Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Wait for the supercharged AMV8

997s RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to pay up just to own something few have, could be a problem with the vantage when the uninformed confuse it with the new Jaguar XK

Quote:
    Sailor said:
    If you want to pay up just to own something few have, could be a problem with the vantage when the uninformed confuse it with the new Jaguar XK

You mean the Jaguar XK that looks like a Mercury Cougar?

AMV8 vs. XK pictures dont tell the real story

Close up they look completely different: different proportions, different size, different stance. In real life you would have to be Stevie Wonder to confuse them. See them in the flesh and it's very obvious they have different roles and serve different market segments.

And you put the Jag next to the Couger you would really have to have a few lightbulbs missing if you throught they were related...

Re: AMV8 vs. XK pictures dont tell the real story

First Look: 2007 Jaguar XK
    Mirror Image: Maybe you've seen this look before--but don't tell Ian Callum

By Angus MacKenzie
    Photography by Mark Bramley
    Motor Trend, October 2005

Jaguar design chief Ian Callum is a touch peeved by suggestions the 2007 Jaguar XK coupe looks--ahem--somewhat like an Aston Martin. "What the hell did people expect?" he snaps, his soft Scots brogue edged with exasperation. "It's a Callum car."

Re-read my points

Guigaro, Pininfarina, Zagato all have "signatures" about their designs, but the cars look different.

The AMV8 and XK have Callum's signatures for sure, but in the flesh they look very different cars. I'm shocked by MacKenzie's piece - he's clearly lost some of his journalistic skills since he left "Car" - that's just crass.

Re: Re-read my points

Motor Trend has gone so far south since that guy showed up. Not that it was ever the pinnacle of automotive journalism or anything, but MacKenzie has tried such an artsy-fartsy foo-foo absolute-nonsense approach to the magazine, that I have a hard time reading it.

He's so caught up in being avant-garde, he's lost sight of what BASIC and key ingredients people want in a magazine. The graphics are so over-done and artsy that it's hard to read anything without your peripheral vision constantly annoying you, and your eyes constantly wandering from the text. ANNOYING.

The photography is superb if you're aiming for automotive art. There's only one problem. It doesn't show the details of the CARS worth a damn. Good luck if you want a clear shot under the hood, or the interior, that isn't the size of a thumbnail. I get all these blurry and poorly-lit artsy-fartsy shots, but I'll have to wait for an example to hit a showroom before I'll have any clue what the interior and details look like, or simply what the car looks like on its own merits, without being part of some stupid "scene" that the photogs and art directors are dreaming up at Starbucks.

And then there's the articles. Critiqueing cars the same way you would a film or a plate of food, is just worthless, if you're hoping to learn anything practical to help in your decision-making process.

In short, I used to enjoy Motor Trend because it was so chock full of CONTENT, from exotic to pedestrian cars. It was straightforward, had alot of good clean clear pictures of detail, and the writing had a good sense of humor, while getting to the POINT.

Now it's just a self-indulgent exercise in trying to hard to be avant-garde and "hip" and "European". It sucks, and it gives me a damn headache trying to muscle through it. God forbid there be an article on a car that I've been dying to finally see, because I'll see very little of it, and none of it in focus or in prominent frame. They're trying to capture the car's "spirit", when I could care less, I want to see what the car looks like against a simple background that showcases the car, and I'll decide the "spirit" for myself thankyou.

Sorry, had to rant.

Re: March Car and Driver has AM V8 beat the 997S..

I asked an AM main dealer's Sales Manager which car HE thought was the best in all round terms. His answer surprised me somewhat - "If you want a car that doesn't break down every other week, get the 997"

This is not the first time I have heard about poor reliability from Aston Martin. From all the people I have talked to that have been involved with AM, they have all said that have two problems: reliability and massive depreciation. The two are probably related.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    EnglishManInNY said:
    Just got my digital version of the March edition of Car and Driver and they rate the AM V8 better than the 997S basically because there will be 3,000 versus 30,000 997s and the fact they say it is exotic while the 997S is just 'familar'...

The 997S just blows the AM V8 away from their performance tests.

997S/AM V8
    0-60 4.3/5.1
    0-100 10.7/12.3
    1/4M [Email]13.6@105/12.8@111[/Email]

If performance is what you want (for the price) then Porsche isn't what you want. The Z06 will blow it out of the water for a lot less money.

I can't figure some of you out... some of you use the exclusivity card or the performance card based on whichever Porsche will win out on. If you would demand more of Porsche they would be forced to acknowledge their customer base.

I think Porsche is a good balance. They are exclusive and prestigious, with good performance. I wouldn't say that they are tops in either of these areas though. What Porsche have on all other cars right now IMO is feedback from the car. We've all read about the ZO6 having an uncommunicative chassis and somewhat vague steering. If that's the case, it could almost ruin the whole experience, regardless of performance per dollar. That sense of connection that Porsches give is unrivaled.

Don't forget "Layer Cake"

EVO tested the 997 C4 against the RS4 and the Evo IX. The Evo walked it soundly trouncing the C4.

It all comes down to where you are in the market. The 'vette boys see no point in spending all that extra on a 911 for no performance gain, and neither do M3 owners. and Mitsubaru owners think we're all nuts when they can get the same performance for even less.

Wherever you are in the "Layer Cake" you take pot shots at the layers above you.

So it's fine for us to knock Aston Martin and Maserati as poor value for the performance, but remember people have a right to do the same to us too...

Re: Don't forget "Layer Cake"

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    So it's fine for us to knock Aston Martin and Maserati as poor value for the performance, but remember people have a right to do the same to us too...

Good point!

Re: Don't forget "Layer Cake"

For me, the decision was easy. I decided on the V8 because of its beautiful design and exclusivity. A few seconds between stoplights or around a track might be a deciding factor for some, but not for me. The Aston will be more than fast enough to get me around all the SUVs littering the highways these days. Different strokes for different folks.

John

Quote:
    John H said:
    I asked an AM main dealer's Sales Manager which car HE thought was the best in all round terms. His answer surprised me somewhat - "If you want a car that doesn't break down every other week, get the 997"

Is that what is meant by the idiom "Honest to a fault"?

Quote:
    EnglishManInNY said:
    Just got my digital version of the March edition of Car and Driver and they rate the AM V8 better than the 997S basically because there will be 3,000 versus 30,000 997s and the fact they say it is exotic while the 997S is just 'familar'...

The 997S just blows the AM V8 away from their performance tests.

997S/AM V8
    0-60 4.3/5.1
    0-100 10.7/12.3
    1/4M [Email]13.6@105/12.8@111[/Email]

What can I say, the Club Coupe had me at first sight

Hmmmm,

How come this AMv8 is slower than others that have been tested.......?

I have nothing but respect for the 997S. However, I am absolutely not interested in having one. It is simply much too common to generate any excitement for me. As a matter of fact, I have placed a deposit on the AMV8 without ever bothering to test drive the 997S. Finally there is a sportscar that is "close" to the 911 in terms of handling and performance( 8:03 at the 'Ring when fitted with P zero tires) but absloutely blows it out of the water in terms of styling, fit and finish, exclusivity and "mystique".For slightly more money you can get an Aston, who in his right mind wouldn't go for it? I don't want to hear about 0-60 times because there are significantly cheaper cars that are faster than both the porsche and the Aston.

Quote:
    birdness said:
    For slightly more money you can get an Aston, who in his right mind wouldn't go for it?

Slightly more, $82k versus $110k for the base car. Isn't that like $28 more or ~35% more...

I love the look of the AM but I wouldn't buy one....and I'm a Brit!

the tires were not regular pzeros, they were the semi-slicks
    if you look on boards that discuss the AM, there are many quality control issues showing up

i, too, wished that the AM would be a worthy competitor, but it apparently is not

aloha

steve

Never given the AM much thought...I can appreciate it's beauty , but it doesn't begin to stir me like the 997. The 997 is a better looking car to me and I believe it's timeless (the AM will likely look dated within 5-10 years). The 911 is the all around best car ever made , IMO. It does everything so well!

Quote:
    birdness said:.For slightly more money you can get an Aston, who in his right mind wouldn't go for it?

I love the looks of the V8 Aston, simply beautiful... but is its a enjoyable and sporty to drive as the Porsche? is is as fast and effective in the streets as the Porsche? is it as reliable as the Porsche? is it as practical as the Porsche? etc.
    ... the only thing the front engined supercharged Aston has going for it is its looks and that its more exclusive. Two qualities that are not at the top of the list in many Sportcars buyer's mind, like myself.

So it depends what you value most in a Sportcar, both are good respectable choices I just don't see them as competitors really, one is "the" sportcar, the other a stunningly beautiful sporty-coupe.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    birdness said:.For slightly more money you can get an Aston, who in his right mind wouldn't go for it?

I love the looks of the V8 Aston, simply beautiful... but is its a enjoyable and sporty to drive as the Porsche? is is as fast and effective in the streets as the Porsche? is it as reliable as the Porsche? is it as practical as the Porsche? etc.
    ... the only thing the front engined supercharged Aston has going for it is its looks and that its more exclusive. Two qualities that are not at the top of the list in many Sportcars buyer's mind, like myself.

So it depends what you value most in a Sportcar, both are good respectable choices I just don't see them as competitors really, one is "the" sportcar, the other a stunningly beautiful sporty-coupe.

I wouldn't call a car that can do the 'Ring in 8:03 a sporty coupe. Do not forget that the 997S did it in 8:05.

Quote:
    birdness said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:

I wouldn't call a car that can do the 'Ring in 8:03 a sporty coupe. Do not forget that the 997S did it in 8:05.

8:03 with semi slick tires....put the same tires on the 997S & see what happens

Quote:
    birdness said:

It is if the 8:03 was done a day with 28*C and Semi-Slick Corsa tires, while the 997S did 8:05 with 12*C and regular street tires. If the lap had been done the same day as the 997S and with the same tires, the Aston would of been in the sporty-coupe E46-M3 territory in terms of lap time.

There have been three differnt TV comparisons were they end up pointing the same thing, the difference in sportiness, the Aston is not meant to be pushed to the limit like the 911 is.

The Aston has a supercharged engine, it is front engined, its sterring and chasis setup is not as sporty, and weighs a whopping 500lbs more... that to me is a sporty coupe, though each is entittles to their own definition of a sporty coupe so there is no wrong or right. And I don't mean sporty-coupe as derrogatory, its just a different concept or class than sportcar, not better not worse. The Aston V8, marketing aside, is more along the lines of a Maserati Coupe.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    birdness said:

It is if the 8:03 was done a day with 28*C and Semi-Slick Corsa tires, while the 997S did 8:05 with 12*C and regular street tires. If the lap had been done the same day as the 997S and with the same tires, the Aston would of been in the sporty-coupe E46-M3 territory in terms of lap time.

There have been three differnt TV comparisons were they end up pointing the same thing, the difference in sportiness, the Aston is not meant to be pushed to the limit like the 911 is.

The Aston has a supercharged engine, it is front engined, its sterring and chasis setup is not as sporty, and weighs a whopping 500lbs more... that to me is a sporty coupe, though each is entittles to their own definition of a sporty coupe so there is no wrong or right. And I don't mean sporty-coupe as derrogatory, its just a different concept or class than sportcar, not better not worse. The Aston V8, marketing aside, is more along the lines of a Maserati Coupe.

I will respond to all your points:

point#1: In all fairness, we don't know what the temperatures were at the time of testing. It is equally probable that the test was done at 12 degrees for the aston and 28 degrees for the porsche, and not the other way around as you automatically suggest. All we have are the lap times so let us stick to hard facts.

Point #2; You cannot put semi-slick tires on a 997S as per the 911 instruction manual because, unlike the Aston, it does not have a dry sump lubrication system and you might get oil starvation effects on the engine with the high G forces that semi-slick tires would generate in cornering.Hence, semi-slicks are not an option for the 997S

point 3: The Aston is not supercharged, at least not yet

point 4: The 997S got a time on the "ring of 8:05 with the advantage of the sports suspension package AND carbon ceramic brakes, which the Aston does not have.

In spite of all of the above, I would still get the Aston simply on the basis that it is stunningly beautiful and incredibly rare. Just driving it would be an event each and every day!!!

Birdness, the Aston is a gorgeous machine.
    But your choice distilled down to its elements was made solely on the subjective criterion of "looks/ aura". That's fine, but any further commentary with respect to performance attributes of the AMV8 vs. 997S ring hollow, as you were not willing or able to drive the Porsche.

I drove the following vehicles before deciding on my 997S:
    - Aston DB9...only dealer within 120 miles had a nice pre-owned one 9K miles not too much more $$ than the Porsche.
    - MB SL...GT barge.
    - Maserati Cambiocorsa
    - BMW Z8(low miles '02), M3 ZHP(performance pkg)
    - Vette C6
    - Acura NSX ('05-- final yr of production)
    - Ferrari 355 (pre-owned collector's, in same $$ range)

Fortunately the dealer knew me and allowed me to take the demo 997S for an entire afternoon. The DB9 had the wood, the mahogany/burgundy leather, polished aluminum seat belt mounts...incredible aesthetics. But the 997S won out for several reasons, undoubtedly the clincher was the 'DOWNSHIFT--SQUAT--HAMMER THROTTLE--MISSILE LAUNCH forward' mind-fukk that was beyond comparison & only the 997S had this sensation of suction to the road, thanks to power/weight along with engine placement/incomparable chassis and suspension engineering. I literally had to get out of the car at the filling station, walk a couple of circles around the car in awe & genuflect.

Wish I'd had the chance to test the AMV8 but of course it wasn't yet available 9 mos ago.
    I owed it to myself to do the full comparo before settling on 'the one'.

I'm really not intending to pick on you here, birdness. I simply would find it interesting to get 997S driving impressions of a blind Aston V8 buyer who had not yet driven the 997S....Could we expect the same dismissive prejudicial approach of Clarkson!?
    Once again that's FINE, I personally find it educational, fulfilling and a lot of fun to have hands-on experience with all of these great cars.

Monologue over;
    when do you pick up the Aston?

I liked your response Damian. I should be receiving my AMV8 in approx. 12 months, but there may be delays as Aston Martin is not used to producing vehicles in such large numbers for them (eventually 3000 per year). You tried the DB9 but the AMV8 is a completely different beast, probably closer to a 997S in feel. As good as a 997S undoubtably is, I know that nothing can replace the "intangibles" that I would get with the AMV8 and that is why I will probably not test drive a 911S prior to placing my final order. I hope that I am not being myopic but I know that I am convinced. Unfortunately, 911s have simply become too commonplace and I am looking for something "special". As Clarkson has said when he reviewed the AMV8: "I know the 911 is slightly better as a sportscar, but I just DON'T CARE!!!!

Quote:
    birdness said:

point#1: In all fairness, we don't know what the temperatures were at the time of testing. It is equally probable that the test was done at 12 degrees for the aston and 28 degrees for the porsche, and not the other way around as you automatically suggest. All we have are the lap times so let us stick to hard facts.

Yes we do know the temperatures at nurburgring the day of the test, that is all recorded. 12*C for the 997S and 28*C for the AMV8.

Quote:
    birdness said:
    Point #2; You cannot put semi-slick tires on a 997S as per the 911 instruction manual because, unlike the Aston, it does not have a dry sump lubrication system and you might get oil starvation effects on the engine with the high G forces that semi-slick tires would generate in cornering.Hence, semi-slicks are not an option for the 997S

No. The 997S can use semi-slicks tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, Pirelli PZero Coras, etc), they are no problem for the lubrication on the 997S.

What it can't use is slick tires, if you want that you get te GT3, similarly priced to the Aston and yet much much more approppiate to use slick tires than the Aston. And even though the Aston has a dry sump, the chasis and suspensions are not designed to cope with them, nor is it a car designed for the track use, the only place you can use slick tires. SO the dry sump on an Aston is of no advantage over the 997S, they can both use semislick yet the 997S can cope with the track better or with gripier tires.

Quote:
    birdness said:

My apologies, you are absolutely right, I don't know how I wrote that

Quote:
    birdness said:
    point 4: The 997S got a time on the "ring of 8:05 with the advantage of the sports suspension package AND carbon ceramic brakes, which the Aston does not have.

The Sport Suspension is STANDARD equipment on the 997S so its no advantage.
    The PCCB brajes aren't but they won't make much difference, the suspension and the tires do.

Quote:
    birdness said:
    In spite of all of the above, I would still get the Aston simply on the basis that it is stunningly beautiful and incredibly rare. Just driving it would be an event each and every day!!!

Thats your choice and its perfecly respectable, and no one is denying the beauty of the AMV8

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 997S is "better", that depends on what you are looking for, the 997S is more the sportcar of the two and the AMV8 is more the looker and more exclusive. The AMV8 can be better for you and the 997S better for me at the same time. So congrats on your order and enjoy it!

ohhh dear these discussions are everywhere at the moment.
    911 or AMV8...

A small difference in laptimes and straightline speeds that will not be noticed in all but the most spirited of drives or by the most accomplished drivers..

Its not the reason or justification any of us have really used to buy a car is it?
    Anyway.. I have an V8 Vantage and 996 tt, I have not sat in my turbo since getting the v8 a few weeks back. The v8 is a far better car than I expected. The suspension set up could be "harder" but apart from that i have no complaints, and no one here has mentioned the main reason for getting a V8, the heavenly exhaust note..which is the best thing I have ever heard.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    birdness said:

Yes we do know the temperatures at nurburgring the day of the test, that is all recorded. 12*C for the 997S and 28*C for the AMV8.

Quote:
    birdness said:

No. The 997S can use semi-slicks tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, Pirelli PZero Coras, etc), they are no problem for the lubrication on the 997S.

What it can't use is slick tires, if you want that you get te GT3, similarly priced to the Aston and yet much much more approppiate to use slick tires than the Aston. And even though the Aston has a dry sump, the chasis and suspensions are not designed to cope with them, nor is it a car designed for the track use, the only place you can use slick tires. SO the dry sump on an Aston is of no advantage over the 997S, they can both use semislick yet the 997S can cope with the track better or with gripier tires.

Quote:
    birdness said:

My apologies, you are absolutely right, I don't know how I wrote that

Quote:
    birdness said:

The Sport Suspension is STANDARD equipment on the 997S so its no advantage.
    The PCCB brajes aren't but they won't make much difference, the suspension and the tires do.

Quote:
    birdness said:

Thats your choice and its perfecly respectable, and no one is denying the beauty of the AMV8

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 997S is "better", that depends on what you are looking for, the 997S is more the sportcar of the two and the AMV8 is more the looker and more exclusive. The AMV8 can be better for you and the 997S better for me at the same time. So congrats on your order and enjoy it!

Birdness, don't try to argue with Carlos, unless you have REAL facts !!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781768 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442801 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263469 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261865 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85959 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5990 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881634 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819540 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM