Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: E55 - New Gearbox Control Unit Installed and More

Quote:
    I went to my car dealer yesterday to install a new "black box" the transmissionsoftware, which was QT:03 as in the third version of the software. And the original read QT:01, the first version of the software. The car improved significantly, its much better and felt faster (strange?). Today suddenly the car switched to 'esp limp mode' and it would only crawl forward and refused to react to gas. After it stood for 10 minutes, it worked fine again. is this coincidence or should I be worried?" Thanks for any help guys!

You have two values on the black box:
    1. HW (hardware version)
    2. SW (software version)

As far as I know, there is only one HW revision, nothing new.
    But there is a new software version available.
    Since the install of the new gearbox unit, a few of the most common electronics problems dissapeared. Might have to do with the network design of the CAN bus.

Quote:
    On my last visit to Affalterbach, I ran into somebody from the US who just picked up his E55 over there (he had german customs license plates). It seems that his wife was German and knew somebody at AMG but I'm not 100% sure about it.
    So maybe there is a possibility to pick up a E55 at AMG directly but not officially?!

Regarding customer service in the US: it isn't AMG's fault, this has something to do with DC. My contact to AMG Germany is pretty satisfactory and I love their customer commitment, honestly. But they're not responsible for the US market as far as I know, it is actually Mercedes Benz USA you have to talk to.

Thanks, RC. Not having a German wife, I am not sure what to do. I did know a lot of MB/BMW people when I was invovled in telematics research. But I lost contact iwth them.

In a sense that is what I was talking about. With my Infiniti, I dealt with Infiniti of America who made life nicer in little ways. Same with a Saab I once had. In the old days, my father dealt with MB and at least got good advice.

Quote:
    On my last visit to Affalterbach, I ran into somebody from the US who just picked up his E55 over there (he had german customs license plates). It seems that his wife was German and knew somebody at AMG but I'm not 100% sure about it.
    So maybe there is a possibility to pick up a E55 at AMG directly but not officially?!

Regarding customer service in the US: it isn't AMG's fault, this has something to do with DC. My contact to AMG Germany is pretty satisfactory and I love their customer commitment, honestly. But they're not responsible for the US market as far as I know, it is actually Mercedes Benz USA you have to talk to.

Thanks, RC. Not having a German wife, I am not sure what to do. I did know a lot of MB/BMW people when I was invovled in telematics research. But I lost contact iwth them.

In a sense that is what I was talking about. With my Infiniti, I dealt with Infiniti of America who made life nicer in little ways. Same with a Saab I once had. In the old days, my father dealt with MB and at least got good advice.

RC, so i got new gearbox unit installed and now, my car is full of electronics problems. how this is possible? what should i say to my dealer? sorry my bad english...

RC, so i got new gearbox unit installed and now, my car is full of electronics problems. how this is possible? what should i say to my dealer? sorry my bad english...

Quote:

This is actually the interesting part: the electronics on the E55 are connected via a CAN/MOST bus, similar to a real network. If one unit doesn't work right, false data packets can travel from one unit to the other and create problems, like on a real computer network.
    We had some very weird experiences with my car:
    my dealer exchanged the APS50 with the COMAND APS and already some problems disappeared but new ones appeared.
    Since they exchanged my gearbox unit, the seat problem (keeping the memory, etc.) dissapeared and the COMAND APS seems to work better too (well, it had itself 4(!) software upgrades).
    To make it short: it is enough that one unit on the network works faulty and you get things messed up.
    Another point regarding the gearbox unit: it learns and adapts. It needs a few hundred km until it works flawless.

And a last point which I observed (maybe not the case in Finland): my E55 doesn't like excessive heat. We have temperatures in the 90s (over 30*C) for many weeks now (the hottest summer in german history) every single day and my car loves temperatures below 20*C, this is at least my personal experience. As soon as temperatures rise, my car feels slower and the gearbox seems to change speeds less quick.

BTW: what problems does the memory of the ECU/gearbox unit of your E55 report? Do you still have the APS50 on your car? (seems that the APS50 is one cause of a lot of problems).

Quote:

This is actually the interesting part: the electronics on the E55 are connected via a CAN/MOST bus, similar to a real network. If one unit doesn't work right, false data packets can travel from one unit to the other and create problems, like on a real computer network.
    We had some very weird experiences with my car:
    my dealer exchanged the APS50 with the COMAND APS and already some problems disappeared but new ones appeared.
    Since they exchanged my gearbox unit, the seat problem (keeping the memory, etc.) dissapeared and the COMAND APS seems to work better too (well, it had itself 4(!) software upgrades).
    To make it short: it is enough that one unit on the network works faulty and you get things messed up.
    Another point regarding the gearbox unit: it learns and adapts. It needs a few hundred km until it works flawless.

And a last point which I observed (maybe not the case in Finland): my E55 doesn't like excessive heat. We have temperatures in the 90s (over 30*C) for many weeks now (the hottest summer in german history) every single day and my car loves temperatures below 20*C, this is at least my personal experience. As soon as temperatures rise, my car feels slower and the gearbox seems to change speeds less quick.

BTW: what problems does the memory of the ECU/gearbox unit of your E55 report? Do you still have the APS50 on your car? (seems that the APS50 is one cause of a lot of problems).

I'm sorry about the delay, but i have had problems with the car the whole time. It doesn't go steady and complains about getting a CAN-bus connection to ECU. My car has APS50-system but not the comand-system, so what do you mean switching the APS50 -> Comand? My dealer is without a clue about my car. im totally down...

I'm sorry about the delay, but i have had problems with the car the whole time. It doesn't go steady and complains about getting a CAN-bus connection to ECU. My car has APS50-system but not the comand-system, so what do you mean switching the APS50 -> Comand? My dealer is without a clue about my car. im totally down...

Quote:

You shouldn't be down: they can't fix it, they have to give you a new car. That simple. Try to contact these guys in the Netherlands:

Mercedes-Benz Customer Assistance Center
    Paul-Henri Spaaklaan 1, NL 6229 EN Maastricht,
    or PO Box 1456, NL 6201 BL Maastricht

Not sure if Finland is on their support list too but if yes, your dealer should have their fax number and eMail address.
    Sorry, I have the data for Germany only.

Quote:

You shouldn't be down: they can't fix it, they have to give you a new car. That simple. Try to contact these guys in the Netherlands:

Not sure if Finland is on their support list too but if yes, your dealer should have their fax number and eMail address.

Quote:
    Quote:

WHAT???? are you serious????? what is this problem? how you know that so well??

Quote:
    Quote:

Quote:

I think you misunderstood me. There is no "known gearbox problem". The CAC (Customer Assistance Center) is the best way to get your problem looked at seriously if your dealer can't help you (or doesn't want to).
    It may take some time but the CAC has a very good reputation.

Quote:

I think you misunderstood me. There is no "known gearbox problem". The CAC (Customer Assistance Center) is the best way to get your problem looked at seriously if your dealer can't help you (or doesn't want to).
    It may take some time but the CAC has a very good reputation.

RC, is there a CAC for the US?

BTW why does this board make me log in twice 9with idnetical names and pswd)?

RC,
    there seems no connection with CAN/ECU problems and new gearbox unit but still, before the gearbox unit was installed, car was running greatly and after that...full of problems. i am just asking you guys to help me (and my dealer) because anyone doesnt know what to do now. sorry my bad english and btw, what is this APS50/comand playing? if you have some time, please tell me something more.

RC,
    there seems no connection with CAN/ECU problems and new gearbox unit but still, before the gearbox unit was installed, car was running greatly and after that...full of problems. i am just asking you guys to help me (and my dealer) because anyone doesnt know what to do now. sorry my bad english and btw, what is this APS50/comand playing? if you have some time, please tell me something more.

Quote:

No, as far as I know the CAC is only available in several European countries.

Can't explain the "double login" problem, do you have more details?

Quote:

No, as far as I know the CAC is only available in several European countries.

Quote:
    RC,

What do you mean by "what is this APS50/COMAND playing"?

Why doesn't your dealer ask for a new gearbox ECU unit?
    Maybe the one you got is defective (hardware, not software).
    When your dealer reads out the fault memory of your car, are there any problems saved in that memory?

The APS 50 caused a lot of trouble in my car.
    After upgrading it to the COMAND, everything seemed to work fine but only after 4(!) COMAND software updates. Now I still have some (very rare!) problems like the COMAND turning itself off or a loud cracking noise when playing music (goes away when engine is turned off and on again) but overall, the COMAND really is a great thing to have.
    Caution: the retrofit offer from DC (if there is any for Finland) is soon expiring (maybe it already did expire... ).

You also know that I had my gearbox ECU unit exchanged which apparently improved things. However it seems that the most important problem (shifting into 4th gear at around 40 kph and not downshifting spontaneously when pressing the throttle by around 1/3) still comes back from time to time. Very strange.

Quote:
    RC,

What do you mean by "what is this APS50/COMAND playing"?

Why doesn't your dealer ask for a new gearbox ECU unit?
    Maybe the one you got is defective (hardware, not software).
    When your dealer reads out the fault memory of your car, are there any problems saved in that memory?

The APS 50 caused a lot of trouble in my car.
    After upgrading it to the COMAND, everything seemed to work fine but only after 4(!) COMAND software updates. Now I still have some (very rare!) problems like the COMAND turning itself off or a loud cracking noise when playing music (goes away when engine is turned off and on again) but overall, the COMAND really is a great thing to have.
    Caution: the retrofit offer from DC (if there is any for Finland) is soon expiring (maybe it already did expire... ).

You also know that I had my gearbox ECU unit exchanged which apparently improved things. However it seems that the most important problem (shifting into 4th gear at around 40 kph and not downshifting spontaneously when pressing the throttle by around 1/3) still comes back from time to time. Very strange.

It is not important. I try ot login. I get a message not recognizing my password. I try again. I get in.

It is not important. I try ot login. I get a message not recognizing my password. I try again. I get in.

Now, my dealer blames ECU-unit. new ECU is coming from Germany now..lets see whats next this is REALLY bad luck or something..how the ECU can just "broke" itself

Now, my dealer blames ECU-unit. new ECU is coming from Germany now..lets see whats next this is REALLY bad luck or something..how the ECU can just "broke" itself

So, after some different lenghty examinations of the car, the Dealer said the ECU-box had failed by itself. Supposedly some soldering failure or something. Does anyone have similar experiences? RC, if I have the APS50 in my car but not the Comand-display, should the dealer do something just in case? Or do you have any other "updates" to suggest? I'm grateful for all info! (longer story with my interpretor)

So, after some different lenghty examinations of the car, the Dealer said the ECU-box had failed by itself. Supposedly some soldering failure or something. Does anyone have similar experiences? RC, if I have the APS50 in my car but not the Comand-display, should the dealer do something just in case? Or do you have any other "updates" to suggest? I'm grateful for all info! (longer story with my interpretor)

Never heard of a E55 engine ECU failure but it can happen and it shouldn't happen. Only strange thing is why this happened after the gearbox ECU unit exchange.
    Wait for the new engine ECU unit to arrive from Germany (needs to be programmed especially for your car, may take a few days) and give us some feedback.

Regarding the APS50: at least get the latest software update available. The V 2.1 not only includes new navigational data but also a OS update. Bugs are still there though.

I'll be at AMG in Affalterbach next month, so maybe I can find out more. Unfortunately they're not very willing to give detailled information and the official support for this non-commercial forum has been denied completely.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765954 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437531 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261510 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258348 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82887 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5337 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877719 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810109 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM