Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My opinion

To TimN: Exceptional post; I look forward to reading more from you in the future.

To KenH: I happen to share your views of what is important at my stage in life, but that is not why I enjoyed your post. You offered a well balanced and clear perspective without offensive words or tone. Thank you.

Re: Its all down to ones opinion , now its sorted ..

Surprise poll result , would P want it around the other way ?? .

Imo I think so ..

throt..

For anyone that is interested the spec of my Cayman is:
    Atlas Grey
    6 speed
    Bi-colour leather (grey/black)
    Rear wiper
    Parking sensors
    Extended navigation
    Phone module
    Rain sensor/self-dimming mirrors
    Bi-Xenon
    HomeLink
    Climate control
    Multi-functional steering wheel
    Sound package plus.
    The Cayman is UK Spec. and I think I probably spent too much on options.

My 997 is US spec so has cruise control, sunroof and HomeLink as standard. It is a fairly early 997 (Nov 04) and the dealer specced it, not me.
    It has:
    Atlas Grey
    6 speed
    Black partial leather
    Power seats
    Heated seats
    Bi-Xenon
    Rear wiper
    Bose

It has all the options I need. I did think I should have had navigation and the phone but now that I have them on the Cayman I think the navigation is far too fiddly and I haven't even used the phone (I haven't managed to get a second SIM card yet). I don't think the Bose option is significantly better than the Sound Package Plus (which is standard on the US Cayman). Certainly not enough to justify the huge price.

What is sad for UK people is that the Cayman cost Pounds52k on-the-road whereas the 997 was $75k on-the-road. At current exchange rates that makes the Cayman about $90k.

Quote:
    KenH said:

What is sad for UK people is that the Cayman cost Pounds52k on-the-road whereas the 997 was $75k on-the-road. At current exchange rates that makes the Cayman about $90k.

Tell us about it ...

Nice specs Ken..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Surprise poll result , would P want it around the other way ?? .

Imo I think so ..

throt..

The standard Carrera is in the worst position in the range IMO, If the poll was between a Cayman and a Carrera S then I imagine the results would be alot different.

I'd take a Cayman over a standard Carrera, but wouldn't over a Carrera S. The Carrera is priced too close to the S, so if you're spending that much anyway, it's only a little bit more of a stretch to get the S version.

It all depends what you mean by "a bit more of a stretch".
    At UK list prices the 997 is 36% more expensive than the Cayman S whereas the 997S is 48% more expensive - or Pounds20,000.
    Not everybody is willing or able to make that "bit more stretch"! (which is probably more than the average cost of a car in the UK).
    Why not stretch just a little bit further and choose a Carrera 4S? That is "only" 57% more than the Cayman!

Quote:
    KenH said:
    It all depends what you mean by "a bit more of a stretch".
    At UK list prices the 997 is 36% more expensive than the Cayman S whereas the 997S is 48% more expensive - or Pounds20,000.
    Not everybody is willing or able to make that "bit more stretch"! (which is probably more than the average cost of a car in the UK).
    Why not stretch just a little bit further and choose a Carrera 4S? That is "only" 57% more than the Cayman!

Because the 4S is a different beast. It's not superior to the S, you either want 4WD or you don't.

If you order a Carrera, for an extra Pounds5k or so you can get the S. I dunno about other people but if I were ordering a base 997, I'd think "I'm spending almost 60k on a car, I have to have 19" wheels, PASM, Xeonons etc etc" therefore you may aswell just get the S version.

The Pounds20k difference you refer to is the reason I went for a Cayman. If I'm buying a 997, it's going to be the S version. My specced up Cayman comes in at just under Pounds50k, my specced up 997 comes in at Pounds70k. I plan to change up from the Cayman to a 997S within a year, I can't justify Pounds70k on a car at this point in my life, therefore the Cayman is a step up. The standard Carrera sits rather un-easily underneath the 997S IMO.

Strangely aswell, the price difference between a Boxster and Boxster S is more than the difference between the 997 and 997S. This is my point, the higher up in price you go the less likely you are to worry about an extra couple grand.

"This is my point, the higher up in price you go the less likely you are to worry about an extra couple grand."

An interesting perspective (it is actually almost five grand in sterling more for the 997S). If that logic were to be true there would be no point in Porsche even producing the standard 997 because anyone that could afford one could and, more importantly would, afford the 997S.

It is true though, the more money you have the less likely you are to want to save a couple of grand.

5k is alot if you're looking at a car around the Pounds15-20k mark, but it's not when you're spending Pounds60-70k

Apart from those who just want a 911 to cruise in, or have read the magazine reviews that suggest the base 997 is better to drive than the 997S....

Quote:
    KenH said:
    "This is my point, the higher up in price you go the less likely you are to worry about an extra couple grand."

An interesting perspective (it is actually almost five grand in sterling more for the 997S). If that logic were to be true there would be no point in Porsche even producing the standard 997 because anyone that could afford one could and, more importantly would, afford the 997S.

Base 997 and 997s have different handling styles eg.. Some buyers consider the PASM to electronic for there liking , now if that was the case for a buyer where would he turn to with no base model , cant turn to the -20 because thats another animal . So with both 997 and 997s all buying preference's can be accommadate..

throt..

Reading the posts here from people in other countries like the UK , by the time all the tax is put on these cars the price of the 997 and Cayman is quite large . In the US it is not that much , but I can see in other places the Cayman is a much cheaper car than the 997 after all of the taxes . Make you realize how much more accessible these cars are in the US for people with lower incomes . The US must be one of the cheapest places in the world to buy a Porsche .

Very true Ocean , average new 997s after options in the UK would cost around $123,000..

throt..

The US is probably THE cheapest place in the world to buy a Porsche. According to my VA sales guy he gets calls every week from dealers in Europe (not the UK which is right-hand drive) wanting to buy cars to bring back to Europe. He said the give-away is that they usually switch from wanting to buy one to wanting to buy five or six. But PCNA forbids such sales.

Guys of all the places in the World, HK is definitely one of the most expensive places in the world to buy P cars.

The Cayman is listed at around 970,000 HKD and the Carrera at 1.36 million HKD and the Carrera S at 1.44 HKD. Now the Cayman is around 124K USD and the Carrera is at 173K USD and the Carrera S is at 183K USD.

Everybody in the US and UK will find our prices rather ridiculous... just wish we could make more money... and I just purchased my 987s and it cost me my arm and my leg (my head maybe too soon... cos I am always wondering... )114,650 USD. My mother was just breathing down my neck as to why I still didn't put my foot down for a mortgage... and then I told her I bought a Porsche... so be it.

You can not drive a house ... you made the best move a mortgage is boring .

Re: Lets get it sorted ..

Quote:
    RC said:
    Tim, I wish I could have said it with your words, Kudos to you.

Thanks RC! And Kudos to you for such a great forum here on Rennteam. I've only been around a few weeks, and I'm constantly amazed at the quality and civility of the discussion compared to many other enthusiast boards.

Cheers all, and Happy New Years.

Re: My opinion

Quote:
    schao said:
    To TimN: Exceptional post; I look forward to reading more from you in the future.

To KenH: I happen to share your views of what is important at my stage in life, but that is not why I enjoyed your post. You offered a well balanced and clear perspective without offensive words or tone. Thank you.

I certainly agree with that; speaking as a two time Boxster owner and a current 997 owner, who frequently drives with groups of other Porsche owners on our country back roads and the mountain roads in WVA and NC, let me say for a fact that the 997 (even with PASM/Chrono on) has to work a lot harder (harder acceleration and braking) than the 987S to either maintain the pace or exceed the pace of the 987S. Add rain and no shoulder for screw ups, and the set up gets even more interesting! With that said, for real world driving on the roads I love the most, the Cayman S will do very well. I have no doubt that under some situations the Cayman S will be superior to a 997. The physics of a mid-engine set up are simple and straightforward relative to a rear engined car. My friend known as "Kevin the Slow," who in reality is one of the best & faster drivers I know and a 987S owner, would likely back me up on this. All of these cars are great. I think your wallet will have a say in the matter at selection time.

Bona fides by photo: http://www.rennteam.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5001.

Quote:
    KenH said:
    The US is probably THE cheapest place in the world to buy a Porsche. According to my VA sales guy he gets calls every week from dealers in Europe (not the UK which is right-hand drive) wanting to buy cars to bring back to Europe. He said the give-away is that they usually switch from wanting to buy one to wanting to buy five or six. But PCNA forbids such sales.

If the guy works at HBL in Tyson's Corner, you might want to get a second opinion.

How could anybody really choose without having driven a Cayman S?

Hi guys,

First post from Johannesburg, South Africa ! I own a 2006 987 Boxster S and am loving it but what interested me about this thread were the price comparisons...

My car had minimal options and cost the equivalent of $100,000.

The local currency is the Rand and this currently has an exchange rate of 6.30 to the dollar (and 11.00 to the Pound) implying the local cost was just under R630,000 on purchase date.

It gets worse though... the base 997 (without options) costs R900,000 (or about $143,000) and the 997 S costs R1,000,000 (or about $158,000). When you spec these to a decent level you get to a cost of around $175,000 !!!

Anyway, it's not all bad (our cars come standard with 5yr motorplans where we pay nothing for servicing, etc.) but it's still pretty expensive.

When I grow up though, I still want a 997 S (or an old 993 4S for that matter !)

Thanks again and I'm enjoying the site and the "friendly" banter !

He does indeed work at HBL.
    Or did. He just moved to the Ferrari Maserati dealer at Dulles.
    I was surprised as he semed to be a Porsche person through and through - he even owned a short wheelbase 911S and used to have his own Porsche dealership.
    A second opinion about what exactly?

Oops! Sorry! I know that guy! He's the one guy to trust! He sold me my 2nd Porsche when he worked at Porsche of Arlington. He's good. I think he left HBL because of all the BS going on there. Porsche made a big mistake not keeping him! Mike is the best!

"Mike is the best"

I agree. Having been to the Ferari dealership I cannot believe he will enjoy it there and I hope he returns to the Porsche fold before too long.
    I just got back to the US yesterday and today I received an invitation to the HBL Cayman launch next week. I am wondering whether or not to go. It might be fun to listen to the sales pitches and casually mention that I already own one.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    How could anybody really choose without having driven a Cayman S?

Three thoughts come to mind:

(1) Nearly all Porsche production cars are evolutionary (clearly the Cayenne and Carrera GT was not). Those of us who have ordered a Cayman S have either owned or at least test driven other Porsche's before hand. Is this any different than those with orders for the 997TT or 997 GT3?

(2) My own purchasing history has been rather successful both with and without test drives before ordering; and I suspect other car enthusiasts, such as those on this board, have a pretty keen sense of what will or won't work for them. I've been fortunate to be able to buy 6 new cars since 1998, two of which I test drove before ordering/purchasing and four without. Of the two I test drove before hand, they have since been stolen/sold (Acura Type-R and Acura TL). Of the four I ordered and purchased without a test drive, I still own 3 (MINI Cooper S, S4 Avant, and Stohr DSR race car). The fourth car I ordered/purchased before test drive and has since been sold (360 Modena) was not a disappoitment, but rather didn't fit my needs any longer.

(3) What is really at risk if you end up not liking it? So you take a depreciation hit and move on; it's not like you're getting married and promising to be faithful for the rest of your life :-)

This car looks like a blast to drive the problem I have and others is it does nothing for me in the looks department . I really think Porsche needs to spend more effort on the cosmetics of some of their cars . Looking at pictures of the Panorama it seems they are really putting a lot of energy into the look of the car as they did with the CGT . The Cayenne was another story while I think it is the best SUV out there the look of the car does nothing for me . I know the Cayman will be a knockout to drive but I take a step back and look at it from almost any angle and I just do not get it .

This is a great car to get my girlfriend she wants a Porsche and does not want the Cayenne , I can see this combo being popular with couples that both want Porsches but do not want and SUV .

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    This car looks like a blast to drive the problem I have and others is it does nothing for me in the looks department .

I understand, we all have different aesthetic preferences, so no point going down that route. Best way to keep yourself happy is to keep your girlfriend happy, so good luck :-)

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    This car looks like a blast to drive the problem I have and others is it does nothing for me in the looks department .

From autobytel.com:

""There are lots of beautiful cars," says Matthias Kulla who led the 2006 Porsche Cayman design team. He admits that the Cayman S isn't one of them. The roof's profile seems a little too thick, the rear fenders too high and the functional vents just fore of the wheels a little awkward. "But" he says, "we weren't trying to build the most beautiful car, but the most emotional...the most memorable." ---

Kulla says his objective was to make a car that would catch light and cast shade in different ways in different places so that with every look it appears new and fresh. Not wanting to merely mimic past Porsche design, he aimed to creat distinctive elements, like those high rear finders, which, incidentally, make the 2006 Cayman the only car with fenders higher than its deck. And, because the Cayman's greenhouse sweeps well over the rear wheels, the whole effect is one of tensed, explosive energy."

As Schao said, looks are completely personal. You can't really change how you feel and react. I'm in the admiration camp. I think it is an exciting looking car. The quote you posted Henry is very interesting, especially given who made it.

Reminds me a little of that video for "Beautiful Girl" by INXS (this is years ago, I know...). What I noticed about the video at the time was that all the many women who appeared in the video all looked "different" and often quite striking, but none of them looked like the typical model/dancer/actress that would appear in music videos. Many were "imperfect" in their looks, but that tended to add an intriguing element.

The Cayman does fit into the Porsche mold, in that Porsches (in my opinion) typically:

1) Are not "beautiful" like, let's say a Ferrari.

2) Are "different" from other cars and often posess some unusual proportions.

3) Generally age well.

But at the end of the day, it all comes down to what turns your crank, and there is no right or wrong there.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781802 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442805 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261875 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85965 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5990 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881640 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819560 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM