Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayman bumper on a Boxster? - Part II

Okay, I finally found two photos taken from the exact same angle and merged them. This is the standard boxster with the original frontbumper. And on the second pic you got the same car with the Cayman front.

I already ordered all the parts to have my Boxy modified. So I will be able to post some real pics soon. Although my car is black and the difference won't be that clearly visible on dark cars.

Re: Cayman bumper on a Boxster? - Part II

Pic 1

Pic 2:

while I admire your guts in doing this (no doubt expensive, both from parts, fitting and depreciation), I actually prefer the boxster front as I think the Cayman fog lighs are the weakest part of the design.

The boxster is great as it is! No change needed!!!

I couldn't agree more!!

It's all a matter of taste so no one is right or wrong on this one but I personally like the front and back of the Cayman much better than the Boxster 987. IMO the best front and back the Boxster had was the 986 03 facelift model, Of course the light are much nicer now.

I rather like it Martin, you have to post some pix when done. Are you sure the front will fit?

I really like the more aggressive look of the cayman front, good thing you've got black so hopefully it will somehow hide out the outline of the foglights.

good luck man and thanks for the effort, I really did wanted to see how it would look like.

Do you think you could add the rear off the cayman as well? I mean the arches man... the arches :P
    -Joost-

Silly question perhaps but may I know where do the turn signals go after you swap the bumpers?

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Silly question perhaps but may I know where do the turn signals go after you swap the bumpers?

They stay where they are. Neither the Boxster nor the Cayman have the turn signals in the bumper.

Great Photoshop work! Prefer it without the Cayman fogs myself!

Wow... I didn't think I'd like it, but that does look pretty good...

i prefer the boxster front .more sexy,,

Martin, is your 986 a tiptronic or standard? What about your 987 in black? So you have 2 black cars I presume.

Looks good! How much was the bumper?

Quote:
    ptcja said:
    Martin, is your 986 a tiptronic or standard? What about your 987 in black? So you have 2 black cars I presume.

I don't have a 986, but a 996 TT and a 987. And yea... both cars are black (non-metallic) and tiptronic.

@turbokuo: The parts for the Cayman bumper are suprisingly cheap. ALL parts (incl. foglights and all the tiny bits and pieces) amount to 900 Euro (incl. German VAT).

But what would a Cayman look like with a Boxster front bumper?

Martin, you should do something similar from the front. That'll convice more people...I don't like the yimpy center hole in the Boxster S. Every other Porsche has more aggressive center openings.

Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    Martin, you should do something similar from the front. That'll convice more people...I don't like the yimpy center hole in the Boxster S. Every other Porsche has more aggressive center openings.

Yea, I agree. But seen straight from the front of the car, the Boxster will just look exactly like the Cayman. Thus there's no real need to do a photoshopped image of the straight front-view. Just look at a Cayman from the front and that's the exact look you'll get with the Cayman front-bumper (since all other parts are identical anyway).

I think the Cayman bumper looks better on the Boxster than on the Cayman. Maybe the Boxster bumper looks better on the Cayman?!

Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Quote:
    turbokuo said:

Yea, I agree. But seen straight from the front of the car, the Boxster will just look exactly like the Cayman. Thus there's no real need to do a photoshopped image of the straight front-view. Just look at a Cayman from the front and that's the exact look you'll get with the Cayman front-bumper (since all other parts are identical anyway).

Duh, what was I thinking! Although for some reason I think the Cayman bumper will look better on a Boxster from the front angle because the Cayman's bubbly top from the front is distracting.

Amazing, a convertible Cayman, someone should suggest it to Porsche!

I can't decide which looks best, but it'll sure confuse a few cayman drivers.

Cayman bumper fits the Boxster like a glove...

Another view. Even the air ducts are identical. I will post more pics once the conversion is complete. Or maybe I'll wait for a sunny day to post pics with the top down which show how it looks on an open Boxster. My guess is that it'll look stunning.

Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Another view. Even the air ducts are identical. I will post more pics once the conversion is complete. Or maybe I'll wait for a sunny day to post pics with the top down which show how it looks on an open Boxster. My guess is that it'll look stunning.

I wonder if Porsche will ever introduce a Cayman S Cab. .

Nice job though .

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:

I wonder if Porsche will ever introduce a Cayman S Cab. .

Nice job though .

Forget about a cab, what would you say about a Cayman Targa? Looking at the lines of the Cayman I think it would be really nice. I could think at either a similar system than the one used on the 996 targa or what about CGT style panels? food for thought.

Quote:
    senra said:
    Forget about a cab, what would you say about a Cayman Targa? Looking at the lines of the Cayman I think it would be really nice. I could think at either a similar system than the one used on the 996 targa or what about CGT style panels? food for thought.

That's exactly the car I would have bought if it exists. I LOVE the old Targa-models (not so the 996 "Targa" which is nothin else than an extended sunroof IMO). I asked a Porsche engineer about this at the Frankfurt Motorshow (IAA) and he said, it would not happen, because it would require too much re-engineering plus they have no clue where to store the panels (the latter may be a lame excuse) . However should Porsche ever consider to stop the Boxster-production (though I don't see this happen in the foreseeable future), a Cayman Targa could be the solution for those who want to combine mid-engined sportscar with "open air" fun.

Quote:
    senra said:

Forget about a cab

we already have one

Quote:
    Wild-Speed said:
    Quote:
    senra said:

Forget about a cab

we already have one

NO! I have one! MWUAHAHAHAAAARR!

After it's all done please take picture front with the top down. Thanks

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781697 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442781 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263456 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261844 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85950 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5981 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881619 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819490 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM