Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SL 65 AMG and Maybach encounter

Today I had the chance to take a close look at a SL 65 AMG with that famous "stone" interior and a Maybach. I wasn't allowed to take pictures because of the owner of these cars but all I can say is that the SL 65 AMG looks very nice, very sporty, very classy, very expensive and quality look and feel is incredible, honestly. I'm impressed. I just wish I was allowed to take pictures, this car was so special. It had so many special options, something really worth seeing. Can't say much about driving though but I have to admit that this car looked very very attractive.

The Maybach was a different story, this is one of the ugliest cars I ever saw. No matter how much money I'd have, the Maybach would be an attack on my taste, lifestyle and life philosophy. Absolutely horrible.
    I saw the Maybach in many car magazines and I can't say I really loved it but I also didn't hate it. Now, I put it in the same personal "hate" category together with the Ford Ka and Smart.
    Maybe some industry moguls or CEOs need the Maybach to show off but I'd definetely prefer a Bentley or even Rolls Royce over the Maybach. And I never was a real admirer of those luxury limousines for people who need a chauffeur and don't want to enjoy the fun of driving.

If somebody didn't decide yet whether to get a SLR or the SL65 AMG, the answer is now clear: get the SL 65 AMG, save a lot of money and buy a Porsche 997 Carrera S for some fun on the track. Two great cars for the price of one, the perfect combo.

Re: SL 65 AMG and Maybach encounter

Totally agree, RC. SL65 is an interesting straight-line, commuter car at a bargain price vs SLR...though I'm sure many would question the logic of its $60Kish premium over SL55 in a non-Germanic setting where its performance delta vs 55 is difficult to deploy.

My sense is Maybach is an utter marketing failure in Manhattan/Greenwich, prob its largest potential mkt where the wealthy are often driven around....many high-powered NYC/Greenwich financiers seem to favor the classic personal limo, a black S600 Sport, to drive them around...a much lower profile car, that is also much more attractive than Maybach....and much cheaper...better to use the cost savings for plane costs and/or other toys....

Totally agree, RC. SL65 is an interesting straight-line, commuter car at a bargain price vs SLR...though I'm sure many would question the logic of its $60Kish premium over SL55 in a non-Germanic setting where its performance delta vs 55 is difficult to deploy.

My sense is Maybach is an utter marketing failure in Manhattan/Greenwich, prob its largest potential mkt where the wealthy are often driven around....many high-powered NYC/Greenwich financiers seem to favor the classic personal limo, a black S600 Sport, to drive them around...a much lower profile car, that is also much more attractive than Maybach....and much cheaper...better to use the cost savings for plane costs and/or other toys....

Very well spoken RC! Exactly what I think.

Very well spoken RC! Exactly what I think.

A friend of mine told me today that the Mayback retains 36% of its value after one year. A dealer recently sold a used example in the mid to high $100k's. The Phantom is something like 34%. I don't know much about this market, so these numbers surprised me.

A friend of mine told me today that the Mayback retains 36% of its value after one year. A dealer recently sold a used example in the mid to high $100k's. The Phantom is something like 34%. I don't know much about this market, so these numbers surprised me.

I checked the Bentley dealership in my town recently. The Cont. GT looks like a very nice car but there was missing something special - something very unique. The handbuild-myth of the past dosen't fit on the GT anymore, quite a few parts are derived from the Phaeton basis in my eyes.

I do understand that certain people choose this car, especially for its presence on the street. I would love to get this car if there would be some minor differences. I even have to admit that the Phaeton cluster, even if changed slightly, didn't make me feel too happy about it.

Too be honest isn't this car much too cheap at 150k Euros?

I checked the Bentley dealership in my town recently. The Cont. GT looks like a very nice car but there was missing something special - something very unique. The handbuild-myth of the past dosen't fit on the GT anymore, quite a few parts are derived from the Phaeton basis in my eyes.

I do understand that certain people choose this car, especially for its presence on the street. I would love to get this car if there would be some minor differences. I even have to admit that the Phaeton cluster, even if changed slightly, didn't make me feel too happy about it.

Too be honest isn't this car much too cheap at 150k Euros?

Ferdie, I wouldn't pay 150000 Euro for the Bentley, simply because this isn't my "type" of car. And you're right, especially the interior reminds a lot of the Phaeton.

But the Maybach just shocked me. I love luxury, I sometimes even love senseless and tasteless stuff. But the Maybach just looks plain ugly. I can't find anything nice about this car, it is huge and this is it. Horrible, absolutely shocking experience. But that SL 65 AMG gave me second thoughts: really nice, if I had the choice to choose a second car next to my Carrera S, it would probably be the SL 65 AMG. For those special moments with my wife (who hates to drive with me because she gets sick in the curves... ) when only straight line performance and luxury counts. I wish I would have been able to take a picture of the SL 65 AMG right next to a SL 55 AMG. Huge difference in details, impressive.
    Whoever spends more than double the money for the SLR must be nuts, honestly.

Ferdie, I wouldn't pay 150000 Euro for the Bentley, simply because this isn't my "type" of car. And you're right, especially the interior reminds a lot of the Phaeton.

But the Maybach just shocked me. I love luxury, I sometimes even love senseless and tasteless stuff. But the Maybach just looks plain ugly. I can't find anything nice about this car, it is huge and this is it. Horrible, absolutely shocking experience. But that SL 65 AMG gave me second thoughts: really nice, if I had the choice to choose a second car next to my Carrera S, it would probably be the SL 65 AMG. For those special moments with my wife (who hates to drive with me because she gets sick in the curves... ) when only straight line performance and luxury counts. I wish I would have been able to take a picture of the SL 65 AMG right next to a SL 55 AMG. Huge difference in details, impressive.
    Whoever spends more than double the money for the SLR must be nuts, honestly.

Hello RC
    Hello Members,

Quote:
    If somebody didn't decide yet whether to get a SLR or the SL65 AMG, the answer is now clear: get the SL 65 AMG, save a lot of money and buy a Porsche 997 Carrera S for some fun on the track

You're absoultely right - to have fun, someone have to go for both of them, even when the SL65 is a fast car on the straight line - the mass (weight) of the car is not made for enjoying fast turns. I tried already a few times to run my SL65 on different track days, on different circuits, but due to the suspension there is no real road feeling. As well driving "hard" is quite expensive, cause you need a lot of material (brakes, tyres...) not to mention psychical troubles to run such an expensive car on a track.

The difference in pricing to the SL55 results of the built in SLD, different gearbox, Performance package, upgrade of brakes, standard full leather, wheels and of course the engine!

The SLR is a complete different car - weight is much less than the SL65, normal suspension, ceramic brakes, carbon chassis, engine perfomance. I had the possibility to drive both of them on the same day and I can tell you it is a huge difference in driving on a circuit. Even for a non-experienced race track visitor like me - it is easy to drive with the car very fast.

If you want to see a SL65 next to a SL55 we can arrange this - one of my friends is driving a SL55 with PP - so you are able to check out the difference "life" between the both of them. (next track day at SPA-Belgium coming weekend).

kind regards from France

Walter

Hello RC
    Hello Members,

Quote:
    If somebody didn't decide yet whether to get a SLR or the SL65 AMG, the answer is now clear: get the SL 65 AMG, save a lot of money and buy a Porsche 997 Carrera S for some fun on the track

You're absoultely right - to have fun, someone have to go for both of them, even when the SL65 is a fast car on the straight line - the mass (weight) of the car is not made for enjoying fast turns. I tried already a few times to run my SL65 on different track days, on different circuits, but due to the suspension there is no real road feeling. As well driving "hard" is quite expensive, cause you need a lot of material (brakes, tyres...) not to mention psychical troubles to run such an expensive car on a track.

The difference in pricing to the SL55 results of the built in SLD, different gearbox, Performance package, upgrade of brakes, standard full leather, wheels and of course the engine!

The SLR is a complete different car - weight is much less than the SL65, normal suspension, ceramic brakes, carbon chassis, engine perfomance. I had the possibility to drive both of them on the same day and I can tell you it is a huge difference in driving on a circuit. Even for a non-experienced race track visitor like me - it is easy to drive with the car very fast.

If you want to see a SL65 next to a SL55 we can arrange this - one of my friends is driving a SL55 with PP - so you are able to check out the difference "life" between the both of them. (next track day at SPA-Belgium coming weekend).

kind regards from France

Walter

Walter, you still owe me some speedo/tach videos of your SL65. Now I'm a patient man, but seeing an SL55 vs SL65 drag race would also suffice

Walter, you still owe me some speedo/tach videos of your SL65. Now I'm a patient man, but seeing an SL55 vs SL65 drag race would also suffice

Hi Walter, nice picture.

I don't think that many SLR customers take their car to the track, this is why I meant that a SL65 would suffice.
    I also doubt that many SLR customers will actually drive their cars on a daily basis, so the SL65 would be the much better choice.
    And of course it is no secret that I don't like how the SLR looks alike.

BTW: why would somebody track race a SL55 or even SL65?

Hi Walter, nice picture.

I don't think that many SLR customers take their car to the track, this is why I meant that a SL65 would suffice.
    I also doubt that many SLR customers will actually drive their cars on a daily basis, so the SL65 would be the much better choice.
    And of course it is no secret that I don't like how the SLR looks alike.

Quote:
    RC said:
    ...SL 65 AMG right next to a SL 55 AMG. Huge difference in details, impressive...

I didn't expect too many differences between the two cars. Which ones do you think of in detail?
    I'd say the full leather and special stone-decoration makes a huge difference but everything else should be due to improvements during product lifecycle, shouldn't it?

I can understand your opinion on the Maybach to a certain extend, though the only one I have seen up close was the one from Brabus...
    I don't expect that you like that one either!

Mercedes wasn't able to launch such a car with the three-pointed star on the hood, people demanded something special to pay the premium on that car. So I'd say there are quite a few parts on the car that are very similiar to other Mercedes models. Funny that you didn't like it.

It is kind of miraculous to me that Mercedes didn't put the emphasis on the looks but strongly went the technology route both on the Maybach and the SLR. This is kind of funny since both cars' predecessors, the Gullwing model just as much as the Maybachs weren't ugly cars at all - rather much the opposite!
    So I am quite curious if people will see the McL MB SLR see in line with the 300 SLR from the past (and the same with the equivalent Maybach models). I heavily doubt it.

Walter, nice car! How does it behave compared to the SL55? Is there a huge difference in weight distribution or handling?
    I suppose we have a lot of members who would be very curious about it!

Greetings!

Quote:
    RC said:
    ...SL 65 AMG right next to a SL 55 AMG. Huge difference in details, impressive...

I didn't expect too many differences between the two cars. Which ones do you think of in detail?
    I'd say the full leather and special stone-decoration makes a huge difference but everything else should be due to improvements during product lifecycle, shouldn't it?

I can understand your opinion on the Maybach to a certain extend, though the only one I have seen up close was the one from Brabus...
    I don't expect that you like that one either!

Mercedes wasn't able to launch such a car with the three-pointed star on the hood, people demanded something special to pay the premium on that car. So I'd say there are quite a few parts on the car that are very similiar to other Mercedes models. Funny that you didn't like it.

It is kind of miraculous to me that Mercedes didn't put the emphasis on the looks but strongly went the technology route both on the Maybach and the SLR. This is kind of funny since both cars' predecessors, the Gullwing model just as much as the Maybachs weren't ugly cars at all - rather much the opposite!
    So I am quite curious if people will see the McL MB SLR see in line with the 300 SLR from the past (and the same with the equivalent Maybach models). I heavily doubt it.

Walter, nice car! How does it behave compared to the SL55? Is there a huge difference in weight distribution or handling?
    I suppose we have a lot of members who would be very curious about it!

Greetings!

Quote:

Hello RC,

Thats easy to answer - cause in here we have strict speed limits, and the "men in blue" (Gendarmerie) do not understand any jokes, when they catch you on the highway. So the only possibility to enjoy the car with higher speeds is either to go to Germany (Autobahn), or on a race track. Actually now I am looking for a track day car as well, just to have some fun.

But as well the SL65 is not a daily driver for me; most of the time the car is sleeping in the garage

Regarding handling; The car is easy to drive even in tight turns, only ESB is coming a little bit to early, and I do not dare, to switch it off ( tried already ) - cause as written in my first reply, it would be a pitty to wrack the car on a track; and I am not a PRO in driving on the circuit.

kind regards from France

Walter

PS.: First videos are already finished - waiting that my homepage is ready to go online, and more will be produced next weekand in Spa.

Quote:

Hello RC,

Thats easy to answer - cause in here we have strict speed limits, and the "men in blue" (Gendarmerie) do not understand any jokes, when they catch you on the highway. So the only possibility to enjoy the car with higher speeds is either to go to Germany (Autobahn), or on a race track. Actually now I am looking for a track day car as well, just to have some fun.

But as well the SL65 is not a daily driver for me; most of the time the car is sleeping in the garage

Regarding handling; The car is easy to drive even in tight turns, only ESB is coming a little bit to early, and I do not dare, to switch it off ( tried already ) - cause as written in my first reply, it would be a pitty to wrack the car on a track; and I am not a PRO in driving on the circuit.

kind regards from France

Walter

PS.: First videos are already finished - waiting that my homepage is ready to go online, and more will be produced next weekand in Spa.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761426 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434775 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260194 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257347 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5315 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871628 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806904 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM