Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Facelift Revealed

Suddenly the SL 500 is contender in this pricerange again:

Quote:
    New V6 and V8 engines, as well as an uprated V12 powerplant, deliver assured driving pleasure. Second-generation Active Body Control and the more direct steering make for noticeably sportier handling without compromising the high level of comfort which is one of the hallmarks of the SL. The redesigned front section, new rear light units and new light-alloy wheels reflect the more dynamic character of the revised SL even when it is stationary. New interior appointments as well as painstaking attention to the details of the new materials and colour schemes give the interior an even more luxurious look and feel. Shift paddles on the steering wheel - which form part of the optional 7G-TRONIC Sport package - underline the dynamic character of the enhanced SL-Class.

With an output of 285 kW/388 hp and 530 newtonmetres of torque, the newly developed V8 engine in the SL 500 offers everything that is expected of a powerful sports car. The eight-cylinder unit has a displacement of 5.5 litres and is one of the most powerful engines in its displacement class. The SL 500 accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 5.4 seconds (predecessor model: 6.2 seconds).

All three engine variants of the SL-Class have newly developed exhaust systems: the particularly stirring and powerful engine note has been specially tuned to enhance the driving experience while still offering exceptional comfort on even the longest trips. Mercedes-Benz equips the V6 and V8 models of the new SL-Class with the 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission as standard. 7G-TRONIC Sport, which is available as an optional extra, allows shifting to be performed up to 30 percent faster in manual "M" mode; furthermore, this package features steering-wheel shift paddles similar to those used in Formula 1.

The whole article:
    Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Facelift

And Porsche now has competition for the "laziest designers in the world" (as J Clarkson think they are), I can honestly not tell the difference from the old one. Although the SL was pretty good looking in the first place...

Re: Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Facelift Revealed

There are apparently new tailights back here:

Beautiful car, a shape that still looks stunning. Only Mercedes could make a car that looks so good with all that luxury, technology and perform so well. Seem as though they have made the interior more luxurious while making the car more sports car than GT.

The SL with old engine laps the ring in 8:38 which is only 2 seconds slower than a manual Boxter that weighs in at 1370kg compared to the SL at 1852kg! Amazing when you consider that these two cars have the same acceleration figures from 0-200kph. Not bad handling for a car that in the old weight is over 1000 pounds heavier with an auto box.

My stats from the ring are from track-challenge.com

Is it just me or I cant really spot the facelift...

whats the difference

It's a nice car to take when you go to Starbucks or the mall

I really like the SL, but this is supposed to be a facelift?
    I don't think I could ever tell the difference between this and the 'old' one.

Quote:
    LB said:

whats the difference

taillights,..

Just like the its predecessor R129 series, I doubt if this design would ever age well

Gorgeous, if it ain't broke don't fix it

Just a couple of touches to keep her fresh

I agree just like porsche and thier mid model life revisions

They need to keep this SL for a while...like 7 or 8 years or so.

Quote:
    LB said:

whats the difference

The only really noticeable things are one less fin in the front grill and the tail lights.

Phil

Thanks for these usefull infos Temm!!!

What is funny is that i told myself some time ago that the 500 was underpowered and that 400 bhp would be great..

Well, newer underbody modifications, the 55 upped to 517bhp with paddles now and standard carbon fibre trim, I think the the SL is more disireable than ever before.

Thanks to PS CA and to Wild Speed.

Still should be considered more as a botox treatment than a facelift

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    It's a nice car to take when you go to Starbucks or the mall

Agreed. The car is a bore to drive....

it will get S-class like lights soon! and something like the new c-class or CL class rear lights!

Quote:
    LB said:
    Thanks to PS CA and to Wild Speed.

Still should be considered more as a botox treatment than a facelift

I'm glad to see the new V8 and 7-speed transmission in the SL.

New '07 SL65 sounds like ultimate fwy blitzer for those rare sunny CA days....rush of 700+ lb-ft is really hard to replace, esp in context of a car w/65's safety and comfort technologies....

Great trio of commuter and wkend cars for 2H06 will be: 997TT, SL65 and 430....997TT for AWD SUV duty on rainy days and wkend mtn twisties; 65 for sunny day fwy and urban commuting; and 430 b/c it looks/sounds cool and great for poseur duty w/chicks.....

Have done several back-to-back mtn twisties comparos of '06 SL65 vs 996TTS vs 430 and must admit it's a surprisingly close subjective comparo, despite an ostensibly apples vs oranges field of competitors ....will be interesting to explore nuances of 997TT w/perhaps less turbo lag vs revised 65 w/about 10 more hp, paddle shifters and perhaps revised ABC software vs 430 w/its always-evolving F1 and e-diff software.....

VKSF,
    That is an admittedly intriguing comparison, especially when it comes to mountain driving. I might even say the SL55PP would subjectively outperform the SL65 in that type of environment due to weight and weight distribution. A 996TTS Cab comes surprisingly close in weight and I found that car to be quite fast, but a pig for real performance driving. Though I find Merc's ABC trickery impressive, surely it can't make the car close to an F430 in overall enjoyment on a mountain road?

I guess that is why it's a subjective argument. I have not driven an SL65, so I defer to you.

- J

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    LB said:

whats the difference

The only really noticeable things are one less fin in the front grill and the tail lights.

Phil

The foglights have changed as well, the old one never had that silver trim around the edges.

Quote:
    vinnie said:

The SL with old engine laps the ring in 8:38 which is only 2 seconds slower than a manual Boxter that weighs in at 1370kg compared to the SL at 1852kg! Amazing when you consider that these two cars have the same acceleration figures from 0-200kph. Not bad handling for a car that in the old weight is over 1000 pounds heavier with an auto box.

My stats from the ring are from track-challenge.com

Track-challenge refers to the 986 S model. New 987 S should do the Ring in 8:18 according to Porsche - 986 S did 8:27 according to Porsche. Agree with you on the still stunning design and performance of the SL though.

I just compared it to the Boxter not the Boxter s, I compared it to the Boxter and not the Boxter s because the accerlation figures were closer than in the Boxter s.

Oh, you're right - makes sense to compare the "old" SL to the "old" Boxster and the new SL to the new Boxster generation (of course there is no Ring-time for the new SL available yet, but in terms of 0-100 km/h it's pretty much the same as 987 S).

Quote:
    Justin said:
    VKSF,
    That is an admittedly intriguing comparison, especially when it comes to mountain driving. I might even say the SL55PP would subjectively outperform the SL65 in that type of environment due to weight and weight distribution. A 996TTS Cab comes surprisingly close in weight and I found that car to be quite fast, but a pig for real performance driving. Though I find Merc's ABC trickery impressive, surely it can't make the car close to an F430 in overall enjoyment on a mountain road?

I guess that is why it's a subjective argument. I have not driven an SL65, so I defer to you.

- J

I actually did the comparos w/a few jaded pals who own/have owned numerous 360/430/996TTS/55/65/Gallardo and know their way around twisties....we were each amazed by how close the subjective "feel" voting was, esp given SL65 weighs about 4600lb, 996TTSCoupe about 3500 and 430Coupe about 3400 ...to be clear, not saying each car felt similar; each is subjectively different; but each car has a net total of subjective pros/cons that seemed close to the other two cars....the comparo was largely prompted by a pal who already owns the 996TTS/65/430 trio and insisted that he decides which car to drive for wkend mtn runs based on his mood that day...that each car has its own special appeal (and weaknesses)....

Having had a few divergent F/P/Lambo/MB over the past several yrs, I'd argue I've only really "learned" each of my car's strengths/weaknesses after 3-4K mis of intense driving; each car, esp heavier ones, requires different driving styles to fully exploit/appreciate its capabilities; and I trade-in cars every 6-12 mos, so I can easily forget some of the nuances of a car after not driving it for a few mths...and esp in an era of software updates, each of these cars keeps evolving every few mths w/the quiet tweaking that mfrs can impart to engine/tranny/susp/tires/brakes/stab ctrl...let's not forget that the N-ring time delta among 996TTS/430/65 is only perhaps 5%, so each little software tweak can narrow/blur subjective feel diffces as well...

Quote:
    Justin said:
    VKSF,

- J

Justin, one other thought on heavy sports/GT cars and their subjective feel.....have heard from couple guys that 4250lb 612 (even pre-GTC package) is surprisingly fun vs 430 even on a track. And the 4200lbish Murci has many fans, incl RC....massive torque and clever software can create an interesting driving feel in a heavy car....perhaps more "virtual" than the more "analog" sportscars of yesteryr, but every yr cars will become a bit more "virtual", w/associated pros/cons.....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764179 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436417 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260995 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257926 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82617 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5328 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876768 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808814 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM