Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Here's a tough one: I don't like how the Cayenne looks but..

...try to convince me to buy one (Cayenne Turbo).
    Use well founded arguments please. I'm serious about it!
    Any Cayenne Turbo owner out there to take this challenge?

The Cayenne is simply the best SUV in the world...

...and it truly is a Porsche, with all the handling and other excellent performance attributes that come with the brand.

Re: The Cayenne is simply the best SUV in the world...

You can do better, Jeffrey.
    Imagine I'm a dumb village nincompoop who doesn't have a clue about art, photography and other beautiful things in life and you want to sell me a picture.

Come on RC!
    Come back to the Porsche Family, we've missed you!
    Even though it's a big fat heavy SUV, wouldn't it be nice to find a proper steering again? and real brakes
    Plus you could get used to the looks.
    I agree with you, it's not the best looking car but IMO neither are any SUVs. Ok, maybe the FX but that's about it really.
    The Cayenne is a real off roader unlike the BM and the Merc, Volvo, etc... (Ok, so is the Range)
    It's nice to have a high seated position, I drive a Mitsu Pajero in Aberdeen and it's quite cool to be high up actually.
    Oh and for god's sake!!! It's a Porsche! Just go out there and buy one!!!!
    I reckon that just the fact that you are asking the question shows that you actually want one! Come on, you know you want one!
    Don't worry about the Merc, you can still get one when you turn 60
    Welcome back to the family mate (Come on, I know you want to!!!)
    Fanch.

RC, if you're...

..."a dumb village nincompoop who doesn't have a clue about art, photography and other beautiful things in life," I don't want to sell you a picture. NO amount of salesmanship will cause you to buy one of my pics or a Cayenne until you WANT one. You know that driving and owning a Porsche and buying works of art are about PASSION. You have it for something or you don't.

Re: RC, if you're...

Quote:
    You know that driving and owning a Porsche and buying works of art are about PASSION. You have it for something or you don't.

Not bad, Jeffrey...really not bad. Passion is one thing, right.

Francois, you seem to know me very well.
    I had a lot of "pressure" lately to go again for a Porsche.
    I only have one major problem: I love the Cayenne Turbo's technical specs, the performance (even if it isn't even close to a Porsche sports car) and the interior. I don't like the exterior design (a real problem because my wife doesn't like it too).
    I never bought a car because I liked or disliked how it looked but considering that my wife would drive that car too from time to time, I'm in a difficult situation.

There are actually other cars "involved" in a possible buying decision but I don't want to spoil the surprise.
    I need either a 4-seater for the family or a 2-seater which I can drive to work with too. A Cayenne Turbo would be OK as the family car, a Porsche sports car not (yet). More of it in a PM.

I would offer more encouragement because I would love to see you get a Cayenne Turbo but I think I will leave this in Fanch's very capable hands.

Re: Here's a tough one: I don't like how the Cayenne looks but..

tell you what, RC, tell ME why you WOULDN'T want one!

RC, if you were debating a Cayenne S (I won't joke with you about the V-6) I would attempt to sell you. The Turbo is as different from the rest of the pack as we all feel that Porsche, in general, is from anything else out there. Porsche has built a reputation on building performance and beauty that can be driven EVERY day. I happen to think that the Cayenne is quite good looking, but I will say that my admiration is also derived from learning about the technical details of the car as well. Its kind of like dating a better than average looking girl - she's no super model, but once you see what lies underneath you wouldn't trade her for a Cindy Crawford, Tyra Banks, etc. Looking under the skin at a vehicle that is designed to run over 150 mph AND weighs in excess of 5000 lbs. is incredible. The way the car adapts to situations is what amazes me. The suspension responds to speed by lowering the car to lower the center of gravity and stiffens to enhance control. The car is as fast as the Boxster S (6 Spd) in 0-100 kph, and seats 4 and can still tow more than its own weight. Being able to adjust the stiffness of the shocks, Sport, Normal, and Comfort modes is also quite nice for taming rough patches of road. The way that the suspension inherently does a better job of dampening bumps. I also am fascinated with the Cayenne's off road abilities, but feel that it is actually more impressive on pavement. You look at it and it looks like it should be able to do the things we see GM in Austin does with his, but you don't expext that it should run like a bat out of hell and corner like something half its size.

RC,you must buy a Cayenne Turbo,becouse otherwise when your 997 Turbo will arrive feels lonely in the box..specially with near a Mercedes

Ciao
    Dario

Quote:

I had a lot of "pressure" lately to go again for a Porsche.

That "pressure"" will not go away until you buy a Porsche again.
    That's what Porsche is all about the fever you have if you do not have one

B.T.W Porsche should give you a Cayenne for all the Rennteam work you are doing

Posches can be ugly and still good

Apologies in advance if you own one of the cars that follow....Whale tail 911, considered by many to be very very very ugly, still a great handling car, 911 cabrio, looks a lot uglier that standard 911, any porsche 911 with 'Carrera' or 'porsche' down the side, all in my opinion damn ugly. I don't think the cayenne is too pretty either, but I'm buying one, and I wouldn't say no to any of the cars above either, why? because when I'm driving it I look out and enjoy the drive. That in essence is why you buy a Porsche. If the drive isn't the most important factor when buying a car then look elsewhere and be happy with your slow, badly handling but beautiful car.

Re: Posches can be ugly and still good

Thanks a lot, guys. It really helped.
    So owning a Porsche is mostly about feelings and I guess you can't fight your feelings, right?
    I owned 4 Porsche sports cars before and I think I really got the Porsche virus but to people who know me, this is nothing new.

I'll keep you guys updated how I decided, shouldn't take longer than a week or two.

Very easy to decide. There are three reasons not to buy

a Turbo Cayenne.

Styling

Fuel consumption

Cost/Value

If any one or combination of the above reasons are important to you then you should not buy it. Every other aspect or characteristic of the TT Cayenne is far above every other SUV according to virtually every informed reviewer.

Re: Very easy to decide. There are three reasons not to buy

Quote:

Styling
    Fuel consumption
    Cost/Value

Styling? I don't like how the Cayenne looks but this is nothing new.
    Fuel consumption? I own a ML55 AMG, making the owner of my local fuel station very happy.
    Cost? Well, I care about cost because I'm not Bill Gates and not even close to his financial possibilities but cars are part of my life, like air.
    Resale value? I sold a 996 Turbo RS-Tuning with a substantial loss, I really think I shouldn't think about resale value too much...keeps you from getting a heart attack later on.

I still find it hard to understand why Porsche accepted the styling of the Cayenne like it is now but if I want one, it seems I have to live with it. A friend who visited me half abd hour ago told me this after he heard I might go for a Cayenne Turbo: "At night, all cats are black". Well, actually he did a different comparison but it is way too delicate to post it here.
    Let me add this to it: "...but if they are good mice hunters, who cares?". Try to change it to a more "adult" version and you'll understand.

Sounds more and more like you want a Cayenne mate:)
    Fanch.

Less or no mechanical problems compare to MB cars as well as the meanest SUV on earth.

RC, don't do it ...

first of all, i have to admit that the cayenne is growing on me. i' getting used to the situation that porsche is building such cars. and IMO it's good value for money, by porsche standards of course depreciation is expected to be high, but that has been discussed in this thread already.

but the cayenne is no sports car. you know it. i reckon you want the real deal. be patient, make no compromise which won't work out in the end!

one other point: when i checked out a cayenne at the dealer i noticed that the rear seat windows can't be lowered completely. about 5-7 cm are still standing up from the door. this is absurd -- this is no delorean kit car with gull-wing doors. it's a VW/porsche high end personal transporter with MASSIVE doors.

and regarding all this all terrain abilities: it won't work. not as long there's some option that changes your tires automatically from 20" zero rosso to all terrain tires.

ok, you know all this stuff. so i'll stop here. but if i'd want some SUV style car, i'd go for the range rover or the hummer H2

IMO with the delimited E55 you've got the perfect overland family rocket.

I am shocked again! I cannot believe the Cayenne is growing on you zz!

You make a good point about the E55. It would seem to be the perfect family rocket. SUV's, in general, provide some real benefits for family transportation that I am sure RC is aware of because of his experience with the ML55 so I won't go over those here and it is just a personal preference judgment.

I have not driven the E55 but I have driven an ML. The Cayenne, and the BMW X-5, have a significant advantage over the Mercedes in handling. Both the BMW and Porsche are able to give you a firm but comfortable ride while still giving good control in the corners. The ML and the other SUV's I test drove were not even in the same league. I have more experience with the Cayenne now in high speed cornering and can say that there have been no surprises. It has felt composed and controllable. It makes you feel confident. I have pushed hard enough to get all four wheels drifting just a little bit and it felt very neutral. Handling is a very big issue for me and the Cayenne delivers.

I sense that you don't plan to do much off-roading but I will just make a brief point about the Rosso's. These tires are not as delicate as you might think. Three weeks ago I would have agreed and at that time I was still thinking I wanted the Scorpion A/T's (in spite of their 118 mph limit ). Off-roading with the other Cayenne's on that ranch has changed my mind a little. There were 19" Rosso's, 18" Conti's (M&S; mine) and 18" Scorpion A/T's. The A/T's were the only ones that had a failure. This is the third anecdotal report of failure I have heard on this tire and I am becoming suspicious. I don't think I want them any more. Anyway, about the Rosso's, the guy using those was doing power slides on gravel roads, just like I did, and he had no problems. We all went over the same trails and hills. If you get Rosso's, which may be a good choice onroad, don't be afraid to take them off-road. Just use good judgment and don't go too far if your alone.

And the H2 or Rangie? I don't know you very well but neither of those seems to be a fit IMO.

And what about this cayenne?

http://www.fast-autos.net/gemballa/gemballagt600.html

I really like the looks of it

jean

Quote:
    IMO with the delimited E55 you've got the perfect overland family rocket.

Right but it doesn't have enough luggage room for longer distances. I also can't use it in winter time, I'd need winter tires and traction would be horrible, even with the LSD.
    There is also another reason but I can't say it until the E55 is gone (if it goes ).
    With a Cayenne Turbo, my re-entry into the Porsche sports car world would be much easier in 2-3 years, especially if I decide to go for a 997 Turbo. I can't explain why but just trust me.
    I get the final offer next week and I have to decide what I do.
    If it will be a Cayenne Turbo, it will be charcoal black with sandbeige (or maybe black? ) interior, PCM2, Advanced Offroad Package (not sure if I need it ), black painted 20'' Sport Techno(!) wheels, sport seats front, etc. I won't take delivery until march next year because I have a lot of work to do from January to end of February but if I badly need one, I can have one by January.
    It is a long story and I know the Cayenne Turbo is no sports car but it would be too complicated to explain everything right now. When I go for it, I'll post more details about the "why".

Quote:

If it will be a Cayenne Turbo, it will be charcoal black with sandbeige interior, PCM2, Advanced Offroad Package , black painted 20'' Sport Techno(!) wheels, sport seats front, etc.

Hey..Christian..but this is my Cayenne..no yours!?!?!?!

There is something wrong...

Ciao
    Dario

Quote:

Hey..Christian..but this is my Cayenne..no yours!?!?!?!

There is something wrong...

Ciao
    Dario

I saw the Cayenne in almost any color. It looks better in light colors but I don't like silver and I don't want to order a yellow or white one. Red is too much for such a large car, I think a dark blue or black suits it best. I've chosen black because it makes the Cayenne look a little bit less Porsche like, it looks more "neutral", can't explain it in my words. I need that if I want to drive in it to my office. I also think that the sandbeige interior makes the Cayenne looks classy, it gives it a touch of "aristocracy" (sounds stupid? ). With kids, the light leather might not be a good choice but my girl is already 3 and I hope my baby son will be more careful (wishful thinking ). The sport techno wheels look gorgeous on the Cayenne, you have to see if for yourself to believe it. Very nice! Not sure about the Advanced Offroad Package because I really don't need it but maybe it could be an advantage when selling the car.

Quote:

I also think that the sandbeige interior makes the Cayenne looks classy, it gives it a touch of "aristocracy" (sounds stupid? )

Yes it does!

But that's ok, we still love you!

Fanch.

Quote:
    also think that the sandbeige interior makes the Cayenne looks classy, it gives it a touch of "aristocracy" (sounds stupid? :crazy

Let's put it this way: it makes it look a little less like the general drugdealermachine ..

(it would be with chrome plated wheels and black interior)

Quote:
    Let's put it this way: it makes it look a little less like the general drugdealermachine ..

(it would be with chrome plated wheels and black interior)

Well, I'd never put chrome plated wheels on my car, this really looks silly. I watch MTV Base all the time (my favorite music channel) and I see those Escalades or SLs with chrome plated wheels all the time, not my favorite, really. But as I actually am a (legal!) drug dealer, this might not be a real problem for me.
    I saw a black Cayenne Turbo with black painted sport techno wheels at the factory a while ago and I really liked how it looked. Classy but "mean" too. The Havanna/Sandbeige interior adds that certain classy look to it, a nice contrast. I guess real (illegal) drugdealers would choose a red interior.

Just kidding RC! I know what bussiness you're in
    The black wheels on your Turbo worked out very well so I think I can trust you on this... but maybe you could think about a Naturbraun (English: sort of tan like) interior, it's even more "classy". The leather color in the first silver CGT showcar really is my favourite.

Quote:
    Just kidding RC! I know what bussiness you're in
    The black wheels on your Turbo worked out very well so I think I can trust you on this... but maybe you could think about a Naturbraun (English: sort of tan like) interior, it's even more "classy". The leather color in the first silver CGT showcar really is my favourite.

Naturbraun is a bit too dark for me and it costs extra money.
    Havanna/Sandbeige is really nice but personally I'd prefer a black interior with red stiching. Honestly. It is possible but it would delay delivery by at least one month.
    The whole Cayenne Turbo deal isn't 100% yet, my dealer didn't seriously talk money yet, so I have the time to make the right decision for me. I definetely get black painted Sport Techno wheels if I go for the Cayenne Turbo but there is still the word if. After seeing Luigi's (LG1) GT3 RS pictures on the Porsche 996 Board, I'm tempted to forget about a SUV. A sports car can be a nice family car too (see picture). BTW: my little girl just woke up, she looks a little bit weird on this picture.

Quote:

. After seeing Luigi's (LG1) GT3 RS pictures on the Porsche 996 Board, I'm tempted to forget about a SUV.

Christian..maybe yestarday we talk for nothing!?!??!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689282 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409069 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255686 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234938 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65494 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857875 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773873 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM