp is the only thing that tickles some interest on the market. Yet at the end of the day, the quality and interior of the Porsche wins against the extra performance but unproven quality Alfa.

Model Y and Macan EV could be game changers however. For example a fully loaded Y model for $50k with an acceptable modern sleeek interior even without leather might be impossible to resist vs anything out there that has already been rumored or announced. The same Macan as mine now but EV might cost north of $100k.

SciFrog:

There are no other crossovers than even comes close to the Macan as a complete package despite the paltry 400hp on the turbo and the vacuum cleaner sound from inside

Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    SciFrog:

There are no other crossovers than even comes close to the Macan as a complete package despite the paltry 400hp on the turbo and the vacuum cleaner sound from inside

Our posts crossed. Read above.

SciFrog:
    bluelines:
    SciFrog:

Our posts crossed. Read above.

Geniuses think alike SmileySmiley

--

I will not bode for you but surely will never call myself a genius... I know a bunch of real ones and I am not even close.

I can't stand the new Porsche design language [especially the new Cayenne - I'm all for evolution but goodness is it exceptionally dull... and all those lines/edges on the rear, yeesh], so the Macan is the last bastion of the previous language I enjoyed. I'm also not a fan of the new interiors and all the gloss black/touch surfaces, so I'm glad to see the Macan combining the awesome new touchscreen with the buttons of the launch model. Perfect combination of analogue/digital in my opinion without being too clinical and over-techified.

Call me old-fashioned for a 20-odd-year-old, but hey. I just don't understand what's taking Porsche so long to bring the damn thing to market already, especially seeing that the original model launched in November 2013.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

Because Macan sell very well so they didn’t need to facelift it. Never forget that at Porsche, it is all about the beans counters...

SciFrog:

My 4 year old Macan has every tech I need/want short of full autonous driving which does not even exist today. It lacks CarPlay but to me without Waze integration it is completely useless. There is no other crossover or SUV that drives even close to it with PDK and light weight (remover the Macan is lighter than the Panamera). My interior is as luxurious as any car bar RR and Bentleys (full two tone red/black leather) and has gathered many praises. My also full leather red/black RRS autobiography might be a hair better but not enough to even write about. They are both gorgeous and very luxurious. Furthermore at $93k fully loaded, the Macan was a relative bargain even though used price seem to finally be going lower.

The iPace drives like a tank, is ugly outside and not very luxurious inside. It makes a model X a dream car despite the higher price tag and interior not on par with BMW/Merc...

The Stelvio with 500hp is the only thing that tickles some interest on the market. Yet at the end of the day, the quality and interior of the Porsche wins against the extra performance but unproven quality Alfa.

Model Y and Macan EV could be game changers however. For example a fully loaded Y model for $50k with an acceptable modern sleeek interior even without leather might be impossible to resist vs anything out there that has already been rumored or announced. The same Macan as mine now but EV might cost north of $100k.

Why would you expect a Macan EV not to drive like a tank as well once you add in the massive batteries?

Better chassis, lower center of gravity and lower weight than competition. If it’s no better than a $50k Y model then why bother?

jaguar F-Pace SVR

This facelift is taking a bit longer than i expected

Yes, all the info from beginning of the year pointed to April. When is it finally coming?

Saw an almost finished (only rear part had camouflage) factory test car (BB license plate) on my way to Italy in Austria. Spotted it too late for a photo, sorry.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

They've taken their sweet time with this facelift; will we see it in Paris/Los Angeles, sooner or not even this year?

rulesdontapply

--

rulesdontapply:

They've taken their sweet time with this facelift; will we see it in Paris/Los Angeles, sooner or not even this year?

rulesdontapply

It is my understanding that it will be available as a MY 2019 car but I have no release date yet.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

First drive out by Autocar. Some highlights:

- Unveiling is planned for autumn 2018.
    - Exterior revisions are very subtle.
    - Diesels are out, hybrid rumors for this generation are 'exaggerated.'
    - Power is up across the board: base Macan goes from 252 hp to somewhere near 300, Macan S bumps from 340 to 355, Macan Turbo from 400 to 440. GTS coming later down the line.
    - Macan S replaces its older 3.0L V6 with the new 3.0L from the Panamera, Macan Turbo gets the new 2.9L twin-turbo in the Panamera/Cayenne S models.
    - Tungsten carbide brakes are coming as an option.
    - Models driven all had the classic, three-tube analogue instrument dials.
    - Only major discernable change in the interior is the adoption of the 12.3 inch central touchscreen.

All in all, these sound like solid updates to a car that continues to sell like hotcakes. As someone interested in a base Macan, I'm glad to hear about the power bump [as well as positive notes in the article and how it's a genuinely wonderful drive that isn't slower than the sixes in the real world], but more importantly, I'm one of the few that LOVES the buttons in the interior. Never was a fan of the new Panamera and Cayenne touch-centric/smudge-fest/fussy interiors, so the combination of buttons and big touchscreen are the ideal union for me.

Watching closely...

rulesdontapply

Porsche Macan prototype 2018: first drive of refreshed SUV

By Andrew Frankel
    4 June 2018

Porsche won’t talk about the new Macan yet - but that didn’t stop us taking one to the limit to find out some details

It’s not often I get nervous driving at less than walking pace. But when I saw the boulder-strewn, ditch-riddled, steep and rocky ridge I was supposed to climb, I got really quite nervous.

Nervous about being revealed as the inexpert off-roader I am, more nervous about damaging a rare and valuable prototype on one of its final sign-off drives and, I guess, most nervous about tripping over a crag, falling over the edge and having enough time on the way down to calculate the terminal velocity of a 2019 Porsche Macan before it and I splatted ourselves into a pristine patch of South African veldt.

Porsche, it seemed, had decided to show me that the Macan was more than just the most entertaining SUV ever to be put on the market and that in this, its second generation form, it was also a formidable off-roader.

What had been done to achieve this? Had a low-ratio transfer ’box been fitted? The suspension raised? The approach and departure angles radically enhanced? No, no, thrice no. It seems Macans could always peddle this shtick, just nobody knew.

But in an environment requiring monster traction, manoeuvrability and driver interaction it was outstanding, as the fact that I survived to tell the tale attests.

What did that tell me about how Porsche has transformed this car after three years in the marketplace? To be honest, not a thing. Truth is, the car is not transformed. The car has been disgustingly successful these last few years and done more than any other to turn Porsche into the most profitable car company on earth. Why would you transform that? Or even much change it?

Except that Porsche can’t help itself. More than any other mainstream company on earth, Porsche loves to tinker, even when there’s no apparent need. And tinker it has, far more than the blink-and-you’ll-miss-’em revisions to the Macan’s exterior suggest.

And now you’re going to have to forgive me for being a little less statistically precise than usual, because at the time of writing the car does not actually exist, officially at least. The cars I drove were partly disguised and there is no press information, so what follows is based on unattributable gen gleaned from the various development drivers with whom I shared the cars.

Even so, I believe that what follows is absolutely what will be announced nearer the car’s official autumn unveiling, or as near as makes no difference.

The biggest changes come under the bonnet. Sadly, in line with Porsche policy the diesel Macans have gone (and rumours of a hybrid in this generation appear exaggerated) but the base Macan, the Macan S and Macan Turbo all receive considerable engineering upgrades.

The standard car retains its 2.0-litre turbo motor, but with its output raised from 248bhp in the current version to something close to the 300bhp the same engine generates in the likes of the VW Golf R.

Always something of a rarity in the UK, the performance upgrade this brings – along with the tax and fuel consumption benefits – are likely to make it a far more significant player in the UK market, especially now the strong selling diesels have gone.

The Macan S and Turbo both receive entirely new engines, though in the former case it might not look like it as it remains a 3.0-litre V6. But it’s the new-generation V6 from the Panamera that places its turbo in the vee for better emissions performance; its power is likely to rise from the current 335bhp to 355bhp with an appreciable additional slug of torque.

In short, it sits in the space occupied by the Macan GTS today. The replacement for that car will, in usual Porsche fashion, follow the rest of the range at a respectable distance.

The Turbo uses essentially the same engine but in 2.9-litre capacity (the reduction because it needs a beefed-up crank to cope with the extra power and therefore has a shorter stroke). It will increase power from the 394bhp of the current 3.6-litre motor to 434bhp, which just happens to be the same output as today’s car when carrying the optional Performance Pack. That hits 62mph in 4.4sec and I’d not expect the new one to be significantly different.

Elsewhere Porsche has fitted aluminium uprights to the suspension to reduce weight, improve noise suppression and ride comfort, reprogrammed the steering to make the car feel a little more positive and introduced its tungsten-coated brakes as an option (look for white calipers).

Cosmetically, aside from the usual mild tweaks to lights and bumpers the big change is to the interior, with the adoption of the large central TFT screen bringing state of the art infotainment to the Porsche. The actual instrument display retains analogue dials, or at least did in the cars I drove.

Could I tell the difference made by the chassis changes without old cars present for comparison purposes? Of course not and neither could anyone other than a Porsche development engineer. They drove like, well, Macans, which is to say they drove brilliantly.

It’s a different matter with the engines. Regrettably I’d never driven a four-cylinder Macan before but I’d like to again because, contrary to expectations, it works really well. The engine is as smooth as it is in the Golf, genuinely characterful at high revs and unless you drive like someone set fire to your pants, more than capable of keeping up with the six-pot models. It was a genuine and very pleasant surprise.

The improvement to the Macan S was less dramatic but still welcome: the new engine is smooth enough and imbues the mid-range Macan with very impressive performance indeed, enough to make me wonder whether the Turbo would be worth it.

The 2.9-litre motor does indeed provide explosive acceleration and while there will be many people who just want the top model, I’d say the 3.0-litre S was a touch more refined and, in the real world, very little slower.

So, no transformation for the Macan, but then none was needed. Before this mid-life update it provided the most desirable range of mid-sized premium SUVs on sale, and I’d be staggered if the status quo has not been maintained.

Source: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/porsche-macan-prototype-2018-first-drive-refreshed-suv

--

The original Macan turbo is so good it’s not even worth to upgrade to the new one... The next worthy update will be the EV one.

I think the only two cars I need in my garage is an R8 an a Macan Turbo. Everything else seem to be pointless fluff indecision

--

bluelines:

I think the only two cars I need in my garage is an R8 an a Macan Turbo. Everything else seem to be pointless fluff indecision

Depends who you are listening to... Smiley

SciFrog:

The original Macan turbo is so good it’s not even worth to upgrade to the new one... The next worthy update will be the EV one.

Man, you really do love that car Smiley.

Just imagine if Porsche sold a Macan cabrio version with the GT3 engine then  indecision 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Just imagine if Porsche sold a Macan cabrio version with the GT3 engine then  indecision 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

But only if it will have rear seats. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

bluelines:

Actually R8 and E63S. Smiley

--

I guess you don’t change something that sells very well...

SciFrog:

I was amazed by the level of facelift on this car Smiley

can't spot any difference at the back apart from the new red line signature

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

The biggest change is the size of the screen in the cabin... Anyhow it is not that surprising since Macan are the best value in all Porsche lineup.

the-missile:
    SciFrog:

The designers must have been busy screwing up... oh, sorry... perfecting the Speedster and the Taycan smiley

--

bluelines:
    the-missile:
    SciFrog:

The designers must have been busy screwing up... oh, sorry... perfecting the Speedster and the Taycan smiley

surely related to how to pronounce the Tie-Con mess but write it another way to make it cooler Smiley

I guess it takes some time as well to find vintage side mirrors Smiley but the Macan facelift is above my expectations in term of absence of facelift SmileySmileySmiley

Porsche is taking a dangerous direction...Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM