Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Test driving an E55 AMG tommorow!!!

Is it possible you can uncover secret info about upcoming
    models???

RC, bail me out in that Brabus thread, that justin won't leave my asss

Quote:
    models???

Secrets? What am I, a secret agent?

Quote:

Bilal, we have a tough audience, maybe one reason why so many people read/view posts/threads but only a few really make posts.
    Justin made some very good points and I'm curious of your answers (you can't play chicken here... ). I think it would make things much easier for you (and me and other Users) if you tell us how old you are and what car you're owning right now. Sometimes there is some misunderstanding.

Quote:
    models???

Secrets? What am I, a secret agent?

Quote:

Bilal, we have a tough audience, maybe one reason why so many people read/view posts/threads but only a few really make posts.
    Justin made some very good points and I'm curious of your answers (you can't play chicken here... ). I think it would make things much easier for you (and me and other Users) if you tell us how old you are and what car you're owning right now. Sometimes there is some misunderstanding.

You're right, 0055.

Well, I have no experience of fast cars, and what constitues a good handling car, but judging by numerous road tests, numerous comparisons, lap times of the Nordschliefe, it seems that Porsche and to a lesser extent BMW can't be beat on handling. The car should be comfortable AND handle, only a Porsche can do this, without wrecking the ride. I am not bothered about slalom times or wet g results, you know that. I just think that Porsche are very good handling cars, the best, without resorting to radical and westfields, which can't be ever called "road" cars. My views are heavily influenced by the auto media, i have no experience of driving fast cars, the fastest car, I ever drove was a E240!

Personally, and In my sincerely honest opinion, once I graduate and have money etc., I want to blow my money on Mercedes-Benz and AMG cars. I don't give a damn about handling or ring times, or slalom results, I don't want just any car, I want a Mercedes-Benz.

You're right, 0055.

Well, I have no experience of fast cars, and what constitues a good handling car, but judging by numerous road tests, numerous comparisons, lap times of the Nordschliefe, it seems that Porsche and to a lesser extent BMW can't be beat on handling. The car should be comfortable AND handle, only a Porsche can do this, without wrecking the ride. I am not bothered about slalom times or wet g results, you know that. I just think that Porsche are very good handling cars, the best, without resorting to radical and westfields, which can't be ever called "road" cars. My views are heavily influenced by the auto media, i have no experience of driving fast cars, the fastest car, I ever drove was a E240!

Personally, and In my sincerely honest opinion, once I graduate and have money etc., I want to blow my money on Mercedes-Benz and AMG cars. I don't give a damn about handling or ring times, or slalom results, I don't want just any car, I want a Mercedes-Benz.

Quote:
    My views are heavily influenced by the auto media, i have no experience of driving fast cars, the fastest car, I ever drove was a E240!

Now this makes sense. Forget about the auto media, they sometimes are nothing more than an advertising tool for car manufacturers.
    You want a Mercedes Benz, no matter how good it drives?
    Bilal, sorry to say that but maybe you should drive a car or two first and then make a decision.
    Most Users here at Rennteam.com own high performance cars (no matter if Porsche, Ferrari, AMG Mercedes or whatever) and some of them even own two or more high performance cars of different brands. That's why we're a tough audience, I warned you before.

Quote:
    My views are heavily influenced by the auto media, i have no experience of driving fast cars, the fastest car, I ever drove was a E240!

Now this makes sense. Forget about the auto media, they sometimes are nothing more than an advertising tool for car manufacturers.
    You want a Mercedes Benz, no matter how good it drives?
    Bilal, sorry to say that but maybe you should drive a car or two first and then make a decision.
    Most Users here at Rennteam.com own high performance cars (no matter if Porsche, Ferrari, AMG Mercedes or whatever) and some of them even own two or more high performance cars of different brands. That's why we're a tough audience, I warned you before.

Oh well.

Anyways, I think the SL55 exhaust was done by Sebring, ww.Sebring.at

Oh well.

Anyways, I think the SL55 exhaust was done by Sebring, ww.Sebring.at

Quote:
    Sounds like you had a great time.

Don't be in a hurry if you don't need a new car right now.
    Wait until the new M5 and the facelifted E55 come out, the M5 should arrive around 2004, the E55 around 2005.
    There is also a strong rumor from various sources that AMG wants to offer a Performace Package (similar to the SL55) for the E55 earliest beginning of next year.
    So waiting a year or two might give you even more options.

I outran with my E55 two 996 Turbo with manual (not Tiptronic!), so no big deal. However, up to a speed of around 220 kph, the acceleration performance is practically absolutely the same, no difference. Over 220 kph I got away but VERY slowly. Still pretty impressive for a 2 ton sedan (my car has been weighted at 1990 kg).

Regarding the brakes: you're right, they feel somehow different, almost "artificial". You get the best brake feel when you brake very hard from high speeds, otherwise the brake feel isn't good.
    The ride is somehow stiff (sport setting 2) but still not what I'd call uncomfortable. There isn't much side roll in turns, not bad for such a heavy car but the steering feels a little bit indirect and therefore "inhibits" handling a little bit. I bet AMG has chosen this setup for safety and comfort reasons but I don't like it too much. "Castration" would be the right word for it.
    I agree, the standard 18'' rims don't look to good on this huge car. 19'' (Style IV) should be standard.
    Keyless Go is great, I didn't want to have it but now I love it. One disadvantage: whenever I drive our family or my wife's car, I try to open them without a key (which isn't possible of course... ) because I got used to Keyless Go so much. Highly recommendable.
    I'd choose Distronic for the US, in Germany it is pretty useless because we have very changing/fluctuating speeds on the Autobahn due to the missing speed limit in most parts of the country.
    The exhaust sound really is a problem, I'll never understand why the SL55 sounds that loud and the E55 doesn't. You can hear that V8 growl but only very subtle. It is a nice sound but not loud enough, right.

What does a performance package mean? Is this something you buy with the car, or is it dealer installed later like a software upgrade? Cna you elaborate a bit? Thanks.

Quote:
    Sounds like you had a great time.

Don't be in a hurry if you don't need a new car right now.
    Wait until the new M5 and the facelifted E55 come out, the M5 should arrive around 2004, the E55 around 2005.
    There is also a strong rumor from various sources that AMG wants to offer a Performace Package (similar to the SL55) for the E55 earliest beginning of next year.
    So waiting a year or two might give you even more options.

I outran with my E55 two 996 Turbo with manual (not Tiptronic!), so no big deal. However, up to a speed of around 220 kph, the acceleration performance is practically absolutely the same, no difference. Over 220 kph I got away but VERY slowly. Still pretty impressive for a 2 ton sedan (my car has been weighted at 1990 kg).

Regarding the brakes: you're right, they feel somehow different, almost "artificial". You get the best brake feel when you brake very hard from high speeds, otherwise the brake feel isn't good.
    The ride is somehow stiff (sport setting 2) but still not what I'd call uncomfortable. There isn't much side roll in turns, not bad for such a heavy car but the steering feels a little bit indirect and therefore "inhibits" handling a little bit. I bet AMG has chosen this setup for safety and comfort reasons but I don't like it too much. "Castration" would be the right word for it.
    I agree, the standard 18'' rims don't look to good on this huge car. 19'' (Style IV) should be standard.
    Keyless Go is great, I didn't want to have it but now I love it. One disadvantage: whenever I drive our family or my wife's car, I try to open them without a key (which isn't possible of course... ) because I got used to Keyless Go so much. Highly recommendable.
    I'd choose Distronic for the US, in Germany it is pretty useless because we have very changing/fluctuating speeds on the Autobahn due to the missing speed limit in most parts of the country.
    The exhaust sound really is a problem, I'll never understand why the SL55 sounds that loud and the E55 doesn't. You can hear that V8 growl but only very subtle. It is a nice sound but not loud enough, right.

What does a performance package mean? Is this something you buy with the car, or is it dealer installed later like a software upgrade? Cna you elaborate a bit? Thanks.

Bilal, I'm not going to be so diplomatic as RC is to you, especially when taking your ignorant and arrogant attitude in some of your posts into account.

How can you expect people to take your statements seriously when you do NOT have any experience with sports cars what so ever?

I don't care how old you are (or lack there of) but as long as you are "reviewing" rookie basing your knowledge and experience on what you read then please don't tell people what is good or what is not.

Bilal, I'm not going to be so diplomatic as RC is to you, especially when taking your ignorant and arrogant attitude in some of your posts into account.

How can you expect people to take your statements seriously when you do NOT have any experience with sports cars what so ever?

I don't care how old you are (or lack there of) but as long as you are "reviewing" rookie basing your knowledge and experience on what you read then please don't tell people what is good or what is not.

Reading is nothing. Driving is everything.

Reading is nothing. Driving is everything.

Suddenly I need to be Micheal Schumacher to express an opinion.

Suddenly I need to be Micheal Schumacher to express an opinion.

Bilal, use this board to build yourself an opinion instead of expressing one you've read or heard. I think there's a very friendly atmosphere here build by people who really enjoy and drive their cars, you can learn a lot from them. Respect this, I wouldn't waste to much bandwith here, dude.

Bilal, use this board to build yourself an opinion instead of expressing one you've read or heard. I think there's a very friendly atmosphere here build by people who really enjoy and drive their cars, you can learn a lot from them. Respect this, I wouldn't waste to much bandwith here, dude.

I've already built opinions, you can see that.

The things is, I may not have any driving experience, and I can see from your points of view that all of you have driven 911's and ferrari's and severely don't agree with me because I'm a "kid". I agree wholeheartedly, the thing is, I am a person of very set opinions, in your speak thats "theories". I don't like these flashy sportscars like Lambo's/ferrari's etc, but I do like Porsche, especially when it comes to handling, since thats the quality they are nearly always talked about. Personally, and I'll reiterate again, I love Mercedes-Benz cars over any other marque, thats MY PERSONAL OPINION.The handling of a Porsche is better than the other cars out there. I NEVER forced it upon anybody, yet as soon as this was written, we get flames left/right and centre. "How old are you" "Write when you have driven one of these cars" "Why do you say that" Its just amazing, and these guys have the nerve to call me a kid? I have done nothing to provoke them, its just ludicrous. Suddenly, you need to have driven 911's all your life to make a statement. Even in the past, you say 911's can't handle, you get flamed, and for the first time I say that Porsche cars CAN handle, its flames all over.

You say this is a friendly board, then how do you explain the above posts?

RC, was rght, may be I should keep opinions to myself and not post, certainly would be hassle free.

I've already built opinions, you can see that.

The things is, I may not have any driving experience, and I can see from your points of view that all of you have driven 911's and ferrari's and severely don't agree with me because I'm a "kid". I agree wholeheartedly, the thing is, I am a person of very set opinions, in your speak thats "theories". I don't like these flashy sportscars like Lambo's/ferrari's etc, but I do like Porsche, especially when it comes to handling, since thats the quality they are nearly always talked about. Personally, and I'll reiterate again, I love Mercedes-Benz cars over any other marque, thats MY PERSONAL OPINION.The handling of a Porsche is better than the other cars out there. I NEVER forced it upon anybody, yet as soon as this was written, we get flames left/right and centre. "How old are you" "Write when you have driven one of these cars" "Why do you say that" Its just amazing, and these guys have the nerve to call me a kid? I have done nothing to provoke them, its just ludicrous. Suddenly, you need to have driven 911's all your life to make a statement. Even in the past, you say 911's can't handle, you get flamed, and for the first time I say that Porsche cars CAN handle, its flames all over.

You say this is a friendly board, then how do you explain the above posts?

RC, was rght, may be I should keep opinions to myself and not post, certainly would be hassle free.

Bilal,

I did not mean to incite so much negativity towards you, but in a sense it creates a good lesson to learn. The reason I began to question you in the Brabus thread is that you proclaimed Porsche to be the manufacturer of the best handling cars on Earth, without even making reference to specific models. It's hard for me to listen to your broad generalizations when you get your information from automotive media. In a sense, these opinions that you have developed aren't your own, but someone else's. When I asked you what you believe constitutes a good handling car, you basically dodged the question and reaffirmed your well known position that "Porsches are the best handling cars".

Compared to some of the members we have on this board, I am a novice to the high performance vehicle world. But I post what I know, not what I've read in a magazine, and stay within my bounds. Rennteam is a place to find information from people who know.

Cheers,
    J

PS: I think it is best we drop this topic and return to business as usual.

Bilal,

I did not mean to incite so much negativity towards you, but in a sense it creates a good lesson to learn. The reason I began to question you in the Brabus thread is that you proclaimed Porsche to be the manufacturer of the best handling cars on Earth, without even making reference to specific models. It's hard for me to listen to your broad generalizations when you get your information from automotive media. In a sense, these opinions that you have developed aren't your own, but someone else's. When I asked you what you believe constitutes a good handling car, you basically dodged the question and reaffirmed your well known position that "Porsches are the best handling cars".

Compared to some of the members we have on this board, I am a novice to the high performance vehicle world. But I post what I know, not what I've read in a magazine, and stay within my bounds. Rennteam is a place to find information from people who know.

Cheers,
    J

PS: I think it is best we drop this topic and return to business as usual.

Quote:

No, don't keep opinions to yourself but try to elaborate them with us. We're here to learn and "teach" and others maybe are here to learn only until they have the experience to "teach" too. Told you...tough audience.

Quote:

No, don't keep opinions to yourself but try to elaborate them with us. We're here to learn and "teach" and others maybe are here to learn only until they have the experience to "teach" too. Told you...tough audience.

Yea you were right

I agree lets put this thing behind us.

Yea you were right

I agree lets put this thing behind us.

RC, do you think you might be able to take some pics when you go to Affalterbach, to AMG? (sorry if you have already stated that you will be takning pics when you go there, don't remember everything?)

RC, do you think you might be able to take some pics when you go to Affalterbach, to AMG? (sorry if you have already stated that you will be takning pics when you go there, don't remember everything?)

Only pics of the showroom and the cars outside, nothing else, otherwise you'll have to answer to Hubertus with hs white cat

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776931 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441608 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262729 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260879 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85144 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5531 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880590 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815766 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM