Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed

BjoernB:

I recall to have seen Pictures of electric turbo's - so I don't think it's a issue as Long as you have a big enough Battery capacity storage somewhere in the car. I also recall that they want to get rid of traditional starter , waterpump etc and replace it all by electrification making the engine more compact and powerfull - all naturally evolving things....

Look no farther than the 918's engine, all auxiliary stuff are driven by electric, only the critical oil pump is build-in and engine driven. 

--

Just heard that the GT2 engine tech won't be that much different from the current 991.2 Turbo S engine. angry Apparently,  financial considerations and a too high price tag with alternative (advanced) tech were playing a role in this decision. I have no details yet but the 700 hp power claim is also gone, the car will have between 640 and 670 hp. To achieve a proper performance, the weight is around 100 kg lower than on the Turbo S, also lots of chassis elements have been taken over from the GT models. The GT2 has not beaten the 918 track time on the Nordschleife yet. angry

Also, apparently no manual, only PDK. Base price is currently rumored at around 250k EUR.

Take this rumor with a grain of salt since currently, we have no direct "source" within GT2 RS development.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

Just heard that the GT2 engine tech won't be that much different from the current 991.2 Turbo S engine. angry Apparently,  financial considerations and a too high price tag with alternative (advanced) tech were playing a role in this decision. I have no details yet but the 700 hp power claim is also gone, the car will have between 640 and 670 hp. To achieve a proper performance, the weight is around 100 kg lower than on the Turbo S, also lots of chassis elements have been taken over from the GT models. The GT2 has not beaten the 918 track time on the Nordschleife yet. angry

Also, apparently no manual, only PDK. Base price is currently rumored at around 250k EUR.

Take this rumor with a grain of salt since currently, we have no direct "source" within GT2 RS development.

I'd say, the GT3 is the one to go for with PDK or Manual. Unless, you spend most your time at the track, then the GT2 RS would make a lot of sense.

Otherwise, it's just turning on and off the vacuum cleaner during traffic. Few of them will be flown to London and we might see some in pieces, if it will carry over the attributes of the 996 GT2 widowmaker as you mentioned  Smiley

RC, your info on engine tech is disappointing and somewhat disquieting, given the car's track focus. I would feel much more comfortable if it was based on the new generation of NA GT car engines or at least some esrly version of 992 Turbo engine tech.

If true, they are being cheapskates again...

olli:

RC, your info on engine tech is disappointing and somewhat disquieting, given the car's track focus. I would feel much more comfortable if it was based on the new generation of NA GT car engines or at least some esrly version of 992 Turbo engine tech.

I hope the rumor is completely wrong but the source's track record is quite good. Smiley

It would surely be another disappointment for me, after their "benchmark", the 991.1 Turbo S. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    olli:

I hope the rumor is completely wrong but the source's track record is quite good. Smiley

It would surely be another disappointment for me, after their "benchmark", the 991.1 Turbo S. Smiley

i don't know why you say that RC. in fact, i have bashed the turbo S a lot (boring and all that) but in reality it is still a very good car. the top-of-the pop ferrari 488 and maclaren 650 are only a bit faster after all. i do believe that the GT2RS - even if it ends up being a GT3RS with a tuned turbo S engine - will be an amazing package. i just can't imagine 250K base list in germany, which will be 330K list in austria. if so then the 488Speciale will be a no-brainer.

The 991.1 Turbo S was indeed a fantastic car but no benchmark, sorry to say that. Even the 991.2 Turbo S is no benchmark. Benchmark in what? Performance? No. Track performance? No. Straight line acceleration? No. Price? No. Quality? No. An emotional benchmark? No. A very good sportscar and probably the best daily driver in it's class but other than that... yes I am not surprised Porsche doesn't seem to use the benchmark claim in their adds anymore. 

--

Kreso, any additional insights or input from you on the engine tech issue?

olli:

991.2 GT2 RS will have engine that is different in some key areas then 991.2 Turbo S engine.

Issues? My P source wrote to me that development is on schedule and that mules achieved desired numbers, both on the track and in straight like accelarations runs. How about this... Mclaren 720S mule will not be able to beat 991.2 GT2 RS on the Ring. Despite latest Trofeo tires and latest carbon tube etc. 

My view is somehow pretty subjective since I do not have an idea why would 991.1 GT3 RS owner switch to 991.2 GT2 RS. Aside from similar exterior design appearance, cars will be substantionally different in overall feel. 

991.2 GT2 RS will be the most powerfull and extrem 991 ever produced. It will be a monster. But for me, the question looking from aspect of sheer pleasure of driving is what will it offer more then 991.2 GT3 for example?

FWIW...Many mainstream USA insurance underwriters could not approve coverage for the last GT2(RS) - personal experience.

For comparison, my 2015 200 Toyota Land Cruiser's annual premium is higher than on my 2015 TT......

--

2015 Jet Black TT

NSXER:

For comparison, my 2015 200 Toyota Land Cruiser's annual premium is higher than on my 2015 TT......

Smiley

KresoF1:
    olli:

991.2 GT2 RS will have engine that is different in some key areas then 991.2 Turbo S engine.

Issues? My P source wrote to me that development is on schedule and that mules achieved desired numbers, both on the track and in straight like accelarations runs. How about this... Mclaren 720S mule will not be able to beat 991.2 GT2 RS on the Ring. Despite latest Trofeo tires and latest carbon tube etc. 

My view is somehow pretty subjective since I do not have an idea why would 991.1 GT3 RS owner switch to 991.2 GT2 RS. Aside from similar exterior design appearance, cars will be substantionally different in overall feel. 

991.2 GT2 RS will be the most powerfull and extrem 991 ever produced. It will be a monster. But for me, the question looking from aspect of sheer pleasure of driving is what will it offer more then 991.2 GT3 for example?

so correct kreso, but what to do when one has this horrible personality defect of feeling drawn to the newest and latest....well there is also this occasional kick of when you find yourself on a long straight and accelerate....other than that i cannot fathom that the GT2RS will give a better road driving experience than the GT3RS. as far as i am concerned, i believe i'll go for the 488Speciale instead, at least there will be a change of looks. 

but just to reiterate, the GT3RS is a wonderful car. i love to drive it, even in the city. it is always an experience and even a great daily.  next year i will slap on winter tyres and take it to MC for xmas vacations (need the winter tyres to get across the alps).

Thanks a lot, Kreso!

Thanks for posting Kreso kiss

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

What if it's only a GT2 and no RS

crayphile:
    NSXER:

Smiley

same here, I'm paying $100 more for my suv than my porsche,both are same age tho.

They know you are more careful and drive your sports car less...

I pay $800 year for my TT.  Not too bad. 

Leawood911:

What does it cover ? 

I pay about $ 2'100 for my RS and that covers everything you can think off : any damage on my car from what ever , any damage I do the others , theft , protection against retaliation , protection against higher premiums due to accident , injury    On passengers etc.....

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Jan 26, 2017 1:19:17 PM

KresoF1

Are you serious about this? If so, then thats going to be interesting to see.

KresoF1:
    olli:

How would your source know how fast the McLaren is on the ring? I don't think McLaren even tests their cars at the ring. I don't think I've ever seen any pictures of McLaren test cars on it...

I wouldn't be surprised if a stripped out hardcore GT2 RS is quicker than a 720S on the track, then again, the 720S will be a Spider with full interior and amenities, so that's not exactly saying much.

Gnil:
    Leawood911:

What does it cover ? 

I pay about $ 2'100 for my RS and that covers everything you can think off : any damage on my car from what ever , any damage I do the others , theft , protection against retaliation , protection against higher premiums due to accident , injury    On passengers etc.....

That is full coverage with a $500 deductible. It's good to live in Kansas.  It covers everything from theft to uninsured motorists hitting me and plain old dumb ass accidents. Including medical coverage of passengers etc.  Just like yours I'm certain. Kemper insurance.  the key is a good driving record with no tickets and accidents, age and believe it or not your credit rating contributes a lot to the cost. Mine is as close to 850 as you can get. 

Leawood911:
    Gnil:
    Leawood911:

What does it cover ? 

That is full coverage with a $500 deductible. It's good to live in Kansas.  It covers everything from theft to uninsured motorists hitting me and plain old dumb ass accidents. Including medical coverage of passengers etc.  Just like yours I'm certain. Kemper insurance.  the key is a good driving record with no tickets and accidents, age and believe it or not your credit rating contributes a lot to the cost. Mine is as close to 850 as you can get. 

i pay 600euros/month for registration+full cover insurance for my GT3RS in austria. and there is a 3K euro deductible on the insurance. on acquisition of the car i payed 20% VAT and 33% NOVA tax. this is real theft.

Leawood911:

Leawood911:

I pay $800 year for my TT.  Not too bad. That is full coverage with a $500 deductible. It's good to live in Kansas.  It covers everything from theft to uninsured motorists hitting me and plain old dumb ass accidents. Including medical coverage of passengers etc.  Just like yours I'm certain. Kemper insurance.  the key is a good driving record with no tickets and accidents, age and believe it or not your credit rating contributes a lot to the cost. Mine is as close to 850 as you can get. 

Yours is a 10 year old Turbo?

--

2015 Jet Black TT

noone1:
    KresoF1:
    olli:

How would your source know how fast the McLaren is on the ring? I don't think McLaren even tests their cars at the ring. I don't think I've ever seen any pictures of McLaren test cars on it...

I wouldn't be surprised if a stripped out hardcore GT2 RS is quicker than a 720S on the track, then again, the 720S will be a Spider with full interior and amenities, so that's not exactly saying much.

First, Mclaren tests their cars all over EU, just in pretty small numbers in comparison to Porsche. Second, there is already an estimated track times for 720S. Since it is brand new Mclaren development it is pretty good to know that last production 991.2 GT2 RS will be faster on the track. Porsche takes Mclaren products pretty seriously lately and they watched 720S development with interest.  

Not hard to rough estimate times for automotive engineers. P14 while 'brand new', it is still based on the 12C platform, which no doubt Porsche already had a database for, one can stimulate the performance of it just by changing a few parameters and they will have the ballpark figures. 

--

SciFrog:

They know you are more careful and drive your sports car less...

my 964 is all year around, just 3rd party and its $620 / year. SUV is full coverage, $1320 / year, 993 and the rest are different as one for race,the other one for work..., 

Whoopsy:

Not hard to rough estimate times for automotive engineers. P14 while 'brand new', it is still based on the 12C platform, which no doubt Porsche already had a database for, one can stimulate the performance of it just by changing a few parameters and they will have the ballpark figures. 

Smiley

"How would your source know how fast the McLaren is on the ring? I don't think McLaren even tests their cars at the ring. I don't think I've ever seen any pictures of McLaren test cars on it..."

This baby where on the ring this autumn. P1 LM

1485630405157Skärmavbild 2017-01-28 kl. 19.51.49.png

Kobalt:

"How would your source know how fast the McLaren is on the ring? I don't think McLaren even tests their cars at the ring. I don't think I've ever seen any pictures of McLaren test cars on it..."

This baby where on the ring this autumn. P1 LM

Kobalt setting things straight Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691198 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410270 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256291 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65765 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858905 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775238 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM