Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: slr engine in slk "55 amg"!!!

what are you opinions on it ha? is it the normal 5.5 v8 with just the a cover that says "SLR" on it?

what are you opinions on it ha? is it the normal 5.5 v8 with just the a cover that says "SLR" on it?

Quote:
    Mike S said:

The engine looks like it was made for the SLK, it fits so nicely, cannot be the 5.5 V8??

Quote:
    Mike S said:

The engine looks like it was made for the SLK, it fits so nicely, cannot be the 5.5 V8??

Quote:
    Mike S said:

Definitely not the n/a 5.5L that comes originally on the SLK 55 AMG.

However, I'm not so sure if its the supercharged 5.5 thats on the S, SL, CL, ans E 55s or the one that comes standard on the SLR which is slightly moded.

Knowing the owner nothing really surprises me. He has done more crazy modifications in the past to his endless fleet of cars.

Quote:
    Mike S said:

Definitely not the n/a 5.5L that comes originally on the SLK 55 AMG.

However, I'm not so sure if its the supercharged 5.5 thats on the S, SL, CL, ans E 55s or the one that comes standard on the SLR which is slightly moded.

Knowing the owner nothing really surprises me. He has done more crazy modifications in the past to his endless fleet of cars.

well true, it does kinda remind me of our SL's engine, look especially at the middle part...

well true, it does kinda remind me of our SL's engine, look especially at the middle part...

This is really strange. Now it is clear that this is real but I still can't imagine how he put this engine inside the SLK.
    I saw a picture of the SLR engine and the whole drivetrain (gearbox, etc.) and there is NO way how it could fit the SLK.
    It is 100% sure that this is a supercharged V8 engine but I still have my doubts it is the REAL SLR engine.
    I wish somebody would have made a picture from beneath the car.

This is really strange. Now it is clear that this is real but I still can't imagine how he put this engine inside the SLK.
    I saw a picture of the SLR engine and the whole drivetrain (gearbox, etc.) and there is NO way how it could fit the SLK.
    It is 100% sure that this is a supercharged V8 engine but I still have my doubts it is the REAL SLR engine.
    I wish somebody would have made a picture from beneath the car.

SLK 55 V8K, you'd better believe it!

From GCF.com Thw technician who built it!

"There will indeed be a video soon, it is simply a matter of priorities.

The transmission is indeed a 7 speed, modified to survive happily to 1200Nm.

The Engine is an SLR unit, the 55 series engines are virtually identical in exterior appearance, internal components vary to suit requirements.
    The engine fitted is pure SLR with one exception. The SLK flexplate and SLR crankshaft run different bolt patterns, so the crankshaft fitted to this engine is a prototype that has now gone into production for various models.
    The SLR Kompressor configuration is unique. The black units on top of the engine are water cooled intercooler assemblies, no air filters as somebody advised earlier.

As anyone will know who has driven an SLR hard in high ambient temperatures, the SLR intercooler water system is not capable of an adequately cool water supply and performance suffers because of it, so a large amount of the installation and design of this project was dedicated to intercooler temperature control.

We have used a full sized E55 engine radiator with hand fabricated end tanks and placed it in front of the air conditioning condensor. A 10 litre water catch / swirl tank supplys cooled water to the 2 AMG intercooler water pumps and these pump water through the intercoolers and back to the intercooler radiator.
    Intercooler water temps have never risen more than 12 degrees over ambient.

The airbox is now mounted above the battery for 2 reasons, The highest air pressure point on the vehicle is at the base of the windscreen and it also happens to be a good source of the coolest air possible.

The SLR engine sump is larger than the SLK and runs a slightly different layout configuration, hence the need to change the front anti roll bar. We fabricated and adjustable chrome moly unit which is clearly visible on the under car shots.

The SLK and SLR Motronic control units and wiring are very different in CAN addressing and pinouts, for this reason an E55 engine ECU and wiring loom was used and reprogrammed to suit. E throttle control, ESP, Engine fan control, injector sizing, ignition and fuel tables plus much more.

The exhaust modifications visible in the pictures were a temporary fix to establish noise levels prior to exhaust system development, this has now been updated and as anyone who has heard the car in anger will tell you, the sound is breathtaking. The only way I can truely explain it is every time I hear it, I am reminded of a summers evening in Pamona several years ago, watching Pro Stock qualifying.

I honestly hope it comes through clearly on the video.

Our ambient air temperature during summer can exceed 50deg C, this is the reason for the summer bonnet, during winter the covered bonnet will be fitted.
    Anytime under bonnet temperatures can be decreased, power will increase.

Speaking of power, I beleive the standard SLR engine is rated at 625hp?
    Please be assured that with our 98 premium octane, an intercooler system that exceeds requirements, additional supercharger pressure via drive upgrades and some serious dyno time, the SLR engine is capable of well more than this consistantly.
    Power in this car? Adequate!

Additional weight over the front wheels is approximately half the weight of a passenger, weight balance is unchanged as the SLR engine and SLK engine sit in the same position.
    The front and rear suspension have been changed with uprated springs and shocks in the rear to better control the squat this power level produces and of course the front shocks needed changing because as one might expect, the front wheels almost lift under hard acceleration.

Why an SLR engine?

Simple, the completed car is a quarter the cost of an SLR, its faster than an SLR because its approx 400Kg lighter, and the car is relatively inconspicuous.

A personalised SLR has been ordered and will arrive when finished, but sometimes its good not to wave a huge flag.

This car has something that the majority of engine transplants do not.
    It can, will and has been parked outside the front door of the Royal Palace and acknowledged with a smile that it matches the style synonomous with the name
    Mohammed Ben Sulayem."

http://germancarfans.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=15241&page=3

Scroll down for more pics...

SLK 55 V8K, you'd better believe it!

From GCF.com Thw technician who built it!

"There will indeed be a video soon, it is simply a matter of priorities.

The transmission is indeed a 7 speed, modified to survive happily to 1200Nm.

The Engine is an SLR unit, the 55 series engines are virtually identical in exterior appearance, internal components vary to suit requirements.
    The engine fitted is pure SLR with one exception. The SLK flexplate and SLR crankshaft run different bolt patterns, so the crankshaft fitted to this engine is a prototype that has now gone into production for various models.
    The SLR Kompressor configuration is unique. The black units on top of the engine are water cooled intercooler assemblies, no air filters as somebody advised earlier.

As anyone will know who has driven an SLR hard in high ambient temperatures, the SLR intercooler water system is not capable of an adequately cool water supply and performance suffers because of it, so a large amount of the installation and design of this project was dedicated to intercooler temperature control.

We have used a full sized E55 engine radiator with hand fabricated end tanks and placed it in front of the air conditioning condensor. A 10 litre water catch / swirl tank supplys cooled water to the 2 AMG intercooler water pumps and these pump water through the intercoolers and back to the intercooler radiator.
    Intercooler water temps have never risen more than 12 degrees over ambient.

The airbox is now mounted above the battery for 2 reasons, The highest air pressure point on the vehicle is at the base of the windscreen and it also happens to be a good source of the coolest air possible.

The SLR engine sump is larger than the SLK and runs a slightly different layout configuration, hence the need to change the front anti roll bar. We fabricated and adjustable chrome moly unit which is clearly visible on the under car shots.

The SLK and SLR Motronic control units and wiring are very different in CAN addressing and pinouts, for this reason an E55 engine ECU and wiring loom was used and reprogrammed to suit. E throttle control, ESP, Engine fan control, injector sizing, ignition and fuel tables plus much more.

The exhaust modifications visible in the pictures were a temporary fix to establish noise levels prior to exhaust system development, this has now been updated and as anyone who has heard the car in anger will tell you, the sound is breathtaking. The only way I can truely explain it is every time I hear it, I am reminded of a summers evening in Pamona several years ago, watching Pro Stock qualifying.

I honestly hope it comes through clearly on the video.

Our ambient air temperature during summer can exceed 50deg C, this is the reason for the summer bonnet, during winter the covered bonnet will be fitted.
    Anytime under bonnet temperatures can be decreased, power will increase.

Speaking of power, I beleive the standard SLR engine is rated at 625hp?
    Please be assured that with our 98 premium octane, an intercooler system that exceeds requirements, additional supercharger pressure via drive upgrades and some serious dyno time, the SLR engine is capable of well more than this consistantly.
    Power in this car? Adequate!

Additional weight over the front wheels is approximately half the weight of a passenger, weight balance is unchanged as the SLR engine and SLK engine sit in the same position.
    The front and rear suspension have been changed with uprated springs and shocks in the rear to better control the squat this power level produces and of course the front shocks needed changing because as one might expect, the front wheels almost lift under hard acceleration.

Why an SLR engine?

Simple, the completed car is a quarter the cost of an SLR, its faster than an SLR because its approx 400Kg lighter, and the car is relatively inconspicuous.

A personalised SLR has been ordered and will arrive when finished, but sometimes its good not to wave a huge flag.

This car has something that the majority of engine transplants do not.
    It can, will and has been parked outside the front door of the Royal Palace and acknowledged with a smile that it matches the style synonomous with the name
    Mohammed Ben Sulayem."

http://germancarfans.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=15241&page=3

Scroll down for more pics...

Re: SLK 55 V8K, you'd better believe it!

thanks for the info amg-merc! wow i guess it really is an SLR engine, omg i'd be scared to drive that thing 320kph+ !!

thanks for the info amg-merc! wow i guess it really is an SLR engine, omg i'd be scared to drive that thing 320kph+ !!

WoooW, you're right Mike, I think that "slr"engine in the slk 55, is very similar to your's in the sl, I think he modded the engine, and put those plastics with the name "slr", who knows!!!!

At least now we know that its not a photoshop

WoooW, you're right Mike, I think that "slr"engine in the slk 55, is very similar to your's in the sl, I think he modded the engine, and put those plastics with the name "slr", who knows!!!!

At least now we know that its not a photoshop

Quote:
    Mike S said:

This engine in the SLK 55 doesn't make any sense from a car enthusiast's point of view. I drove the SLK55 and although it is a nice car, it isn't too much fun to drive compared to a less powerful Boxster for example. The traction is HORRIBLE and I can't imagine it does improve substantially by adding a limited slip differential. The suspension setup is sporty but not cart-like like in the Boxster.
    Steering feel is numb and the ESP jumps in all the time, horrible. Overall, the SLK55 I testdrove felt less sporty and heavier than my wife's current SLK 32 AMG.

This "project" is very interesting, it is almost spectacular but for me as a passionate DRIVER (not poser... ), this SLK55 with SLR engine doesn't make ANY sense at all. Sorry.

Quote:
    Mike S said:

This engine in the SLK 55 doesn't make any sense from a car enthusiast's point of view. I drove the SLK55 and although it is a nice car, it isn't too much fun to drive compared to a less powerful Boxster for example. The traction is HORRIBLE and I can't imagine it does improve substantially by adding a limited slip differential. The suspension setup is sporty but not cart-like like in the Boxster.
    Steering feel is numb and the ESP jumps in all the time, horrible. Overall, the SLK55 I testdrove felt less sporty and heavier than my wife's current SLK 32 AMG.

This "project" is very interesting, it is almost spectacular but for me as a passionate DRIVER (not poser... ), this SLK55 with SLR engine doesn't make ANY sense at all. Sorry.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802557 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448354 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265905 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89908 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6384 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885300 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831962 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM