Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sport Seats v Adaptive Sport Seats

I'm getting ready to finally finalize my order!

I'm going to order either the adaptive sport seats ( also known as the A.S.S. ) or non- adaptive (regular) sports. The sport seats fit me great- so either would be awesome! What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of both options???

How much weight savings is there with the regular sport seats? One dealer said a little over 100 lbs. Is that about right?

I'm just over 6'6" , so a benefit of the reg sport seats would be about an inch of extra headroom ( due to no seat motor). I do fit fine without the extra head room but it would be nice to have even more . Also, the weight savings is a consideration because I'm ordering a C4S Cab , already the heavyweight of the 997 models. I'm going to order the PCCB, also in part due to the weight savings. IS the lumbar support sufficient in the regular sports during a very long drive?

I would like the setting options of the adaptives, although it's not crucial since I'm going to be the only driver( 99.9999% of the time ) and the lumbar support/ adjustment may be very nice ( or necessary ?) to have too.

Sorry for the long post! Your input is greatly appreciated!

Re: Sport Seats v Adaptive Sport Seats

The ASS & the SS are the exact same seat/design as far as I know , for me it would be the ASS becuase you can easily adjust while in motion and its more precise , I would not give a damn about the extra weight cause all these worrys about added weight is silly to the point why "why dont we just all go on diets" , this should not be a concern for us normal drivers..

Lumbar opinions , I will leave that to someone who's used it..

Good luck bud..

throt...

I have had three 997's, the first with standard seats and the subsequent two with Sports Seats. The regular sports seats are superb, I'm 6'4. The cost of the adaptive Sports Seats in the UK is Pounds1680 but only Pounds257 for the Std sports Seats.there is no way that I could justify that extra cost and the Std sports seats are perfect for me.
    Hope this is of some help.

When I was looking I felt the ASS/SS offered so much more lateral support than the standards but agreed at a price..

throt..

Sorry Persuader , so you have got the optional SS .
    I re-read your post .
    I was referring to the Standard seats that come as standard with the vehicle..

Lol .

throt..

too much money for nothing..standard sport seats are perfect!!!!

Buy what you want, there should be no reason to scrimp on comfort and convenience.

This will help:

Oh, besides electric convenience, notice there's no lumbar, no side cusion adjustment and no seat recline on plain ol' sport seats.

MMD, isn't electric seat recline standard on ALL the seat types? I thought it was.

Lumbar support is great to have if you need it. Make sure that whatever seat you choose is wide enough across your shoulders. Never wear a jacket when trying out seats. You need to be comfortable when driving in a shirt.

Adaptive Sports Seats is a must have in my opinion - SO comfortable for ALL circumstances! They hold you SO well with the side cushion adjustments.

Plus I have just found a great use for the memory 3 settings:

1 - For normal driving
    2 - Gives my other-half hope that one day she will get to drive it too!
    3 - Same as #1, but the seat fully back, for more leg room getting in/out easier when parked in my extra tight garage!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    MMD, isn't electric seat recline standard on ALL the seat types? I thought it was.

The seat BACK recline, yes it is standardly electric on ALL seats.

The seat cushion (what you sit on) is only available in electric, and is only avail in A.S.S. and in the Electric Seat option for to standard seats. No manual seat cushion recline is avail.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Adaptive Sports Seats is a must have in my opinion - SO comfortable for ALL circumstances!

I agree 100 percent. At some point in our lives (unless you're a professional athelete in tip top physical condition) we should consider moving comfort and convenience higher on our list of priorities!

My dealer has not had any vehicles with ASS to try out. I went with the standard seats with power adjustment for my order since they seem to have a good blend of comfort and support. Still would've liked to have tried the ASS though. Too late to change my order...I think.

I have a golden rule when I specify any new car:

Most options on the list are negotiable, but I always get the best seats, with all the extras and adjustments. I don't allow myself to compromise on that.

Therefore I'm getting adaptive seats with heating. I've tried them and they're fantastic. You spend all your time in the car sitting down, after all.

I think the seats in the 997 are all comfortable; they're basically the exact same basic seat. Porsche is very proud of the new 997 seats compared to the 996 ones. IOW, if you're a 20 yearold you could sit in any 997 seat for eight hours straight. I got the ASS seats because I'm mid 40s and need a little adjustment now and then to keep the circulation going, so getting the max number of adjustments is good idea. Plus I don't want to wear out my fingers so I want the adjustments to be electric.

MMD, thks for the factory lit excerpt, forgive my density though-- Anyone who knows, do the inflating Adaptive Sport Seats' side bolsters enter into the memory settings?

I know on my standard P15 power seats that memory stores: lumbar, backrest recline, seat cushion recline, fore/aft.

I have the adaptives. Overprices IMHO; I'd get the sports if I were to order a new S (I bought one of the launch cars used).

Quote:
    Damian said:
    MMD, thks for the factory lit excerpt, forgive my density though-- Anyone who knows, do the inflating Adaptive Sport Seats' side bolsters enter into the memory settings?

I'd say no because if you check this detail it's not mentioned for side bolsters.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Damian said:

I'd say no because if you check this detail it's not mentioned for side bolsters.

Thanks I was lost in the matrix.

I tried both, adpative and regular sport and couldn't justify going with the adaptive seats. I'll be the only person driving and the lumbar adjustment, IMO is useless.

Lumbar support is very important. Lack of it or having it in the wrong place is the first step toward back discomfort or pain.

Congrats on your purchase . Before ordering my car I tried the SS and the ASS, I decided to go for the SS because I could not justify the price difference. When I was given the chance to take delivery of a cancelled order I jumped on the ocasion. The car had ASS and during the last 4 months and +10,300 km of driving I can confirm that IMHO they are not worth the extra money. I hope it helps.

I used to think A.S.S. was not worth the money. Now I look at it this way. A.S.S. costs $2695 since I have full leather. Manual sport seat is $400. I look at the difference of $2295 as $1550 for power seats and $745 for the electric side bolsters. If you are willing to pay for the power seats if you had the confort seats, then the extra $$$ for the electric side bolsters is not so bad. I said about $375 for me to have electric side bolsters and $375 for my friends in the passenger seat to say WOW awesome car.

I got the adaptives. In retrospect, nit-picking over the option prices on a 997 is a bit like complaining that they charge extra for celery at Hooters. You're already paying a stupid amount of money for beer and wings, so you may as well just get drunk, be happy, and have a damn stalk of celery!!!

Anyhow, I'm a nut when it comes to getting my seat position and adjustments "just so", and I lose my mind if somebody inadvertantly changes it. Without a memory seat option, I'm constantly thinking "did somebody touch my seat buttons?? Something feels different....is something different, or is it just me?.....". Drives me crazy. Thank goodness for memory seating...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    memory seating...

Lol . oh yes we forgot this handy feature..

throt...

Geez, guys. My wife ordered this leather lounge chair for the TV room. Came from Fraaaance and cost us$3800. Just ONE frickin chair for the house. What's nice about it is if it's uncomfortable you can get up and walk around or go sit somewhere else. Not so with your car seats.

Aside from the best driver comfort you can get by having the 'ASS' seats, the FIRST thing people always say to me when they get into the passenger seat of my car is "I LOVE how comfortable these seats are".

Then I tell them about all the cool adjustment buttons on the side of the seat and that's the start of their new Porsche addiction...great opener for the Porsche experience tour!

Obviously then when the Helmholtz resonator kicks in that really seals things I could seriously start charging people per minute after that, and they'd be happy to pay!!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    What's nice about it is if it's uncomfortable you can get up and walk around or go sit somewhere else.

Yep, that feature alone justifies the price of $3800.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    What's nice about it is if it's uncomfortable you can get up and walk around or go sit somewhere else.

Yep, that feature alone justifies the price of $3800.

LOL!! Good one.
    BTW, I'd secretly rather have spent the money on the car

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779894 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442375 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263177 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261491 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85695 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5845 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881205 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818061 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM