Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Car & Driver's 997TT -Many Pics and Info-

Yes obviously lights and led fogs still masked...

Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:
    Thanks for posting the article! The lower weight is definitely welcomed news.

Thanks again,

Amir

I wouldn't be so quick to swallow the lower weight pill just yet. Porsche says the 90lbs. reduction is due to the use of aluminum on the body, but, what they don't tell you is: How much of that 90lbs is offset by the fact that the 997tt is bigger than the 996tt? And the fact that it has more parts.

If I were to hazard a guess: I would say this is just Porsche's clever marketing of unladen (dry) weight and not curb weight.

For example: They say the CGT has an unladen of 3048lbs., but, actual curb weight is 3258.

So, I would say the 997tt will have a curb weight of about 3600lbs.

I'm not picking on Porsche, because, it appears this is common practice with European sportscar manufacturers.

thanks for posting !

anyone worried about the lowe noise level in the cabin? i actually want to hear MORE of the engine, not less!!

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    thanks for posting !

anyone worried about the lowe noise level in the cabin? i actually want to hear MORE of the engine, not less!!

Just strip out the insulation then, it isn't a lot of work.

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    anyone worried about the lower noise level in the cabin?

Yes!

I am!

I would like a lot less droning hum in the cabin of my 996TT X50 cabriolet. It gets damn annoying on trips around town when I can't "exercise" it properly.

That is the only reason I sometimes regret my choice of the X50 with the obviously less effective muffler.

Oh please, not another Corvette is a better deal than a Porsche argument. I have heard this over and over and over, for over 40 years now. If the turbo is unacceptable compared to the Z06, then don't buy it. Would you say that a F430 is unacceptable because it costs some 50K more than a Turbo, and the Turbo is as fast or faster?

Porsches, Corvettes, Ferraris, Aston Martins, etc., are all terrific cars for their market niches. We are lucky to have such wonderful choices...

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    AmirGT2 said:
    Thanks for posting the article! The lower weight is definitely welcomed news.

Thanks again,

Amir

I wouldn't be so quick to swallow the lower weight pill just yet. Porsche says the 90lbs. reduction is due to the use of aluminum on the body, but, what they don't tell you is: How much of that 90lbs is offset by the fact that the 997tt is bigger than the 996tt? And the fact that it has more parts.

If I were to hazard a guess: I would say this is just Porsche's clever marketing of unladen (dry) weight and not curb weight.

For example: They say the CGT has an unladen of 3048lbs., but, actual curb weight is 3258.

So, I would say the 997tt will have a curb weight of about 3600lbs.

I'm not picking on Porsche, because, it appears this is common practice with European sportscar manufacturers.

Well, the article does state that the 997TT is 90 lbs lighter than the 996TT - sounds like apples to apples the way it is worded.

Is the 997TT larger than the 996TT? I didn't think so, but I stand to be corrected too. (And how does it have more parts?)

Thanks for posting BD997

Something tells me that it will take about 3 weeks, after launch, before someone comes up with a mod to have the overboost function on permanently...

Quote:
    temm said:
    Something tells me that it will take about 3 weeks, after launch, before someone comes up with a mod to have the overboost function on permanently...

Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    Oh please, not another Corvette is a better deal than a Porsche argument. I have heard this over and over and over, for over 40 years now. If the turbo is unacceptable compared to the Z06, then don't buy it. Would you say that a F430 is unacceptable because it costs some 50K more than a Turbo, and the Turbo is as fast or faster?

Porsches, Corvettes, Ferraris, Aston Martins, etc., are all terrific cars for their market niches. We are lucky to have such wonderful choices...

The F430 is an exclusive vehicle that won't depreciate like the 997 turbo. That being said the 993 turbo was a performance king. Other manufacturers are now passing Porsche in their strongest department... performance.

At one time Porsche used to have top notch factory racing, exclusivity and top performance. No factory racing. Exclusivity is out the door. Top performance is now "nearly" top performance. As a Porsche fanatic... which of these developments should I be happy about?

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    Wonderbar said:

The F430 is an exclusive vehicle that won't depreciate like the 997 turbo. That being said the 993 turbo was a performance king. Other manufacturers are now passing Porsche in their strongest department... performance.

At one time Porsche used to have top notch factory racing, exclusivity and top performance. No factory racing. Exclusivity is out the door. Top performance is now "nearly" top performance. As a Porsche fanatic... which of these developments should I be happy about?

SCH,

Ferrari is only valued like that in the US, where demand seriously overwhelms supply. Used 430's are relatively cheap to find in Europe. Regarding performance, if you truly are a Porsche fanatic, I wouldn't worry about it. The Turbo S (X50) is still one of the kings to date. It can beat the 430, the Gallardo and the M6. The 997TT will be faster and I'm sure it will have a lot more than the stated 480 HP (probably around 500 HP, along with closer to 700 Nm of torque, instead of the claimed 620 Nm). It's good to be sceptical though, as that is what keeps Porsche from falling asleep on its laurels. Hopefully you'll be satisfied

I don't think that 997 Turbo will have any problems with its competitors. Especially with the Z06! Why do I think so??? Because I have 05 Corvette C6 and in spite the fact that it is a great car for the money, I am not capable to compare with the Carrera S ON THE DRAG STRIP! Both cars are with automatic gears, so the driver isn't so important.

This is just another proof that Porsche horses are somehow different, I think.... I don't believe that it will be different with the Z06...

Quote:
    temm said:

Sadly, I'm sure you're right

The time limit is undoubtedly configured to limit thermal overload of the heads. Even if available, I doubt that I would do it if I were to own a 997TT in the future.

I'd want mine to have Porsche reliability for the life of the vehicle

With a car that promises to hit 160 km/h in 8 seconds or less, 10 seconds of overboost should do for most conditions. How often on you on it for longer than that anyway?

Quote:
    amjf088 said:
    With a car that promises to hit 160 km/h in 8 seconds or less, 10 seconds of overboost should do for most conditions. How often on you on it for longer than that anyway?

Here? Often

The overboost sounds a bit gimmicky to me

Quote:
    vinnie said:

It is a lot of fun. I always wanted such a thing on a car, my old Lancia Delta Integrale had it, PURE fun.
    It was so easy to increase boost pressure on the Lancia, just a screw near the turbo charger...and voila, 1.2 bar instead of 0.9 bar boost without the engine black box emergency software status jumping in. Oh boy, I loved this car.

Quote:
    RC said:
    It was so easy to increase boost pressure on the Lancia, just a screw near the turbo charger...and voila, 1.2 bar instead of 0.9 bar boost without the engine black box emergency software status jumping in. Oh boy, I loved this car.

Seems like a wastegate actuator adjustment to make the spring stiffer for more exhaust gas to spin the turbines.

Re: Car & Driver's 997TT Test Drive!!!! -Many PICS-

Great Article, but would of liked more technical info and pics.
    The new air intake setup looks very intresting with either 1 huge air filter or 2 air filters.
    I dont like the overboost feature or any power restricting gizmos, as my reasoning is why cant the car handle the full power all the time. But then again its maybe like the Subaru STI jets that spray on to the intercoolers, but I very much dought that. Porsche have a great ability to be able to change peoples first perceptions of their models or features. Remember the Cayenne, everyone thought how can porsche make a SUV, they make sportscars. Now look at the Cayenne no SUV comes close in terms of driving dynamics and off-road. So I be be eating my words about the overboost as soon as I learn more.

I am a new first time Porsche owner(2006 c4s)...I LOVE my car so much I immediately put down a deposit for the upcoming 997tt when I heard about it....
    Now that I have seen what is comming, and Porsche telling me that a better car is comming soon, I'll withdraw my deposit,and wait for the Turbo S to come out.
    This car is fine,but it is no giant killer as I expected...the Turbo S will be and I'll pay for that!

Quote:
    jrlcarrera1 said:
    I am a new first time Porsche owner(2006 c4s)...I LOVE my car so much I immediately put down a deposit for the upcoming 997tt when I heard about it....
    Now that I have seen what is comming, and Porsche telling me that a better car is comming soon, I'll withdraw my deposit,and wait for the Turbo S to come out.
    This car is fine,but it is no giant killer as I expected...the Turbo S will be and I'll pay for that!

You guys are really funny, sorry that I'm getting a little bit "personal" now. First, a Turbo S won't be available for the next two years, at least this is what the latest rumors indicate. Judging by Porsche's model "policy", I'd even say that we won't see a Turbo S before 2009. Second, what do you expect from a Turbo S? The 0-60 mph performance is already at an extremely good level, not much room for improvement here. You may get from 0-125 mph in one second earlier in the Turbo S. When did you drive 125 or more lately in the US? One second. So please excuse my irony but you guys are making a huge mistake, not only missing all the fun of the first cars to come but also giving away your slot to other people who will be VERY VERY happy to jump in. Well, don't say I didn't tell you.

Quote:
    jrlcarrera1 said:

I fully agree with RC I would even say 2011 for Turbo S launch maybe 2010 as the Cayenne has receved a Turbo S upgrade earlier than previous model life cycles. The current 996 Turbo S still kills cars much more powerful than itself. I think someone mentioned this line previously in the thread, you must remember this "Porsche horses are diffrent to other manufacturers" ours are consistent. Case in point, when the then newly to be launched Turbo won Bmi`s "Fastest stock car battle" they did a 12,4 quater mile with the Turbo in 30'c heat now 12,4 is factory claims. The driver said if it was a cooler day he could ge it into the 11`s. porsche`s power delivery from engine flywheel to road surface is unrivaled in terms of econemy, the aft engine wheight distrobution gives great tourque to the rear wheels where it maters most.

Quote:
    P O R S C H E770 said:
    Quote:
    jrlcarrera1 said:

I fully agree with RC I would even say 2011 for Turbo S launch maybe 2010 as the Cayenne has receved a Turbo S upgrade earlier than previous model life cycles. The current 996 Turbo S still kills cars much more powerful than itself. I think someone mentioned this line previously in the thread, you must remember this "Porsche horses are diffrent to other manufacturers" ours are consistent. Case in point, when the then newly to be launched Turbo won Bmi`s "Fastest stock car battle" they did a 12,4 quater mile with the Turbo in 30'c heat now 12,4 is factory claims. The driver said if it was a cooler day he could ge it into the 11`s. porsche`s power delivery from engine flywheel to road surface is unrivaled in terms of econemy, the aft engine wheight distrobution gives great tourque to the rear wheels where it maters most.

Agree 99%-I still think 997TTS is out by 2008-9 (coupe-cab) at the latest. I'll probably go insane waiting that long, so 997TCab hopefully with powerkit available is my goal and one of my deposit choices. Love to here some recent gossip on TCab launch date.

No need to get personal...or defensive, we are all Porshe owners and/or fans here (i own a 2006 C4S that I absolutely love and would not trade for ANYTHING...exept the 997TTS!!!). The point is we all know what a KNOCK OUT turbo release would have been-500hp etc etc....and this isn't it!
    Porsche knows too and that is why they are developing the S, I actually think they will release it a lot sooner than 08.
    I may be wrong but we will soon know what the market reaction will be to this car...I for one will be happy to keep the C4S and wait for the turbo S...even if I have to wait for 08.

Quote:
    jrlcarrera1 said:
    The point is we all know what a KNOCK OUT turbo release would have been-500hp etc etc....and this isn't it!
    Porsche knows too and that is why they are developing the S, I actually think they will release it a lot sooner than 08.
    I may be wrong...

You are wrong and I try to explain why:

1. the 997 Turbo isn't out yet and you make funny claims about performance? Sorry but I can't accept that. We need to wait to see how the 997 Turbo performs before jumping to conclusions. One thing is for sure: the 996 Turbo S still kicks a.. and the 997 Turbo isn't only around 30 HP more powerful, it also is 50 kg lighter. Not to speak about other improvements regarding traction, torque distribution, throttle response, etc.

2. the Turbo S has traditionally always been the variant Porsche offers at the end of a model lifecycle. It will be the same with the 997 Turbo S. Why? Because you forget one thing here: the Turbo Powerkit (money money money... ) and the upcoming GT2. You won't see ANY trace of a Turbo S before Porsche hasn't sold at least for a year or two powerkits. And the Turbo S won't be available before the GT2 which is rumored for 2007, latest 2008.

3. a 997 Turbo S would not exceed a power gain (compared to the standard car) of around 30-40 HP. 30-40 HP provide around ONE second acceleration gain from 0-125 mph and a few kph more top speed. The 996 Turbo S had the same chassis like the 996 Turbo, no change here. So if you're hoping for a superduper 997 Turbo S, you better put your money on the rumored 997 GT1. Or go for the GT2.

I have a crystal orb here in my office...sometimes I see the future.

Quote:
    RC said:

2. the Turbo S has traditionally always been the variant Porsche offers at the end of a model lifecycle. It will be the same with the 997 Turbo S.

But RC, you ordered a 997 Turbo S in August last year... that is going to be a looong wait

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    But RC, you ordered a 997 Turbo S in August last year... that is going to be a looong wait

I changed my order for a 997 Turbo shortly after since I've been advised to do so. And I'm happy I did.

RC,

Where can I get my hands on this crystal orb?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:

I have a crystal orb here in my office...sometimes I see the future.

I can't live without RC!!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    vinnie said:

It is a lot of fun. I always wanted such a thing on a car, my old Lancia Delta Integrale had it, PURE fun.

I think it sounds like lots of fun, too!

And, technically it is very clever. Kind of like a computer-supervised version of the adjustable boost knob on my old 962. It couldn't be used for long, or the motor might melt. But, if one twisted it hard near the end of a race, one could pass most of the field!

Maybe there's a secret here?

I'm not very familiar with the exact circumstances under which specified power ratings are measured. The folowing is pure speculation:

What if the 997TT engine is specified @ 480 PS for steady-state power output? This would be AFTER the 10 seconds had elapsed. What if the extra .2 to .3 bar of boost during the 1st 10 seconds is in ADDITION to the 480 PS rating?

Wouldn't this arrangement make WAY over 500 PS during "boost phase"?

That would seem like LOTS of fun

People should wait to see exactly how this works before bad mouthing how "underpowered" the 997TT will be. Particularly for stop-light grand prix!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780563 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442490 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263285 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261597 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85749 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5895 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881330 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818596 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM