Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide - Europe - UK Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Cayman GT4 RS

Either way where the hell is this GT4 🤣🤣

jamesdamanuk1:

Either way where the hell is this GT4 🤣🤣

Here... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

It is worth keeping in mind that the new Porsche Cayman GT4 / RS is being developed alongside a new Cayman GT4 Clubsport racer, as confirmed by Dr Frank-Steffen Walliser...

"Porsche Is Working on a New Cayman GT4 Clubsport"

It should make its competition debut next year, not long after the new 718 Cayman GT4 street car is unveiled.

Thanks to photos sent our way last year, we know Porsche is working on a new 718 Cayman GT4. Sportscar365 reports that a new Cayman GT4 Clubsport race car should follow shortly after. That bit of information comes from Dr Frank-Steffen Walliser, the head of Porsche Motorsport, who spoke with Sportscar 365 at the Rolex 24 at Daytona last month.

Dr Walliser said that Porsche is working to make the Cayman GT4 Clubsport even easier to drive than before, reflecting its aim at attracting less-experienced drivers. There are other improvements he's got his eyes on too.

"We’re looking to improve everything, including a little bit of engine power and we’ll add a little bit more downforce, depending on what the street car will bring," Walliser said.

The next Cayman GT4 street car is rumored to get a version of Porsche Motorsport's new 4.0-liter flat-six, an engine used in the new 911 GT3 and the 911 RSR race car. We'd guess that the next Cayman GT4 Clubsport would pair this engine to a PDK gearbox too, just like its predecessor.

Dr Walliser confirmed to Sportscar365 that Porsche would continue to sell two versions of the Cayman GT4 Clubsport—one for track days, and one homologated for racing. But unlike before, production probably won't be limited to 400 units.

"We did not really cover the demand worldwide [with the original car]," Dr. Walliser said. "It was a new category and we see a huge demand now around the world, in the Clubsport series and also in emerging motorsports markets like China and Thailand."

The next Cayman GT4 Clubsport will likely make its competition debut early next year, but test races later this year are possible too. That means we'll probably see the 718 Cayman GT4 street car before year's end. We're fairly certain we won't see it in Geneva next month, but perhaps the 718 Cayman GT4 will make its debut a few months later.

Link: http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a16671704/2019-porsche-cayman-gt4-clubsport-race-car/

Smiley

That is true

Look at the Clubsport and Road Version testing in Portugal, a couple of weeks ago

Photos by Fernando Machado

That Cayman GT4 RS looks great! Smiley

1521488780780image.jpeg

The GT4 ClubSport is already easy to drive at least the MR version, I don't think they can make it any easier than now.

The original ClubSport's suspension was screwed up, strung way too stiff and it threaten to kill the driver on every bump. Hence they released the MR version to rectify their mistake.

But not sure how they can do 2 versions now, one for track day and one for racing. Out of the box, the ClubSport is already built to GT4 spec and can race already. But whatever race equipment that's on the car is already at the bare minimum, and they are also good for track days too like fire extinguishers and full cage and fuel cells.

I wonder if he mean doing metal hood doors and enders for the 'track' car and carbon bits for the 'race' car.

--

I presume the stiff setup was meant to limit suspension travel (and thus unwanted alignment changes in a strut suspension car), but that also means weight transfer happens faster, which is probably tricky in a car with a low polar movement of inertia.

In theory, the "track day" version could have more go fast options, since there are no rules to worry about.  I agree this seems unnecessary, but maybe this strategy is another source of profit for Porsche.

Whoopsy:

The GT4 ClubSport is already easy to drive at least the MR version, I don't think they can make it any easier than now.

I can't remember which 70's porsche racer it was that told me during the first RennSport reunion but it will always stay with me; "I don't understand why these new cars are sprung so hard. Sh!t's soft and it's sticky." Smiley

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

A stripped out but road legal version for trackdays would be awesome kiss

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Not just stiff, but also unadjustable. So pretty much all the race teams that got their hands on a early car swapped everything out anyway.

Porsche/Manthey tuned it after and released the MR version, with 2-way adjustable shocks and sorting spring rate, softer adjustable roll bars. 

As for new cars getting sprung so hard, the point was to preserve the 'Venturi' tunnel under the car for downforce. But it also makes the car on a knife's edge, only the best of the best can handle such a touchy mid engine car. Softer car gets more weight transfer and enhances mechanical tire grip, but the trade off is less aero grip. Modern cars rely more on aero grip so the trend is for harder and harder springs. The ClubSport, the way I drive it, prefer softer everywhere. I needed some extra feedback from the car on what the chassis is doing. But on a Cup car, I don't mind the harder setup, I am used to the car's tendency so feels fine for me even with the Manthey setup, it reacts better with just throttle input on the weight transfer, and trail braking helps a lot to rotate the Cup car. If I use the same trail braking in the ClubSport, I would have spun the car every corner.

--

718 Cayman 9A2 2.5l H4 - 390PS, 385BHP, 7750RPM, 450Nm, 332 ftl

F3E378D6-AF89-47F4-82CE-9B628CD05846.jpeg

That is the same BHP as the last one :-/

30Nm more torque

--

White 991.2 GT3, production week 10

Not really that impressive if true exact same bhp and 30Nm more is very disappointing. Needs to be over 400bhp and 100Nm. Sod this i may just buy the Lotus Exige 430cup

btw is this chart even showing the GT4? Smiley

If you look closer, you'll see that there are only three 718 Caymans listed. That could very well be the current Cayman, Cayman S and Cayman GTS line. Power outputs are a bit high, but they are surely Dyno runs. 

Here's a comparison of the official numbers vs the numbers from the chart. Note that even the displacements match:

Cayman 2.0L 300 vs 315

Cayman S 2.5L 350 vs 365

Cayman GTS 2.5L 365 vs 385

--

White 991.2 GT3, production week 10

Gauss:

If you look closer, you'll see that there are only three 718 Caymans listed. That could very well be the current Cayman, Cayman S and Cayman GTS line. Power outputs are a bit high, but they are surely Dyno runs. 

Here's a comparison of the official numbers vs the numbers from the chart. Note that even the displacements match:

Cayman 2.0L 300 vs 315

Cayman S 2.5L 350 vs 365

Spot on. These readings are for 718 Cayman, Cayman S and GTS. Might give a hint as to the next face-lift numbers! Smiley

The new Cayman GT4, as we have heard many times from Porsche, will have a Flat-Six engine. Indeed, now the Cayman is established as part of the Porsche Motorsport business, we are assured of a motorsport-derived engine! Smiley

1521488894429image.jpeg

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    Gauss:

Cayman 2.0L 300 vs 315

Cayman S 2.5L 350 vs 365

Spot on. These readings are for 718 Cayman, Cayman S and GTS. Might give a hint as to the next face-lift numbers! Smiley

The new Cayman GT4, as we have heard many times from Porsche, will have a Flat-Six engine. Indeed, now the Cayman is established as part of the Porsche Motorsport business, we are assured of a motorsport-derived engine! Smiley

1521488894429image.jpeg

I would not bet on this Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 arriving, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Its an old picture, note that the 991.2 GT3RS engine isn't on there just the GT3. The GT2RS engine is shown at 650 which was the original plan before it got bumped to 700.

Another unofficial test mule for the Cayman GT4 RS 4.0... Smiley

"Is this the most extreme Porsche Cayman in the world?" (Top Gear)

(6 April 2018)

The most extreme Porsche Cayman to come through official channels was the delicious GT4. With a 3.8-litre flat-six lifted from the 911 Carrera S (producing 380bhp at 7,400rpm) it was the most potent Cayman ever. This mid-mounted engine was fused to a six-speed manual, and only a six-speed manual, plus dynamic gearbox mounts and suspension bits from the GT3. It was the Cayman to rule them all. Actually, it might be the Porsche to rule them all.

Though Porsche had to tread with caution. For years, the German brand stymied the performance of the Cayman to prevent it trampling on the toes of big-brother 911. What, you might reasonably wonder, would happen if you properly let the young pup off the leash? We suspect something like the car above: M’s Machine Works’ bonkers Cayman GT3.

It’s the work of Takayuki Mizumoto, a Japanese motorsport engineer who lives to cut tenths from a lap time – no matter how mad the process. His day job is running M’s Machine Works, a firm that designs, builds and manufactures bespoke components for the mad Super GT race series, the fastest race series in the world for road-going cars. How fast is fast? Put it this way, Maserati tried to enter its MC12 racing car a few years back into Super GT500 but it was deemed too slow (by almost a second a lap, entirely down to aerodynamics in corners).

Mizumoto-san’s Cayman isn’t work, though. It’s play. Loving racing as much as he does, he got a 987 Cayman S then went to town on it to make it utterly dominant around Japan’s racetracks as well as being fully road-legal. Talk about a busman’s holiday.

First up, its engine. And what an engine: a 3.8-litre lump from a 997 911 Cup car complete with carbon goodies good for 450bhp (as well as being quite the treat for your ears). Mounted mid-ship. Yep, Takayuki Mizumoto beat the Porsche factory team to putting this engine in-between the wheels. Then there’s its face, which might look quite familiar. Largely because it’s a transplant from a 997 GT3, complete with a bespoke carbon splitter, dive planes and a new flat floor. To change the track widths and add more aero, there are those silly-wide arches you could hide in and that rear wing. It’s one of the most stupendous aerodynamic appendages we’ve ever seen on a road car and straight from the GT500 parts catalogue. Downforce? It’s got it alright.

The whole car reeks of motorsport. It’s completely stripped out with a welded in roll cage, a carbon steering wheel fit for Le Mans, built-in air jack system, polycarbonate rear, side and door windows, FRP front bonnet, boot and doors. Standing on the scales it’s 100kg lighter than a GT4, which was already a stripped-out Cayman. A Motec ECU is the car’s new brain while a six-speed manual transmission remains. But there’s a trick slippy diff, proper posh custom suspension set up and super sticky Advan rubber wrapped around Volk racing centre lock wheels.

“We have been running Porsches from back in the air cooling days,” Mizumoto-san says. “We have also participated in numerous races. Without limiting ourselves as a privateer, when we needed parts of high accuracy we made them with our own hands.”

It’s the personal touches we like. Obsessed with golf and Nike’s famous swooshy branding, Mizumoto-san decided to cover the car and various parts using the tick from your favourite trainers. Then there’s the space between the A and B-pillar, now a mantelpiece to publish the car’s lap records. And there’s a few of them. Take for instance Tsukuba. The plucky Cayman managed a 58.070 with Isao Ihashi at the wheel. For reference, an R35 GT-R Nismo lapped the same track in 1:00.29 and the Cayman’s bigger 991 GT3 RS brother managed a 1:00.70.

But this is just the beginning, as Mizumoto-san is planning on making an identical Cayman, just with a twin-turbo GT2 engine instead. Yikes.

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/weird/most-extreme-porsche-cayman-world

Smiley

No word on the GT4RS yet, they still haven't decided.

GT4 will have 4.0 GT3 engine detuned. Possibly between 425-450HP. GT3 manual gearbox included.

Spotty internet access here in Africa right now sorry.

--

Whoopsy:

GT4 will have 4.0 GT3 engine detuned. Possibly between 425-450HP. GT3 manual gearbox included.

So they finally decided? Was about time.  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

They have decided for a while, but it's also been a long while since I last chatted with them.

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

They have decided for a while, but it's also been a long while since I last chatted with them.

Now if you just could get out of them if the 960 is coming or not...because right now, I put my "money" on something else but I would love to stick with Porsche. Smiley

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

Now if you just could get out of them if the 960 is coming or not...because right now, I put my "money" on something else but I would love to stick with Porsche. Smiley

where are you putting your money? not into RM i hope:::))))

Whoopsy:

so nomPDK on the GT4?

whereabout in africa if i may ask....

Whoopsy:

wow, substantial upgrade to put a 4.0L into a Cayman and massive difference with the current line of products.

it will be close or seriously too closed to a GT3 on a track. something is wrong here. Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Why would that be wrong? Everybody knows that mid-engine architectures are better for performance (I think this has been known since the 50's).

I can think of two things that have been wrong: a) not having a mid-engine 911 (so a high performance cayman with the 911 roofline; b) a notchback Cayman.

the-missile:
    it will be close or seriously too closed to a GT3 on a track. something is wrong here. Smiley

Nothing wrong here.  By the time the GT4 is released, the GT3 will be totally or nearly out of production (and the GT3 RS should have nothing to fear)...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    the-missile:

Nothing wrong here.  By the time the GT4 is released, the GT3 will be totally or nearly out of production (and the GT3 RS should have nothing to fear)...

I see a massive price bump if the 4.0L shows up...

it will be compared to the GT3 and it will show that it is very close and it gives me the feeling that the GT3 could disappear for ever after that. Smiley

Cayman will never overtake the GT3 in any possible way. this is against the image of Porsche so it could make it disappear and left the little Cayman as NA Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763411 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435898 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260792 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257760 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81236 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872784 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808258 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM