Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anyone else prefer the 997 S over the 997 TT?

If you could afford either one, would you choose the 997S? I love my launch car, daily driver 997S and my previous Porsches were the 996 C4S cab and the 996 Turbo. I'm #4 or 5 on my local 997 turbo list and it fits in our car budget but I'm not sure I want it. If the spy pics are accurate, it looks a little busy to me but I might get used to it. Not crazy about the wheels, fog lights and the rear lower facia has too many angles. But 480 bhp and the torque of the new technology turbo... Wow, who wouldn't want more power. This is a real hard decision for me. As much as I want the extra power, 100% of my driving is on the street- cops, bad roads, and safety considerations. I love the clean lines of the 997 S- no gills, wings, etc. What appealed to me most over the years was the "clean", simple design of the 911 and I'm afraid they're getting away from that with the new 997 TT (what do I know- I'm also not crazy about the look of the F430). My dilemma is: getting the new turbo or a new 997 S with the X51, PCCB, etc. I figure the 997S the way I want it will be around $120k (USD); if I'm guessing the new 997 TT $140 or so. With the 993 and 996 there was no question- the turbo was always so much better. The 997 is such a perfect car, the extra bhp/torque would be nice but not as big a factor as in previous models. If I could design the perfect Porsche for me it would be a 2wd/rwd, wide C4S 997 body, with the new turbo 3.6l engine and satellite radio (and I don't care what kind of antenna). The 997 S is such a near perfect car, reinforced by all of you and auto journalists around the world, that I may not need the turbo to fulfill my auto needs. Anoyone else agree?

Re: Anyone else prefer the 997 S over the 997 TT?

When I purchased my 997S I expected to be trading it in on a 997TT at some point. Now I am not so sure. My current 911 is so perfect in so many ways. The car is well balanced, fast, comfortable and usable everyday during the non-winter months. There are times I wish it were faster, but for 99.9% of my daily driving it meets my expectations.

The new turbo is going to be a beast when it comes to acceleration and top end speed. There are moments when this extra power and speed would be very nice to have. But, living in North America makes this extra power a little redundant considering the speed limits we live with.

The key for me will be the balance of the car when driving through the mountains of New England. If the handling of the turbo is much better than the existing 997S, I will probably order one. If the handling is pretty much the same, I will keep driving my existing car for a long while.

But knowing myself, the real deciding factor will be the emotional connection the first time I see the new Turbo in the flesh and the first drive. All the logic and ideals will be thrown out the window if the Turbo connects with my emotional side.

If you read your post you will find that you have answered your own question. What difference does it make what everybody thinks? My bet is that most people would want the turbo; more status and more flash.

I bought 2006 Carrera 4s,my first Porshe and immediately put down a deposit for the Turbobased on the sales man's promise expecting an awesome car. So far based on what i've deen I will not buy this new Turbo...
    I can add some Tech art rims ,spoilers aet to my c4sand some supercharger packages that are out there and end up with a more aggressive looking car.
    I agree that the 997ts should have the 4 and 4s wide body it just looks better with the wider wheels etc.

a 997 with 480 bhp will be a rocket ............ I think if you even have to think about it then its probably not for you . One thing is for sure if you have any reservations seeing the car in the flesh and a test drive will probably take care of that .

Yes. Don't need or want the extra power of the turbo and its extra maintenance costs and potential failures, and I prefer the more understated styling of the S, don't like and sort of permanent wings on any car.

Kind of a premature question as we haven't seen or driven the 997TT yet.
    If money is not an issue, then obviously get the 997TT or even a Carrera GT.
    The reality is that money is always the ONLY issue with car buying. At the time of trading the 997S to 997TT, I think that I cannot justify the price difference as the 997S is such a complete car for me. I would rather spend the money to trade up the other cars in my stable.

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    Kind of a premature question as we haven't seen or driven the 997TT yet.
    If money is not an issue, then obviously get the 997TT or even a Carrera GT.
    The reality is that money is always the ONLY issue with car buying. At the time of trading the 997S to 997TT, I think that I cannot justify the price difference as the 997S is such a complete car for me. I would rather spend the money to trade up the other cars in my stable.

Well put. BTW, you have a very nice "stable" as is...

Given the price of a well spec'd 997TT would be approaching $150k my next car may end up being two. A M5 and a Cayman S. Then again the 997TT would be quite a package...

Quote:
    EnglishManInNY said:
    Given the price of a well spec'd 997TT would be approaching $150k my next car may end up being two. A M5 and a Cayman S. Then again the 997TT would be quite a package...

I second that.

I expect nothing less than mind blowing performance from the TT, more linear power delivery than 996TT due to VTG. Once bitten it could become addictive. The only variable in my opinion will be whether the weight of 997TT will make it less fun, less tossable than our Carrera's.

But I am still in pig heaven with the C2S, still have much to learn about finessing the abilities of this car. We might add a C4S cab for the wife, but 997Turbo not necessary anytime soon...I don't think I could reconcile an extra $50K worth of enjoyment over my C2S.

I vastly prefer the C2/C4 cleaner styling over the Turbo pics published so far.

I really hope the 997TT will be mind blowing. Or it just could be a M5 and a caymanS both. Or how about a Z06, Cayman S and Mini Cooper S. Choices, choices....

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    a 997 with 480 bhp will be a rocket ............ I think if you even have to think about it then its probably not for you . One thing is for sure if you have any reservations seeing the car in the flesh and a test drive will probably take care of that .

Agree!

Personally, the 997 C4S Cab w/ X51 should satisfy my need for speed for some time.And I love the cleaner lines of the 997 more, based on the pictures I've seen of the TT. I also didn't want to wait (another 6-12 months?) for the TT Cab.

I fully agree with everything you said !
    When I bought my 997 S I was sure that I am going to trade it in for a 997 tt as soon as it becomes available.The new look of the 997 tt doesn't convince me at all, keeping in mind that it might look different in reality.Since I have one of the early 997's which can not be upgraded with x51 I will most probably be going for a 997 S4.But again, who needs all that power ? I am spending a lot of my driving time in Germany but even there I rarely push the car to the speed limit.And last not least - money is an issue.I am a Porsche fanatic, but is a 997 S really worth k Euro 100, or a 997 tt k Euro 140 + ??

I hate 4wd Porsches with a passion (heavy,understeering non communicative tanks) and so for me there is no choice. The only option for me is to get a GT3 when that comes out and I will be mighty tempted to do so.

Definitely the Turbo. Why? More HP.

In USA we own these 997/S/TT cars that are specifically engineered to go three times the speed limit of the roads they travel on. Most of us have never seen a track, a few have been there for an afternoon of DE once in a while. Even if you lived in Munich and had a totally hot girlfriend residing 100 miles down the Autobahn, it still doesn't make sense to routinely use the car the way it was designed; it's a major risk to go 180mph on a daily basis.

My point: Relatively speaking, getting a turbo with an extra 100+ hp? There's no overstatement in to owning/driving one. It's just more fun; think of all the people you'll meet at red lights; TT would make every red light an adventure.

Look at it like this.... Cameron Diaz (997S) vs Pamela Anderson (997TT).

I'm sure Pamela is much faster (!), but for me, I'd rather have the natural beauty of Cameron any day of the week.

Cost an object: 997S

Cost no object: 997TT

125 additional horses trumps styling issues every time, and besides, I'm thinking that the 997TT is looking pretty good, even though I agree that it's busier than I'd ultimately like. But the styling wouldn't be a deal-breaker, it's still pretty slick looking.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

I'm sure Pamela is much faster (!), but for me, I'd rather have the natural beauty of Cameron any day of the week.

We're not talking about sitting in a corner and pleasuring ourselves while staring at the car, so while I agree that your analogy is pretty good with regard to styling alone, I find it difficult to accept that a purchase decision would be based SOLELY on styling.

If Pamala can shag so much better in the sack, that it makes sex with Cameron seem a bit boring, you gotta take that into consideration....

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

We're not talking about sitting in a corner and pleasuring ourselves while staring at the car, so while I agree that your analogy is pretty good with regard to styling alone, I find it difficult to accept that a purchase decision would be based SOLELY on styling.

If Pamala can shag so much better in the sack, that it makes sex with Cameron seem a bit boring, you gotta take that into consideration....

All I'm saying is that the 997S is already a complete package, all the looks and more power than you will ever actually NEED for public roads.

Then there's the safety factor. I've heard the TT described as the "widow-maker" in the past. Clarkson compared the 996TT to a tame lion at a circus - it may lull you into a false sense of security, but it's still a lion, it will still bite your head off when you least expect it. So that puts me off also.

Looks wise, from the TT pics I have seen thus far (and 996TT in real life) I think all TTs end up a bit of a Frankenstein's monster. So that's fine if you spend more time driving the car than looking at it from the outside. But I bought a 997S for its abilities AND its under-stated classic looks which gives it that enormous air of class. That class IMHO disappears as soon as you have big side scoops and a whopping rear fixed spoiler.

alex, the widow-maker, is the GT2....

I don't care for the TT, I'm waiting for the GT3.

It's a very interesting question. In Germany, the TT would be the choice, without a doubt, maybe Spain and Italy, too.

In the US, with most sustained interstate (aka motorway, autobahn) speeds below 130 KPH (83 MPH), the TT's driving advantage narrows to its huge launch, point and squirt ability. I'm sure that would be a gas, and addictive, but most of the car's performance would go unused on the street.

Sure, we can drive backroads higher than 130 KPH in the US, but not for a sustained amount of time in most areas. Moreover, most backroads don't have enough sight lines to make it safe, there's always some animal that could wander out on the road, somebody exiting a blind side road not expecting a German car rocketing by at >100 feet per second, etc. Then there are the revenuers, who, in my experience, reach for the radar gun about 4 seconds after seeing a Porsche nose, regardless of what said Porsche is doing.

So it comes down to what sensations does the car give you as you drive it for the real rewards? That's down to individual taste. For some it could be a 993, others a 997, others something in the 98x platform.

There are diminishing returns, to be sure, especially in money. I couldn't really see trading a launch 997S for a newer one with a powerkit (the powerkit ought to be standard in the 997S, but that's a different subject). An upgrade like that could be $20-40K, and that would be hard for me to rationalize, unless money was just no object.

I read a post some time ago, on another board, from a guy who owns a 996TT and a 986S. He said that so long as you were under 90 MPH, the 986S was more fun to drive. It wouldn't surprise me there wouldn't be a similar parallel with the 997TT and 997S.

As for looks, I agree with another poster, and think the pictures I've seen *so far*, the 997 looks better than the 997TT. I like the 996TT looks better than the 997TT, too.

Jim

Again, this "need" aspect comes out.

If I bought all that I needed, it would be a Civic Hybrid.

Who's to say how much power you "need"? Sounds a bit fascist to me, considering alot of power to some, is a smidgen of power to others...

I mean, what may be an assault rifle to one driver, might be a water pistol to another, there is no rule or measure of how much anybody "needs" in power, as power can be used in small doses, measured doses, or full-out through all the gears. When I'm shouldering my S into my favorite LH sweeper, I'm into the gas, and baby, more power would be welcome and put to damn good use. Besides, you enjoy the benefits of more power every time your foot presses down on the gas pedal, no matter how slight or aggressive the input, as it increases responsiveness and athleticism throughout the range of throttle inputs. Power isn't a "switch-on, switch-off" deal.

Yes, at some point, a certain amount of hp/weight ratio becomes absurd to harness on the street. But up to that point, it's all adding to the fun for me, with only those hamfisted halfwitted folks who allow their right foot to overrule their brain getting into serious trouble.

I feel that my 997S is at least 200 horsepower shy of approaching being absurd on the street, and that's only because it's 2-wheel drive, and corner-exits would be dicey to modulate without substantially more rubber. What I "need" in my dream sportscar is EXCESS, not practicality. The practical people shop at the Volvo lot.

Quote:
    EnglishManInNY said:
    I really hope the 997TT will be mind blowing. Or it just could be a M5 and a caymanS both. Or how about a Z06, Cayman S and Mini Cooper S. Choices, choices....

Wow a Z06, Cayman S, and a Mini Cooper for the price of a 997 TT Glad I don't have to make that choice. The 997 TT would be nice but I like the 3 for 1 deal.

Totally disagree.
    People that get cars, electronics, etc, just for the " flash and status " they are never satisfied, you should get what you like and what makes you happy and forget what people think.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

Well said

Extended weekends with Pamela would be nice!

997S + (X51)= I'm satisfied.

If you like the turbo...go for it. Get what you like.

Its Not what I need

Its what I WANT and I WANT what I WANT. So I will trade my 997S for a TT and will keep and drive my 76 FJ40 Land cruiser with a 383 Stroker in it. Its always been about passion and lust. Has nothing to do with thinking it through and then deciding. Lust does not work that way.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688764 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408794 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255568 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65411 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857659 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773533 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM