Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Talking of the Corvette Z06 and the 997 Turbo...

Quote:
    CF said:
    What if I were to go out and buy a Z06 based on marketing made by Corvette stating that the car can lap the Ring in 7.42,9 and later find out that this statement was completely false.

If the car eventually with a race car driver of Corvette's choice weren't able to reproduce that laptime or even get close, let's say 7.58-8.05 then what

I would like to sue them for false marketing.

You can't make claims as a manufacturer and later on not be able to back them up in independent tests.

What if they stated that the car had a topspeed of 225 MPH or that the car had 700 HP

You are absolutely right and that is why NO maufacturer EVER gives an OFFICIAL time especially at the Ring. The best you will see from them is an approximate time and they will indicate it is an estimate.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Van Sarma at one time a Porsche factory driver? If so, should we not consider this when determining objectivity?

Never heard of that, Nick. Sorry. I don't say it isn't true, I just never heard of it.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Few Z06 ring shots

But where are the license plates??? This is no street legal car on the pictures, sorry.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    My problem is why are times posted by Van Sarma "OFFICIAL" and times posted by another source "UNOFFICIAL".

OFFICIAL time means: measured with certified equipment in the presence of witnesses and people who are working for the press, the Nuerburgring and maybe even others. The Supertest times have never been questioned by anybody who is seriously involved in car testing/car manufacturing/car development. A non-official time is a time taken by somebody in his car with a stop watch or whatever. This is BS. Especially if nobody knows if this time has been done with a flying start or from standstill.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Few Z06 ring shots

But where are the license plates??? This is no street legal car on the pictures, sorry.

Not only that, RC, GM DID mod. the car for this run-suspension change at the least. This car technically was NOT stock.

How do we know that? i cant imagine they claimed it in the press somewhere?

I will say it again.
    Corvette Z06 cant not be 32 second faster than C6 whith only 20 kg. less 100 hp more and not major chassis changes and body changes.

Before I told you the C6 did 8:15 at the ring and the Carrera 2 (996) 8:17 wich shows the vette is not a good ring car wich means is not a good twisty bumpy road car (wich is fine)

Do not think of the ring as a track because it has nothing to do with any other track is more a road.

For example the same 2 cars in the same test at Hockenheim did
    C6= 1min14,8
    996= 1min 17,2
    So in such a short race track 2,4 seconds is a HUGE difference.

So lets forget about your belives. This data shows the Corvette is a good car for smooth open surfaces and tracks where you have to brake, turn once and accelerate.

Because of it chassis design is not good for the ring where you have continuos weight transfers, bumps, degree changes and so on.

This does not mean the Z06 is a bad car against a Porsche what it means it is better in some places and worst in others.

Z06 vs 997TT will be very close at Hockenheim but Z06 does not stand any chance at the ring. For that you need wings, new suspension design and setup. Leaf springs just do not work under this circumstances where there is the need of many weight transfers and road surface is bumpy. Leaf springs however perform well when they don't need to work a lot (smooth surfaces and simple turns as found in 90% of the tracks of the world)

Cheers
    PS NSX R (2003) which is a design of 1989 did 8:09 at ring and 1:14,6 at Hockenheim with 280hp wich shows power is not everything and both Porsche and Chevrolet could learn out of this.

Quote:
    RC said:

Valid question though.

Most sports cars(high end or not) don't have front license plates in Cali. Many cars don't even have a place to hang one! It must be different in the EU?

That pic of the Z06 airborn is insane! Going to test drive the GSpyder and Z06 back to back next week. Can't wait

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Van Sarma at one time a Porsche factory driver? If so, should we not consider this when determining objectivity?

You are wrong.

Quote:
    CF said:
    What if I were to go out and buy a Z06 based on marketing made by Corvette stating that the car can lap the Ring in 7.42,9 and later find out that this statement was completely false.

If the car eventually with a race car driver of Corvette's choice weren't able to reproduce that laptime or even get close, let's say 7.58-8.05 then what

You can't make claims as a manufacturer and later on not be able to back them up in independent tests.

What if they stated that the car had a topspeed of 225 MPH or that the car had 700 HP

Although Nick is a lawyer he never answered to my very similar question some months ago. I fully agree with you. The GM marketing strategy is inacceptable.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Few Z06 ring shots

Not only that, RC, GM DID mod. the car for this run-suspension change at the least. This car technically was NOT stock.

You Porsche guys are something. All you do is hang on this Ring Time. That's about the only thing you can cling to nowadays. 20 years ago you are the King. Today, there are many alternatives that beat you. You just can't stomach it.

Now, you are even saying the Z06 is not stock. Which is it? The Time is not official or the car is not stock therefore the time is no good. Anything else you want to throw out to discredit the time?

As a matter of fact, this 7:42.9 time was not reported by GM ever. It was reported by others and confirmed by GM. The first news of this time was publised on an Danish site because the driver of the test was by a Danish guy.

You guys are pathetic!

Unlike you, we give credits to the porschea. And it looks like the new turbo is going to be a hell of a ride. The new GT3RS will probably be super. But we don't go around discredit another car just because it has been shown to be faster.

Man, I wonder where are all the insecurity coming from.

Read these articles and you tell me if the 7:42.9 time is possible.

Nurburgring by Magnussen

2006 Corvette Z06

This thread has come out to be an all out Porsche vs. Z06 war:) Anyways, here is some info I gathered. I don't know how official or where it comes from, just passin it along.

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=3&fID=0&tID=10073

Scott

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

Although Nick is a lawyer he never answered to my very similar question some months ago. I fully agree with you. The GM marketing strategy is inacceptable.

You have to be joking!

Are you saying to me that the No. 1 Auto Maker in the World is resorting to false advertising to sell just 5,000 or so Z06's out of their millions of vehicles. Do you guys even hear yourself? You sounded like a bunch little children who saw that some neighbour's kid got a bigger toy. Man, how pathetic can you be?

These Z06's are selling crazy over in the US. If I had not been stuck in Shanghai working, I would've have snatched one up instantly. There are vedios of this stock Z06 running down a Gallardo and running even with a Carrera GT on a track event floating on the net. This new Z is every bit as good in performance as advertised. You don't believe me, I will look it up.

With just a simple 1 7/8" header and a slightly bigger cam swap, this car is making 554 rwhp, that is actuall power to the rear wheels not BHP that you all like to talk about.

Come on people, pull your heads out of your @sses and smell the coffee. You are in total denial!

Quote:
    WW said:

You Porsche guys are something. All you do is hang on this Ring Time. That's about the only thing you can cling to nowadays. 20 years ago you are the King. Today, there are many alternatives that beat you. You just can't stomach it.

Now, you are even saying the Z06 is not stock. Which is it? The Time is not official or the car is not stock therefore the time is no good. Anything else you want to throw out to discredit the time?

As a matter of fact, this 7:42.9 time was not reported by GM ever. It was reported by others and confirmed by GM. The first news of this time was publised on an Danish site because the driver of the test was by a Danish guy.

You guys are pathetic!

Unlike you, we give credits to the porschea. And it looks like the new turbo is going to be a hell of a ride. The new GT3RS will probably be super. But we don't go around discredit another car just because it has been shown to be faster.

Nurburgring by Magnussen

2006 Corvette Z06

Have you even read the full thread??
    And what about the Nissan R33 GT-R doing 7min59 in 1994 it was also correctly timed but the car was modded so much from standart trim it was over 15 seconds quicker

Quote:
    sshu930 said:
    This thread has come out to be an all out Porsche vs. Z06 war:) Anyways, here is some info I gathered. I don't know how official or where it comes from, just passin it along.

Scott

The track numbers posted are a mix of OFFICIALLY confirmed stuff, gossip, rumors and driver claims.

And let's say that the Z06 time is true: 7:56? Driven by the chief engineer? Pathetic. The 996 Turbo driven by Horst v. Saurma did the same time...with 100 HP less and 150 kg weight more. Five years ago.

Like I said before, I give the Z06 the credit of the doubt. But Z06 owners should also try to understand that it is very possible that their "bargain" supersportscar may not be as super as they think. This whole discussion reminds me a little bit of the F430 gossip we heard before the Supertest was done. And if somebody really thinks that SPORT AUTO is biased towards Porsche: look at the Gallardo and Murcielago track times.

The internet is a great place for gossip and rumors. I read so many fantastic track times on the Nordschleife, most of them under 8 minutes. Trust me guys: if you ever do the Nordschleife under 8 minutes in ANY car, consider yourself a pro driver. I didn't see ONE SINGLE OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED (Nuerburgring, independent press, guiness book of records, etc.) amateur driver in a STOCK CAR result under 8 minutes.
    Now count down 10 seconds and you'll understand how big the error margin is. It also depends if the driver starts from standstill or with a flying start.

Sorry, guys...you can say what you want, I believe ONLY CONFIRMED numbers.

Quote:
    sshu930 said:

Scott

Scott,

There is no war here. It is just very irritating to see people not facing up to the facts.

I respect the 996TT a lot. It is one of my all time favorite car. The new 997TT will just be more stunning. 60lb less and more power. I think it will run toe to toe with the new Z06. But to disparage the best sportscar to come out of Detroit in ages without any real experience with it is ludicrous!

Try this Video:

Gallardo vs. C6 Z06

Quote:
    WW said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

You have to be joking!

Are you saying to me that the No. 1 Auto Maker in the World is resorting to false advertising to sell just 5,000 or so Z06's out of their millions of vehicles. Do you guys even hear yourself? You sounded like a bunch little children who saw that some neighbour's kid got a bigger toy. Man, how pathetic can you be?

These Z06's are selling crazy over in the US. If I had not been stuck in Shanghai working, I would've have snatched one up instantly. There are vedios of this stock Z06 running down a Gallardo and running even with a Carrera GT on a track event floating on the net. This new Z is every bit as good in performance as advertised. You don't believe me, I will look it up.

With just a simple 1 7/8" header and a slightly bigger cam swap, this car is making 554 rwhp, that is actuall power to the rear wheels not BHP that you all like to talk about.

Come on people, pull your heads out of your @sses and smell the coffee. You are in total denial!

For one thing, they aren't going to be the #1 automaker in the world for long -- absolute garbage of a company that GM is. As much as all of us debate the Ring track times, if I were mulling to buy a 997TT, I wouldn't even be looking at a P-O-S, plastic filled, boat of a car that a Corvette is. I could care less if the Z06 was faster than a CGT. A Porsche is a Porsche - something that a maker of Cobalts and Silverados can NEVER be.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

I could care less if the Z06 was faster than a CGT. A Porsche is a Porsche - something that a maker of Cobalts and Silverados can NEVER be.

That's music to Porsche's ears. Their future success depends on 20 year old Kool Aid drinkers like you.

Quote:
    WW said:
    Try this Video:

Gallardo vs. C6 Z06

So what? WOW...the Z06 has gained two meters on the STRAIGHT LINE at what speed? And what about the drivers? I bet they both knew how to shift, right?
    And when the Z06 takes off, the Gallardo actually slowed down (you can hear it by the wind/engine noise).

1. NEVER EVER compare cars with different drivers, this is worth...NOTHING.
    2. straight line performance doesn't say anything (and if it would, the 997 Turbo would be faster, even with an auto tranny... )

You want to see a Porsche DRIVING (not playing around), watch this video: http://928supermodel.com/media/cgt.html

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    WW said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

You have to be joking!

For one thing, they aren't going to be the #1 automaker in the world for long -- absolute garbage of a company that GM is. As much as all of us debate the Ring track times, if I were mulling to buy a 997TT, I wouldn't even be looking at a P-O-S, plastic filled, boat of a car that a Corvette is. I could care less if the Z06 was faster than a CGT. A Porsche is a Porsche - something that a maker of Cobalts and Silverados can NEVER be.

That isn't fair to say. For the money, you simply can't beat what the Vette offers. Now OK, GM as a company leaves a lot to be desired, but despite being a plasticky piece of crap, the Vette is a serious performer, regardless of Ring time (and no, I don't buy the 7:42.9 time).

WW,

Ring performance is often quoted because of its applicability to road performance. It's not a smooth track, such as Hockenheim, it's a closed, twisty road, on which you can push your car to the limit. If the car TRULY achieved the 7:43 time, its suspension HAD to have been tweaked, because it isn't set to handle such conditions stock (read the Motor Trend Vette vs. Viper comparo).
    Gotta give credit where credit is due though. The Corvette is no slouch and I'm glad such performance has become so affordable.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    ... Harley (sic) Haywood ...

Hey Nick,

"A" and "U" are nowhere near each other on the keyboard!

Wazzup?

Also, ever heard of integrating under the torque curve between shift point RPMs?

Didn't think so

Mike the worst thing you can do is get like Fritz.

That is positively offensive and the ultimate insult!

You're not going to let Nick get away with that slander, are you Mike.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    WW said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    CF said:

You have to be joking!

Loggerheads like you who probably have never owned either cars are the problem here on this thread. You have no clue, PERIOD!

Quote:
    WW said:
    Loggerheads like you who probably have never owned either cars are the problem here on this thread. You have no clue, PERIOD!

Seems to me that this "problem" has become very accute, very suddenly, very recently.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    WW said:
    Try this Video:

Gallardo vs. C6 Z06

So what? WOW...the Z06 has gained two meters on the STRAIGHT LINE at what speed? And what about the drivers? I bet they both knew how to shift, right?
    And when the Z06 takes off, the Gallardo actually slowed down (you can hear it by the wind/engine noise).

1. NEVER EVER compare cars with different drivers, this is worth...NOTHING.
    2. straight line performance doesn't say anything (and if it would, the 997 Turbo would be faster, even with an auto tranny... )

You want to see a Porsche DRIVING (not playing around), watch this video: http://928supermodel.com/media/cgt.html

I have never been on a board where there are so many uinformed idiots. I am out of here.

Problem resolved?

Quote:
    WW said:

You guys are pathetic!

Could you please inform yourself before posting nonsense like this

Quote:
    WW said:
    You have to be joking!

That is exactly what I am saying.

In case of the C6 it has been proven already. In case of the Z06 it will be proven soon. GM is cheating its customers.

Quote:
    WW said:
    Quote:
    sshu930 said:

Scott

Scott,

There is no war here. It is just very irritating to see people not facing up to the facts.

There are no facts. There is just your ignorance. Sorry.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780401 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442447 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263248 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261572 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85729 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5875 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881306 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818479 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM