Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche RSR caught testing at Sebring

Well power-wise it doesn't seems to be affecting too much, witness the 4 way battle towards the end of the Rolex 24hr, all 4 different cars are basically doing the same speed and lap times. 

The Ford GT might have the edge in initial acceleration out of corners, but the RSR soon catches up anyway with better drafting dynamics. But on a pure road course the RSR might have a bigger deficit on corner exits.

At Le Mans, the drafting advantage might played into Porsche's hands with the longer straights and higher speed. 

--

Probably best to wait and see a full race in more normal conditions.

With the BOP I am on one hand concerned and the other not. I do not think that the engine is the big issue, though the turbo does give some advantages and is the future. Porsche can squeeze more power out of it, if they need to, but BOP can be the deciding factor. Just look at the Ford's last year at Le Mans. 

I think that the target must be to have a car which is easy to set up, easy to drive and which will not kill tires. It could look as if Porsche have found some of this, and I would be surprised if they cannot find more in the car over the coming races. This was the very first race with the car !!! 

We should have a great season ahead of us.

I'm not that optimistic.

A look at the average TOP 20 times shows the Porsche a good half second (+) off the pace.

More than HP, it is Torque that gives the Turbo's a real advantage. If I was going into a fight, I would make sure that I had the same weapons that those of my adversary. In that way, if the organizers get the BoP wrong , it will be the same for all. 

Not having the same weapon , means that if the BoP is not set correctly for your specific package, only you will suffer.

It is not just not having the same type of engine, they also don't have the carbon-fiber chassis.

http://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news/ferrari-and-porsche-turned-it-up-claims-gtlm-winner-muller-869536/

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

http://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news/ferrari-and-porsche-turned-it-up-claims-gtlm-winner-muller-869536/

That is nonsense: Up from what? Porsche's best time is a full half a second off the the #67's pace.

Spyderidol:

I'm not that optimistic.

A look at the average TOP 20 times shows the Porsche a good half second (+) off the pace.

More than HP, it is Torque that gives the Turbo's a real advantage. If I was going into a fight, I would make sure that I had the same weapons that those of my adversary. In that way, if the organizers get the BoP wrong , it will be the same for all. 

Not having the same weapon , means that if the BoP is not set correctly for your specific package, only you will suffer.

It is not just not having the same type of engine, they also don't have the carbon-fiber chassis.

But are we sure that the BOP will stay as it is ?? In my view obviously they would gain from a BOP adjustment, but if you have a car which can drive fast the first 10 laps on the tires, and then meltdown, then the engine power is less of a concern. I am with you on the current facts, also that I would rather have a turbo engine but let us not panic, this was the first race.

BoP will change almost constantly  and as per the "political" needs.

I look forward to seeing who the ACO would like to have win the GTE class at Le Mans this year.

My apologies for my cynicism - I abhor the current BoP driven racing and I am still not convinced that Porsche have made the right choices (with the RSR). Let's see. They did very well at Daytona, but it was a very wet race (where Porsche has a substantial advantage). 

Sebring is up next. That will give us further insight.

The #911 RSR made an extra 3 pitstops compared to the #67 Ford. Had they even made one less the RSR would have bene ahead by about 90 seconds. Or maybe not cause of the lovely long full course yellows which basically neutralizes any advantages.

--

All things equal, the Ford is still ahead. Trust me.  Then there's the BOP and also the American rules which favor show over sport. I'm disappointed for Patrick who's a good friend but after all, he almost finished third,,,

We finished 9th in class in a Huracan. Tough race, shit conditions, shit car, shit weather, missed the roar, all in all, not a bad result. 

Futch. How is this track to drive. On tv it looks like a compromise with this long boring oval, but from the driver seat ?

tso:

Futch. How is this track to drive. On tv it looks like a compromise with this long boring oval, but from the driver seat ?

It's OK, the infield is a bit boring and the banking is cool. I've never driven Sebring but generally drivers prefer it. At daytona you need hp and traction. Pilet was doing fine but by attacking like a dog he was losing his tyres and eventually the Ford made the break. 

US racing has a great atmosphere but not a fan of the rules, 23 hours for nothing and one hour sprint race. It's good for the show and fans I guess. In LM you lose several laps, that's it you're done, see you next June...

Futch:

Pilet was doing fine but by attacking like a dog he was losing his tyres and eventually the Ford made the break. 

That does make sense, one could see on the onboard footage that he had quite a bit of oversteer in the last two laps chasing the Ford before he slightly fell behind. 

I agree with you that the Ford GT still seem to have a comfortable position up front, unless they make mistakes there won´t be many chances to beat them. Unless there is a significant change in BoP over the course of season.

Futch:
    tso:

It's OK, the infield is a bit boring and the banking is cool. I've never driven Sebring but generally drivers prefer it. At daytona you need hp and traction. Pilet was doing fine but by attacking like a dog he was losing his tyres and eventually the Ford made the break. 

US racing has a great atmosphere but not a fan of the rules, 23 hours for nothing and one hour sprint race. It's good for the show and fans I guess. In LM you lose several laps, that's it you're done, see you next June...

I found Sebring hard purely because of the track surface. It really beats you to sh!t. Nice track other than that. The banking at Daytona is really fun but the first time there we weren't geared right and were sitting near the redline on a somewhat light throttle load for so long that the car threw the fan belt twice. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Watching the opening laps at Sebring only reinforces my skepticism about Porsce's choice for going with this mid engine non-turbo car. They simply cant keep up with the fords and the corvettes.

Watching too. 

It's a 12hr race, if it can last longer than the Ford and Corvette, which is not that likely, it can have a chance to win.

Depending on how Le Mans ended up, Motorsport might switch to the turbo engine next year, and one can say bye bye to the GT3RS, the GT2RS will be the base for the new race car. 

--

After 8 hours 20 mins, #911 Porsche 911 RSR is leading the GTLM class, ahead of Ford GT in second and third... Smiley

Wow, what a heart breaker for the Porsche #911, slow puncture while chasing down the 1st place Corvette. 

Those RSRs have amazing pace when the temperature drops that's for sure!

--

Hi Spyderidol, what do make of the performance of the RSR after the season's 4 initial race events, Daytona and Sebring in the US and Silverstone and Spa in WEC?

In Spa, they were almost 2 seconds off the pace in both qualifying and the race itself...not in the same league as the Ferrari and Ford.

It does not seem like the N/A versus turbo bet is paying off and the car's fundamental re-design has so far not yielded the desired results.

I was never convinced by this option that Porsche took, and it seems that I may be right. Lets see how they perform at Le Mans. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until then....but things don't look good.

I was at the WEC in SPA this weekend. During the pit walk I looked at the car close by but there is no way you can see any details of the engine. The wheels were off but you could not see anything. The diffuser and exhaust are off course clear to see. In de eau rouge the car was very stable and sticking to the track. The Ferrari and Ford we extremely close, the 2 Porsches a bit slower. Could it be that they are sandbagging?

Mark Webber also passed by and gave some comments on the race, nice guy!

IMG_1958.jpg

Without turbos the Porsche's don't have the added torque to exit corners fast.

That deficit is magnified on the straight then the corner after. Rinse and repeat fro every corner.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763060 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435686 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260691 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257683 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872583 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808025 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM