Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Someone hit me in the back!

The person was so dumb, he hit me directly from the back!!!! I was driving down the street and some guy with an old Honda Civic suddenly speed up and tail gated me and try to race me. At first, i thought, it is just another dumb person who thinks he can out run my porsche with a honda civic, and so i ignored him. A quarter of a mile later, the person in front of me suddenly slam on his brake and I of course did the same. Of course, due to the high performance braking system of my 997, I was able to stop immediately, but as soon as i stop, I look into the rearview mirror and see that the Honda Civic hit directly into the back of my car!! I don't understand how people don't know the limit of their own cars sometimes. He is way too close to me and think that his car can stop just as quick as mine! I called the police right after, and thankfully, the police gave him a ticket for following too close.
    Although insurrance will cover the cost of my fix, it still hurts, as all of you can imagine, when you see your beautiful porsche being hit directly from behind!!
    Thank god, my car still drives fine, but i just found out that i wouldn't be able to fix my car for 2 more weeks, since the collision center is fully booked. Sigh!

The Good news is, i just ordered a brand new Tubi Exhaust, and H and R springs.

Re: Someone hit me in the back!

Glad you are ok....Got to hate those moron's who do that kind of stuff. It's so irritating to deal with, it happened to me in my Cayenne last year, and although damage was minimal it's the inconvenience of not have the car for a few days.

Sorry to hear this. What did the person in the Honda have to say?

"Dumb?" I don't like your choice of adjectives. Stoopid, mfing SOB is about right; though I'd like to meet him personally to "evaluate" further.

The F... [censored] in the Honda should be sued for being STUPID !!!!

well done for not losing it on that t055er in the civic. hope everything works out ok for you!

JL13,

I hope the damage was minimal and your baby is like new in no time!

I guess you showed tremendous restraint in not choking him out.. or did you after the police left?

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    JL13,

I hope the damage was minimal and your baby is like new in no time!

I guess you showed tremendous restraint in not choking him out.. or did you after the police left?

Calm calm calm Rich ,, me I would of poked him in the eye ,, SO THERE !!! ..

throt...

Did you fall out of your car holding your neck?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Did you fall out of your car holding your neck?

LOL ,, ""THE CLASSIC WHIP LASH CLAIM"" , everyone tries that one on over here even on the 0.5mph donk..

throt..

Not everyone is as educated about cars as we are. Whenever I'm following a car, or being followed by a car, I make a rough calculation about breaking ability of each car.

On the freeway, I only follow a car (sometimes too closely!) which has worse brakes than mine (this applies to most cars out there), and never let a car that has worse brakes than mine follow me (at least not too close). If I'm being tailgated, I pull over or simply decelerate without braking - so that the other car passes me or backs off.

Just some defensive driving techniques...

Yeah, me too! Good points!

Throt, where have you been brother?

I cannot stand people that follow super close. The worst is when you look back and have a huge Suburban or truck right on your bumper since I know there's no way the can stop as fast as I can.

What did this [censored] say after he hit you?

Lately, it seems like I gotta deal with a guy like this everyday. I don't think I had such problems with the 996 but my 997 may be a bit more flashy than the 996 and now I got a kid with a Jap car with a wing on the back on my tail daily. I can't tell you how many times I thought I was about to be rear ended.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Yeah, me too! Good points!

Throt, where have you been brother?

Hi Bud ,,

Working my butt off and it will be the same throughout 06 , this was one of the stated reasons why I canceled in the original cancellation thread , I realised and figured my 06 schedule and thought corrr wait for things to settle a bit which will allow then more quality time and enjoyment..

So at the mo chilling here while the Mrs bakes me a cake ..

Bless her..

Take it easy Richard..

throt..

Good advise
    The nightmare over here in Germany are small and fast vans rushing at 160 km/h or even higher speed at the Autobahn fast lane - of course equipped with crappy break systems not made for such speed

Porsche-Jeck,

Yes, that is a nightmare. At least they seem to be much better drivers ( and have better maintained vehicles) than we have here, and they're not talking on the phone, tuning their radio...

Throt,

Don't work too hard! Hopefully, 07 will be the yr you place your order!
    ...Baking a cake...Oh, is that what you call it on your side of the pond?

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Throt,

Don't work too hard! Hopefully, 07 will be the yr you place your order!

You will be the first to know bud and I cant wait to see yours..I can feel your enthusiasm pour out from the monitor on my desktop , good luck to yu ..

Easy bud ..

throt..

Thanks a lot,Throt!

Yeah, I can't wait... it's tougher ( already) than I imagined!

Take care and all the best to you and yours! Enjoy!

LOL! Well, the damage really looks minimal, but guess how much it is to fix it, since i just got back from the collision center for an estimate, a stunning 7240 dollars to fix. Well, i was told that Porsche is one the of most expensive car to fix when hit from behind, but i still don't get why the fix is so expensive when the damage is not too serious, at least in my opinion. Now I will have to drive without my license plate on the back of my car for another 2 weeks.
    Well guys, when the honda dude got off the car, the first thing he said was...Fcck! I guess he is saying this to himself because he knows that he is SCREWED!

Oh, I have one question for you all, How does it hit the value of the car when i try to sell it later on in time? In other words, How much of a decrease in value? ty

can you post any pictures of it? i'm interested in seeing how they absorb crashes

thanks!

Quote:
    JL13 said:
    LOL! ... a stunning 7240 dollars to fix.

Let's all recite the German (yes German) Car Enthusiast's Repair and Maint Chant:

BMW very expensive
    Porsche extremely expensive
    Ferrari astronomically expensive.

lol, notice Audi was left out, probably on purpose.

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    lol, notice Audi was left out, probably on purpose.

Hehe, I dunno. I figure three is a magic number. Oh! isn't Audi just plain "expensive?" Borrrrrring. Too close to VW?

Sorry to hear about your experience. When I traded in my Boxster they did ask whether the car was in an accident. They even tracked the vin number and found out the car had been in an accident even though it was just a fender bender requiring me to get a new license plate and frame.

Hope your car gets fixed soon and let us know how to tubi exhaust and H+R springs work out.

Quote:
    JL13 said:
    The person was so dumb, he hit me directly from the back!!!! I was driving down the street and some guy with an old Honda Civic suddenly speed up and tail gated me and try to race me. At first, i thought, it is just another dumb person who thinks he can out run my porsche with a honda civic, and so i ignored him. A quarter of a mile later, the person in front of me suddenly slam on his brake and I of course did the same. Of course, due to the high performance braking system of my 997, I was able to stop immediately, but as soon as i stop, I look into the rearview mirror and see that the Honda Civic hit directly into the back of my car!! I don't understand how people don't know the limit of their own cars sometimes. He is way too close to me and think that his car can stop just as quick as mine! I called the police right after, and thankfully, the police gave him a ticket for following too close.
    Although insurrance will cover the cost of my fix, it still hurts, as all of you can imagine, when you see your beautiful porsche being hit directly from behind!!
    Thank god, my car still drives fine, but i just found out that i wouldn't be able to fix my car for 2 more weeks, since the collision center is fully booked. Sigh!

The Good news is, i just ordered a brand new Tubi Exhaust, and H and R springs.

I don't want to be difficult, but, what does the "high performance braking on your 997" have to do with you avoiding an accident? You were just paying attention to traffic ahead of you and everyone should. Mr Civic, on the other hand, was not and therefore rear ended you. I believe the person was to busy admiring your car and didn't notice you had to brake hard thereby rear ending you?

You should be ticketed for having a beautiful car like the 997 out in the public eye causing such a commotion on our bland streets.

Quote:
    pfslai said:
    Sorry to hear about your experience. When I traded in my Boxster they did ask whether the car was in an accident. They even tracked the vin number and found out the car had been in an accident even though it was just a fender bender requiring me to get a new license plate and frame.

Yes this is the worst part. Every time I trade a car I get asked the same question.

Quote:
    vtach88 said:
    Not everyone is as educated about cars as we are. Whenever I'm following a car, or being followed by a car, I make a rough calculation about breaking ability of each car.

On the freeway, I only follow a car (sometimes too closely!) which has worse brakes than mine (this applies to most cars out there), and never let a car that has worse brakes than mine follow me (at least not too close). If I'm being tailgated, I pull over or simply decelerate without braking - so that the other car passes me or backs off.

Just some defensive driving techniques...

Here in the UK there was a safe driving slogan which said "only a fool brakes the two second rule". Quite useful to keep that in your mind when driving, (takes two seconds to say it) surprising, even with care, how often you can come inside the "two second" safety margin.

What gives with this behavior? Here in California, not a day goes by when tooling down the freeway in my 997, usually between 70 and 80, I look in the rearview mirror and all I see are the tires and bumper of the bozo SUV on my tail. Hardly happens with my other cars. And like you, I know if I have to stop suddenly, it's all over, except in this case I won't be fit for viewing!!

That aside, my collision story- I'm at the dealer because a wheel crest fell off. The dealer also services Acura. I pull in behind an MDX and go into the service area. As I'm being written up I see the guy get into the SUV and start to back up. I say "holy..!" but before I get the sh out, my car moves. When I rush out to chat with the guy, he takes a cell phone call for 10 minutes. AAaarggh!!MDX bumper vs. 997 plastic nose- I lose. Out for 2 weeks.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781359 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442695 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263406 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261762 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85883 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5943 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881512 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819209 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM