Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Picked up my new E55 AMG-incredible machine

Today I finally picked up my 996 Turbo substitute (well, not really ), the Mercedes E55 AMG.
    I had a pretty loaded day today and I can't go into details right now but here are two pics from the pickup and one short comment: this car is a blast and it is incredible how refined it is for such a heavy weight limousine. You have to drive it to believe it, with the Sport 2 suspension setup it feels like a 996 without M030. Stiff and no sideroll at all. Nothing! Unbelievable. The steering however could be somehow more direct but it is almost as good as in a regular 996. I don't know what those car magazines did when they tested the car (probably they used the standard suspension setup which adapts automatically) but I did some pretty nasty things today with this car and all I can tell is: impressive. A more detailled driving report and more pictures soon to come.

Congrats!!! again. I like the color (NM)

nm

Congrats!!! again. I like the color (NM)

nm

Re: Picked up my new E55 AMG-incredible machine

Congratulations! I love the car. It sounds like you will have lots of fun with it. Be careful!

Congratulations! I love the car. It sounds like you will have lots of fun with it. Be careful!

Congrats RC! The car looks wonderful debadged.

Congrats RC! The car looks wonderful debadged.

Congrats man!!! Test drove the car and i know what are you talking about!!:) I was pretty surprised too that there's no BODY roll at all, enjoy and post some more pics and videos!!!!

Congrats man!!! Test drove the car and i know what are you talking about!!:) I was pretty surprised too that there's no BODY roll at all, enjoy and post some more pics and videos!!!!

Congratulations! You chose the right AMG color.

Congratulations! You chose the right AMG color.

Congrats!

Felicitations Christian!
    Great looking car!!!
    More pics please!
    Fanch.

Congrats!

Felicitations Christian!
    Great looking car!!!
    More pics please!
    Fanch.

WOW, what a beautiful car RC, have fun with it and tell us more about this amazing car.

J.Seven

WOW, what a beautiful car RC, have fun with it and tell us more about this amazing car.

J.Seven

Re: congrats, RC!

very classy! it's really interesting what you say about the car feeling stiff and like a standard 996 -- my experience with the SL 55 AMG was quite different, but maybe i just pressed the wrong buttons

PS. have mercy if you spot any porsches out there on the autobahn

very classy! it's really interesting what you say about the car feeling stiff and like a standard 996 -- my experience with the SL 55 AMG was quite different, but maybe i just pressed the wrong buttons

PS. have mercy if you spot any porsches out there on the autobahn

Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate your wishes.
    I know the E55 is no sports car but after driving it with an adjusted suspension setting, as recommended by a Mercedes engineer, I just love it.
    When I testdrove two E55 cars, I left the suspension setup to automatic, didn't change anything.
    Now I drive with Sport Setting 2 and I love it. As you can see on the pictures, the car goes pretty low with that setting.
    As I mentioned before, no sideroll at all. Nothing. Incredible.

To zzboba: I testdrove a SL55 a while ago and I was disappointed too. It felt heavy, somehow a little bit sportier than my wife's SLK 32 but not by much. The E55 is a different story but maybe because I've chosen the Sport Setting 2 on the Airmatic DC as somebody I met at my dealership recommended. The only thing I still don't like too much is the steering, it turns too light (not necessarily not "direct" enough) which reduces the sporty feel of the suspension setup. When I visited my Porsche dealer today, the mechanics were pretty impressed with the car.
    I'm impressed too, honestly.

BTW: I know...most people buying a new car are very impressed, love it, adore it, bla bla bla...but people who know me well know that I'm not somebody who doesn't make complaints if I don't like something. Right now I'm so impressed with the E55 that I barely find words to tell how I feel. The weight difference between the E55 and the SL55 might play a role too (AMG officially claims 1835 kg for the E55 and 1955 kg for the SL55...120 kg less for the E55).
    I'll try to convince CR (who is a declared Mercedes hater ) to testdrive a E55 and give his comments. I'm pretty sure he'll love this car.

Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate your wishes.
    I know the E55 is no sports car but after driving it with an adjusted suspension setting, as recommended by a Mercedes engineer, I just love it.
    When I testdrove two E55 cars, I left the suspension setup to automatic, didn't change anything.
    Now I drive with Sport Setting 2 and I love it. As you can see on the pictures, the car goes pretty low with that setting.
    As I mentioned before, no sideroll at all. Nothing. Incredible.

To zzboba: I testdrove a SL55 a while ago and I was disappointed too. It felt heavy, somehow a little bit sportier than my wife's SLK 32 but not by much. The E55 is a different story but maybe because I've chosen the Sport Setting 2 on the Airmatic DC as somebody I met at my dealership recommended. The only thing I still don't like too much is the steering, it turns too light (not necessarily not "direct" enough) which reduces the sporty feel of the suspension setup. When I visited my Porsche dealer today, the mechanics were pretty impressed with the car.
    I'm impressed too, honestly.

BTW: I know...most people buying a new car are very impressed, love it, adore it, bla bla bla...but people who know me well know that I'm not somebody who doesn't make complaints if I don't like something. Right now I'm so impressed with the E55 that I barely find words to tell how I feel. The weight difference between the E55 and the SL55 might play a role too (AMG officially claims 1835 kg for the E55 and 1955 kg for the SL55...120 kg less for the E55).
    I'll try to convince CR (who is a declared Mercedes hater ) to testdrive a E55 and give his comments. I'm pretty sure he'll love this car.

Sport setting 2

RC,
    Could you tell me more about this please?
    I didn't know there was such an option.
    Is it through AMG only?
    On our SL500 and S600, the only suspension related button I know is the ABC button which prevents body roll a bit more than normal settings.
    But your option sounds more focused.
    Thanks,
    Fanch.

Sport setting 2

RC,
    Is it through AMG only?
    On our SL500 and S600, the only suspension related button I know is the ABC button which prevents body roll a bit more than normal settings.
    Thanks,
    Fanch.

Oh man,

Black looks really good on the E55.

Tell me more about the top speed adaptation, anything changed in term of suspension setup? How's the power compare to the E55 without top speed adaptation. I heard from a car magazine (Autocar) , remove the 250kph limiter will unleash more torque. is that true?

I also have been thinking about getting a E55 for daily driver. Congrat... look really nice!

Oh man,

Black looks really good on the E55.

Tell me more about the top speed adaptation, anything changed in term of suspension setup? How's the power compare to the E55 without top speed adaptation. I heard from a car magazine (Autocar) , remove the 250kph limiter will unleash more torque. is that true?

I also have been thinking about getting a E55 for daily driver. Congrat... look really nice!

Re: Sport setting 2

Quote:
    RC,
    Is it through AMG only?
    Thanks,
    Fanch.

Francois, the E55 has the Airmatic DC and no ABC. The airmatic is an air suspension with semi-active control.
    There are different settings possible:
    1. automatic (standard)
    2. comfort setting
    3. sport setting 1
    4. sport setting 2 (which lowers the car by at least 15 mm)
    There are also two ride height settings possible:
    1. automatic
    2. higher

My enthusiasm is still high but there is also a little set back.
    Yesterday I had the chance to drive the E55 really hard.
    As soon as you take a sharp turn very fast (I'm talking about 80-90 mph), the rear tires seem to be at their limit and start to loose traction (at least this is what it felt like). Also the rear suspension doesn't seem to be able to cope anymore and it feels very strange. This probably has to do with the fact that the car is heavy (surprisingly, the ESP didn't come on). But...my 996 Turbo showed more understeer and side roll (and I had the H&R coilover kit) and this is somehow surprising. If one hasn't race ambitions, the E55 can be a damn fast car. But I suppose on the track, the excessive weight would create serious tire (and probably brake) problems.
    My short conclusion (a testdrive report will follow): great street racer, unbelievable for a limousine but when it comes to hard track racing, forget about it.

Re: Sport setting 2

Quote:
    RC,
    Is it through AMG only?
    Thanks,
    Fanch.

Francois, the E55 has the Airmatic DC and no ABC. The airmatic is an air suspension with semi-active control.
    There are different settings possible:
    1. automatic (standard)
    2. comfort setting
    3. sport setting 1
    4. sport setting 2 (which lowers the car by at least 15 mm)
    There are also two ride height settings possible:
    1. automatic
    2. higher

My enthusiasm is still high but there is also a little set back.
    Yesterday I had the chance to drive the E55 really hard.
    As soon as you take a sharp turn very fast (I'm talking about 80-90 mph), the rear tires seem to be at their limit and start to loose traction (at least this is what it felt like). Also the rear suspension doesn't seem to be able to cope anymore and it feels very strange. This probably has to do with the fact that the car is heavy (surprisingly, the ESP didn't come on). But...my 996 Turbo showed more understeer and side roll (and I had the H&R coilover kit) and this is somehow surprising. If one hasn't race ambitions, the E55 can be a damn fast car. But I suppose on the track, the excessive weight would create serious tire (and probably brake) problems.
    My short conclusion (a testdrive report will follow): great street racer, unbelievable for a limousine but when it comes to hard track racing, forget about it.

Re: Sport setting 2...forgot to add

I forgot to add that I drive (as recommended by the same person) the following tire pressure:
    2.5 bar front tires and 3.1 bar rear tires.
    This still is within specs but at the upper end.
    For comfort ride seekers not really an option but in conjunction with the sport setting 2, it is the perfect setup.

I forgot to add that I drive (as recommended by the same person) the following tire pressure:
    2.5 bar front tires and 3.1 bar rear tires.
    This still is within specs but at the upper end.
    For comfort ride seekers not really an option but in conjunction with the sport setting 2, it is the perfect setup.

Your car looks beautiful! Congratulations!

Your car looks beautiful! Congratulations!

RC what do you think, will the performance change if you put 275 or 285 at the back? will it improve acceleration from 0 - 100 ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690446 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409726 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255966 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235261 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858379 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774654 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM