Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Possible Transmission Problem...

Okay, while driving to school today, I realized there was perhaps something wrong with my transmission. When I would take a left turn at a decent speed or fast I would hear rattling coming from the transmission or the transmission housing. I already made sure there the sound was coming from and yes...it appears to be a rattling sound. I have no clue what it is. also, this doesnt happen when I make right turns. Only left hand turns are the loudest. Another thing I've been wondering is the fact that when I change gears it seems to be looser and not hard to change like it use to be. Anyone have a idea of what might be wrong? This rattling sound is scaring me.

BTW...its a 1990 Mercedes 300E if that helps anyone.

Re: Possible Transmission Problem...

Drive shaft constant velocity joint is shot!

You should take the car to the shop to have the problem looked at by a real mechanic, instead of relying on crap speculation on the net from people like me, who - for all you know - don't know what they are talking about.

Drive shaft constant velocity joint is shot!

You should take the car to the shop to have the problem looked at by a real mechanic, instead of relying on crap speculation on the net from people like me, who - for all you know - don't know what they are talking about.

wow. sound's really serious. I'll have a mechanic check it out. Does anyone else think it might be something else?

wow. sound's really serious. I'll have a mechanic check it out. Does anyone else think it might be something else?

The real point of my post was not to alarm you with an uninformed, inexpert opinion based on insufficient detail, but to say that it would be better idea to have the car checked by a mechanic. Since you asked for further opinions on the forum, I guess the message was too subtle.

So what did the mechanic say?

The real point of my post was not to alarm you with an uninformed, inexpert opinion based on insufficient detail, but to say that it would be better idea to have the car checked by a mechanic. Since you asked for further opinions on the forum, I guess the message was too subtle.

So what did the mechanic say?

I haven't taken it to the mechanic yet. But if anything, I took a closer look into where the sound was coming from. It seems like its right where the transmission is, the sound, sounds like something is loose perhaps therefore rattles back and fourth while making turns. Could a bushing, linkage or what so ever be loose? Also, the shift for the transmission seems to have gotten really loose. Now I dont even know if its even if drive or neutral cause its so loose.

I haven't taken it to the mechanic yet. But if anything, I took a closer look into where the sound was coming from. It seems like its right where the transmission is, the sound, sounds like something is loose perhaps therefore rattles back and fourth while making turns. Could a bushing, linkage or what so ever be loose? Also, the shift for the transmission seems to have gotten really loose. Now I dont even know if its even if drive or neutral cause its so loose.

Quote:
    TopherV said:
    .... the shift for the transmission seems to have gotten really loose. Now I dont even know if its even if drive or neutral cause its so loose.

I think "remote" auto problem diagnosis on the internet is crazy, which is why I advised you had the car checked by a mechanic in my first post. What you now say makes it sound like it could be a failing / failed power unit mounting (engine or transmission). This might not even be that expensive to fix at this stage. (I note you said you were going to school, and when I went to school nobody was paying me much for it. So I think I understand why you want to know what the problem might be before you roll up in front of the auto workshop).

Fact is, an early repair might reduce the risk of "collateral" damage resulting, for example, from the power unit moving around more than it was ever meant to in the car. Do you have any friends or friends' dads with enough auto knowledge, who could take short ride with you? They might at least be able to put your mind at ease, or ring an alarm bell, depending on how things are.

Quote:
    TopherV said:
    .... the shift for the transmission seems to have gotten really loose. Now I dont even know if its even if drive or neutral cause its so loose.

I think "remote" auto problem diagnosis on the internet is crazy, which is why I advised you had the car checked by a mechanic in my first post. What you now say makes it sound like it could be a failing / failed power unit mounting (engine or transmission). This might not even be that expensive to fix at this stage. (I note you said you were going to school, and when I went to school nobody was paying me much for it. So I think I understand why you want to know what the problem might be before you roll up in front of the auto workshop).

Fact is, an early repair might reduce the risk of "collateral" damage resulting, for example, from the power unit moving around more than it was ever meant to in the car. Do you have any friends or friends' dads with enough auto knowledge, who could take short ride with you? They might at least be able to put your mind at ease, or ring an alarm bell, depending on how things are.

Do you like your G35?

Do you like your G35?

Yea i like it - Pretty quick

My friend wanted me to post his problem on this forum because he knows no other place to get information
    - I do not own a benz. Prob. never will

Yea i like it - Pretty quick

My friend wanted me to post his problem on this forum because he knows no other place to get information
    - I do not own a benz. Prob. never will

Quote:
    TopherV said:

Any chance of an update on your friend's problem?

Um, I mean his car's problem, naturally.

Quote:
    TopherV said:

Any chance of an update on your friend's problem?

Um, I mean his car's problem, naturally.

Quote:
    TopherV said:

Hi Christopher,

Are you going to tell us what was wrong with your friend's transmission, or is it going to remain one of the deeper mysteries of life?

There are at least two people out here in cyber space sitting on the edges of their seats and waiting to hear.

I think we deserve to know.

Quote:
    TopherV said:

Hi Christopher,

Are you going to tell us what was wrong with your friend's transmission, or is it going to remain one of the deeper mysteries of life?

There are at least two people out here in cyber space sitting on the edges of their seats and waiting to hear.

I think we deserve to know.

I have no clue if the guy fixed it. and i doubt it was a transmission problem. He let me drive his car so i can try and figure it out. Everytime i took a hard left turn a pinging noise would occur.

Lets say like a pinball machine, better yet those toy machine guns. everytime you pull the trigger it would make that clack clack clack noise. I hope you guys are sorda getting my lame metaphors.

Only in left hand turns. Something sounds loose - As if somethign is popping in and outa place.

Ill get the info later on today to see what/ if any progress he made on fixing his car

I have no clue if the guy fixed it. and i doubt it was a transmission problem. He let me drive his car so i can try and figure it out. Everytime i took a hard left turn a pinging noise would occur.

Lets say like a pinball machine, better yet those toy machine guns. everytime you pull the trigger it would make that clack clack clack noise. I hope you guys are sorda getting my lame metaphors.

Only in left hand turns. Something sounds loose - As if somethign is popping in and outa place.

Ill get the info later on today to see what/ if any progress he made on fixing his car

Ok got the news pretty fast - Two bushings for the shift linkage fell out so it came loose and started making those noises i was describing in the previous post

Ok got the news pretty fast - Two bushings for the shift linkage fell out so it came loose and started making those noises i was describing in the previous post

Thanks. I think I will now be able to sleep better tonight.

Replacing those bushes will probably have been a lot cheaper for your friend than a new drive shaft (my spontaneous, uninformed, and not-intended-to-be-taken-seriously remote guess).

Thanks. I think I will now be able to sleep better tonight.

Replacing those bushes will probably have been a lot cheaper for your friend than a new drive shaft (my spontaneous, uninformed, and not-intended-to-be-taken-seriously remote guess).

ha when i read that i didnt take into account the
    sarcasm.

I just laughed - thought to myself thats gonna be a
    b*tch - and exited the screen

sarcasm.

Quote:
    TopherV said:
    sarcasm.

Sarcasm! I hate that word.

Irony, please.

My irony must be getting rusty.

Quote:
    TopherV said:
    sarcasm.

Sarcasm! I hate that word.

Irony, please.

My irony must be getting rusty.

My mistake -

Your ironic remark was amusing to me,
    and hell to my friend -

You fooled us both at first.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752960 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430637 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258557 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868237 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801780 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM