Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: S65 AMG

I'd pick a 400hp range rover over normal luxury suv (meaning porsche, audi, or bmw).

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Thought that an S500 4Matic was offered in US...and I presume an S550 4Matic will be offered in new iteration...

Would appreciate any feedback you guys in Germany have on new S-Class to-date...seems to be a tech guy's dream sedan w/all the new safety and comfort innovations (and Dieter Z seems like a quality-focused exec)....have many pals getting new S550, 600 and 65s once released into US mkt.....seems to be a favored family man's car in SF (where temp rarely goes below 50ish degs F)....

So, you'd pick an Audi A8 W12 SWB over a Cayenne for safety and driving pleasure in Euro/E US winter driving? I thought Cayenne may be optimum choice for those conds.....is the SUV rollover risk and Cayenne's throttle hesitation issue what causes it to lose to Audi in your view?

You are right: they do offer 4matic for the large V8 but, unfortunately, not for the V12 or AMG models.

In terms of technological leadership of the new S class I was under exactly the same impression as you are - until I read the first tests in German car magazines.

It seems that the car is good, but not as good as I have expected. For example, in a recent AutoZeitung test the A8 W12 wone against the S600 (primarily due to better handling while the Mercedes is more comfortable)!

However, I have to admit that I have not driven the new S class yet.

Regarding the Cayenne: I am a friend of larger limousines when it comes to long distance travelling. Firstly, the A8 is more descrete as the Cayenne in terms of looks; secondly, fuel consumption of the A8 is much lower while speed is as high or higher as in a Cayenne turbo.

For example, I calculated an average fuel consumption of ca. 16l/100km for the A8 W12 SWB. I would assume an average fuel consumption of around 25l/100km for a Cayenne turbo driven at the same pace...

In addition, I am under the impression that the Audi offers a slightly better passive safety level than the Cayenne: In the end, it is the top-of-the-range product of a leading car producer, desgined to compete with the best (S class, 7 series).

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Thought that an S500 4Matic was offered in US...and I presume an S550 4Matic will be offered in new iteration...

Would appreciate any feedback you guys in Germany have on new S-Class to-date...seems to be a tech guy's dream sedan w/all the new safety and comfort innovations (and Dieter Z seems like a quality-focused exec)....have many pals getting new S550, 600 and 65s once released into US mkt.....seems to be a favored family man's car in SF (where temp rarely goes below 50ish degs F)....

So, you'd pick an Audi A8 W12 SWB over a Cayenne for safety and driving pleasure in Euro/E US winter driving? I thought Cayenne may be optimum choice for those conds.....is the SUV rollover risk and Cayenne's throttle hesitation issue what causes it to lose to Audi in your view?

You are right: they do offer 4matic for the large V8 but, unfortunately, not for the V12 or AMG models.

In terms of technological leadership of the new S class I was under exactly the same impression as you are - until I read the first tests in German car magazines.

It seems that the car is good, but not as good as I have expected. For example, in a recent AutoZeitung test the A8 W12 wone against the S600 (primarily due to better handling while the Mercedes is more comfortable)!

Regarding the Cayenne: I am a friend of larger limousines when it comes to long distance travelling. Firstly, the A8 is more descrete as the Cayenne in terms of looks; secondly, fuel consumption of the A8 is much lower while speed is as high or higher as in a Cayenne turbo.

For example, I calculated an average fuel consumption of ca. 16l/100km for the A8 W12 SWB. I would assume an average fuel consumption of around 25l/100km for a Cayenne turbo driven at the same pace...

In addition, I am under the impression that the Audi offers a slightly better passive safety level than the Cayenne: In the end, it is the top-of-the-range product of a leading car producer, desgined to compete with the best (S class, 7 series).

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Thx, MKSGR...always appreciate your perspectives

You've sparked my curiousity....I'll have to go test-drive an A8....have a couple of pals getting new S65's this summer, so I look forward to test-driving those and playing w/all its tech systems for a few hrs (and I'm intrigued by the new AMG brakes and AMG suspension software; 600s tend to be "programmed" for more sedate limo use in places like Manhattan where safety/comfort vs potholes and errant cabs is more valued than >70MPH capabs or handling capabilities....a large % of NYC/London 600s just ferry their owners around traffic-clogged city streets and head to/fro the airport )....

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

You've sparked my curiousity....I'll have to go test-drive an A8....have a couple of pals getting new S65's this summer, so I look forward to test-driving those and playing w/all its tech systems for a few hrs (and I'm intrigued by the new AMG brakes and AMG suspension software; 600s tend to be "programmed" for more sedate limo use in places like Manhattan where safety/comfort vs potholes and errant cabs is more valued than >70MPH capabs or handling capabilities....a large % of NYC/London 600s just ferry their owners around traffic-clogged city streets and head to/fro the airport )....

MKSGR, funny how you seem to perceive Audi as lower profile than S-Class in Germany....interesting cultural diffces vs US...my sense is that in tech/financial businesses in SF or financial business in NYC/Greenwich, even a non-car guy who's fairly "senior" in the business would be viewed as something of an oddball if driving an Audi/BMW 7-Series....90%+ of the affluent non-car guys I know in NYC/SF seem to reflexively get a new S-Class/CL (and Cayenne is a very popular winter vehicle in Greenwich) so no one ridicules their choice of car and they look respectable at the office pkg garage, etc....

MKSGR, funny how you seem to perceive Audi as lower profile than S-Class in Germany....interesting cultural diffces vs US...my sense is that in tech/financial businesses in SF or financial business in NYC/Greenwich, even a non-car guy who's fairly "senior" in the business would be viewed as something of an oddball if driving an Audi/BMW 7-Series....90%+ of the affluent non-car guys I know in NYC/SF seem to reflexively get a new S-Class/CL (and Cayenne is a very popular winter vehicle in Greenwich) so no one ridicules their choice of car and they look respectable at the office pkg garage, etc....

Quote:
    VKSF said:

I am highly interested in your impressions of your A8 test drive

P.S.: If possible, please try to get the SWB version of the A8 W12...

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Honestly, I think that this cultural difference you are describing is a major factor in explaining the strenth of the US economy: In the US financial success has a very positive conotation whereas in Germany you nearly have to be ashamed of making (and spending) money...

It may sound funny, but: A major reason why I like the design of the new 997TT is that - if ordered in black as my current 996TTS - the car looks 99% similar to my current car. Most business partners will not even recognize that I bought a new one

Strange but true...

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Honestly, I think that this cultural difference you are describing is a major factor in explaining the strenth of the US economy: In the US financial success has a very positive conotation whereas in Germany you nearly have to be ashamed of making (and spending) money...

It may sound funny, but: A major reason why I like the design of the new 997TT is that - if ordered in black as my current 996TTS - the car looks 99% similar to my current car. Most business partners will not even recognize that I bought a new one

Strange but true...

Phwoar AMG POWER.

Phwoar AMG POWER.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    New York City seems to be the mecca for S's and 7 series - so much that no one really pays attention to them here at all...

Must be nice to get chauffered around daily in an S55

Aw come on, AJ, I've never heard of a "model"/"supermodel" who'd pass up a guy (no matter how old/paunchy) w/his own S65 and driver ferrying him around NYC...even in NYC, S65's following guys around are fairly uncommon.....even in front of the "power" restaurants/nightclubs.....lots of car svc blk Lincolns and S430s w/100K+ mis and non-English spkg, directionless drivers, but not many new S65s....

VKSF,

Nice to hear from you again...yeah I suppose an AGING model/supermodel won't pass them up

If a girl gets out of a club and walks towards the S65 when there is a 911 Turbo in front of it, I would have to say she's not my type .. she'd be a little too "conservative" for my tastes

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    New York City seems to be the mecca for S's and 7 series - so much that no one really pays attention to them here at all...

Aw come on, AJ, I've never heard of a "model"/"supermodel" who'd pass up a guy (no matter how old/paunchy) w/his own S65 and driver ferrying him around NYC...even in NYC, S65's following guys around are fairly uncommon.....even in front of the "power" restaurants/nightclubs.....lots of car svc blk Lincolns and S430s w/100K+ mis and non-English spkg, directionless drivers, but not many new S65s....

VKSF,

Nice to hear from you again...yeah I suppose an AGING model/supermodel won't pass them up

If a girl gets out of a club and walks towards the S65 when there is a 911 Turbo in front of it, I would have to say she's not my type .. she'd be a little too "conservative" for my tastes

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

VKSF,

AJ, if I had to live in NYC again (I did my time there already ), I'd get an S65 and driver to follow me around town (no valet pkg in front of Daniel/LeBernardin/PerSe, etc and the key Midtown office bldgs don't have undgd pkg ); it's simply the most efficient/safe way to get around Manhattan...and I'd keep a house and my cars in SF/LA to enjoy my 996TTS/430 on appropriate twisties/fwys (the curves up in Westchester/Fairfield are kinda lame vs CA and anything further makes for a nauseatingly painful drive back through the scenic Bronx to get back to Manhattan )....last I chkd, new "models"/"supermodels" keep being produced every yr; most of 'em have very little $$$ (recreational drugs can be expensive ); and they routinely fly commercial (good thing air fares tend to stay cheap) to visit "affluent" friends/donors in NYC/LV/LA/London/Paris/MC/SF, etc etc.....sounds like definition of commodity to me...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

VKSF,

AJ, if I had to live in NYC again (I did my time there already ), I'd get an S65 and driver to follow me around town (no valet pkg in front of Daniel/LeBernardin/PerSe, etc and the key Midtown office bldgs don't have undgd pkg ); it's simply the most efficient/safe way to get around Manhattan...and I'd keep a house and my cars in SF/LA to enjoy my 996TTS/430 on appropriate twisties/fwys (the curves up in Westchester/Fairfield are kinda lame vs CA and anything further makes for a nauseatingly painful drive back through the scenic Bronx to get back to Manhattan )....last I chkd, new "models"/"supermodels" keep being produced every yr; most of 'em have very little $$$ (recreational drugs can be expensive ); and they routinely fly commercial (good thing air fares tend to stay cheap) to visit "affluent" friends/donors in NYC/LV/LA/London/Paris/MC/SF, etc etc.....sounds like definition of commodity to me...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Strange but true...

Totally understand...even within US, much difference in which cars won't raise eyebrows depending upon which region of US/which industry/old-money vs new-money/tech or financial money vs other, etc etc....SF's Peninsula and NYC's Greenwich are prob more culturally similar to Germany in terms of high-end car culture....lots of affluent engineers/quant finance types who actually enjoy performance cars (rather than just wrapping themselves around a badge); and guys who like to maintain a relatively anonymous profile while enjoying their toys....in fact, I'd argue SF is prob most concentrated mkt in world for sales of new high-end F/P/Merc....but even in a jaded region like SF, non-car-oriented people "notice" when a guy is casually commuting to office on a rainy day in his 612/65/996TTS, etc.....

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Strange but true...

Totally understand...even within US, much difference in which cars won't raise eyebrows depending upon which region of US/which industry/old-money vs new-money/tech or financial money vs other, etc etc....SF's Peninsula and NYC's Greenwich are prob more culturally similar to Germany in terms of high-end car culture....lots of affluent engineers/quant finance types who actually enjoy performance cars (rather than just wrapping themselves around a badge); and guys who like to maintain a relatively anonymous profile while enjoying their toys....in fact, I'd argue SF is prob most concentrated mkt in world for sales of new high-end F/P/Merc....but even in a jaded region like SF, non-car-oriented people "notice" when a guy is casually commuting to office on a rainy day in his 612/65/996TTS, etc.....

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Strange but true...

Ironically, know a couple of London hedgies/car nuts who have bought houses in Munich region to keep their more interesting cars for convenient autobahn blitzes and runs up into the mtn twisties....all within easy strike range into N Italy/S France, etc ......hope Munich's car culture is more like SF....the rest of Germany sounds like some version of the US Midwest ...where lots of guys have assets, but need to live modestly in their home regions and buy lavish secondary houses and keep their toys in PalmBeach/LA/Phoenix, etc...away from jealous eyes of neighbors, competitors, customers, employees, etc in their home region.....

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Strange but true...

Ironically, know a couple of London hedgies/car nuts who have bought houses in Munich region to keep their more interesting cars for convenient autobahn blitzes and runs up into the mtn twisties....all within easy strike range into N Italy/S France, etc ......hope Munich's car culture is more like SF....the rest of Germany sounds like some version of the US Midwest ...where lots of guys have assets, but need to live modestly in their home regions and buy lavish secondary houses and keep their toys in PalmBeach/LA/Phoenix, etc...away from jealous eyes of neighbors, competitors, customers, employees, etc in their home region.....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    .....hope Munich's car culture is more like SF....

You can bet on this Munich is indeed slightly different from the rest of Germany.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    .....hope Munich's car culture is more like SF....

You can bet on this Munich is indeed slightly different from the rest of Germany.

Quote:
    VKSF said:

If I had to be driven around town I'd choose a Bentley. FYI I think we both know the Bronx is anything but scenic (unless you are passing by Yankee Stadium)! LOL

I would prefer a sedan crossing the Bronx to get to the Taconic/Sprain Parkway -- I truly get motion sickness sometimes going across I-95 in my P, some times I feel like I'm becoming sterile!!!

I don't have a problem parking my vehicle in front of Daniel btw

Maybe during the summer or next time you visit NY - ask your S65 driver to hit some twisties on the Bronx River Parkway - it should be a fun and um... involving uhh.. experience for your sedan.

Speaking of commodities - I do not trade on the commodities desk yet ... LOL

Quote:
    VKSF said:

If I had to be driven around town I'd choose a Bentley. FYI I think we both know the Bronx is anything but scenic (unless you are passing by Yankee Stadium)! LOL

I would prefer a sedan crossing the Bronx to get to the Taconic/Sprain Parkway -- I truly get motion sickness sometimes going across I-95 in my P, some times I feel like I'm becoming sterile!!!

I don't have a problem parking my vehicle in front of Daniel btw

Maybe during the summer or next time you visit NY - ask your S65 driver to hit some twisties on the Bronx River Parkway - it should be a fun and um... involving uhh.. experience for your sedan.

Speaking of commodities - I do not trade on the commodities desk yet ... LOL

AJ, trust me, during my "penance" in NYC, I drove roads you described ....again, all kinda lame vs stuff within 30 mins of SF's fin dt/LA's Westside....and, unlike NYC, our key urban fwys (e.g., 280 btwn SF and Woodside move about 30MPH+ faster than any fwy in NYC region...and cops don't hide in bushes looking for speeders doing 70MPH or some other "unsafe" speed... )......but the big reason I'd get a driver and limo for NYC (choose your favorite limo) is that, given the wonderful weather and road topography/speed enforcement of NYC region, not much else to do in NYC except work 15hr/day and go to great restaurants and bars/clubs at night ....though I enjoy great Bordeaux and single-malts as much (or more) than the next guy, I prefer to have a sober, competent driver drive me around town in a safe, comfortable limo....

Interestingly, one of my neighbors in SF has adopted an NYC-like approach...he's a tech guy who's into cars (buys 2 copies of every new F; one to drive and one to store for display); has an S65 and driver for his daily 45mi+ each way commute to SilicVy (analogous, though faster, than a NYC-Greenwich hedgie commute) and for following him around SF for dinner, etc....but this guy drives his Enzo, 430, etc for wkend drives up in the Woodside mtn twisties (a richer man's version of the N Westchester hills).....

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Visited my P dealer this wkend....only W12 avail is being driven by dealer owner, but I've been promised a test drive in next few days...will provide my impress post-drive.

Understand the dynamic advantages of a SWB version...but primary reason most guys in SF get a limo is to have a sedan w/enough rear seat room for colleagues/self to be able to comfortably work phone/email/Bloomberg/review paperwork, etc during SF-SilicVy trips and btwn mtgs....so prob only fair and relevant comparo for urban US commuter duty is LWB versions of Merc vs Audi, etc....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781286 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442671 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263403 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261748 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85870 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5939 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881500 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819162 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM