Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sport Car International compare the Boxster S with SLK55AMG

the their conclusion was quite a surprise. They went into the test believing the S will wipe the floor with the SLK. However after several test they determined that the SLK was better in every way. Clearly straight line performance was in favor of the SLK but when it came to handling and overalll road performance the SLK was the clear winner.

So surprised were the tester they took the S in for a check up and were told that the car was out of alignment and required a brake adjustment. They drove the S again after all the adjustments and still determined that the SLK was the better car.

Maybe MB is getting its act together. Sorry RC, you may want to reconsider your S purchase.

BTW the also tested the 997 Cab and loved it.

Re: Sport Car International compare the Boxster S with SLK55AMG

What??? I"m sorry but the SLK 55 cannot be better at handling? Proabably not breaking either. Its just agianst the laws of pysics. I would have to read the article. Maybe mercedes had a little bit of influence. Maybe they gave it to mercedes to proof read and add a few touches. huh.....

What??? I"m sorry but the SLK 55 cannot be better at handling? Proabably not breaking either. Its just agianst the laws of pysics. I would have to read the article. Maybe mercedes had a little bit of influence. Maybe they gave it to mercedes to proof read and add a few touches. huh.....

Re: Power is godlike on a track

So funny!

I am sure the Boxster had later braking points in the curves and was faster thru the curves, but on the straightaway, the SLK55 has rocket like thrust while the Boxster S is almost Flinstone car like in comparison.

Which is pretty much like how the new Corvette Z06 will
    leave F430 owners gasping for air if they ever dare to
    track one against the new Chevy.

So funny!

I am sure the Boxster had later braking points in the curves and was faster thru the curves, but on the straightaway, the SLK55 has rocket like thrust while the Boxster S is almost Flinstone car like in comparison.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    So funny!

Apparently, your disdain for nberry has clouded your sense of good judgement. While the Z06 has a bit more power and torque equal to a locomotive, it doesn't out accelerate the f430 according to the numbers given by chief engineer Dave Hill. And given the Z06 is front-engined, while the F430 has a more balanced mid-engine, it's very doubtful.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    So funny!

Apparently, your disdain for nberry has clouded your sense of good judgement. While the Z06 has a bit more power and torque equal to a locomotive, it doesn't out accelerate the f430 according to the numbers given by chief engineer Dave Hill. And given the Z06 is front-engined, while the F430 has a more balanced mid-engine, it's very doubtful.

Wait a sec, doesnt the Corvette have 505hp? and weigh 3100lbs? If the F430 has 400hp and weighs the same how could it keep up in a straight line.

I dont disdain nberry, I like his provacative, yet
    entertaining posts. He keeps getting more skilled
    at left handed reviews, its amazing!

Wait a sec, doesnt the Corvette have 505hp? and weigh 3100lbs? If the F430 has 400hp and weighs the same how could it keep up in a straight line.

I dont disdain nberry, I like his provacative, yet
    entertaining posts. He keeps getting more skilled
    at left handed reviews, its amazing!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

F430 has 490hp.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

F430 has 490hp.

the f430 has 483 horsepower, though a bit less torque than the Z06.

Then Im wrong! Thats a lot of ponies !

Then Im wrong! Thats a lot of ponies !

Quote:
    dsts6 said:

svtrader1 was probably refering to 490PS (metric horsepower) which is the F430's official rating as it is a European car.

Quote:
    dsts6 said:

svtrader1 was probably refering to 490PS (metric horsepower) which is the F430's official rating as it is a European car.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    the their conclusion was quite a surprise. They went into the test believing the S will wipe the floor with the SLK. However after several test they determined that the SLK was better in every way. Clearly straight line performance was in favor of the SLK but when it came to handling and overalll road performance the SLK was the clear winner.

So surprised were the tester they took the S in for a check up and were told that the car was out of alignment and required a brake adjustment. They drove the S again after all the adjustments and still determined that the SLK was the better car.

Maybe MB is getting its act together. Sorry RC, you may want to reconsider your S purchase.

I drove both, the SLK 55 AMG and the Boxster S and although the SLK 55 AMG has a much better straight line performance, engine/exhaust sound is absolutely great and the automatic tranny is a treat, the SLK 55 AMG is even inferior to the SLK 32 AMG regarding handling capabilities. I really don't understand how these guys from SCI could claim something different. Or speaking about traction, the ESP came on all the time when driving hard, to be fast in the SLK 55 AMG you have to turn it off. And due to the heavy engine and the light rear, it is no fun at all. Unless you like heavy understeer followed by a sudden and nasty oversteer.

But I guess you drove them both too, so no need to tell you.

The Boxster S is the best choice for handling and fun on twisty roads. The traction is absolutely flawless.
    The SLK 55 AMG is more of a "do-it-all" car, it provides a lot of fun but it can't really satisfy a very sporty driver because once the traction and the numb steering get in your way, you won't be satisfied.
    The only thing I agree with is that the Boxster S hasn't enough power, a sin which Porsche will have to pay for sooner or later. They can't ignore the markets completely and most people, including some car magazine journalists, prefer brutal power over slick handling and traction.

And finally, the Boxster S has won almost all comparison tests so far, so I really don't care.
    BTW: the Boxster S is my wife's car.

Quote:
    nberry said:

I drove both, the SLK 55 AMG and the Boxster S and although the SLK 55 AMG has a much better straight line performance, engine/exhaust sound is absolutely great and the automatic tranny is a treat, the SLK 55 AMG is even inferior to the SLK 32 AMG regarding handling capabilities. I really don't understand how these guys from SCI could claim something different. Or speaking about traction, the ESP came on all the time when driving hard, to be fast in the SLK 55 AMG you have to turn it off. And due to the heavy engine and the light rear, it is no fun at all. Unless you like heavy understeer followed by a sudden and nasty oversteer.

The Boxster S is the best choice for handling and fun on twisty roads. The traction is absolutely flawless.
    The SLK 55 AMG is more of a "do-it-all" car, it provides a lot of fun but it can't really satisfy a very sporty driver because once the traction and the numb steering get in your way, you won't be satisfied.
    The only thing I agree with is that the Boxster S hasn't enough power, a sin which Porsche will have to pay for sooner or later. They can't ignore the markets completely and most people, including some car magazine journalists, prefer brutal power over slick handling and traction.

And finally, the Boxster S has won almost all comparison tests so far, so I really don't care.

u know why?
    slk55amg vs 986 boxster s that is why

u know why?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

As an owner of an E55k AMG, I have to agree with you RC 100%. AMG may know alot about power & acceleration, but when it comes to handling & steering, a lot is left to be desired.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

As an owner of an E55k AMG, I have to agree with you RC 100%. AMG may know alot about power & acceleration, but when it comes to handling & steering, a lot is left to be desired.

I still think a 986 boxster should be better handler than slk55amg, perhaps easily

I still think a 986 boxster should be better handler than slk55amg, perhaps easily

I think this comparison test doesn't make any sense at all.... I still remember in one of the 5th-gear show, when comparing SLK55 and SL55, the lady didn't give any credits to both cars and she even believed that both handlings very bad so that she could have more fun by just walking on the track than driving any of these AMGs.... In real world, after driving the E55 and SLK350, I really can't agree on this test....

I think this comparison test doesn't make any sense at all.... I still remember in one of the 5th-gear show, when comparing SLK55 and SL55, the lady didn't give any credits to both cars and she even believed that both handlings very bad so that she could have more fun by just walking on the track than driving any of these AMGs.... In real world, after driving the E55 and SLK350, I really can't agree on this test....

Quote:
    bazza said:
    u know why?

Are you telling us that Nick tried to "sell" us a report comparing a current SLK55 AMG and the "old" Boxster S?

That would be just like Nick!

Quote:
    bazza said:
    u know why?

Are you telling us that Nick tried to "sell" us a report comparing a current SLK55 AMG and the "old" Boxster S?

That would be just like Nick!

Quote:
    deedee said:
    I think this comparison test doesn't make any sense at all.... I still remember in one of the 5th-gear show, when comparing SLK55 and SL55, the lady didn't give any credits to both cars ....

The lady?

Do you mean Vicky Butler-Henderson?

I think this is one of those occasions where Mike Valentine needs to jump in with one of the photos from his collection.

Are you out there, Mike?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763378 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435869 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260780 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257752 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81236 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872754 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808244 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM