Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

don't worry if your AMG breaks down...

... your friendly 24h Mercedes Service Car will be right there for you...

greets taz

Re: don't worry if your AMG breaks down...

An AMG car breaking down?

I think you were confusing Mercedes-Benz with Porsche and Ferrari

In Antwort auf:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

Electronics killed the cat, er, the star...

In Antwort auf:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

Electronics killed the cat, er, the star...

Cheap shot

Cheap shot

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

I think you're confusing Porsche with MB and Ferrari

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

I think you're confusing Porsche with MB and Ferrari

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

OK, this is an AMG forum and we should stop bashing AMG.
    I mean it!

For Bilal: my E55 AMG had the worst reliability I can imagine. My 996 Turbo with 543 HP and tuned up to the "teeth" didn't show ONE single problem for over 12000 km (I had 12000 km on my E55 when I sold it).
    Our ML55 had several little problems, nothing serious but annoying. My 996 Turbo was practically bullet proof, almost no problems at all. From my knowledge, Porsche has a much better reliability record than Mercedes lately but correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

I mean it!

For Bilal: my E55 AMG had the worst reliability I can imagine. My 996 Turbo with 543 HP and tuned up to the "teeth" didn't show ONE single problem for over 12000 km (I had 12000 km on my E55 when I sold it).
    Our ML55 had several little problems, nothing serious but annoying. My 996 Turbo was practically bullet proof, almost no problems at all. From my knowledge, Porsche has a much better reliability record than Mercedes lately but correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I mean it!

For Bilal: my E55 AMG had the worst reliability I can imagine. Our ML55 had several little problems.
    From my knowledge, Porsche has a much better reliability record than Mercedes lately but correct me if I'm wrong.

RC, I think you got your Graemlins mixed up!

I think you meant to write:

" we should stop bashing AMG. I mean it! "

fritz

Quote:
    RC said:
    I mean it!

For Bilal: my E55 AMG had the worst reliability I can imagine. Our ML55 had several little problems.
    From my knowledge, Porsche has a much better reliability record than Mercedes lately but correct me if I'm wrong.

RC, I think you got your Graemlins mixed up!

I think you meant to write:

" we should stop bashing AMG. I mean it! "

fritz

RC, there is a certain patriotism in your post when you defend AMG.

Nice to see, even though you may have had bad experiences of their cars and don't like the driving feel, its good to see you put your foot down.

PS, RC, you weren't being sarcastic were you, like Fritz was implying?

Nice to see, even though you may have had bad experiences of their cars and don't like the driving feel, its good to see you put your foot down.

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

Hey Bilal,

What are you saying? I don't even know what the word "sarcasm" means!

Maybe "light irony".

fritz

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

Hey Bilal,

What are you saying? I don't even know what the word "sarcasm" means!

Maybe "light irony".

fritz

I think we all wondered when Daimler Benz took over Chrysler,..... oops, sorry, merged with Chrysler..... how long it would take them to get all the companies' products to the same quality level.

They seem to have achieved this objective very quickly, according to Carlos' second JD Powers graph.

Mercedes Benz has already moved down below Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge, and is about to overtake Jeep.

That may be why they bought into Mitsubishi. They'll soon need a new target to set themselves.

fritz

PS: I've lost track of the takeover market. Does DC already own Kia, or will that company have to be the next candidate?

I think we all wondered when Daimler Benz took over Chrysler,..... oops, sorry, merged with Chrysler..... how long it would take them to get all the companies' products to the same quality level.

They seem to have achieved this objective very quickly, according to Carlos' second JD Powers graph.

Mercedes Benz has already moved down below Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge, and is about to overtake Jeep.

That may be why they bought into Mitsubishi. They'll soon need a new target to set themselves.

fritz

PS: I've lost track of the takeover market. Does DC already own Kia, or will that company have to be the next candidate?

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

No patriotism. If I like a car, I say it, if not, I say it too.
    And no, no sarcasm, I meant the . It is easy to bash a car one doesn't know. I drove almost all current AMG models and I really like some and some less.
    AMG builds fine cars, no doubt about it. They only have one major problem: Mercedes is too much involved in development, setup and sales strategy.
    I actually admire Mercedes for what they achieved over the past few years, raising an "old" and boring car brand to new heights by introducing a fresh design and some innovations.
    However: they forgot about quality in this process, the so called "bullet proof" Mercedes quality doesn't seem to exist anymore and this is very sad.
    AMG should lower weight on the cars they get from Mercedes, they should improve traction by installing a limited slip differential as a standard option (or even a 4-matic system) and they should definetely remove that numb steering feel and understand that there is no fun in not really feeling the street. If AMG states they build sports cars (or sports sedans, sports coupes, sports roadsters or whatever...), they have to improve sportiness. A lot of AMG Mercedes owners seem to think that a Porsche for example doesn't have any ride comfort and the noise level is horrible. How suprised are many of them if they find out they were wrong. I AM a hardcore Porsche addict and I'm even more now after owning a Mercedes E55 AMG. But I still enjoy our family ML55 and my wife's SLK 32, even if today I accelerated and I just got a hit in my back with a flashing ESP light in the speedo. Apparently a SLK 32 and winter tires are a pretty bad combo regarding traction. Did I mention that I almost made an accident because of that? I expected traction and fast forward movement and all I got was a lousy T-shirt...oops...hit in my back. If AMG doesn't do anything about traction, they'll loose a lot of potential customers in the future. A sports car can't be fun without sufficient traction, especially when the ESP jumps in all the time. BTW: we had 6-12 *C today and completely dry streets.

And a last word for AMG bashers: AMG builds very interesting cars and to a certain level, they're really fun. We really should try to view AMG cars as sporty cars but not sports cars. This is maybe the mistake we all make when discussing AMG models.

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

No patriotism. If I like a car, I say it, if not, I say it too.
    And no, no sarcasm, I meant the . It is easy to bash a car one doesn't know. I drove almost all current AMG models and I really like some and some less.
    AMG builds fine cars, no doubt about it. They only have one major problem: Mercedes is too much involved in development, setup and sales strategy.
    I actually admire Mercedes for what they achieved over the past few years, raising an "old" and boring car brand to new heights by introducing a fresh design and some innovations.
    However: they forgot about quality in this process, the so called "bullet proof" Mercedes quality doesn't seem to exist anymore and this is very sad.
    AMG should lower weight on the cars they get from Mercedes, they should improve traction by installing a limited slip differential as a standard option (or even a 4-matic system) and they should definetely remove that numb steering feel and understand that there is no fun in not really feeling the street. If AMG states they build sports cars (or sports sedans, sports coupes, sports roadsters or whatever...), they have to improve sportiness. A lot of AMG Mercedes owners seem to think that a Porsche for example doesn't have any ride comfort and the noise level is horrible. How suprised are many of them if they find out they were wrong. I AM a hardcore Porsche addict and I'm even more now after owning a Mercedes E55 AMG. But I still enjoy our family ML55 and my wife's SLK 32, even if today I accelerated and I just got a hit in my back with a flashing ESP light in the speedo. Apparently a SLK 32 and winter tires are a pretty bad combo regarding traction. Did I mention that I almost made an accident because of that? I expected traction and fast forward movement and all I got was a lousy T-shirt...oops...hit in my back. If AMG doesn't do anything about traction, they'll loose a lot of potential customers in the future. A sports car can't be fun without sufficient traction, especially when the ESP jumps in all the time. BTW: we had 6-12 *C today and completely dry streets.

And a last word for AMG bashers: AMG builds very interesting cars and to a certain level, they're really fun. We really should try to view AMG cars as sporty cars but not sports cars. This is maybe the mistake we all make when discussing AMG models.

Couldn't agree more!

I think AMG is listening to you guys in the form of having an LSD available, even though it should be standard, and Nurburgring suspension, SL Performance pack, etc.

The new C55 AMG, and SLK 55 should address the problems, and should be great cars to drive...the C facelift 230K has got a lot of positive reviews, saying its AS GOOD AS a BMW 3 series! Now add AMG to the mix with Nring suspension, and you can see where this argument is going...

RC, would it be possible if I asked you to test drive the C55 and SLK55? I would love to hear your opinion concerning these cars and comapre them to the E55...You have pretty close friends at AMG, it should be worthwhile?

And as for Mercedes steering I can say, ALL Mercedes have this horrendous feel, simply there is NO feel! Some of their cars have decent weighting so you don't feel like you're driving a Lexus, but then horrendous kickback comes as standard!

Why can't they just implement a totally new system?

Couldn't agree more!

I think AMG is listening to you guys in the form of having an LSD available, even though it should be standard, and Nurburgring suspension, SL Performance pack, etc.

The new C55 AMG, and SLK 55 should address the problems, and should be great cars to drive...the C facelift 230K has got a lot of positive reviews, saying its AS GOOD AS a BMW 3 series! Now add AMG to the mix with Nring suspension, and you can see where this argument is going...

RC, would it be possible if I asked you to test drive the C55 and SLK55? I would love to hear your opinion concerning these cars and comapre them to the E55...You have pretty close friends at AMG, it should be worthwhile?

And as for Mercedes steering I can say, ALL Mercedes have this horrendous feel, simply there is NO feel! Some of their cars have decent weighting so you don't feel like you're driving a Lexus, but then horrendous kickback comes as standard!

Why can't they just implement a totally new system?

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

I really want to do a testdrive, especially in the SLK 55.
    But I have to wait until these cars are available at my dealer. AMG doesn't seem to want to support internet car sites (and we even have an official german press license!), they probably support their AMG Owner Club site only. Just a guess...
    Maybe they really just don't want an unbiased opinion about their cars...who knows?!

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

I really want to do a testdrive, especially in the SLK 55.
    But I have to wait until these cars are available at my dealer. AMG doesn't seem to want to support internet car sites (and we even have an official german press license!), they probably support their AMG Owner Club site only. Just a guess...
    Maybe they really just don't want an unbiased opinion about their cars...who knows?!

Oh well, time will tell, but judging by previous AMG's and rennteams general opinion about Mercedes handling, I think we all know what a foregone conclusion it'll be

RC, as for reliability well I'm not going to say Mercedes cars are bulletproof, but I will say they're packed full of technology, and its basically feels like you're driving a computer! I know the majority of people like the purer things, but I kinda prefer technology. I know its not fun being stranded on the motorway one snowy night just because the airbag was acting up, but eventually over time, things will get sorted out. Your Porsche was so reliable since it never had anywhere near the level of tech that you get in a Mercedes, just look at a CL brochure, or an SL owners manual and you just know Mercedes doesn't make "simple" cars anymore.

For me personally I love the technology in a Mercedes, everything from what the engine management is doing or how the transmission is learning my driving and adjusting accordingly. I know inevitably I might get stranded one day, but I'll always know that Mercedes tested the car and engineered it like no other, whether it was an A-class or the Maybach, call it blind faith, call it stupidity, my loyalty remains true.

The way I see it, you can either have all this cutting edge tech now and show off to the neighbours regardless if its works or not, or you can wait for the mk30 VW Golf to have it in a decades time...

Oh well, time will tell, but judging by previous AMG's and rennteams general opinion about Mercedes handling, I think we all know what a foregone conclusion it'll be

RC, as for reliability well I'm not going to say Mercedes cars are bulletproof, but I will say they're packed full of technology, and its basically feels like you're driving a computer! I know the majority of people like the purer things, but I kinda prefer technology. I know its not fun being stranded on the motorway one snowy night just because the airbag was acting up, but eventually over time, things will get sorted out. Your Porsche was so reliable since it never had anywhere near the level of tech that you get in a Mercedes, just look at a CL brochure, or an SL owners manual and you just know Mercedes doesn't make "simple" cars anymore.

For me personally I love the technology in a Mercedes, everything from what the engine management is doing or how the transmission is learning my driving and adjusting accordingly. I know inevitably I might get stranded one day, but I'll always know that Mercedes tested the car and engineered it like no other, whether it was an A-class or the Maybach, call it blind faith, call it stupidity, my loyalty remains true.

The way I see it, you can either have all this cutting edge tech now and show off to the neighbours regardless if its works or not, or you can wait for the mk30 VW Golf to have it in a decades time...

Bilal, MB always was big on technology, may be not so much electronics. In fact, even in the 70's, there was a feeling MB's were over-engineered, along with the fear `what happens if it breaks down near MAyberry? Can the local gas station fix it?' Then electronics arrived. As early as the early 90's, roughly 30 percent of a BMW cost was in electronics. Now cars are no longer mechanical devices; they are an electronics object driving mechanical components. This is true of almost all cars, evne cheap ones. Many of the `hi-tech' items in MB's were in fact developed before by other manufacturers -- although MB advertizing takes credit. MB does have a large R&D unit which is active.

Porsche has far fewer defects overall than MB. They both use a lot of technology. So balming it on high tech is probably not correct. I personally think, the problems with MB came at least ot a large part from the top of hte company which lost sight of producing good cars, rahter than enough profits to keep Daimler Chrysler solvent. Look at the pay of DC Board -- many times that of the BMW Board.

In hte 70's there was talk of why American companies could not build cars like the Japanese did. A reason that resonated waas that while Mr. Honda and Mr. Toyota were still alive, GM and Ford were being run by business types. However, still the American auto industry did servive and they started building decent cars.

My impression from the various boards is that MB is on the verge of turning it around -- although we'll have to see what JD Powers says. With the Porsche family still in charge of Porsche, it is likely they will keep bringing as much excitement as they can afford to bring. Unfortunately, MB's larger R&D budget cannot have the same kind of leadership.

I have an E55 on order. I'll soon figure whether I made a mistake or not.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688440 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408658 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255499 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234748 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65366 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857536 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773287 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM