Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I apologise for asking this in a 997 forum, but....

I am now in a position to purchase my first new Porsche. I have never owned one before so I'm a bit nervous about committing to a dream I've had since I was a young lad. I have driven a number of Porsche's over the years and have a couple of test drives booked for Saturday. First in a 997 (not the S) and then in a Cayman S.

I am in the fortunate position to order a standard 997 Carrera with hardly any extras as things stand at the moment, but I can obviously afford a Cayman S with quite a few extras.

As a first Porsche, which would you go for? (all shout 997 now). I know your all going to say, what a stupid question in a 997 forum, but I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Re: I apologise for asking this in a 997 forum, but....

The only thing is that a Porsche comes with barely any goodies hence alot of extras are required around 10k is a decent start. So your going to have to live with the choice of having a bland 997 or decent CaymanS.

I would go for the 997 take a standard color:white ask for the beige-brown artificial leather, add crests on the head rests and the pcm would be the only expensive option.

I believe the PCM is standard on the base 997

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:

even better.....

The question is, Do I need the back seats at all ? eventhough they are barely " seats ".
    If not it depends if you like gadgets, if you do , get the cayman because then you can add a lot of goodies.
    If you are not into gadgets then get the 997 ( which is a better car to have ) and add only what will make the car more enjoyable to drive , do not get stuff that is just for show.
    I will not give you my opinion on what you should get as options on a 997, it depends on your needs.
    997S 2006
    Audi Allroad 2005
    Beetle Turbo 2001

OK, in the UK the full leather is standard in the 911, so you can't get the artificial leather as it's just not an option. Also, white will crucify you at resale - wrongly or rightly - unlike the states - white cars are deeply unpopular here.

In general, the base 997 won't hold its value as well as the "S", but will provide 95% of the thrills. The big question is, can you cope with the standard spec? The Cayman, in my book, is too slow and, more importantly, too bland. Too neutral.

Are you buying outright with your own cash, or are you financing?

If you're buying outright, I can understand the hard-and-fast budget, but if you're financing, then be a little flexible on the payments - even the bog standard Cayman is a hugely expensive car in absolute terms, so it must be a decision of the heart, not the head.

I'm guessing the Cayman will be a little like the Boxster. And we all know what the word "Boxster" stands for, at least in the public perception: "Can't afford a 911".

Go with the 911. You know it makes sense! It's fun, fast, quirky and completely authentic. The real deal. The full monty.

You will know once you drive them. A drive in both is usually enough for those who are "on the fence." I wasn't on the fence, but I drove the Boxster and the 997 (non-S) - and I knew immediately which one I wanted. The 997S.
    Why not?

I just was at the dealer today and the new Cayman is a beautiful car. But if you can I would still by the Flagship and that is the 997. In terms of options If I had to limit myself I would by the sports exhaust, Sports Chrono and the Bose Sound system. Those are the things that make a real difference to me. How it sounds inside, out side and the throttle response. Good luck you cant go wrong no matter what you do.

Quote:
    Stephenkng said:

You are indeed correct. What does PCM actually provide? (Will get a brochure on Saturday. )

Quote:
    Pabs1 said:
    The question is, Do I need the back seats at all ? eventhough they are barely " seats ".
    If not it depends if you like gadgets, if you do , get the cayman because then you can add a lot of goodies.
    If you are not into gadgets then get the 997 ( which is a better car to have ) and add only what will make the car more enjoyable to drive , do not get stuff that is just for show.
    I will not give you my opinion on what you should get as options on a 997, it depends on your needs.

Well, my wife seems to think the back seats! could come in useful as we have a 2yr old. I have a 3.2 TT at the moment and if the little lad is in his seat in the back, no-one can sit in the passenger side as I have to fold the seat forward. Has anyone any ideas if this would be the same with the 997. Does the rear seats have ISO-Fix or am I being stupid?

I'm not really a fan of Gadgets, but Climate Control (if you can consider it a gadget) is required. Does the 997 have CC? I'm just going to build one on the Porsche Website and see if that helps me.

Is it right that the Cayman handles better?

My needs are simple. I need it for everyday use so it's got to be fairly good with fuel economy when I need it to be (not often, as I drive the 3.2 TT hard and get about 23 to 25mpg which is acceptable), got to impress my mates, of course and the lovely young frauline next door (don't tell the wife ) and all in all just want to own one. I enjoy very much A and B roads, and would rather take these above any Motorway carpark.

Quote:
    JamesC said:
    OK, in the UK the full leather is standard in the 911, so you can't get the artificial leather as it's just not an option. Also, white will crucify you at resale - wrongly or rightly - unlike the states - white cars are deeply unpopular here.

In general, the base 997 won't hold its value as well as the "S", but will provide 95% of the thrills. The big question is, can you cope with the standard spec? The Cayman, in my book, is too slow and, more importantly, too bland. Too neutral.

Are you buying outright with your own cash, or are you financing?

If you're buying outright, I can understand the hard-and-fast budget, but if you're financing, then be a little flexible on the payments - even the bog standard Cayman is a hugely expensive car in absolute terms, so it must be a decision of the heart, not the head.

I'm guessing the Cayman will be a little like the Boxster. And we all know what the word "Boxster" stands for, at least in the public perception: "Can't afford a 911".

Go with the 911. You know it makes sense! It's fun, fast, quirky and completely authentic. The real deal. The full monty.

I agree on the White. I understand dark colours and Blacks are the ones to go for.

No, I'm not buying outright as it will be financed. One of the dealers suggested I purchased one of the cars (Cayman S) that they had available immediately but not quite the spec I wanted, then complete a factory order for a car spec'ed to my liking as I tend to change cars every 2 years or so. Of course I'm made of money but I got the general opinion that Porsche dealers near to me couldn't care less whether you buy or not! I suppose I could increase the spec, but extend the finance. Might be a good idea.

I'm considering this....what do you think?

911 Carrera Pounds57,123.00

Interior colour AT Leather interior in Black Pounds1,879.00
    Exterior colour Z4 Basalt Black Pounds543.00
    Wheels 407 19 inch SportDesign wheel Pounds1,256.00
    Exterior P74 Bi-Xenon lighting system Pounds705.00
    635 ParkAssist (parking aid rear) Pounds325.00
    P12 Automatically dimming interior and
    exterior mirrors with integrated
    rain sensor Pounds353.00
    Engine 640 Sport Chrono Package Plus Pounds507.00
    Interior P77 Sports seats Pounds257.00
    342 Heated seats Pounds269.00
    Interior Leather 435 Three-spoke sports steering wheel in
    leather Pounds142.00
    XSC Porsche crest embossed on head
    restraints Pounds126.00
    XX1 Floor mats with leather edging Pounds187.00
    Audio and communication 680 BOSE Surround Sound System Pounds768.00
    692 CDC-4 six disc CD autochanger Pounds348.00

Total Pounds64,856.00

Quote:
    vtach88 said:
    You will know once you drive them. A drive in both is usually enough for those who are "on the fence." I wasn't on the fence, but I drove the Boxster and the 997 (non-S) - and I knew immediately which one I wanted. The 997S.
    Why not?

I hear what your saying, but I'm not sure the Cayman S can be directly compared to that of the Boxster, although it's supposed to be it's hard topped brother. I need to drive drive them I guess. I am a traditionalist so the 911 is so appealing.

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    I just was at the dealer today and the new Cayman is a beautiful car. But if you can I would still by the Flagship and that is the 997. In terms of options If I had to limit myself I would by the sports exhaust, Sports Chrono and the Bose Sound system. Those are the things that make a real difference to me. How it sounds inside, out side and the throttle response. Good luck you cant go wrong no matter what you do.

I'm not far off with the spec above and appreciate your comments. This is getting exciting, my heart is palpitating just thinking about it.

my thought process...997 you will not regret buying it, even if moderately equipped, but you may regret not buying it if you get the Caymen S

I am a Cayman S owner, and I think your dilemma is easily solved. Since you've been aspiring to Porsche ownership for many years and the Cayman S is a new model, what you've been dreaming about all along has clearly been the 911. Differences in driving dynamics in daily street/highway use is unlikely to be meaningfully different for many to notice. Buy the 911 now if you can afford it, and reassess after 2 years. Good luck and enjoy having your dream come true.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    I am now in a position to purchase my first new Porsche. I have never owned one before so I'm a bit nervous about committing to a dream I've had since I was a young lad. I have driven a number of Porsche's over the years and have a couple of test drives booked for Saturday. First in a 997 (not the S) and then in a Cayman S.

I am in the fortunate position to order a standard 997 Carrera with hardly any extras as things stand at the moment, but I can obviously afford a Cayman S with quite a few extras.

As a first Porsche, which would you go for? (all shout 997 now). I know your all going to say, what a stupid question in a 997 forum, but I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer.

If money isn't an issue then go for the 997...the prestige level difference is drastic for cars with a very long history vs new models.

If heritage means nothing to you then get the Cayman S... design-wise it is the better looking car with a nearly identical interior. I was invited by my dealership to see it in person and it is a very good looking car. Though the Boxster roots handicap it.

Up until Porsche decides to stop handicapping the Cayman S, straight line performance will be better in the 997.

ResB -- you say you are "a traditionalist". That said, the answer becomes obvious -- you want the 911. Boxters and Caymens? Fine cars, clearly. Carrera? Classic.

After you have driven both cars you will know!!!!
    I had the same questions ....drove the Boxter , then drove the 911, I immediatly knew I wanted the 911.
    Some options can be retrofitted, so if your finances get better in comming month you will be able to add some on the 911. Try to get the important ones..

For the kind of money you are speccing that new base 997, you can get a 1 year old 997S with less than 5,000 on the clock -that makes more sense to me. Like most of us you've wanted a P car since you were a lad, so why go for a Cayman over a 911

I agree with crayphile - have you thought about an S? You're already getting the xenons and the wheels anyway.

Some people say the Cayman handles better and, on a track, it might. Possibly.

The thing is, though, that the 911 has the engine in the back, so it's always going to be a little more interesting to drive than the Cayman. More characterful.

The 911 has a soul.

Don't fret over choosing a lightly optioned base 997, they are great cars. I have a base 997 with Seal grey, nav and sports seats as the only options, it's a great car with the full 911 experience. I would have regretted a Cayman and always wondered what a 997 would have been like if I had gone the Cayman route.

Go for it.

For what you want to pay for a 997 I got a 997S brand new last January. The only options I had were metallic paint, sports design wheels and the -20mm and LSD.

I personally can't see the point of any other option, although at the time I wanted a PSE (which was not available). I test drove a PSE car the other day and don't regret not getting that option either as I now have a Tubi on mine and it sounds far better.

So if I was you I would get a basic Carrera S

I'd also agree with Crayphile. There are a lot of nicely spec'ed S 997 C2S models in the UK dealer network with very low miles on 05 plates that fall within your budget. Don't be blinded by buying a brand new car when you can get a barely used car that is as good as new to sit in and drive but where someone else has taken the hit on depreciation. A highly optioned Cayman will IMHO lose you more in terms of depreciation. You can kiss good buy to the value of any extras you put on it for starters.

Quote:
    JJBlade said:
    So if I was you I would get a basic Carrera S

I agree, this is my whole problem with 997 and 997S pricing. When you start to spec up a 997, you add a couple of options and you're a couple grand off the price of a 997S already. I can never see myself buying a 997, only the S version.

If you decide on the 997, don't consider white as you might have a problem selling it. I know that the UK market is not into white. The basic black might be a better choice for you.

you should ask for the floor mats to be a freebie, don't pay for them; mine were one of the few items my dealership was willing to part with at no cost. Also, if you are buying a new 911, the in car CD player in PCM2 will be able to play mp3, so you'll get something like 100 to 200 songs per CD... therefore I'd not bother with the 6 disc changer as well.

For the price you're looking at paying, I'd be inclind to go for a low spec C2S as your build is not a low spec base 997.

Remember, you can probably swing a sizeable discount on a standard 997 order. But you probably won't get a budge below MSRP on a Cayman S until the initial "heat" dies down.

You'll know when you drive them both. Luckily, you can't go wrong either way.

I know that last week when I passed a Cayman heading the opposite direction in my 997S, I didn't have the slightest "ping" of envy whatsoever..... I'm going to bet that the guy in the Cayman couldn't say the same when he saw me.... Whenever you've got the flagship barely within reach, you've gotta grab that brass ring my man.

Why don't you pick up a 987S and then in a few years when your situation is better (or at the end of the financing agreement), step up to a Carrera S or a Carrera S Cab?

I think white is very underrated color. Its one of the few colors that accentuate the 911s curvaceous booty

I like white on 997's, it makes for a real classy and clean statement. But it's the last color on the pallet that accentuates curves. White, by its nature, masks/flares subtle body lines and curves. That's why you never see a white car on a magazine cover, it's almost impossible to keep it from looking like a big white cloud or blob. In that photo above my post, they had to dial-out so much brightness and gamma to show up any contrast in the white, that the wheels almost disappeared.

It's not worth blowing money you may not have on one of these cars.

It's best to have a cash "surplus" and be able to throw some of it toward your own indulgent form of getting around.

They're not THAT great; having a plump IRA is more sexy when you mentally compare the two. Of course seeing the car at the dealer will have a huge intoxicating effect to convince you otherwise. Just my us$.02

Quote:
    LB said:
    I think white is very underrated color. Its one of the few colors that accentuate the 911s curvaceous booty

There's only one color which does that. It's silver (or light grey). All other colors distract from that.

If you need Proof: look at any finished clay model of a car body in development, they're always covered with a silver film.

Cayman S is very nice - but the 997S is the real thing! A simply specced 997S will cost you around Pounds68/69000 and is a better deal than the 997.
    Would suggest that Sports Chrono and PSE are essentials and all other options are peronal preferences.
    In the UK white is an absolute no no - I still remember the trouble I had selling a white 968CS 10 years ago!

I think the mid-engined handling of the Cayman S is much more accessible for a first-time Porsche owner. I just drove one and was quite impressed (mostly with the handling and crisp steering). I can understand why some people would choose the Cayman over the 997, even if the price were the same. It gives a different experience - one that some will prefer over the 997. Try to have extended drives in each on winding roads (or on whatever roads you plan to enjoy your Porsche). I would skip the PASM and most of the other expensive options if you intend to sell it in a few years (resale value on options is terrible). The non-PASM suspension felt good to me...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752981 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430650 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255445 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868260 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801802 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM