Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Look out this SLK's performance figure!!!!!!

Why is this a talk between the M3 and the SLK when the article is about the M3 vs C55???

Re: How is NEW SLK55AMG compared S4, M3, C55AMG ?

Well, Julian, I wouldn't have any of those cars as daily commuters in Seoul. Between the roads (actually some of South Korea's roads are excellent) and the number of accidents, there's a pretty good chance that the car will be destroyed. Of the cars that you mentioned, I'd go S4/RS4 or M3, as they have more supple suspensions than the SLK55. None of the cars is great on gas in stop and go traffic. I'd probably drive an A3 as a good compromise of safety and economy or if I didn't care about fuel costs I'd drive a Ssanyong or Hummer due to the number of horrific wrecks.

Well, Julian, I wouldn't have any of those cars as daily commuters in Seoul. Between the roads (actually some of South Korea's roads are excellent) and the number of accidents, there's a pretty good chance that the car will be destroyed. Of the cars that you mentioned, I'd go S4/RS4 or M3, as they have more supple suspensions than the SLK55. None of the cars is great on gas in stop and go traffic. I'd probably drive an A3 as a good compromise of safety and economy or if I didn't care about fuel costs I'd drive a Ssanyong or Hummer due to the number of horrific wrecks.

Straight line performance is great, engine performance is great, the auto tranny is great, exhaust sound is great, the interior is great. Handling is less sporty than on the SLK 32 AMG in my opinion due to the heavier engine, the ESP is still very intrusive, even if you turn it off and heavy understeer shows up as soon as you drive the car really the hard way. My wife owns a SLK 32 AMG and her lease runs out soon. So the question was: to get a SLK 55 AMG or something else. She loves the retractable hard top but I talked her out of it because the steering feel on her SLK 32 AMG was very numb too and in my opinion the Boxster S offers more fun for less money, even if the straight line performance is much better on the SLK 55 AMG. It really depends on what you want. If traffic light races are important to you, the SLK 55 AMG is definetely the better choice. If you want a nice sounding V8, the SLK 55 AMG is the better choice. If you want a go-kart like handling (in a handling test in a US magazine, the Boxster S outperformed even the Ferrari Enzo), the Boxster S would be the better choice. Unfortunately this comes at a "price": performance with Tiptronic (Porsche automatic tranny) is much worse compared to the SLK 55 AMG.

The C 55 AMG is similar to the SLK 55 AMG, not much difference in my opinion. The S4, I don't know, not really my choice. M3? The new M3 is coming soon, you don't want to drive an old car in one year.

Good luck with your decision.

Straight line performance is great, engine performance is great, the auto tranny is great, exhaust sound is great, the interior is great. Handling is less sporty than on the SLK 32 AMG in my opinion due to the heavier engine, the ESP is still very intrusive, even if you turn it off and heavy understeer shows up as soon as you drive the car really the hard way. My wife owns a SLK 32 AMG and her lease runs out soon. So the question was: to get a SLK 55 AMG or something else. She loves the retractable hard top but I talked her out of it because the steering feel on her SLK 32 AMG was very numb too and in my opinion the Boxster S offers more fun for less money, even if the straight line performance is much better on the SLK 55 AMG. It really depends on what you want. If traffic light races are important to you, the SLK 55 AMG is definetely the better choice. If you want a nice sounding V8, the SLK 55 AMG is the better choice. If you want a go-kart like handling (in a handling test in a US magazine, the Boxster S outperformed even the Ferrari Enzo), the Boxster S would be the better choice. Unfortunately this comes at a "price": performance with Tiptronic (Porsche automatic tranny) is much worse compared to the SLK 55 AMG.

The C 55 AMG is similar to the SLK 55 AMG, not much difference in my opinion. The S4, I don't know, not really my choice. M3? The new M3 is coming soon, you don't want to drive an old car in one year.

Good luck with your decision.

The SLK AMG was tested in last nights "Fifth Gear" here in the UK. Vikki Butler Henderson hated it and said it would have been more interesting walking round the Anglesea circuit than driving the SLK AMG. Autocar said the Boxster made the SLK feel "pram like in comparison" and their test car took 7 metres longer to stop from 70mph than the Boxster, the contrived styling, unenviable reliability record....

And after my own experience of indifferent and incompetent servicing and after sales of BMW dealers, which on one occasion left my wife's BMW broken down miles from anywhere ONE DAY after a service, due to all the brake fluid having leaked away, the last straw after a long list of servicing SNAFU's I would never, ever, have one again.

The SLK AMG was tested in last nights "Fifth Gear" here in the UK. Vikki Butler Henderson hated it and said it would have been more interesting walking round the Anglesea circuit than driving the SLK AMG. Autocar said the Boxster made the SLK feel "pram like in comparison" and their test car took 7 metres longer to stop from 70mph than the Boxster, the contrived styling, unenviable reliability record....

And after my own experience of indifferent and incompetent servicing and after sales of BMW dealers, which on one occasion left my wife's BMW broken down miles from anywhere ONE DAY after a service, due to all the brake fluid having leaked away, the last straw after a long list of servicing SNAFU's I would never, ever, have one again.

C55 AMG lighter than M#(according to that article at top)???.....thats wierd, I'm surprised.
    I have a question, is the 5.4 liter Amg engine a good engine. I mean, if you compare horsepower to amount of liters, its not impressive at all, but the torque is decent. I think I red that it is tuned for low end power, is this true and does that explain the low hp/liter ratio?

C55 AMG lighter than M#(according to that article at top)???.....thats wierd, I'm surprised.
    I have a question, is the 5.4 liter Amg engine a good engine. I mean, if you compare horsepower to amount of liters, its not impressive at all, but the torque is decent. I think I red that it is tuned for low end power, is this true and does that explain the low hp/liter ratio?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Did the C2S have the -20 mm suspension installed? If not, the M3 wouldn't get much help with the sport package...

The 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis has been just tested by SPORT AUTO. Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs almost 3(!) seconds faster than the SLK 55 AMG, Nordschleife 8 min 5 sec.
    I drove the SLK 55 AMG a while ago because the lease of my wife runs out (she owns a SLK 32 AMG). After the testdrive, I ordered her a Boxster S, the SLK 55 AMG feels less sporty than her old SLK 32 AMG, only the engine and the auto tranny are absolutely great.
    A huge disappointment in my opinion but I have to admit that I'm more the "handling" type of guy, not the straight line performance type of person.
    That said, no more AMG Mercedes in our family after 3 AMG Mercedes in the past at the same time. Now a third Porsche is coming and although my brain is still a little bit connected to Mercedes AMG, my heart tells me different.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Did the C2S have the -20 mm suspension installed? If not, the M3 wouldn't get much help with the sport package...

The 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis has been just tested by SPORT AUTO. Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs almost 3(!) seconds faster than the SLK 55 AMG, Nordschleife 8 min 5 sec.
    I drove the SLK 55 AMG a while ago because the lease of my wife runs out (she owns a SLK 32 AMG). After the testdrive, I ordered her a Boxster S, the SLK 55 AMG feels less sporty than her old SLK 32 AMG, only the engine and the auto tranny are absolutely great.
    A huge disappointment in my opinion but I have to admit that I'm more the "handling" type of guy, not the straight line performance type of person.
    That said, no more AMG Mercedes in our family after 3 AMG Mercedes in the past at the same time. Now a third Porsche is coming and although my brain is still a little bit connected to Mercedes AMG, my heart tells me different.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis has been just tested by SPORT AUTO. Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs almost 3(!) seconds faster than the SLK 55 AMG, Nordschleife 8 min 5 sec (the SLK was 19(!) seconds slowlier, ouch).

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

The 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis has been just tested by SPORT AUTO. Hockenheim Kleiner Kurs almost 3(!) seconds faster than the SLK 55 AMG, Nordschleife 8 min 5 sec (the SLK was 19(!) seconds slowlier, ouch).

That SLK looks gorgeous... But I agree with The Hawk, wait for the new M3... Thats just my 2 cents

That SLK looks gorgeous... But I agree with The Hawk, wait for the new M3... Thats just my 2 cents

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780428 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442458 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263257 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261580 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5882 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881310 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818496 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM