Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Teen age girl and new 997S'

No, its not that type of post!
    I got taken down a notch today. I guess I was self congratulating myself with my pending 997S delivery too much. All that hardwork in school, in the workplace, skillful investing and the like paid off...all that effort will allow me to purchase a car most will never have the previlage of driving. My daughter came home from school and told me her 16 yearold classmate got a 2006 997S cab for Christmas, which she drives everyday ! I cannot imagine giving someone who has had their license less than a year a $100,000 car with 355 HP! Putting the whole spoiled child argument aside, seems irresponsible to let an experienced driver on the road with that capability. That has to be one popular young lady.

Re: Teen age girl and new 997S'

The parking lot of the high school my 2 kids went to was full of upscale cars.. Although we can afford to buy any car we want for the kids, we refused to get them anything more than a safe, inexpensive one. The mainr eason for this is "what do they have to work for?" Most of the excitement in life is coming from nothing or very little and slowly rewarding yourself as you continue on the journey. If you start at the top....where is your motivation and reward?

Exactly right ,, before my boy gets his hands on any of my money his got to do at least 10 yrs of hard work . They got to realise what its like to work and they have to learn how to look after themselves , its not just take they got to give as well and learn respect..

throt..

Instant gratification is a totally empty feeling, even if it concerns a new Porsche.

I'm still a student, and am working very hard and saving a lot to one day in the not so distant future buy myself a Porsche.

I don't just want to be buying a car that I have dreamed about for a long time, but also be buying something to symbolize how work and patience can pay off.

You shouldn't feel taken down at all. Although I don't know either of you personally, I will be so bold as to say that the difference between you and that teenage girl (who had the car bought for her), is that you probably deserve to be driving a 997S.

The parents need an intervention. I don't care whose teenage kid it is, especially if they're a boy, they can't be trusted with a powerful-engined car.

Well i'm 19 and i got a Cayenne turbo for christmas!!!

As for the 16 yo with a new 997, even as a teenager myself I think that given a 16 yo or anyone who's new to driving is the stupidest thing you could do to a new driver. I've driven everyday to school (120km round trip) for the past 2 years and i consider myself to be one of the better drivers on the road, I've trained myself to observe much much more than the typical driver and i know the limits of my car and stay within them, well 99% of the time. I'm not trying to brag about my driving but what i wanted to say is that I know i would not be ready to own and drive a 997, although it would be amazing i know that i am still to immature to be responcible with this car. I myself will work my way up, next summer i would like to buy a late 70s 911, then maybe in 2-5 years work up to a used 997, then 10-15 years maybe i'll be able to get a new one. But as for a 16 yo with a 997- there's NO reason for it.

We also can afford to buy the kids nice cars. But I absolutely will not. The kids should not expect it and don't deserve it. Let then dream like we all did about getting that first sports car after they finish college and can afford to. Mine was an MGB. My Son is 18 and has a 2001 Passat. Nice safe car. My daughter is 16 and really not that interested in driving. They go to public school with kids that whose parents have diverse incomes. They are learning about the real world. Buying a kid anything north of $20K is in my book irresponsible.

Wise words from all - whenever I see photo's of smashed cars, particularly, wreckedexotics.com, I always wonder who is smashing these cars, sad to say sometimes - not every time - it can be young people who are not fully aware of powerful cars capabilities & limits. Parents ought to realise a car is like a weapon - in the wrong hands it can do fatal damage!

A friend who works in the car industry once happened to be in his car yard when a completely destroyed new 993 was brought to the yard - the 18 year old driving and at least one of the other passengers (4 people were in the car)died. He told me he would never forget that scene - their belongings still in the car etc....

More to my rant. One Richard G. was a friend of mine in HS, very polite and thoughtful too. He was a gifted kid. He went on to get two 800s on his SATs. We'd go driving in his dad's T-bird. He proceeded to drive the pi** out of that car and I was having a ball with him getting away with terrible fate-tempting stunts with that car. I, also being a talented/good kid, could have said something "sensible" to stop the insanity: but I enjoyed every minute of it much too enthusiastically to ever suggest that we moderate the throttle, steering and braking inputs. BAD! (in a scary way). I'll react with a nervous chuckle and have a flashback when parents today talk about how much they trust their new-driver kids.

I guess I know what I would have done at that age...the first day I got my license, I took out my Dad's buick and tested to see what it would do with the throttle mashed to the floor. I'm still here to talk about it, probably due to the poor power to weight ratio. I don't know if I would have survived the gift of a new Porsche. I know a repair guy that did a minor body repair on an older 911 turbo, driving many years longer than most teenage girls and he even almost swapped ends in that Porsche when doing a test drive. Maybe teenage girls have more sense than teenage boys and she will drive safe enough to get through high school and enter college, when her dad gives her a Ferrari.

Clearly those parents are 'buying' that girl's affections. I recall years ago a friend told me of a neighbor of his who bought his son a Ferrari for graduation,--from HIGH SCHOOL no less! (Hillsborough, CA) Spare the rod, spoil the child,--Buy the Porsche, spoil the child... I think they go hand in hand. I can't think of ANY minor who will ever be fully responsible in such a machine.

I bought my first Porsche, a lowly 914 1.7 when I was 19. I had saved and saved to get that car. I think a big part of the fun is the anticipation,--not someone giving you a car like this. I'm waiting again,--with a Euro delivery for my S Cab.

Dan

Totally agree with all the above posts!

I definitely don't begrudge the young lady- good for her!
    I hope she's much wiser/ mature than most teenagers, and she'll receive some extra driving instruction. At least the car is very safe when driven within the drivers limits. And, of course, it's a Porsche baby!

I'm glad I've had to work my tail off for everything I've ever had ( well at least 99% of the time, I'm glad ). No doubt I appreciate what I have much, much more. I'm certain it'll make the delivery of my "baby" later this year that much more special!

You want to see parents totally being irresponsible with the cars they buy their kids, just go to La Jolla High School, Rancho Santa Fe High school, Beverly Hills High, no to mention all the private schools and you'll get the idea.

No need to feel bad. It feels very different driving daddy's car compared to driving your own car (with hard earned money). What's weird is this... I asked my sister, who's 27 about what would she feel like if she were given a 997s as a gift... she actually said I preferred a MINI COOPER. It is rare to me that someone at the age of 16, especially a girl would want a PORSCHE. A Porsche to me is a guy thing but of course I could be wrong. Any idea? Actually, her friend was given a gift of a SL convertible and she traded it back in to MB and took out a MINI COOOPER instead. She said it wasn't for her... now I wonder why someone 16 year old would wanna drive around in a 997s... or am I wrong? For sure I wanted to drive one when I was 16 but my sister begs to differ.

I might look up this young 16 year old and take her two mini's and do a reasonable swop - hey I might even throw in two beetles!

I don't know how motor insurance work in the US, but here in the UK, i just cannot imagine how HUGE the premium is going to be for a 16 year old Porsche driver!
    When I was 24, I paid 3800 pounds in insurance to drive a bmw convertible but when i turned 25, the premium dropped to about 1200 pounds. There was no way that an insurer here would allow me to drive a 911 then (i don't think....)
    I guess if you're rich enough to spoil the child with a porsche when they're 16, you can afford the car insurance as well?
    What kinda present is that girl going to expect for her future birthdays!!?

I would not think any insurer would touch her would they , in the UK I would say forget it .

Maybe its just a college wind up and now its got here..

throt..

Reminds me of a story in the US maybe 15 years back. Parents bought their 16 yr old son a 911 turbo, son died couple of weeks later in an accident overestimating his driving capabilities while underestimating the mighty turbo's power. End of the story: parents successfully sued Porsche because of lack of proper warning in the manual (maybe: "this car can turn into a weapon in the hands of unexperienced drivers"). I am convinced that this story may have triggered the ridiculous long break-in period in today's manuals for the US-market (to allow the first-time and maybe young P-car owner to get accustomed to the car's power - over here the Zuffenhausen-guys will tell you a break-in period of 1,000 km is good enough).

Just plain stupid and irresponsible.... Maybe it' s just to show off in front of the other parents..or to buy their daughter's love.... 355 PS for a 16 year old is complete nonsense....
    I don't agree that one has to first suffer for years before he can get a nice toy, but for sure one needs to show that he is responsible and one has to get the right things in the right time.
    What will this girl want after that car Her first husband will have to get her at least a CGT to make her happy.... unless she crashed before and is now too scared to drive anything else then a Cayenne Turbo or an ML &3 AMG

I totally agree to all your point of views! But I am glad to say that, I am a 19 yo and I am already into my second porsche, Cayenne S and 997. But I am also glad to say that its not parents that brought me the car, although they all can afford, is that I brought the two cars by myself, with the money that I made from my own company and without any help from my parents at all!

I guess my situation is a little different from being called as a spoiled child, but i totally agree to why would a parent brought their child their dream when they don't even understand the importance of money.

Quote:
    flap said:
    No, its not that type of post!
    I got taken down a notch today. I guess I was self congratulating myself with my pending 997S delivery too much. All that hardwork in school, in the workplace, skillful investing and the like paid off...all that effort will allow me to purchase a car most will never have the previlage of driving. My daughter came home from school and told me her 16 yearold classmate got a 2006 997S cab for Christmas, which she drives everyday ! I cannot imagine giving someone who has had their license less than a year a $100,000 car with 355 HP! Putting the whole spoiled child argument aside, seems irresponsible to let an experienced driver on the road with that capability. That has to be one popular young lady.

I agree 100% but to those who have millions why not? I would never do it no matter how much money I have.

Obviously, a 19 year old who has the smarts to start his/her own business and buy his/her own car is the exception...not the same as the average teenager, and having the cognitive ability to do that at your age probably means you have enough reasoning (maturity) to handle the inherent dangers that come with a powerful car. The vast majority of inexperienced, young drivers do not. On the other side of the issue, if you earned the money, you deserve to buy whatever you want.

Quote:
    JL13 said:
    I totally agree to all your point of views! But I am glad to say that, I am a 19 yo and I am already into my second porsche, Cayenne S and 997. But I am also glad to say that its not parents that brought me the car, although they all can afford, is that I brought the two cars by myself, with the money that I made from my own company and without any help from my parents at all!

I guess my situation is a little different from being called as a spoiled child, but i totally agree to why would a parent brought their child their dream when they don't even understand the importance of money.

Own successful company at 19 , your doing very well bud . Here in London a 997S and a Cayenne S would demonstrate a fruitful business and the due would'nt be 19 either 99.9% of the time..

Very sweet..

throt..

That's awesome JL13!

Quote:
    Mechanic said:
    The parking lot of the high school my 2 kids went to was full of upscale cars.. Although we can afford to buy any car we want for the kids, we refused to get them anything more than a safe, inexpensive one. The mainr eason for this is "what do they have to work for?" Most of the excitement in life is coming from nothing or very little and slowly rewarding yourself as you continue on the journey. If you start at the top....where is your motivation and reward?

I dunno, I'm a young guy and got my first bmw @ 17.... I have never caused an accident and hopefully never will- I'm 23 now. If the girl got a porsche- great, however, don't wish the worst for her... hopefully she will learn how to use the car and appreciate it.

If I had a 16yo kid, only cars I'd let him/her have/drive would be a new 997S Coupe/S-Class.....my logic being that, in hands of a responsible driver, those are two of world's safest cars (when considering both active and passive safety). And if I haven't imbued responsibility in a kid by age 16, I prob have failed as a parent anyway.....

An irresponsible driver will find a way to kill/injure himself in any 150hp car you give him anyway....and any SUV (esp poor emgcy handling/rollover risk/roof strength issues)/econobox/older car (primitive air bags, stab ctrls, etc) is unlikely to be as safe as 997S/S-Class in both avoiding an accid and protecting your kid if the unavoidable happens (let's also consider that responsible teenage drivers can be hit by an inattentive middle-aged/elderly driver)....

Re: the motivation argument, I'd argue it's case-specific...sure, trust fund kids tend to have motivation issues, but Bill Gates and many guys in financial business were originally trust fund kids themselves......know lots of guys in the tech and financial businesses in their 30s who are worth >$100MM from their own career earnings.....most have been workaholics all their life, even after they've made their money....they simply enjoy their work, and they also enjoy their toys responsibly.....would argue those who display maturity and high achievement in their education and career tend to be better balanced in their risk/reward decision-making re: driving as well.....

I didn't see anyone wish the worst for the young girl. No one faults any of the lucky young receipiants. If my parents would have given me a Porsche, I wouldn't have told them I would rather earn it. Whether the teenage girl being given a new 997S bothers anyone, or seems perfectly normal or acceptable probably depends on which economic strata you belong or how you came about your financial good fortunate. I believe most people have to earn them. You can certainly tell by some of the threads on here which are which. When I pick up my car some time next month (if I believe my dealer) it will be one of the top ten happiest days of my life, maybe top 5. If I had been given one at 16, had my way paid through school etc., it would be less of an event.

I got a new 914 in the 10th grade and 30 years and 10 Porsches later I still get a thrill when I get a new one

I'm a 20yr old student, and while my parents could buy me a nice car, they don't, and I really start to appreciate it.
    I've worked for the car I drive now, an BMW E30 318iS, and that makes me really take care of the car, no matter how old it might be, I've worked for it so I'm not going to trash it.
    And I have loads of fun with it, so why would I need a 997 now??
    I must have one later, but for now, it's an excellent motivation to study and work hard, so one day, I WILL have one...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780993 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442584 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263355 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261678 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85817 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5915 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881437 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818933 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM