Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: sportcoupè

ouch, that sucks man. Sometimes(and all too often) cops seem to be very powermad and stupid.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    This becomes very handy when you don't have a license or when you lose it!
    French license is granted 12 points. Guess what, since last week end, I only have two!!!!!!
    Better behave myself now or I'll end up in one of those!
    BTW, FYI, I had 6 pts left (2 speeding offences) and I just lost 4 point last saturday night because according to the cops I burned a red light, it was more dark orange to me, but hey, that's life.
    Five cops litterally jumped on me!!! When they saw the driver of that nice 996 was in his twenties, they thought, let's massacre him!
    And they certainly did, 4 points and more than 300 Euros fines for the red light and not enough threads on my rear tyres!
    If you drive in France, take it very easy! Not good being seen in a sport car these days.

You have to drive a SUV, Francois. Three France visits in my ML55, every time for 7-14 days. A lot of driving involved, mostly doing speeds around 200 kph. No problems at all. Oh, maybe I should mention that local cop in his little white Peugeot who tried to follow me for 20 km but gave up. He had that blue police flash light turned on behind his windscreen but I think I overlooked his tiny car.
    Another interesting fact: when I went to the Cote d'Azur, sometimes there were police check points who stopped cars randomly. They always stopped sports cars (true) but never stopped me. Get a Cayenne Turbo with 600 HP and I bet your problems fade away. Tell your father that SUVs are much safer and not fast at all. Older people usually believe that. When I drove with my old man (he's 80) last summer to Munich, I did almost 250 kph on the speedo in my ML55.
    He looked at the speedo and asked me if something is wrong with it, he didn't believe me that this "truck" (as he calls it) runs true 240 kph.
    And another hint (not sure if it works for you but it always worked for me when I was young): be very friendly and apologize when police stops you. They usually change their attitude and if you're lucky, they let you go and if not, they usually close an eye or two. German police has a very nice method to let you know that you've been naughty and they don't like you: they check the presence of a first-aid-kit and they check tire wear because this is how they can really "bust" you. I bet it is the same in France.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    This becomes very handy when you don't have a license or when you lose it!
    French license is granted 12 points. Guess what, since last week end, I only have two!!!!!!
    Better behave myself now or I'll end up in one of those!
    BTW, FYI, I had 6 pts left (2 speeding offences) and I just lost 4 point last saturday night because according to the cops I burned a red light, it was more dark orange to me, but hey, that's life.
    Five cops litterally jumped on me!!! When they saw the driver of that nice 996 was in his twenties, they thought, let's massacre him!
    And they certainly did, 4 points and more than 300 Euros fines for the red light and not enough threads on my rear tyres!
    If you drive in France, take it very easy! Not good being seen in a sport car these days.

You have to drive a SUV, Francois. Three France visits in my ML55, every time for 7-14 days. A lot of driving involved, mostly doing speeds around 200 kph. No problems at all. Oh, maybe I should mention that local cop in his little white Peugeot who tried to follow me for 20 km but gave up. He had that blue police flash light turned on behind his windscreen but I think I overlooked his tiny car.
    Another interesting fact: when I went to the Cote d'Azur, sometimes there were police check points who stopped cars randomly. They always stopped sports cars (true) but never stopped me. Get a Cayenne Turbo with 600 HP and I bet your problems fade away. Tell your father that SUVs are much safer and not fast at all. Older people usually believe that. When I drove with my old man (he's 80) last summer to Munich, I did almost 250 kph on the speedo in my ML55.
    He looked at the speedo and asked me if something is wrong with it, he didn't believe me that this "truck" (as he calls it) runs true 240 kph.
    And another hint (not sure if it works for you but it always worked for me when I was young): be very friendly and apologize when police stops you. They usually change their attitude and if you're lucky, they let you go and if not, they usually close an eye or two. German police has a very nice method to let you know that you've been naughty and they don't like you: they check the presence of a first-aid-kit and they check tire wear because this is how they can really "bust" you. I bet it is the same in France.

Do you guys think it might make things hard for me if I choose yellow for my next car? I love the color, but I don't think it sends the right messages to authorities. Conversely, does it not matter, because all they see is the sports car?

Do you guys think it might make things hard for me if I choose yellow for my next car? I love the color, but I don't think it sends the right messages to authorities. Conversely, does it not matter, because all they see is the sports car?

Quote:
    Justin said:

Justin, this is an interesting question. I'm once a year in the US and I drive a lot around, unfortunately not in a sports car but in a Lincoln Navigator (usually a black one, Hertz Premium has lots of black Navigators). I drive pretty fast too, of course not as fast as in Germany but probably sometimes too fast for the region I'm in. Never had a problem.
    I think that highway patrols usually are on the lookout for "flashy" cars and yellow is pretty flashy. I mean if you were a police man and you see a yellow Ferrari and a black Navigator one next to each other on the highway and your radar gun shows 105 mph, which car would you stop? I'm not sure if my "theory" really works but for the past 10 years I haven't been stopped for speeding in the US and I never use a radar warner. I don't say I'm perfect and it can always happen but if one has a car which isn't too flashy and if one doesn't exeggarate with speed, especially on straight lines, one can be lucky.

On the other hand: if you want a yellow car, get one. At age 70, you can't drive a yellow car anymore, right?

Quote:
    Justin said:

Justin, this is an interesting question. I'm once a year in the US and I drive a lot around, unfortunately not in a sports car but in a Lincoln Navigator (usually a black one, Hertz Premium has lots of black Navigators). I drive pretty fast too, of course not as fast as in Germany but probably sometimes too fast for the region I'm in. Never had a problem.
    I think that highway patrols usually are on the lookout for "flashy" cars and yellow is pretty flashy. I mean if you were a police man and you see a yellow Ferrari and a black Navigator one next to each other on the highway and your radar gun shows 105 mph, which car would you stop? I'm not sure if my "theory" really works but for the past 10 years I haven't been stopped for speeding in the US and I never use a radar warner. I don't say I'm perfect and it can always happen but if one has a car which isn't too flashy and if one doesn't exeggarate with speed, especially on straight lines, one can be lucky.

On the other hand: if you want a yellow car, get one. At age 70, you can't drive a yellow car anymore, right?

I'm certainly not gonna let the police make me drive an SUV.
    I have no reason whatsoever to drive an SUV.
    I love sports cars and as long as my family life doesn't get in the way, I'll always drive sports cars.
    The police is just a detail to deal with, a big one indeed but it shouldn't get in the way of the passion.
    As a young single man, I cannot think of a single reason why I would drive an SUV! (as in, compared to a sports car, as a sports car lover of course, if you like SUV, then it's another matter).

I'm certainly not gonna let the police make me drive an SUV.
    I have no reason whatsoever to drive an SUV.
    I love sports cars and as long as my family life doesn't get in the way, I'll always drive sports cars.
    The police is just a detail to deal with, a big one indeed but it shouldn't get in the way of the passion.
    As a young single man, I cannot think of a single reason why I would drive an SUV! (as in, compared to a sports car, as a sports car lover of course, if you like SUV, then it's another matter).

Quote:
    Fanch said:

Congratulate yourself for not doing that in Finland:

Finn hit with record speeding fine (CNN.com)

The person in question owns a TT Cayenne, so it's also relevant to this board

Quote:
    Fanch said:

Quote:
    Kimi said:

Hey, RC.

Finland seems to have a worse envy problem than Deutchland, No?

Quote:
    Kimi said:

Hey, RC.

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Do you guys think it might make things hard for me if I choose yellow for my next car? I love the color, but I don't think it sends the right messages to authorities.

Hi, Justin.

I can testify from personal yellow-car experience that it DOES make a difference in these united of states.

The measure of police attraction, in my view, is how often one is selected out of traffic for the instant-on radar speed-inspection treatment. If they pull the trigger (OK, ... push the button) on your car, it means they think you are the prime suspect at that moment. One would like to avoid this characteristic of a vehicle, ... if possible or practical.

Yellow attracts instant-on radar like crazy. So does red. Zenith blue does not. I'm hoping Lapis will continue in the proven tradition of Zenith.

I'm really agonizing over the color selection for my Carrera GT. I am very tempted to go with Fayence with dark grey interior. I just love yellow cars, especially the old Signal Yellow (Porsche color #114) from the late '60s. I realize that it will be a cop magnet, but just the fact that it is a CGT at all would likely be enough provocation. The alternate would be GT silver or Seal grey on the theory that a car colored like the pavement is more difficult to select from the background scene.

Any advice welcomed.

Here's my old Signal Yellow 993TT, now owned by somebody else who had it on display.

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Do you guys think it might make things hard for me if I choose yellow for my next car? I love the color, but I don't think it sends the right messages to authorities.

Hi, Justin.

I can testify from personal yellow-car experience that it DOES make a difference in these united of states.

The measure of police attraction, in my view, is how often one is selected out of traffic for the instant-on radar speed-inspection treatment. If they pull the trigger (OK, ... push the button) on your car, it means they think you are the prime suspect at that moment. One would like to avoid this characteristic of a vehicle, ... if possible or practical.

Yellow attracts instant-on radar like crazy. So does red. Zenith blue does not. I'm hoping Lapis will continue in the proven tradition of Zenith.

I'm really agonizing over the color selection for my Carrera GT. I am very tempted to go with Fayence with dark grey interior. I just love yellow cars, especially the old Signal Yellow (Porsche color #114) from the late '60s. I realize that it will be a cop magnet, but just the fact that it is a CGT at all would likely be enough provocation. The alternate would be GT silver or Seal grey on the theory that a car colored like the pavement is more difficult to select from the background scene.

Any advice welcomed.

Here's my old Signal Yellow 993TT, now owned by somebody else who had it on display.

Remember the Scirocco , esp the 1980-1983 versions? I had one . The C-coupe is that car. even the same price , adjusted for inflation. But , I tell you, the Scirocco probably had nicer interior materials after driving a C-coupe service loaner with the awful wheezing/groaning supercharged 4 banger . ! The now 25 y/o VW was a much nicer car in handling and motor response , also.
    Couldn't have possibly imagined MBZ selling a " Scirocco " type car back then - or Porsche selling more trucks than sports cars in the US. The auto selling world has changed a lot .

Remember the Scirocco , esp the 1980-1983 versions? I had one . The C-coupe is that car. even the same price , adjusted for inflation. But , I tell you, the Scirocco probably had nicer interior materials after driving a C-coupe service loaner with the awful wheezing/groaning supercharged 4 banger . ! The now 25 y/o VW was a much nicer car in handling and motor response , also.
    Couldn't have possibly imagined MBZ selling a " Scirocco " type car back then - or Porsche selling more trucks than sports cars in the US. The auto selling world has changed a lot .

Quote:
    Fanch said:

That really sucks, and unfair if you ask me, they should worry more about poor drivers, DUI's, distractions, etc those are the real causes of accidents, not your regular Porsche driver who speeds above the ridiculous speed limits when conditions are appropiate.
    Anyway, I almost lost my licence once and that was in the U.S. during my college years. Damned laser gun traps! they'd always catcht me speeding, by the time the radar detector cryied "bip!" I was clocked, and again and again... Thank god I live were I live now and I can enjoy driving again

Quote:
    Fanch said:

That really sucks, and unfair if you ask me, they should worry more about poor drivers, DUI's, distractions, etc those are the real causes of accidents, not your regular Porsche driver who speeds above the ridiculous speed limits when conditions are appropiate.
    Anyway, I almost lost my licence once and that was in the U.S. during my college years. Damned laser gun traps! they'd always catcht me speeding, by the time the radar detector cryied "bip!" I was clocked, and again and again... Thank god I live were I live now and I can enjoy driving again

In Antwort auf:
    That really sucks, and unfair if you ask me, they should worry more about poor drivers

I don't wanna sound like your mother, but if you respect the traffic rules, you won't have any problems...

(and BTW: I also think poor drivers should ask themselves first, if they could pay driving too fast...).

Just my oppinion, and of course, not ALL the speed limits seem to make sense, but your posting sounds like you only have fun to drive if you drive really fast, maybe even too fast.

In Antwort auf:
    They'd always catcht me speeding,...Thank god I live were I live now and I can enjoy driving again

BMH

In Antwort auf:
    That really sucks, and unfair if you ask me, they should worry more about poor drivers

I don't wanna sound like your mother, but if you respect the traffic rules, you won't have any problems...

(and BTW: I also think poor drivers should ask themselves first, if they could pay driving too fast...).

Just my oppinion, and of course, not ALL the speed limits seem to make sense, but your posting sounds like you only have fun to drive if you drive really fast, maybe even too fast.

In Antwort auf:
    They'd always catcht me speeding,...Thank god I live were I live now and I can enjoy driving again

BMH

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Hey, RC.

A real "horror story".
    I wonder who makes such laws.

They always "punish" the people who contribute most to a country's economy and welfare, the million + tax payers.
    I don't say that millionaires should get a free ticket but the same laws are there for everyone and so should be the same fines.
    In the german legal system, we have a similar "punishment": if you earn more, your penalty is usually higher based on your income. This is only valid for criminal offenses, thanks god.

BTW: I'm still waiting for the perfect anti-radar, anti-laser, etc. protection. Any ideas, Mike?

I don't want anybody to understand me wrong: if somebody passes a school zone with 70 mph instead of 25, he should get severely punished. Or a guy who recently passed me in the city, 60 kph were legal, I drove at 75 and he passed me at least with 50 kph more and I'm not kidding! At the next red light I saw a young face, probably 18-19 years old and that typical "cool sitting phenomenon", meaning: he sits leaning to a side with that cool looking "I couldn't care more" look on his face, looking pretty funny (not to say ridiculous ). I always see that on young people, no matter which country I go to.

As a youngster I did a lot of stupid things and this is why I know how risky young people drive and usually they don't have a clue what they're doing. A friend of mine was driving with me and a friend at night (no moon!) through the local woods on a deserted country road at around 200 kph(!) with sun glasses(!!!) on. I never was so frigthened, it was an experience I'll never forget. The same guy opened his door at around 30 kph in the city approaching a red light and stepped out(!) the car just out of fun. Of course he fell because 30 kph are still a lot and the car was approaching the red light with me and my other friend and I even can't remember how I stopped it. I could tell you even more crazy things but I don't want people to think that I'm nuts.

The point is: you need a lot of experience to learn driving. Nobody is born as the perfect driver.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Hey, RC.

A real "horror story".
    I wonder who makes such laws.

They always "punish" the people who contribute most to a country's economy and welfare, the million + tax payers.
    I don't say that millionaires should get a free ticket but the same laws are there for everyone and so should be the same fines.
    In the german legal system, we have a similar "punishment": if you earn more, your penalty is usually higher based on your income. This is only valid for criminal offenses, thanks god.

BTW: I'm still waiting for the perfect anti-radar, anti-laser, etc. protection. Any ideas, Mike?

I don't want anybody to understand me wrong: if somebody passes a school zone with 70 mph instead of 25, he should get severely punished. Or a guy who recently passed me in the city, 60 kph were legal, I drove at 75 and he passed me at least with 50 kph more and I'm not kidding! At the next red light I saw a young face, probably 18-19 years old and that typical "cool sitting phenomenon", meaning: he sits leaning to a side with that cool looking "I couldn't care more" look on his face, looking pretty funny (not to say ridiculous ). I always see that on young people, no matter which country I go to.

As a youngster I did a lot of stupid things and this is why I know how risky young people drive and usually they don't have a clue what they're doing. A friend of mine was driving with me and a friend at night (no moon!) through the local woods on a deserted country road at around 200 kph(!) with sun glasses(!!!) on. I never was so frigthened, it was an experience I'll never forget. The same guy opened his door at around 30 kph in the city approaching a red light and stepped out(!) the car just out of fun. Of course he fell because 30 kph are still a lot and the car was approaching the red light with me and my other friend and I even can't remember how I stopped it. I could tell you even more crazy things but I don't want people to think that I'm nuts.

The point is: you need a lot of experience to learn driving. Nobody is born as the perfect driver.

Quote:
    bmh-images said:

Quote:

BMH

I have been driving "legally" since I was 14yrs of age and I'm 31 now, well, I NEVER have caused and accident EVER (and I drive motorbikes AND cars) and even managed to avoid and escape other peoples mistakes that would of involved me in an accidents over all these years thanks to "my driving" (except last year were a drunk driver rear ended me while I was stuck in a traffic jam but was just a slow speed fender bender fortunately) so don't pre-judge me "mom"

Just because I drive fast and follow my own speed limits that my frontal lobes determine to be adecuate doesn't mean I drive "too fast" or recklessly. I drive what is considered in a fast manner but I'm very untolerant of drinking and driving even if its just a simple beer, distractions such as mobile phones while driving, uncivic drivers who for example hog the left lane or don't adecuately maintain their vehicles, or drivers who dedicate the bare minimun of just passing the licence test to developing their driving skills and hit the road, and I don't mean driving fast skills, I mean driving efficiently and safe. I have a clear record and proud of it, and no thanks to the "political" speed limits.

And yes, the faster means more fun at the wheel, thats the point of sportcars unless their are used for "show".

Quote:
    bmh-images said:

Quote:

BMH

I have been driving "legally" since I was 14yrs of age and I'm 31 now, well, I NEVER have caused and accident EVER (and I drive motorbikes AND cars) and even managed to avoid and escape other peoples mistakes that would of involved me in an accidents over all these years thanks to "my driving" (except last year were a drunk driver rear ended me while I was stuck in a traffic jam but was just a slow speed fender bender fortunately) so don't pre-judge me "mom"

Just because I drive fast and follow my own speed limits that my frontal lobes determine to be adecuate doesn't mean I drive "too fast" or recklessly. I drive what is considered in a fast manner but I'm very untolerant of drinking and driving even if its just a simple beer, distractions such as mobile phones while driving, uncivic drivers who for example hog the left lane or don't adecuately maintain their vehicles, or drivers who dedicate the bare minimun of just passing the licence test to developing their driving skills and hit the road, and I don't mean driving fast skills, I mean driving efficiently and safe. I have a clear record and proud of it, and no thanks to the "political" speed limits.

And yes, the faster means more fun at the wheel, thats the point of sportcars unless their are used for "show".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689929 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409425 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255836 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235069 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858176 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774288 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM