Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I SAAAAWWW THE ORDER GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    A)I'm not so happy that the engine is 3.6...
    B)i'm happy for the differential lock and the lowered suspension options
    C)I hate that there isn't the CGT seats options
    D)I'm happy that the price is "low"
    E)the power isn't a surprise..

but now my question is...
    Is possible that after 6 months/an year there will be more options like CGT seats,PDK,20" rims etc..and who buy first cars will be joked?

mmmh...

Ciau

I'm not sure why you're not happy with the 3.6 l engine since I know a few guys here on the forum who are "moving" around 600 HP with that 3.6 l engine.
    And I doubt that you'll have complaints about the available torque, hail to the VTG technology.
    "CGT" seats should be introduced with the GT3 and they should be widely available for all 911 models sooner or later.

You're asking if the first buyers always are the "dumb" ones? In a matter of speaking: definetely YES. There will be lots of new options over the next two to three years. Options early buyers may miss. But on the other hand: late buyers miss all the fun from the start. It is a give and take situation.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    A)I'm not so happy that the engine is 3.6...
    B)i'm happy for the differential lock and the lowered suspension options
    C)I hate that there isn't the CGT seats options
    D)I'm happy that the price is "low"
    E)the power isn't a surprise..

but now my question is...
    Is possible that after 6 months/an year there will be more options like CGT seats,PDK,20" rims etc..and who buy first cars will be joked?

mmmh...

Ciau

I'm not sure why you're not happy with the 3.6 l engine since I know a few guys here on the forum who are "moving" around 600 HP with that 3.6 l engine.
    And I doubt that you'll have complaints about the available torque, hail to the VTG technology.
    "CGT" seats should be introduced with the GT3 and they should be widely available for all 911 models sooner or later.

You're asking if the first buyers always are the "dumb" ones? In a matter of speaking: definetely YES. There will be lots of new options over the next two to three years. Options early buyers may miss. But on the other hand: late buyers miss all the fun from the start. It is a give and take situation.

mmmh..

regarding the engine that is 3.6 is only a "mind" factor..becouse there is the 3.8 of the 997 S..and usually bigger is better..

and for the "less" options..well..i have no much money,so the less is the options the best is for my bank account..

now..where must i sign?

Quote:
    RC said:

Right. Then again, wait a few years longer still and buy the 998(TT). I guess there is no 'right' time to buy a 997TT (or any other car) but this is probably the wrong time to buy a new 996TT

Quote:
    neunelf said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Right. Then again, wait a few years longer still and buy the 998(TT). I guess there is no 'right' time to buy a 997TT (or any other car) but this is probably the wrong time to buy a new 996TT

Some say, the best year for a new car is the second MY. Still young enough, but no gremlins.

I tend to agree, of course you must be strong enough not to be one of the first.

there is no general best MY to buy a car. it all depends on how long you wanna drive it.

normally it goes MY1,2,3, FACELIFT, MY4,5,6

MY1: bugs, not all options available etc, but it is THE NEW CAR!
    MY2: better than MY1, but still some bugs and there are more and more cars on the street
    MY3: ok, but facelift will be available soon
    FACELIFT
    MY4: great time to buy a car, but now the model is already 4years old...
    MY5: the quality is perfect, but the successor is waiting.
    MY6: great time to get high %, but now the car is 6years old...

it is like buying a computer...

RC, the 480 hp on the 997 turbo is peak HP ??

what about the overboost option/feature that was talk about

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    I tend to agree, of course you must be strong enough not to be one of the first.

OK, I admit it... I have been weak and fell into temptation I quit smoking 10 years ago, cold turkey on the first try, but this is much much harder!!

But so far, no gremlins, no problems at all, everything is working perfect in my case. Maybe since the 997 is based on the 996, this gives it an advantage since many things were ironed out already in the 996. I recall the first MY 996 had many more problems and gremlins.

I am surprised and bit dissapointed its a 3.6 was hoping on a 3.8 as it could have provided more torque...but guess its a more tried and tested engine.
    What torque can we expect? Is it possible to get more torque than hp?

Quote:
    guy2 said:
    there is no general best MY to buy a car. it all depends on how long you wanna drive it.

MY2: better than MY1, but still some bugs and there are more and more cars on the street
    FACELIFT

Even worse, for cars like prev gen 911 Turbo, M5 ,Audi RS6, AMGs,etc., the BEST version always seemed to come out well past half way or near end of that generational run , when the next one was all but done and known to anyone who ever read a car board.
    I give props to MBZ this time around for showing the new AMG S65 at the beginning of the new model run. Let's hope others follow suit.

Torque should be around 680-700 Nm from 1800 Rpm

it's near to my other car torque. 750 Nm from 2000 rpm.

Quote:
    MKW said:

Even worse, for cars like prev gen 911 Turbo, M5 ,Audi RS6, AMGs,etc., the BEST version always seemed to come out well past half way or near end of that generational run , when the next one was all but done and known to anyone who ever read a car board.
    I give props to MBZ this time around for showing the new AMG S65 at the beginning of the new model run. Let's hope others follow suit.

yes and no, it is all about marketing to keep people interested.
    yes, it is good work from merc to launch their s65 very early, BUT it is no new engine, no new tranmission... basicly no power improvement, still an old transmission. but thats ok, the car simply has soooooooo much power.

wow, 700nm at 2000rpm (let's take the worst number ;-) ) is amazing. i would not have thought about such a high number.
    but what i really hope is that the engine will rev at least up to 7000rpm.

great dimitry. thanks! what i expected -- no DSG, but optional tiptronic.

i'd suggest a new title for you... "rennteam secret agent"

I hope the exhaust and engine sounds bad ass!!! and will be nice to rev up to 7500 RPM.

Quote:
    guy2 said:

FACELIFT

Totally agree....and, analogous to PC's/cell phs/iPods, etc, time frames keep compressing btwn EU and US launch, coupe vs cab, model refreshes/power upgrades, etc....it's a competitive world out there for high-end car mfrs

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    guy2 said:

FACELIFT

Agreed...seems to make more sense to release a 65/997TTS, etc early in model cycle when the most price-insensitive custs are often willing to pay premiums over MSRP to get limited early allocs.....but perhaps MB/P and dealers plan model/options launches to "force" higher car turnover (e.g., from 550 to 600 to 65, etc) from these more affluent, early adopter, ADD custs....

After all, cars today are incredibly cheap vs 10-15 yrs ago on either an absolute/per unit of useable performance/safety basis.....I recall as a lad seeing the new ?'92 S-Class launch for $92Kish during the early '90s recession....today's S-Class stickers for only about $90K(should sticker for $140K even w/3% annual inflation) and interest rates and lease terms are far more favorable today than in early '90s.....

Quote:
    guy2 said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:

yes, it is good work from merc to launch their s65 very early, BUT it is no new engine, no new tranmission... basicly no power improvement, still an old transmission. but thats ok, the car simply has soooooooo much power.

Real question w/new S65 is whether AMG upgraded the suspension/traction ctrl/steering software to better manage torque...and how much of an advance this new brake tech represents..and I suspect safety systems and comfort toys will be another leap fwd for Merc w/some 6 yrs since last S-Class to advance hardware/software....

Quote:
    guy2 said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:

Of course - it clears out soon soon to be obsolete parts bins .

OK, don't mean to pi$$ on any fires here, but can I be so bold to suggest that the new 997 Turbo will be a disapointment??

Take a look at what we know so far.

Under 500 bhp - a benchmark widely regarded as a minimum for 'supercars'

A distinct lack of standard equipment - the 996 Turbo came loaded from the outset (in the UK at least) - full electric leather seats, bose, litronics etc, etc

Questionable styling - particularly from the rear with unimaginative front differentiation with the C2/4S etc.

Lack of PDK from the outset - Come on Porsche, they were talking about this when the 987 was launched. Get your backsides in gear and get the system out on the market. Tiptronic has been left behind by every major manufacturer from Volkswagen to Ferrari.

Complete lack fo internal differentiation from 'lesser' 911's. The 'Turbo badge on the rev counter doesn't really cut it.

Poor evolution of styling from 996 Turbo. I actually prefer the look of the 996 TT (subjective I know, but...)

Also, comparing the 996 TT to its non turbo cousins, the exhaust note on the Turbo was always dissapointing as no sports exahust was available. I can't see Porsche making any changes here.

I may be cynical, but I believe Porsche are riding the wave of previous Turbo glory.

I CAN@T see this car being a quantum leap from before.

I think it needs to be, but I fear it won't. For Porsche's sake, I hope I am wrong.

Cheers,

JZ

Quote:
    JZ said:
    I think it needs to be, but I fear it won't. For Porsche's sake, I hope I am wrong.

Cheers,

JZ

You ARE wrong. Again, I don't know what you guys expect. The 997 Turbo will be fully loaded like the 996 Turbo, full leather, Bi-Xenons, BOSE, etc. So I really don't get your point. Furthermore, you get one of the fastest accelerating cars in the world, the 0-62 mph performance is at Carrera GT level, maybe even a tick faster (most Carrera GT achieved 3.8-3.9 seconds from 0-62 mph in various magazine reviews, the new 997 Turbo is rumored at 3.7 sec.).
    Also you get a car which will be faster than the F430, faster than the M6, faster than all those Aston Martins and faster than most competitors out there. Furthermore, you get an impressive track time from this car. And not to stop, did I mention the most powerful and at the same time most environmental friendly engine in it's class?

I would have loved to see 600 HP from the start, leaving the competition way behind. But what comes after? 650? 700 HP? There still has to be "room" for the Powerkit, for the GT2 and the Turbo S. Not to forget about another supersportscar, maybe a new GT1.

Regarding the looks, I think the 997 Turbo looks better than I expected. I expected a clean line and a clean evolution from the 996 Turbo. What we got instead is a pretty aggressive looking beast, like it or not. I would have changed the frontlight interior a little bit, I would have given the rear LED lights and I would have made the rear pipes of the exhaust system rather round and thick than like they are now. But Porsche always had the talent to reach "perfection" with a facelift...not that I would call that a planned marketing strategy.

Regarding the interior of the Turbo: I would have loved to see some sort of TFT screen in the middle like on the Cayenne Turbo. But otherwise, I don't see what Porsche could have done different. The speedo shows more speed, you get the Turbo lettering too...the 996 Turbo was even the same in the interior compared to the normally aspirated 996 models.

Whilst all you say MAY be ture RC (we still don't know for sure), I fear that outright pace is not just enough. Porsche have always distanced themselves from outright power competitions, as Merc etc have been monstering that for years with the likes of the AMG Kompressors.

My point is that the 997 will be a dissapointment because it is not special enough. 0-60times etc do not make a great car. It is the whole package, and I believe Porsche haven't made the Turbo SPECIAL enough for its Market segment. They did it with the Cayman, and I believe (perhaps cynically) that this is nothing more than a clever marketing excercise. This car has been placed in a position to cash in on the consumers desire for powerkits and upgrades in a couple of years time. Fair enough for the basic 997, but not, in my opinion for the Turbo. It should be the best from the outset.

I'm sorry, but the looks are dissapointing, perhaps even fussy, and the turbo isn't 'loaded' as the start of this thread shows that many items are not standard. Porsche have cashed i on PCCB for too long now, so I believe bigger PCCB discs should be standard. I believe PDK should be on the market. I believe -20mm/LSD should be a (free) option from the start. I believe the car should have the PCM SPort Chrono kit as standard. These are all things you expect for a car coasting nearly Pounds100K.

Granted the pace and gip will be staggering, but is that enough?? So what if it out drags an F430, it doesn't have the prescence or sheer appeal of the Ferrari, nor the brutal dynamiscism of the Gallardo.

Porsche are riding the wave of previous Turbo success withthis car and, in my opinion playing a safe card and maximising profits on the back of previous success (and risk).

Cheers,

JZ

I am dissapointed, I can add about 120hp to my 997 c4s with the folks at evoms. and end up with a meaner looking 475hp car for a lot less money than that turbo.

Quote:
    jrlcarrera1 said:
    I am dissapointed, I can add about 120hp to my 997 c4s with the folks at evoms. and end up with a meaner looking 475hp car for a lot less money than that turbo.

how is the C4S meaner? it doesnt have a tail and is only as wide with no slits for more air or an aggressive front air damn, and if u want to compare tuner to stock, thats just ridiculous....the turbo will surely be a super performance car, with incredible braking, acceleration and handling. I really dont see why so many are condemning it before there are even real pics, lets alone tested performance data....How about a little faith in the boys over in stuttgart?:) im sure they have something nice for us!

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    Quote:
    jrlcarrera1 said:

how is the C4S meaner? it doesnt have a tail and is only as wide with no slits for more air or an aggressive front air damn, and if u want to compare tuner to stock, thats just ridiculous....the turbo will surely be a super performance car, with incredible braking, acceleration and handling. I really dont see why so many are condemning it before there are even real pics, lets alone tested performance data....How about a little faith in the boys over in stuttgart?:) im sure they have something nice for us!

I agree... lets wait and see what stuttgart has in store for us before we jump to conclusions....

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    Quote:
    jrlcarrera1 said:

I agree... lets wait and see what stuttgart has in store for us before we jump to conclusions....

Also agree 100%. A supercharged 997 pseudo-dry sumped engine can't be compared to a VTG-charged dry-sumped engine, the same 3.6L engine used on the 993TT and 996TT, and I STILL think there are some pleasant surprises Porsche has ready for us in the next several weeks.

Quote:
    guy2 said:

FACELIFT

brilliant!!

what's the opinion that the 997TT has 20HP lower then the M5 sedan, not apples to apples but i'd like to see the high end carrea p-car top out above BMW M-sedan

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    guy2 said:

FACELIFT

brilliant!!

SCARILY brilliant!!

statistical validation for NEVER purchasing~~~

someone to do a comparo with F on this modeling...

thx, did not know that you guys love my theories... i have more of them ;-)

"... a comparo with F..." ? what you mean?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781802 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442805 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261875 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85965 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5990 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881640 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819560 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM