Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: I SAAAAWWW THE ORDER GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:It cost them nothing to use the old 996 engine. All they have to do is increase turbo boost to extract extra hp.

Rright, VTG is just an increase in turbo boost

It's he FIRST gasoline engine in the world to use this technology. How isn't that an 'innovation'?
    Sheesh...

When will we see it? Next year? Two years from now? Three? When?

What are you going to do in the mean time? Pay more for the same old, same old?

Isn't the VTG coming on the soon-to-be-current 997tt? So I guess the answer will be.... SOON.

Thanks a LOT dimitri , you're the new man in town (rennteam's town that is)

Guys, you know what you have to do: hang around in the showroom of your dealer, wait for an opening, and then go right to the manger's desk. The first drawer is always a good guess. Don't froget your swiss knife in case you have to pick the lock. (MacGyver kind of way ) Then just use your digital camera like they do in those bond movies. 1 take per page.

I love this forum for guy like you!

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:It cost them nothing to use the old 996 engine. All they have to do is increase turbo boost to extract extra hp.

It's he FIRST gasoline engine in the world to use this technology. How isn't that an 'innovation'?
    Sheesh...

When will we see it? Next year? Two years from now? Three?

In three months, on the new TT, as they already announced?

i saw you picking in z order guide! aire fik dimitri1

Excellent work! Next time, carry the Minox with you. This should be a clue to others to be vigilent for the same file sitting openly on YOUR dealer's desk...

Dan

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:

Sheesh...

Whoops. I'm refferering to PDK or whatever it's called these days. Instead, you get the same old tiptronic 5 speed garbage. As an option? Rediculous!

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:

Sheesh...

Whoops. I'm refferering to PDK or whatever it's called these days. Instead, you get the same old tiptronic 5 speed garbage. As an option? Rediculous!

Garbage? If I buy an Auto, it sure as hell better be smooth, not the POS jerky F1/SMG system. Your sequential transmissions are only good for one thing - convincing automatic lovers that they actually still ARE driving stick, only that their's is much better. No, thanks.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

Now you're backpedalling
    We we're talking about the engine and it's false lack of 'innovations'.

Real men drive stick anyway

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

Now you're backpedalling

I'm not a big follower of Porsche. I have no idea what VTG is. But, I stand by what I said: no new innovation.

"Real men drive stick" Did you check with RC?

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    I'm not a big follower of Porsche. I have no idea what VTG is. But, I stand by what I said: no new innovation.

If you have no idea what VTG is (the single most important and innovative feature of all) then why are you making statements on something you don't have a clue about?

The engine on the 997TT will whip any of its competitor's butt, and some people seem to be getting nervous...

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

Now you're backpedalling

Hmm.. are you aware that PDK/DSG is not a new innovation either, having been used by Porsche about 15 years ago?
    By this logic, WHAT innovation would satisfy your appetite for new things? Antigravitational suspension? (Now THAT would be cool, indeed )

Quote:

I was just trying to lighten up the air.. it's starting to get real tense in here
    But yeah, I checked, he said i'm allowed to think for myself

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

Now you're backpedalling

Hmm.. are you aware that PDK/DSG is not a new innovation either, having been used by Porsche about 15 years ago?
    By this logic, WHAT innovation would satisfy your appetite for new things? Antigravitational suspension? (Now THAT would be cool, indeed )

Quote:

I was just trying to lighten up the air.. it's starting to get real tense in here
    But yeah, I checked, he said i'm allowed to think for myself

I'm not too concern with whether Porsche innovates or not(backpedaling?) but, you have to admit, it's a bit chincy to be using the same old engine. Especailly, when all porschephiles like you were salivating over a whole new engine. You gotta be a little disappointed?

In investing there's a saying: you can put lipstick on a pig, but, its still a pig. Porsche can slap a new gizmo on there old engine and call it VTG. But...

" But yeah, I checked, he said i'm allowed to think for myself "

Good! I was starting to think:

isn't this conversation getting peachy...

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    you have to admit, it's a bit chincy to be using the same old engine....Porsche can slap a new gizmo on there old engine and call it VTG. But...

Well that "same old engine" happens to be bulletproof, and that VTG "gizmo" is going to be a technological innovation of high acclaim. Any criticism or twinges of angst on my behalf are only anticipatory anxiety as I have the utmost hope and expectation that the 997TT and its variants (Cab, S, GT2) will blow away the sports car competition and maintain for Porsche the 911Turbo's legendary reputation and unrelenting appeal.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:

We still have time to "show RC the light" on that tranny selection. Especially now that per DHayek's photographic revelation, only Tip and manual are the launch options, and we want his test drive report to describe the cluch feel and gear shift with the torque and pull at low rev's.

Please explain how the 997tt will be faster than the corvette Z06, the turbo has 25hp less and will probably weigh more than 400lbs more than the vette? I love Porsche, but wish they would wake up and make the turbo a monster. Since the 993-997 there has only been 80hp increase and that stinks, why cant the turbo have more hp than the cayenne turbo S... and my whole reason for being pissed is that i live in an area where i am surrounded by C5/C6 and Z06 vettes which bug me when i hear them yell out porsche sucks and these are adult men not kids, to make things worse the new C6 Z06 can really eat up porsches model lineup with the exception of the CGT. You future 997tt owners know you guys are going to be nervous when a C6 Z06 is next to you at a stop light, if your not your kidding your self. PORSCHE please go back and race as a FACTORY!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhh......No pdk/dsg.....
    So disappointing...T.T

Maybe PDK isnt ready for prime time yet? So why wait? A manual transmission is more fun and the 480hp VTG 997TT will be a dam good car. It will probably have a top speed of close to 200mph.

Name another daily driver 2+2 awd sports car with a 200mph top speed? There isnt one.

Manual, Tiptronic or PDK? It doesnt really matter. The 997 Turbo will be in a class of its own just as the 996TT was, but faster and better.

Quote:
    996cal said:
    Please explain how the 997tt will be faster than the corvette Z06, the turbo has 25hp less and will probably weigh more than 400lbs more than the vette? I love Porsche, but wish they would wake up and make the turbo a monster. Since the 993-997 there has only been 80hp increase and that stinks, why cant the turbo have more hp than the cayenne turbo S... and my whole reason for being pissed is that i live in an area where i am surrounded by C5/C6 and Z06 vettes which bug me when i hear them yell out porsche sucks and these are adult men not kids, to make things worse the new C6 Z06 can really eat up porsches model lineup with the exception of the CGT. You future 997tt owners know you guys are going to be nervous when a C6 Z06 is next to you at a stop light, if your not your kidding your self. PORSCHE please go back and race as a FACTORY!!!!!!

You're not serious, are you???!
    Porsche driving is not about red light racing.
    You have to look at the whole package.
    Best example: the "old" 996 Turbo. It has 420 HP only, it is almost 6 years old but it did the Nordschleife BELOW 8 minutes (to be precise: 7:56). Look at the newer cars on the market like the BMW M6, BMW M5, even the Corvette C06 which is much lighter and has almost the same power...NONE of them came even close to the 996 Turbo.

If you want to win red light races, I suggest you buy one of those supercharged rice burners with NOS system.

Why would "factory racing" improve their cars? Look at Ferrari: does the F430 have 700 HP? They can't even make the F430 have a decent track performance without using semi-slicks. Funny enough, the "old" 996 Turbo S still kicks the F430's a... I agree with one thing only: I don't think that 480 HP are enough, from a marketing point of view. The Mercedes SL 55 AMG got 500 HP for a couple of years now. Also look at the direct competitors from Lamborghini and BMW.

Porsche should have given the 997 Turbo 500 HP flat. End of discussion. There would still have been room for more in a GT2 and the Turbo S. But I guess it was about money again, they want to sell their damn powerkit and of course they want to leave some "air" to the top for other models.

And finally, comparing the Cayenne Turbo S power with the 997 Turbo power doesn't make any sense. Why don't you compare the power of the Mercedes S 65 AMG with the 997 Turbo then? You can't compare Apples to Oranges.

And finally: I love all those demands for more power but I bet that 99% of those who demand monster power, can't even handle it. Maybe on the straight line. So please, guys: before asking for more power, how about asking for a free driving ed event?

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    I'm not too concern with whether Porsche innovates or not(backpedaling?) but, you have to admit, it's a bit chincy to be using the same old engine.

Weren't all the Ferrari engines (V8's and V12's) up until recently based on the "dino" design? How far back does that design go?

Now they are all based on the 4244cc engine found in the Masserati Coupe (including the Enzo.) Do you really think you will find an "all new" engine design for the 430 successor? Doubt it.

From an engineering perspective, it's smart, not to mention a common practice through-out the automotive industry.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    i went to my dealer , in his office i saw a file showing 997turbo order guide , my heart started beating! he went out of the office to speak with somebody ,i couldnt help myself ,i took it ! and started to read like crazy!i never readed that fast!! i had like 3 to 4 minutes ,when he came back to the office he saw me and was very pissed off,i told him sorry i didnt knew it was confidential even tough it was written bold on it "strictly confidential" so once again rennteam is the first to know!!!!
    the highlights of what i saw:
    3.6 480PS
    NO direct injection,standard sequential injection
    NO PDK ,standard is manual,5 speed tiptronic optional
    TPMS standard
    PCCB optional
    sport chrono package turbo optional , concerning this one ,i saw the description of it,it was the same description than the sport chrono package ,nothing about the overboost,so why a different name ,i dont know
    rear axle differential lock optional
    19inch two tone turbo wheels standard
    NO carrera gt style seats , only the adaptive sport seats like the C2S
    price 4% higher than 996turbo
    NO sport exhaust
    short shifter optional
    and all the rest is optional ,the leather options,bose,telephone,wood,aluminum just like the C2S
    this is mainly what i recall ,if you ask me questions i will tell you if i saw it in the order guide...

what a night...

Thanks a lot for your spy works!

guys,who can stop rennteamers? nothing!

But coming back..

A)I'm not so happy that the engine is 3.6...
    B)i'm happy for the differential lock and the lowered suspension options
    C)I hate that there isn't the CGT seats options
    D)I'm happy that the price is "low"
    E)the power isn't a surprise..

but now my question is...
    Is possible that after 6 months/an year there will be more options like CGT seats,PDK,20" rims etc..and who buy first cars will be joked?

mmmh...

Ciau

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    i went to my dealer , in his office i saw a file showing 997turbo order guide , my heart started beating! he went out of the office to speak with somebody ,i couldnt help myself ,i took it ! and started to read like crazy!i never readed that fast!! i had like 3 to 4 minutes ,when he came back to the office he saw me and was very pissed off,i told him sorry i didnt knew it was confidential even tough it was written bold on it "strictly confidential" so once again rennteam is the first to know!!!!
    3.6 480PS
    TPMS standard
    PCCB optional
    sport chrono package turbo optional , concerning this one ,i saw the description of it,it was the same description than the sport chrono package ,nothing about the overboost,so why a different name ,i dont know
    NO sport exhaust
    short shifter optional
    and all the rest is optional ,the leather options,bose,telephone,wood,aluminum just like the C2S
    this is mainly what i recall ,if you ask me questions i will tell you if i saw it in the order guide...

What lowered suspension options? Did I miss something?

Also, what is meant by two tone turbo wheels?

I believe it's referring to these...(taken from other thread)

Silver two-tones:

Quote:
    (ex)Chef_jmr said:
    I believe it's referring to these...(taken from other thread)

Silver two-tones:

I was thinking that might be it. Thanks.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    3.6 480PS
    TPMS standard
    PCCB optional
    NO sport exhaust
    short shifter optional

with the rear diff lock,there will be lowered suspension too..something like the -20 for the 997

Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Super Darius said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    3.6 480PS
    TPMS standard
    PCCB optional
    NO sport exhaust
    short shifter optional

with the rear diff lock,there will be lowered suspension too..something like the -20 for the 997

I hope it's available for us here in the US. Unfortunately, -20mm was not in the US for the 997.

first: what is TPMS?

second: i don't understand your problem, that porsche uses the base engine of the 996, which uses the same base as the 993 and 964. this engine block and crankase and so on... is one of the best available. these parts were used in le mans - and won. tell me another carmaker who uses engines (parts) from their 24h racing cars in roadcars? what would you like to improve at this engine? it has a very sophisticated variable valve timing, it is able to rev very high (see the GT3), it can handle above 700hp with some modification... who else can do this? this engine is a masterpiece of engineering!!! i know, there are many newer engines available, but are they better? did they win le mans?
    see it from another point of view. this engine was one of the best available in 1990 and since then, they improved it with every new generation! and in my eyes, it is still the best and most relieable turbocharged engine.

Quote:
    guy2 said:
    first: what is TPMS?

second: i don't understand your problem, that porsche uses the base engine of the 996, which uses the same base as the 993 and 964. this engine block and crankase and so on... is one of the best available. these parts were used in le mans - and won. tell me another carmaker who uses engines (parts) from their 24h racing cars in roadcars? what would you like to improve at this engine? it has a very sophisticated variable valve timing, it is able to rev very high (see the GT3), it can handle above 700hp with some modification... who else can do this? this engine is a masterpiece of engineering!!! i know, there are many newer engines available, but are they better? did they win le mans?
    see it from another point of view. this engine was one of the best available in 1990 and since then, they improved it with every new generation! and in my eyes, it is still the best and most relieable turbocharged engine.

TPMS=tyre pressure monitoring system

thx, so TPMS is the same as RDK (RDK = german for TPMS)

and can you tell me, what the new PCM 3 will offer?

and will there be a real ipod integration, using the software and so on, or just an aux in?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781330 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442680 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263404 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261756 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85877 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5939 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881505 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819184 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM