Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: S vs. non-S what does your decision mean?

I would consider myself a car guy and I did go with an "S" but not because I'm a car guy but more for economic reasons. By the time I added the PASM, Xenons, etc, to the non "S" I was within "my threshold of pain" striking distance to a comparably equipped "S".

Do I think that .2 sec to 60 makes a big difference? It might on the track where I could potentially achieve a greater speed between corners, but on the street, probably not.

I've not had as much time in my 997 as I had in my M3's but the 997 feels much more composed in general driving and less boy racerish. I am still working on the handling differences between the two but so far it has been a blast. I would have another M3 in an instant (assuming BMW developed a design more appealing than current offerings) but am enjoying the 997 much more right now. IMHO.

Dan

Another reason not to get an S (at least '05) is some people, including Excellence magazine, have reported a troubling PASM related "shudder" mid-turn. Also respected author Chris Harris said a base 997 with PCCB and without PASM was better than his S.

David

I agree with others that this topic is silly. Meaning, it will become one of the most popular and everyone will have something to say! But I think MMD is deliberately trying to "stir things up" here. He's having a good laugh while we are arguing back and forth on this.

Back to the topic. Re. PASM, I believe some owners have said that with the 2 PASM ride settings, "Sport" is too hard, and "Normal" is too soft. Would that place non-PASM, non-S 997, with its purely mechanical and non computer controlled suspension setup, in the perfect middle ground? The one "perfect" setting? A car for "car guy", as MMD would say?? (Not!)

The reasons to me are simple:
    One, budget.
    Two, a "car guy" (kidding, kidding) who doesn't want PASM.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Another reason not to get an S (at least '05) is some people, including Excellence magazine, have reported a troubling PASM related "shudder" mid-turn. Also respected author Chris Harris said a base 997 with PCCB and without PASM was better than his S.

David

Porsche is in the automobile manufacturing business. In order to remain an independent company in todays marketplace they must offer products that appeal to both car people and non-car people. Such is the reality of todays market. If they were to limit their product line they would either (1) be a portion of a much larger company or (2) would not exist. Take your choice!

Quote:
    cannga said:
    But I think MMD is deliberately trying to "stir things up" here. He's having a good laugh while we are arguing back and forth on this.

You can think what you want but that's BS. I'm not that kind of person.

BTW, this thread is very interesting. I just figured everybody would naturally prefer the S version.

As i get older i think to myself how fast is fast enough....

The 3.6 carrera is as fast as my M3 and when i first drove it i thought....wow this is just awesome .....but then i got used to the power and sometimes i crave a bit more.I will probably think this of the carrera also.......

But if i bought the Carrera S i would eventually in time, have the same predicament ..........

so then i'd have to buy the Turbo.......and guess what, eventually it would become the norm and i would become anaesthetised even to the Power of the Turbo.

so where to from there ...........

It is becoming harder to exploit the full potential of this type of car unless you are a track addict and i suppose that even then the percentage ratio of road to track driving is probably in the region of..98pc road - 2pc track .....so why the need for all that power the 3.6 has all the useable power that most people will ever need.

If you are not concerned about having the fastest car on the road that beats the pants off allcomers then the 3.6 offers a balance of power, handling, decent build quality and value for money that is hard to beat.

Buy it,drive it,enjoy it and be thankfull that you can afford to drive even the slowest 911...it's still one of the best on the road ..any road.........

I look at horsepower and performance not just as a measure of the car's ultimate limits, BUT ALSO, a measure of how the car responds and drives in all other conditions and levels of throttle input. More horsepower and torque means more than just what it does with the pedal mashed, it also means the more powerful car will likely be the more satisfying one to squirt around in. After all, if a person NEVER ran a car to it's full potential, would you logically summize that he would never tell the difference between two cars with different levels of grunt? Nonsense, when I drove the 997S for the first time, the moment I pulled out onto the road and eased 1/2 throttle through the 1st two gears, I IMMEDIATELY was pleased by the superior torque and low-end pull from the S. This is something that I enjoy in all driving, not just parsing tenths of seconds in full-throttle sprints.

So, I bought the S for the standard big wheels and wide rear tires (so cool looking from the rear, and I'm a slave to that kind of stuff), the fatter torque, and because if I'm gonna spend that kind of dough, I'm going for the best I can handle. If you're buying a 997, that tells you that you're some level of speed junkie. As such, the S option, with ALL of its content, brakes, wheels, chassis, engine, seemed to be a damn good value.

Basically, ANY car company could plop a performance car in front of me, and then another one with more displacement, torque and h.p. for 10% more money, and they'd have my dough on the hotter model. Extra power and displacement is always worth it, as it amplifies the joy over many years of ownership. I "use" the power of my S every time I let the clutch out.

Well this has been interesting and a bit wierd!

To add to the third category of buyer, only two given by the instigator of this thread, we have noted a few idiocyncrasies of PASM in this web (see these threads): Holy Cow ----- on page 4; Rear Bushings --- (my thread on page 4 with Excellence Ed Pete joining in); and PASM ---track days etc (my thread on page 6). Anyone seriously interested in PASM-handling should read those.

In addition, both Excellence editorial staff, and Autocar (UK) and few items in GT-Purely Porsche, note objective reasons for prefering the handling, ride and steering sensitivity of the '997 with standard suspension and 18in wheels'. So MMD is being either 'cute' or --------

Personally I'll take the 997 I have with PASM + 18in wheels as I explained way back on page 1 of this thread. Even if it does 'corkscrew' a litte (the Brit's explanation for the 'shift' that Excellence notes), and if on some undulatory roads the PASM may get 'confused'. And before anyone argues on that --- read the threads suggested above.

I sometimes wonder how often the owners of Carreras really drive their cars --- and instead merely get satisfaction in KNOWING that their car is fast and quick. Last night, for the first time in 3 weeks the roads were dry, with snow off them, temps of -5C, so we went for an 80km drive on some quiet (fairly) 2-4 lane highways, at 70-120mph, usually in the upper zone, and the car was just gorgeous ----- power, braking, acceleration, ride, the fastest thing on the road, the only limit being some modest concern to avoid any RCMP officers who were bored and looking for red sports cars.

Enjoy whatever Carrera you have --- and which YOU selected for your reasons, multitudinous compared with the mere two that our colleague used to start this 'cute' thread.

Cheers

KiwiCanuck

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Quote:
    chef_jmr said:
    This is silly.

So it's silly...change the channel then, this is the internet-- who cares?? what's silly is that I dropped $95K on a 6-cylinder NA glorified Volkswagen

-Chose S because I would've ordered Xenons, 19" wheels, PASM on a non-S, so i was halfway to the $10K difference already.

-first drive the 997 handling/suspension feel had me addicted. Drove my E46 M3 to dealer for S coupe test drive = S was otherwordly...+ unfortunately there was a fluke system fault message on 997 non-S I tried to test drive...never left dealer parking lot (later turned out to be nothing-- loose gas cap, porter fueled up had put cap on wrong)

-early reports summer 2004 of upcoming 997S new 3.8L 355hp + getting 996TT turbo brakes --got me fixated on S model before first one hit the dealer.

- loping bark of 3.8 engine & (stock)exhaust note--even at idle-- of the S induced adrenaline rush first time I started one.

-me so silly:silver gauges & red calipers look the business...& embarrassed to admit I like the fake aluminum interior bits standard on the S

Damian,

Got to agree with you. I looked at both non-S and S. I definitely wanted to get the Bi-Xenon headlights and the PASM, and that added up to over $3,000. I figured the 19" wheels, the larger brakes from the previous model Turbo, and the larger engine were easily worth another $7,000.

Now waiting for my S to be delivered -production now slated for next week, delivery the first week of February. I hope its not delayed further.

Jim

The only reason I bought an S is so people like MMD wouldn't think I was a wuss.

No really... If you look at all the options that come with an S, it seems well worth it whether you'll track it or not. (I'm not tracking my cab) And who doesn't want more power? I wish mine had more power and I sure as hell would if I had a non S. That's just me. (but most others too) I push the limits of acceleration every time I drive the car... even if it's only half way through 2nd gear.
    Bigger engine = bigger smile!

Yes, bottom line, who doesn't want more power??? It's like being at a brothel, and saying "I'll take that gal over there who isn't quite as cute as that sweetie over there...", as if that's the "purist" thing to do.

KiwiCanuck said:
    Quote:
    I sometimes wonder how often the owners of Carreras really drive their cars --- and instead merely get satisfaction in KNOWING that their car is fast and quick.

Again, I must refer you to my first post. The extra power is realized at ALL throttle levels, during ALL natures and methods of driving. It's not only noticed when the car is being pushed or "really driven". A strong car is a ball to drive at all speeds, and extra torque is a blessing that truly displays itself during every-day driving, as spirited driving usually has the car up in the netherreaches of the tach where low-torque is irrelevant.

I feel like a broken record, but when I first drove the "S", I was pleased that finally there was a naturally aspirated 911 that displayed the kind of response and low-rpm tug that I demand for having fun when driving NORMALLY. Previous 911's (996, 993) were always satisfying to me when being pushed and driven hard, high-up in the tach, but I found them boring and weak for puttering around town, or exiting corners in a higher gear. The 997S fixed that issue with me, at least just enough to pass muster for me.

So enough with the "I wonder if these guys actually DRIVE their cars so that they USE that extra power". I'm feeling the extra gumption before I'm out of my driveway.

I'm in no way trying to diss the standard 997. I'm just trying to relate why my having to have the more powerful "S" has less to due with the moments I get to lay into her on a remote road, and more to do with how she responds and squirts in more normal everyday situations. I'm willing to bet that most other "S" owners are of the same opinion.

A bit hard on us base 997 owners. I've been a "car guy" since I rebuilt the Rochester 4 barrel carb on my mothers "56 Olds at age 16, had 3 or 4 parts left over and the damn thing still ran (after I went to the local Citgo, drank a Pepsi, filled the bottle with gas and primed the beast- walking 3 blocks with gasoline in a Pepsi bottle-the good old days.) So, I read lots of mags, drool a lot over unobtainable cars, and finally buy a Porsche. For my daily driver, local streets, heavily patrolled freeways, the 997 is great. Take it on the back roads, take the curves, love every minute of it. Could I do better with the S? Who knows? I'm 56 and at some point the reflxes are just not what they used to be, so I probably have the right car. The sport-chrono package is a plus. Track- you're right, never will. Porsche knows what they are doing when segmenting the market.

I simply got the S it because I could (just) afford it, wanted max power and the salesman always gave me test drives in the S. Couldn't face going back on what I had already driven. Also from this board the info about the engine always seemed to say that the S was a new engine whereas the non-S was pretty much the same as the 996 (is this true?), but all of the above swung me to the S. Do I regret my decision? Not for a minute. As Bossman says, the low-end pull is addictive. My only regret is not getting -20mm + LSD - it's true that PASM seems to have a bit of tail-wag, but I'm used to it now. I think being on the gas thru the corner helps dial most of it out.

66bossnine,

Whatever makes you happy ----- stop trying to PROVE YOU ARE RIGHT! Right for you is not right for all.

You read my reply and pick on one phrase.

Relax----

KiwiCanuck

Hello 69bossnine,

I was not directing the question to 997S owners ----- but all Carrera owners. You REALLY are over reacting.

There are so many owners worried about resale, which wheel will LOOK best, the car that is 0.2 sec quicker and ignoring other factors.Which may be dominant for some ---

Carreras are about driving the car you choose, for the roads and conditions and needs YOU have. Not on which is the BEST car ---- which we all HAVE to have.

Sigh-----

KiwiC

folsomdoc said:

'A bit hard on us base 997 owners.------'

Yes they (some S owners) are annoying aren't they! All 997 Carreras are excellent, wonderful cars. No matter how you option them ----- Relax!

And when EXCELLENCE and Autocar opine that we 3.6L 997 owners have a truly excellent car, that in SOME ways, SOME ways, is better than the 3.8L S, their ego is smashed and they get mad with us. Amazing -----

Enjoy ---

KiwiCanuck

KiwiC,

You're right - *any* 997 owner shoud be proud.

SoS.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Yes, bottom line, who doesn't want more power??? It's like being at a brothel, and saying "I'll take that gal over there who isn't quite as cute as that sweetie over there...", as if that's the "purist" thing to do.

KiwiCanuck said:
    Quote:
    I sometimes wonder how often the owners of Carreras really drive their cars --- and instead merely get satisfaction in KNOWING that their car is fast and quick.

Again, I must refer you to my first post. The extra power is realized at ALL throttle levels, during ALL natures and methods of driving. It's not only noticed when the car is being pushed or "really driven". A strong car is a ball to drive at all speeds, and extra torque is a blessing that truly displays itself during every-day driving, as spirited driving usually has the car up in the netherreaches of the tach where low-torque is irrelevant.

I feel like a broken record, but when I first drove the "S", I was pleased that finally there was a naturally aspirated 911 that displayed the kind of response and low-rpm tug that I demand for having fun when driving NORMALLY. Previous 911's (996, 993) were always satisfying to me when being pushed and driven hard, high-up in the tach, but I found them boring and weak for puttering around town, or exiting corners in a higher gear. The 997S fixed that issue with me, at least just enough to pass muster for me.

So enough with the "I wonder if these guys actually DRIVE their cars so that they USE that extra power". I'm feeling the extra gumption before I'm out of my driveway.

I'm in no way trying to diss the standard 997. I'm just trying to relate why my having to have the more powerful "S" has less to due with the moments I get to lay into her on a remote road, and more to do with how she responds and squirts in more normal everyday situations. I'm willing to bet that most other "S" owners are of the same opinion.

Your comments about the "S" version are quite insightful. Have you ever driven the 997S with the power kit? Just curious to hear your thoughts if you have. Thanks.

Do you have a pic of your car? I want to see the wheels. I also ordered the 997 non-s for the same reasons. I did not go for the PASM. Does it give you more confort in the normal mode than one without PASM at all?

Quote:
    GA997S said:

Bigger engine = bigger smile!

LOL! Yeah, I'll take 600 HP in my 997SSS and call my face a total loss being wrecked by permagrin.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

So enough with the "I wonder if these guys actually DRIVE their cars so that they USE that extra power".

Yeah, what he said.

Here's MY proof. Passing a redneck guy in a pickup, calculating my broken-line and distance and speed (curvey rural highway). Pr*ck speeds up as I pass him. I tromp on my accelerator and the car takes off (even more) and the situation is terminated.

My point: if the HP is there you WILL use it.

MMD,

A senior (he's broaching 70) plastic surgery colleague of mine, a contemporary and friend of my father (also a physician-now retired-BTW, my father's favorite car was a Renault 17Gordini-France provided it to him as a "gift" as he was wounded in World War II-stepped on a "Bouncing Betty" landmine in the town of Bitche in 1944-fortunately, an on-the-ball surgeon saved his legs from amputation-he can still drive a stickshift even though he can't dorsiflex his right ankle!), happens like me to also be a Porsche-nut. He just traded in his Boxster for a 997S-sans Sport Chrono-so you are not alone. When he was my age (41), he took his 911 (late 1970's, don't know the exact model) to Watkins Glen on a "club" day and flipped it-hit the top of his head on the roof on rollover, had a little neck pain the next day, walked up to my father's office where they both practiced at the time, they x-rayed his C-spine, and lo and behold, an odontoid fracture-he wore a hard neck immobilizer for weeks, and was lucky he wasn't dead-or paraplegic. He no longer tracks his cars, but still loves to drive them spiritedly. He is also an eminently respectable and top-level plastic surgeon with still a sharp mind and steady hand-but my father and I still "needle" him about his "mishap" at the Glen in his first 911.

Scary. Yeah. I get it. Lemme reassure you I'm not driving like a time bomb. Haven't had a ticket in about 20 years (no kidding) never had an accident which was my fault. Got slammed and broke my wrist by a kid running a stopsign about 10 years ago (totaled car) and THAT made a big impression on me too. Can still hear the sound of buckling metal in like it's in slow motion.

Quote:
    KiwiCanuck said:
    their ego is smashed and they get mad with us. Amazing -----KiwiCanuck

I've lived without GPS Navigation for 40 years but I ordered it and use it for about 5% of my trips. I can certainly find my way around without it but I thought It would be nice to have. It is. I don't regret spending $2000 on this option for limited use. Did everyone get Navigation? NO. Much fewer will get the Power Kit. You want 30 more HP for $14K? I don't have X51 but I still have an awesome car. You don't have an "S" but you still have an awesome car.

I didn't get the S for the 0.2 sec advantage to 60 mph. I got it for the difference in feel and thought the package was a bargain compared to almost every other option. My philosophy when ordering: If I'll want it 1% of the time I'll consider it; If I'll need it 1% of the time I'll get it. I once had a 2WD truck and got stuck off road. Never again.

Lets enjoy the ride!

Gary

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Quote:
    KiwiCanuck said:
    their ego is smashed and they get mad with us. Amazing -----KiwiCanuck

I've lived without GPS Navigation for 40 years but I ordered it and use it for about 5% of my trips. I can certainly find my way around without it but I thought It would be nice to have. It is. I don't regret spending $2000 on this option for limited use. Did everyone get Navigation? NO. Much fewer will get the Power Kit. You want 30 more HP for $14K? I don't have X51 but I still have an awesome car. You don't have an "S" but you still have an awesome car.

I didn't get the S for the 0.2 sec advantage to 60 mph. I got it for the difference in feel and thought the package was a bargain compared to almost every other option. My philosophy when ordering: If I'll want it 1% of the time I'll consider it; If I'll need it 1% of the time I'll get it. I once had a 2WD truck and got stuck off road. Never again.

Lets enjoy the ride!

Gary

I have NAV in my car and have had it in others cars as well. To me it is well worth the money. This is one option that will be on every car I buy from now on.

Quote:
    KiwiCanuck said:
    Carreras are about driving the car you choose, for the roads and conditions and needs YOU have. Not on which is the BEST car ---- which we all HAVE to have.

Sigh-----

KiwiC

Huh?????? And I'm trying to figure out which roads and conditions would be appropriate for 325 h.p., but less appropriate for 355 h.p.. Hmmmm, gonna have to ponder that.

I'm all about everybody getting what they want, for their own reasons. I would direct everyone back to folsomdoc's post, as it's the most honest and lucid and non-nonsense explanation for the non-S decision I've seen. It's nice to see somebody who's comfortable and confident in their decision, rather than insecurely taking aim at 997S owners. If anybody finds their car to be their mix of performance and value, then say it. Don't be afraid to say you didn't want to spend the dough, because I'm not afraid to say that I left things off my car when the price started intimidating me. It's all good.

For instance, I could say that I'm not ordering a Turbo because I wouldn't really "use" the horsepower, and that my S is almost as fast such that I wouldn't really notice, or use it, and that my "S" is more "pure", and blah blah blah.. But that would just be me making crap up to wallpaper over the real truth.... I'd love a Turbo, but my wife would kill me, and the check would hurt too much. And I do prefer RWD, and I prefer the cleaner styling. That's it, simple.

Furthermore, I don't want a GT3 because I'm not hardcore enough to live with it. Call me a wimp, I can take it!!

Everybody's got their mix of priorities. I just start gagging when the poetic waxing starts up, like some of the magazines, evoking shades of nuances of nonsense, when we're talking cars, not cuisine.

I believe that you're overreacting by saying I'm overreacting. I'll stop typing now, at the risk of overreacting to your overreaction to my purported overreacting....

Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Your comments about the "S" version are quite insightful. Have you ever driven the 997S with the power kit? Just curious to hear your thoughts if you have. Thanks.

No, I have not had that opportunity, but I'm dying to try one out. No, actually, maybe not, because if it's the cat's pajamas, and really wakes the car up more than my 355hp S, it'll just upset me!! Sometimes it's better to not know what you missed! The X51 wasn't available when I ordered my car, and I don't know if I would have ponied the dough for that option if it had been.

I'll have to wait for my next "P" purchase to step up to more power again, unless Iran nukes Israel, Israel nukes the entire Middle-East, and we all have to start driving golf carts and riding bikes...

More thoughts

I got my S on the basis of 3 things: more torque for better daily driving, better brakes for those "Oh sh*t!" moments, and the visceral quality that the Helmholtz resonator brings to driving the car. Do I use 6000 rpm - 7200 rpm on a regular basis? No. It's not always about performance...

Re: More thoughts

So what are we saying here .........??

That the 3.6 is crap.........i don't think so...

The brakes are fine porsche don't do bad stoppers.....

The power is fine or it was until the C2S appeared....

On any given road bar a straight one it would take a well driven C2S to leave the 3.6 trailing and embarrassed......

Everyone makes a decision based on budget and personal preferences ........life would be sooooo boring if we were all the same and thought the same........

Re: More thoughts

Quote:
    taffy said:
    So what are we saying here .........??

That the 3.6 is crap

If that's what you want to read into it that's up to you, but it wasn't what I said.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779982 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442384 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263185 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261500 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85706 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5848 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881217 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818126 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM