Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

BjoernB:

I've heard they have a termal issue with the car - in switzerland 6 month delay if you want to order one despite that they have demo cars now....- dunno if true but one guy from our Office testdrove one and got that info back...yes

Many thanks for the info Smiley

acky:

The sheet is right about the TT RS. It was never possible to configure a TTRS. Audi build a few hundreds preconfigured cars last year.
    They have problems with the new R1234yf cooling fluid required 2017 in the EU. All models with the new 5 cylinder engine are on hold.
    The engine runs too hot for the new cooling fluid, which has a much lower flash point temperature (I dont know if that is the right translation).

Public availability was canceled october 2016. The 2016 cars still have the old fluid and need a examption to be registered 2017, which they got in the last week of 2016 for the about 100 cars which they not manage to sell in time.

It was a big mistake by Audi not to include the R1234yf when the redesign the new 5 cylinder engine. There are rumous that they asume they can get a examption until 2018 or later. But after dieselgate the authorities the not generous to VW/Audi anymore.

--

daily: BMW 430d
    for fun: Porsche Boxster GTS

Very interesting, will verify with my Audi guy when I meet him. Could explain why my dealer has a used TT RS for sale but no new cars (he usually always has all new models available, new and used).

I doubt there are thermal issues though, Audi wouldn't sell such a car to customers (I guess Smiley).

So owning a new TT RS seems to be quite a thing now...maybe I should switch from my Mini JCW to the TT RS? Smiley (just kidding, the TT RS is 70k EUR...too much for a small city car).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RS3 sedan will be at the big dealers mid 2017 and public productions will be delivered in fall, that's what my Audi dealer told me. Though he hasn't said a word about an issue with the coolant or something else.

The TT RS they build until end of december has had no issues, because they use the old fluid.

The new fluid could inflame because it is too hot in the engine bay at some critical points where the fluid lines are.
    The engine itself is not overheating or something else. I wrote it too simplified before (= wrong) .

The issue is about the AC coolant, not the engine coolant.
    The AC coolant could inflame when there is a leak in one of the AC coolant line.
    I dont think they want to see burning TTRS, like wie see burning GT3s in the past. Smiley

--

daily: BMW 430d
    for fun: Porsche Boxster GTS

OK, some interesting news:

1. R8 facelift is far away...very far away, not even a dealer announcement close. So I assume it won't happen before mid/end 2018. Earliest.

2. R8 sells better than Audi expected, which seems to confirm that those used and very cheap Audi 24h Experience cars at many German dealers kind of throw a wrong picture on R8 sales.

3. R8 GT or "special model" based on the Huracan Performante is on it's way but no availability date is known yet.

4. New RS5 is delayed, same goes to TT RS and RS3 new car deliveries will be affected as well as far as I heard.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

LOL. Of course the R8 facelift is super far away. The car hasn't even been out for a year in the US.

noone1:

LOL. Of course the R8 facelift is super far away. The car hasn't even been out for a year in the US.

Usually, dealers get a heads up at least 18 months before a facelift (basically in the middle of a model generation). Also, there were rumors that the R8 doesn't sell that well because of the many "cheap" used cars available at German dealers, even considering the fact that these are 24h Experience cars Audi wants to "get rid off", so some people (not me) believed rumors about a possible facelift in late 2017 or early 2018.

Btw: The R8 was introduced around 18 months ago in Germany.

--

RC:

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    RC:

Smiley

No Smiley or Smiley or Smiley or something similar?

What have you done with bluelines? Smiley 

Smiley

--

I am being nice now in January so it is over with. Then I can be myself the rest of the year smileywink

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:

I am being nice now in January so it is over with. Then I can be myself the rest of the year smileywink

OK, I am relieved. Smiley I already thought you became more Swiss (neutral) than is healthy for you. Smiley

--

UK R8 prices up by £3k as at 12 January 17 ..

sfo:

Smiley Brexit? Smiley

--

Top Gear: Chris Harris drives Audi R8 V10 Plus vs Honda NSX vs Porsche 911 Turbo in the rain...

​​​​​​​Video Link: http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-honda-nsx-vs-audi-r8-v10-vs-porsche-911-turbo

wink kiss wink

A good reminder of why the Turbo is so good - if not too good...

--

Tesla Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab & 2014 BMW X5 & 2014 BMW i3 2017 - Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

EnglishManInNY:

A good reminder of why the Turbo is so good - if not too good...

No, a reminder why car journalists, including Chris Harris (because I know for a fact that he had issues in the R8), should learn the right setups in every car for such a weather.  Smiley

I did some crazy stuff yesterday in Austria on snow and very slippery roads and the R8 is neutral as hell. You just need to switch the AWD to "Comfort" mode, that simple. Everything else can stay in dynamic mode. The 991.2 Turbo S can dream of such a neutral AWD behavior in any of it's driving modes. It would also be interesting to learn what tires the cars had (I couldn't listen to the video with sound since I am in the office right now).

Another thing, which may be the fault of Audi engineers: With ESP turned off completely, you need to treat the R8 like a raw egg. This was a mistake because no track professional buys a R8, as sad as this may sound. Audi is marketing the car completely wrong, the R8 is not a typical track car, it would need a more refined chassis setup (with less compromises to comfort) and better tires for that. 

That guy in front of me was doing 40 kph...just in comparison. Smiley The road was pretty slippery but lots of fun, basically went my way up the mountain sideways Smiley (had to brake because of the car in front of me though, to keep a safe distance).

unspecified-27.jpeg

--

RC:
    sfo:

Smiley Brexit? Smiley

yes, £ much weaker

A few photos from Austria...nothing spectacular though (was busy driving and my daughter didn't really wanted to take photos yes).

unspecified-32.jpeg

unspecified-31.jpeg

unspecified-30.jpeg

unspecified-29.jpeg

unspecified-34.jpeg
    View of the Zugspitze...Germany's largest mountain (view from Austrian side).

unspecified-33.jpegFinally...I got dirt on my car. indecision

--

I'm more and more fan of this car. Delicious!!!

I had a 30 mile drive in a brand new R8 V10 Spyder yesterday in about 5C but dry weather. Following are impressions only based on this short acquaintance.

The engine was absolute magic; the responsiveness, the very free revving nature of the engine, and the sounds it made. I actually preferred the exhaust setting in standard (Car has sport exhaust) as there is more granularity to the sound rather just volume.

I thought the magento suspension pretty good too, allowing the car to grip and handle on bumpy UK roads.Car has the 20" wheels.

It felt light but somehow artificially so. While the suspension was doing wonderful things, I felt a sense of disconnection between what I was experiencing in the car, and what it was actually doing.

Most disappointing for me was the steering .. car has the dynamic steering (set to dynamic). While accurate, it felt a bit weird as resistance and response rate was a bit unpredictable. It was a bit too synthetic for me. It's like listening to a CD rather than being at the live performance.

I suspect the Coupe would be better. I would get a base V10 without the dynamic steering, the sport exhaust or the magneto suspension but with 19" forged wheels and ceramics for UK use.

I can't get over how amazing the engine is .. it was new and barely run in, so I only made a few forays into the upper regions on the rev range. I love that even in 3rd gear, you are not doing silly speeds at high revs.

Spyder very cramped .. I am 172cm and fit OK but there was about an inch between my seatback and the rear wall.

Dealer was desperate to sell me one of his stock Spyders -- they have 7 in their dealer group of about 5 showrooms (they had 3 in the showroom I was in; black, white and grey), and only 1 V10 Plus Coupe - ara blue (not a fan). all had the 20" wheels. Spyders not selling probably due to weather.

Apparently, if I order now, it's September production -- very likely a lie as they were desperate to sell me a stock car.

Do not get the Spyder, the Spyder chassis/steering is way too soft and comfortable. If you liked the Sypder, you will love the Coupe. The Sypder, like the V10 non Plus Coupe, has a completely different chassis setup (incl. different Magnetic Ride setup, different swaybars and other chassis parts, even a different ESP and AWD setup). I was shocked how bad the non-Plus Coupe was and a short Spyder test-drive confirmed that the Spyder uses the same setup.

The engine is a marvel, same goes to the gearbox.

--

in R8 brochure, the Plus included 'Plus Sport Suspension'

sfo:

in R8 brochure, the Plus included 'Plus Sport Suspension'

The Plus is different...different chassis (not only the setup but actually parts!) and different software setup, also while the V10 engines in both models are absolutely the same (hardware is identical, up to the last screw, believe it or not), the gearbox isn't and has a different gearing ratio.

The Spyder looks better than the Coupe, no doubt about it (saw a grey one in Munich near Residenz last Saturday, a customer car) but this is no car someone who prefers are more "dynamic" chassis setup and feel will love. This isn't necessarily about sportiness, the car just feels soft and indirect, it is difficult to explain. 

--

I prefer the looks of the Coupe.

I need to drive a V10 Plus ..

sfo:

I prefer the looks of the Coupe.

I need to drive a V10 Plus ..

Indeed. Huge difference! Smiley

--

RC:

(because I know for a fact that he had issues in the R8)

The road was pretty slippery but lots of fun, basically went my way up the mountain sideways Smiley 

What were the bugs Chris had on R8?

You going sideways??!! Well it´s not your style Smiley but you got to be brave to play in such weather/tarmac conditions Smiley

Great pics btw Smiley

--

J.Seven

J.Seven:
    RC:

(because I know for a fact that he had issues in the R8)

The road was pretty slippery but lots of fun, basically went my way up the mountain sideways Smiley 

What were the bugs Chris had on R8?

He made complaints about the many (confusing???) setups for the engine/gearbox/ESP. I don't find these setups to be confusing at all and I wish there were even more. Smiley I found his R8 review quite weird. He obviously liked the car a lot but then started complaining about the various driving setups (electronics), something he usually doesn't. Maybe he got off on the wrong foot that day or he was in a bad mood, I don't have a clue.

You going sideways??!! Well it´s not your style Smiley but you got to be brave to play in such weather/tarmac conditions Smiley

I wish I could take the credit but ESP was on, everything was in Dynamic mode and I basically kept a steady throttle foot and everything else was easy peasy because the road was slippery (not ice but a mix of wet pavement and snow mud). Also, it went up-hill, so no real risks involved, as weird as this may sound. Have done this hundreds of times in winter. Downhill I wouldn't have done that for various safety reasons. The R8 winter tires (Continental TS830) are pretty good but they loose traction fast but evenly (not instantly), probably because they are good to Vmax of 270 kph and are not specifically made for snow and ice. Still a pretty good tire on snow and mud if you take in consideration braking distances.

Great pics btw Smiley

You are too kind, I know they are not special but it was the best I could do in the hurry I was in (we were a group of people and I had couldn't stop for long because they weren't waiting). I had planned for my daughter to take a camera with her but she forgot it  Smiley Smiley and we had to use our phones. Of course her phone was already full with her selfies and whatnot crap Smiley and she had to use my phone instead. Kids... Smiley

--

sfo:
    RC:
    sfo:

Smiley Brexit? Smiley

yes, £ much weaker

Never mind cars, guys. Moisturiser Nivea For Men has gone up to in my local Superdrug, Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Great review, as a porsche enthusiast and a owner of a 991.2 turbo you might have convinced me for the R8 v10.

need your advice if I should take a leap of faith cause in my county there's no test drive available and a new R8 V10 coupe is coming in stock in about a week's time. Need to know if I should make a switch from 991.2 turbo can't really make a connection with the Turbo engine, it's great and all but lacks the drama of a great free revving N/A. Never was an Audi guy but the R8 has me 😍  

RC:

He made complaints about the many (confusing???) setups for the engine/gearbox/ESP. I don't find these setups to be confusing at all and I wish there were even more. Smiley I found his R8 review quite weird. He obviously liked the car a lot but then started complaining about the various driving setups (electronics), something he usually doesn't. Maybe he got off on the wrong foot that day or he was in a bad mood, I don't have a clue.

I think you misunderstood him: in this test he liked the R8 much better than before (this test car came without the special power steering). He liked the engine sound and mostly everything. He just said the car has less precise handling (PSM off) than the turbo and concluded the turbo is the perfect package for every day use Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761501 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434831 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260213 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257364 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80853 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5317 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871669 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806973 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM