Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anyone intered in my Cayman? ( UK )

I had to cancel my Cayman order this week due to circumstances out of my control. Should be in build right now, due to be delivered for March on an 06 plate. I can only get my deposit back once the car has a new home, the sooner the better obviously. Anyone currently looking to jump the que? I'm not asking any premium or anything like that.

Spec as follows...

Basalt Black
    Manual
    19" Carrera S Wheels
    Wheel Centre Set
    Black Leather Interior
    Sports Seats
    Sports Steering Wheel
    Park Assist
    PCM
    BOSE
    Porsche Mats
    Delivery to your door

Price comes in at just over Pounds49k, spec is pretty good, while still being sensible IMO. My local OPC has huge lead times, 14-16 months. I placed my ordered from an OPC 150 miles away(Cambridge) back in November due to the long lead times at OPCs throughout the North.

PM, if you're interested.

regards

Re: Anyone intered in my Cayman? ( UK )

Nice spec -sure you won't have too much trouble, surprised the dealer hasn't checked their waiting list, would imagine someone further down the list would have a spec very close to that.

I thought that too, I dunno if they have but will ask.

I am surprised you can get your deposits back at all..

The norm is your first deposit is refundable . The second one , which is payable on the actual definite order/build slot is not refundable and both deposits should accumulate 10% of the total price of your vehicle , but this is when if you cancel you simply loose all that money . If the dealer has giving you this option of find a buyer then his being very fair and your lucky , thats why I canceled before the second deposit stage because it clearly states all this on the back of your order agreement..

Having said all of that , good luck to yu and I hope you do get all funds back..

throt..

I've only paid the Pounds3k deposit, maybe I cancelled just before the next payment was due? Reading the small print on the back of sales invoice it does say the first deposit always refundable, and it also said "deposit refundable" on the front. You're right about the 2nd deposit, this is none refundable.

I ordered not from my local dealer, but from one that's over 100 miles way due to the fact that waiting lists in my part of the country are huge(or were huge at the time of ordering) so hopefully the dealer shouldn't have too much trouble finding another buyer.

ADD :: And just a thought , with the 997S wait being 9 month and the list being as long as there arm why should anyone loose money on a cancellation , just slot the next customer in .

Its simple the clauses are there to earn the P dealerships easy funds and also to stop/deter people from cancelling..

throt..

Quote:
    markwm said:
    I've only paid the Pounds3k deposit, maybe I cancelled just before the next payment was due? Reading the small print on the back of sales invoice it does say the first deposit always refundable, and it also said "deposit refundable" on the front. You're right about the 2nd deposit, this is none refundable.

I ordered not from my local dealer, but from one that's over 100 miles way due to the fact that waiting lists in my part of the country are huge(or were huge at the time of ordering) so hopefully the dealer shouldn't have too much trouble finding another buyer.

Yep you have canceled in time , in the way of only the first deposit handed over , I did the same , they will ask you why but theres nothing they can do about it . As I said at the second deposit stage you have entered the agreement , ( they got you by the goolies )..

Good Luck..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    ADD :: And just a thought , with the 997S wait being 9 month and the list being as long as there arm ...

I was quoted 6 months on 997S by Leeds & Sheffield Porsche around November.

Also, I was reading a thread by MES, in which he stated he ordered a 997 last week and he gets delivery in April.

Quote:
    markwm said:
    Quote:
    throt said:
    ADD :: And just a thought , with the 997S wait being 9 month and the list being as long as there arm ...

I was quoted 6 months on 997S by Leeds & Sheffield Porsche around November.

Also, I was reading a thread by MES, in which he stated he ordered a 997 last week and he gets delivery in April.

That waiting list may well of come down then , mine was a 9 month wait but I am in London..

throt..

I can see the lists going down. I mean, the Cayman and the upcomming 997TT surely have to have some impact on the Carrera sales, the new 4 & 4S also I guess.

I won't be getting a new car now until the end of the year, at least.

how did you manage to spec car for delivery 1st march, with out paying 10%.? Pounds 3000 is order deposit only .they should be able to sell this car no problem as it is good spec.!

Maybe they were slow in asking for the 2nd deposit?

Car was ordered on November, spec was locked pretty early too I remember.

my cayman is due 1st march as well, on spec i paid extra Pounds2500 back in november. they will return your money i am sure.

There are cars out there - was offered a CaymanS on 2 week delivery this week, pretty low spec, but 6 months of fun wouldn't have cost too much. Couldn't do without the soft top so gone 987S again.

Quote:
    markwm said:
    I won't be getting a new car now until the end of the year, at least.

Coorrrrr , we have the same credentials ..

May I welcome you to the ""I didn't do it"" club..

Congrats

throt..

I'm not sure how well the Cayman is selling just now. I know of two cars that were bought for immediate resale and a hopeful profit. Both cars have failed to sell via newspaper ads and are now at an independent dealer and are being advertised at list. The owners are keeping their fingers crossed they don't loose any cash.

I agree , I think the demand will be very average here in the UK..

throt..

I think it's dependant on location. When I ordered my Cayman the feeling I got was lead times are much longer in the north of england, than the south. I had to go to the 11th or so furthest OPC away from me to get a March delivery slot. Most dealers were quoting late 2006, into 2007. This was around the time when there was alot of very good magazine reviews comming out, but before the kinda silly Top Gear thing..

The people who are now trying to sell their Caymans with a premium don't deserve to sell them. I think people are wise to the fact that people are trying to make a few quid and don't take the bait.

Personally I am rather glad that some of these speculators are having problems, they completely misjudged the volume of cars that became available.
    In my experience, particularly if you are not too fussy about the exact spec, you can usually get a Porsche in the UK from a large OPC a lot quicker than you might think. Now that nearly 100,000 are made a year they are much more of a commodity than they used to be - but "queue-jumping" was just as prevalent when they only made 30-40,000 a year.
    However, I was at a Ferrari dealer today and a friend of mine who works there said they had just sold a car for $75k over list and they regularly buy "new" (ie pre-owned but unused) cars for $40-50k over list. They can only sell true new cars at list price.

I think there are a combination of factors at work here. I know a few guys who sell BMW's, Porsche's and Audi's. They all tell me that the new car market is tough just now and that buyers are a lot more shrewd these days in demanding more for their money. Porsche is to a mild extent suffering the effects of over supply and a slow down in demand. I should rephrase that - Porsche owners are suffering. The 997 is not the rock solid ownership potential that even the 996 was after launch. I lost Pounds10k on mine in 6 months and I'm far from alone if you look at the prices being "asked" for used 997's on Autotrader etc. The Cayman was launched at the wrong time of year and is arguably overpriced. I've yet to read a UK car mag that doesn't say great car but overpriced, should be closer to or less than price of a Boxster. I'm not going to get into all the silly arguements over which car is better as I have little doubt that the Cayman is a great little car in it's own right. I've posted before how easy it is to get relatively early delivery dates on factory order cars if you are a known customer so this tells us all something.

As for the speculators I agree that they are getting what they deserve. When I heard how expensive the Cayman was going to be it immediately struck me that the market for the car was going to be very limited. The speculators market is usually anyone who buys a car primarily for the badge and image and wants the latest model. However due to the close DNA ties with the Boxster most of these "image" buyers will likely stick with the Boxster 2.7 or wait for the used market to set the price on pre-owned Caymans to get a better deal. I doubt very much whether the improved performance times are as important to these people as the envy or jealousy of their neighbours. So this really leaves Porsche's traditional enthusiast customer base who will be willing to spend over Pounds45k on this car and they will do more research into availability and are more likely to be prepared to wait for the exact factory order spec they want.

ISUK,

You say your not here to get into silly agreements and yet you are still spouting about the car being overpriced and it will not sell. I've read a few reviews that question the need for a 911 when the Cayman nearly as fast but cost a lot less and loads of reviews that say the price is fair in comparison to the Boxster, have you actually driven the car, because if you have you'd know the difference.

How anyone can deduce that Cayman aren't selling based on ONE bloke who doesn't want to complete on his purchase is a bit churlish

If Cayman aren't selling as some 911 owners would love you to believe, it's due to the time of year and nothing else, who wants to buy a car in just after Christmas.

I think the fundamental problem is the Pounds44k list rising close to Pounds50k after adding a choice few goodies - it is simply too much. Now for anyone who walks into OPC to check out a Cayman S, might be put off after the sales chap calculates the price after options, the would be buyer suddenly gets cold feet and starts wondering: 'hey, WTF should I go for a 'lesser' model in the Porsche range when for the same price I could opt for a used 996 or even 997C2 for the same money?"

The danger for Cayman S is that after tracking the GT3 and Turbo market for the last 12months, there's a sudden shortage of MK 2 GT3s and Turbos - I think many of those people who have recently snapped up those 996s are the same people who fits the above description.

I think there's very few Cayman owners, or would be Cayman owners who had to decide between the Cayman and a used 996, some people always buy new.

I wonder why so many people comment about the Cayman being overpriced or too expensive - but nobody seems to say the same about the base 997 which costs 25% more than the Cayman.

I agree with Luko 100 % - who would even consider a used 996 instead of a new Cayman S ? (they are 2 completely different cars) - people who assume these types of things must also be assuming that the reason people are looking at Cayman's is that they can't afford the 911. That is simply not true in many cases. Many of us who have purchased a Cayman have owned 911's previously and, for any of a number of reasons which don't include money, are opting for the Cayman.

i agree with luko and rick. i want to try the cayman because it is something different,i would not buy non s 997 over the cayman nor at the moment the s.....simpy fancy a cayman.that does not mean i do not like 997 ,i do.

Toplad,

I think you should re-read my post. At no point was I belittling Cayman owners or prospective purchasers nor was I trying to start up the old discussion on price. In fact if you read my post again you'll see that I got hosed on my 997 when I sold it so, if anything, I'm knocking the residuals on this car more. I was merely trying to respond on a point about speculators in a previous comment on the thread and offer an opinion on why the Cayman has not attracted premiums. I actually said that part of it was due to the time of year. My comments on price were a refelction comments in the motoring mags which are aimed at enthusiasts and not just average car buyers. I was merely reporting that these publications - Autocar, Car & Evo to name but 3 that I've read - are universally praising the Cayman's handling and performance but all are lamenting it's price. This is not my view but theirs.

Don't get so defensive about your purchasing decision as I'm not trying to question it nor am I saying that the 997 is a far better car. Enjoy your car like I enjoyed my 997. I just didn't enjoy it costing me Pounds10k in depreciation over 6 months on such a new model but that's life and part of the lottery of sports car ownership. It's only on boards like these that people become either over defensive or paranoid. If I'd listened to all of the doom mongers on some of the Ferrari boards I'd never have bought a used 360 as there are some people out there who are convinced that Ferrari used values are in freefall I'm glad I took the plunge as this is the most exhilariting car I've ever owned and I find that I want to drive it much more than I ever did my 997.

Comments like a "nice little car" don't help mate!

Quote:
    toplad said:

Comments like a "nice little car" don't help mate!

toplad , I think your being a bit paranoid now ,

he has said nothing out of place .

Also I find ISUK a nice due and very helpful ..

Lets all stay cool bud..

throt..

Cheers throt. I didn't realise that I was being sizeist so sincere apologies to any Cayman owners as no offence was intended. If it helps to redress the balance I also think the 997 is a nice little car and I owned one of the those No doubt the 997 boys will get upset now

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780596 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442494 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263300 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261609 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85753 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5899 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881340 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818653 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM