Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 599 GTB

Quote:
    temm said:
    I still think the 599 will be the car to beat in this category, regardless of weight.

That's also what I think and with 620 hp and - let's say 1700 kg the competitors will have a hard time.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    I've seen high res pics of the three official pics and you can see a lot of neat details there, I think they all go together very well. I think we have a great styling for the next couple of years.

You mean these (Found some HIGH-RES pics assman )
    It has carbon brakes as well, clearly visible in these pictures.

I think this car looks fantastic in high-resolution. As Rossi said, there are so many details

And the sound - after watching the 4Car video it reminds me of a Spitfire/Mustang with the Rolls Royce Merlin engine, especially in the first driveby where he is just cruising

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    BTW, car seems to have Enzo-style steering wheel wiht LEDs in the upper part of the wheel.

Yes, it sure looks like it

Quote:
    temm said:
    You mean these

Yes, the three official pics so far. Biggest resolution I've seen was 3976 x 2362 and there you can see many very nice details.

I've also noticed the CCM, but as I know Ferrari, I'd guess they are an 20k option...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    temm said:
    You mean these

Yes, the three official pics so far. Biggest resolution I've seen was 3976 x 2362 and there you can see many very nice details.

Click on Attachment in the post header to view the ones I posted in full resolution, they are 3700 x 2362.

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    temm said:
    You mean these

Click on Attachment in the post header to view the ones I posted in full resolution, they are 3700 x 2362.

Temm thanks!

From the second pic you can clearly see the how the rear has been heavily influence by the 355.

Re: interesting details

Farina:

What is the vent in the back for? Transmission cooler? Thanks

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    temm said:
    I still think the 599 will be the car to beat in this category, regardless of weight.

That's also what I think and with 620 hp and - let's say 1700 kg the competitors will have a hard time.

Absolutely! No merci for Murci!!

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Farina:

I would think rear brakes.

Gary

This car looks better and better the more I see it....
    I love the rear 3/4 view!

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Farina:

I would think rear brakes.

Gary

Gary:

I thought that too, at first. But, seeing that its equipped with ceramics, it wouldn't need it.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:I thought that too, at first. But, seeing that its equipped with ceramics, it wouldn't need it.

Ceramic brakes need ALOT of cooling. Since there is so little mass in the rotors, there is nowhere for the heat to go (not the typical heat sinking ability of massive steel rotors), except back into the pads and calipers which can boil the brake fluid (loss of braking). That's why F1 cars need to have brake ducts of a critical size (pure carbon brakes).

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:I thought that too, at first. But, seeing that its equipped with ceramics, it wouldn't need it.

Ceramic brakes need ALOT of cooling. Since there is so little mass in the rotors, there is nowhere for the heat to go (not the typical heat sinking ability of massive steel rotors), except back into the pads and calipers which can boil the brake fluid (loss of braking). That's why F1 cars need to have brake ducts of a critical size (pure carbon brakes).

Gee, I always thought pure carbon brakes thrive on heat? At least thats what I read some years ago in Popular Mechanics.

Also, I thought being Ceramic, they were much more heat resistant?

It is indeed a rather contrived design, but to stunning effect.

Quote:
    farina said:
    very interesting details

Nice job with the graphics!

Ferrari marketing must be so spooked with the reputation of the 612 Scragly-ugly that it couldn't bare to name this 5999 cc motored car a "600" GTB ( gran turismo berlinetta )! Convenient nomenclature , though , as the metal flip top version can be simply 599GTS. I can understand why " Imola " wasn't picked : sounds too much like " immolate " ( to kill or destroy by fire ) - not a wise thing for a car name .

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Gee, I always thought pure carbon brakes thrive on heat? At least thats what I read some years ago in Popular Mechanics.

Also, I thought being Ceramic, they were much more heat resistant?

You are right in both both cases, but only when it comes to the brake rotors.
    They need heat to hit the ideal working temperature, and being very heat resistant they can resist extreme temperarures without fading.
    BUT, as Grant says, they have little mass and thus radiates alot of heat to the surroundings, the closest objects being the pads and calipers, which in turn need alot of cooling.

Quote:
    Fanch said:

Not that Americans are more puritans than other nationalities, Ron, you know L. and she's not particularly into fondamentalism Christianity, but she said a lot of Christian Americans will be outraged by the rim design which is the star of Satan.

Do you remenber that Montezemolo offered an Enzo to the Pope... well i think they won't be offering a 599 to the new pope

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:
    I had the same thought about the wheels, but at least in Europe i think it won't be a problem.
    I really find the wheels a work of art.

Some data of the new wheels:

front 245/40 ZR 19
    rear 305/35 ZR 20

Are you shore? pretty agrssive measures for a GT ... cool!

Quote:
    temm said:
    I think this car looks fantastic in high-resolution. As Rossi said, there are so many details

And the sound - after watching the 4Car video it reminds me of a Spitfire/Mustang with the Rolls Royce Merlin engine, especially in the first driveby where he is just cruising

Temmm thanks for the fotos !!!

Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:
    Quote:
    temm said:

Temmm thanks for the fotos !!!

You're welcome
    You can clearly see the wheel/tire dimensions in the high-res pictures.

Right you are !!!
    just read that Ferrari is for some time now, working on the 599 GT FIA version....now imagine how that will look like

okay, so this is real. I like it and I don't.

First, what is the deal with the rear lights? Is this Ferrari not a real Ferrari- is it too new to earn the double lights?

Quote:
    0two9 said:

First, what is the deal with the rear lights? Is this Ferrari not a real Ferrari- is it too new to earn the double lights?

Everyone is into retro ( see the " new " Camaro , Challenger, Miura too) - catering to those who have the fattest wallets - aging baby boomers with empty nests . Ferrari will load on the " heritage " features , I guarantee - from 275 GTB big single rear lights , " 50's " voluptuous " curves oddly juxstaposed with late 60s P3 vertical headlights to inevitably, soon to be seen 250GTO's triple hood vents ! It just doesn't sit right to have 50 years of different iconic features , each beautiful in isolation all pasted on ONE car , though. You end up with mongrels.

I actually like the 599. It has "Ecken und Kanten" like we say here in Germany, it is not "glattgeluscht" like the F430 which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful Ferrari on this planet but beauty easily gets boring after some time. I leave the translation to Rossi.

In my opinion, the 599 could become a huge success for Ferrari since it looks very special. Like a mixture between the Enzo and the 575 M. I really like this car and with 620 HP, it should be a blast to drive.

Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    rosso nuvola said:
    I had the same thought about the wheels, but at least in Europe i think it won't be a problem.
    I really find the wheels a work of art.

Some data of the new wheels:

front 245/40 ZR 19
    rear 305/35 ZR 20

Are you shore? pretty agrssive measures for a GT ... cool!

Yep, absolutely.

Quote:
    BluCamSS said:
    This car looks better and better the more I see it....
    I love the rear 3/4 view!

It's true the more you look at it the more you like it, very modern more angular design.

Overall the reactions on here are much more favorable than on F-chat, where they are just starting to calm down after the initial shock. Good thing Ferrari hasn't gone public yet as their price would have plummeted.

I think it's great, and it is getting better each time I look at it. The rear window/buttress area is very original. I love the front end too, nice an aggressive. The 550/575 were too subtle, too refined. It is a GT, but a Ferrari GT so it should be aggressive.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    0two9 said:

Everyone is into retro ( see the " new " Camaro , Challenger, Miura too) - catering to those who have the fattest wallets - aging baby boomers with empty nests . Ferrari will load on the " heritage " features , I guarantee - from 275 GTB big single rear lights , " 50's " voluptuous " curves oddly juxstaposed with late 60s P3 vertical headlights to inevitably, soon to be seen 250GTO's triple hood vents ! It just doesn't sit right to have 50 years of different iconic features , each beautiful in isolation all pasted on ONE car , though. You end up with mongrels.

I remember reading (when the 575 was released) an article with Montezemolo who said they considered triple front vents in the design on the 575 but decided against it as they were less efficient than the single intake of the 550/575.

Don't think we'll see them on future V12 ferraris - which is a shame as they looked great on the GTO.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779721 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442334 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263158 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261462 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85678 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5837 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881169 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817904 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM