Forum - Thread

Re: Ringtime of the F430

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    For example: When Sport Auto tested the Murci, they clocked a lap of 7:50 sec. Compare that to Autocars time of 7:43 sec. And you have to ask yourself why such a difference?

I suppose you pulled that one out of an anonimous list you stumbled upon and you don't know the driver, the tires or even the legnth of the Ring used (yes, there are different legnths depending on the day, event, or use) for that lap time, right?

That goes to show you that information can't be a dangerous tool if not complete or not handled appropiately.

Saurma's lap times are done on the exact same lenght, tires used are listed, enviromental conditions, same driver, etc, etc, etc. Its the BEST reference of Ring performance for the varoius cars wethere you like it or not. Like I said, don't kill the messenger all of a sudden, kill the Ferrari engineers if you don't like the result.

Give me a break! It was the same track length, same car, same tires etc. Just different driver and different magazine. http://www.racingsouthwest.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t16612.html

Another round of Kool Aid?

I already knew were you got that lap time, as we say here "I don't sow without a thread". So thats exactly what I was talking about, that list is a miss match of gathered "reported" ring times here and there, unconfirmed, and confirmed, with or without data on driver, track lenght, tires, private or maker, closed track or open track guesstimating time difrenetial due to time loss on overtakes, BTG or full lap, etc. There are lap times there of cars with slicks that is not mentioned they used them, there are lap times with diferent lenght in there.

For example, when you lap the ring when its open to public, you have to come in in every lap before you can comeout again, and were you come in is not the same place were you come out, hence when you do a lap when its open to public you are skipping the Dottinger Hohe straight which in the case of the Murc for example would account for about 15 seconds. 7:43 + 15 seconds = 7:58 full lap.
    Saurma does always full laps. No BTG lap times, which is the scenario I explained above. Some magazines use BTG times, hint, hint...take a look at the other Autocar lap times posted, do they look a little strange? optimistic maybe?

Ring times can be very usefull when you know how to interpret them but unfortaunately they can be very misinformative for those that don't

You still want more N'ring Kool aid?

Quote:
    ha said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Ha, Obviously Kuwait must agree with our system. Isn't Jackson moving into your neighborhood?

OMG .. Not only do you need to improve your knowledge in performance cars, but you also need to read more about world geography. I suggest you subscribe to National Geographic along with your subscriptions to Car & Driver, Road & Track, and Ferrari & Small Pen!s.

Btw, Kuwait and Bahrain are two different countries.

Ha I know very well the countires in the Middle East. I thought I read it was Kuwait but I could be wrong. He is in the neighborhood.

BTW, I will ignore your reference to my anatomy. I will assume it was a hasty not well thought remark.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    BTW, I will ignore your reference to my anatomy. I will assume it was a hasty not well thought remark.

Hmmm, the way I read it, Ha referred to magazine subscriptions. You appear to have inferred some kind of reference to your anatomy.

Complex?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Hmmm, the way I read it, Ha referred to magazine subscriptions. You appear to have inferred some kind of reference to your anatomy.

Complex?

Exactly. Just because one subscribes to Playboy doesn't mean one has large breasts, does it? It just means you're interested in that part of the anatomy.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    For example: When Sport Auto tested the Murci, they clocked a lap of 7:50 sec. Compare that to Autocars time of 7:43 sec. And you have to ask yourself why such a difference?

I suppose you pulled that one out of an anonimous list you stumbled upon and you don't know the driver, the tires or even the legnth of the Ring used (yes, there are different legnths depending on the day, event, or use) for that lap time, right?

That goes to show you that information can't be a dangerous tool if not complete or not handled appropiately.

Saurma's lap times are done on the exact same lenght, tires used are listed, enviromental conditions, same driver, etc, etc, etc. Its the BEST reference of Ring performance for the varoius cars wethere you like it or not. Like I said, don't kill the messenger all of a sudden, kill the Ferrari engineers if you don't like the result.

Give me a break! It was the same track length, same car, same tires etc. Just different driver and different magazine. http://www.racingsouthwest.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t16612.html

Another round of Kool Aid?

I already knew were you got that lap time, as we say here "I don't sow without a thread". So thats exactly what I was talking about, that list is a miss match of gathered "reported" ring times here and there, unconfirmed, and confirmed, with or without data on driver, track lenght, tires, private or maker, closed track or open track guesstimating time difrenetial due to time loss on overtakes, BTG or full lap, etc. There are lap times there of cars with slicks that is not mentioned they used them, there are lap times with diferent lenght in there.

For example, when you lap the ring when its open to public, you have to come in in every lap before you can comeout again, and were you come in is not the same place were you come out, hence when you do a lap when its open to public you are skipping the Dottinger Hohe straight which in the case of the Murc for example would account for about 15 seconds. 7:43 + 15 seconds = 7:58 full lap.
    Saurma does always full laps. No BTG lap times, which is the scenario I explained above. Some magazines use BTG times, hint, hint...take a look at the other Autocar lap times posted, do they look a little strange? optimistic maybe?

Ring times can be very usefull when you know how to interpret them but unfortaunately they can be very misinformative for those that don't

You still want more N'ring Kool aid?

That's great spin! Very creative to say the least. You ought to run for office some day. You'd make a great politician.

Quote:
    dg911 said:

I think that two factors, the tires and the enviromental conditions, are very important for the final laptimes reported by SportAuto. And reading their reports I have some serious doubts about the way they conduct their tests. First regarding the tires you see more and more that they are playing with them but it is not always clear whether these tires are OE or not. An OE tire is developed for a specific car.An OE tire, with exactly the same name, on another car can be quite different.A replacement tire with same name is further different. Their test with the M6 is the proof that what they are doing with the tires is not correct. On the Ring the M6 develops much more understeer with the Pirelli Corsa than with the regular tire, with at the end a poor result.
    Secondly the weather conditions are very important and contrarily to what you said they are not reporting any info for the NBR times. I am assuming that in order to publish their article in the next magazine issue they can not always test the cars under the best conditions. Whether they take the same precautions for all the brands is the big question for me. Just to give you my thoughts an example ... I found surprising that he took nearly one year after car introduction to have (the good) 997 S results and just few weeks to have (the not very good) M5 results.

Bingo!

That's great spin! Very creative to say the least. You ought to run for office some day. You'd make a great politician.

I am always surprised by the poor reaction of some who can't respond to great argumentations

Quote:
    Ziggy said:

I am always surprised by the poor reaction of some who can't respond to great argumentations

Je suis d'accord.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:

Sport Auto is just a magazine. That means they don't have the resources to rent out the entire Ring like a manufacturer can for the test they do. Which means all the variables that come into play when doing such a test would effect the outcome.

So, if you do a test on a good clear day vs. a test on a not so good day then obviously the outcome will vary.

Sport Auto is good for a general reference only.

Does anyone know what kind of advantage the carbon ceramic brakes give a vehicle. In other words, what would be the best estimate of the time for the F430 without the fancy brakes?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Ha I know very well the countires in the Middle East. I thought I read it was Kuwait but I could be wrong. He is in the neighborhood.

So Tijuana is in your neighborhood?! Same legal system?!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    ha said:
    ..and Ferrari & Small Pen!s. ..

Was that a reference to your anatomy?! Well you gotta hand it to me.. I was finally dead on.

Quote:
    ha said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Ha, Obviously Kuwait must agree with our system. Isn't Jackson moving into your neighborhood?

OMG .. Not only do you need to improve your knowledge in performance cars, but you also need to read more about world geography. I suggest you subscribe to National Geographic along with your subscriptions to Car & Driver, Road & Track, and Ferrari & Small Pen!s.

Btw, Kuwait and Bahrain are two different countries.

Don't you think the comment about "Ferrari & small [censored]" is a little juvenile?

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Sport Auto is just a magazine. That means they don't have the resources to rent out the entire Ring like a manufacturer can for the test they do.

Sportauto does rent the entire NBR for the supertests...

Ring lap times can be very telling. For those obsessed with numbers or who can only compare road cars with cold statistics, its the intellectual easy way out.

But some cars are more than just the sum of their parts or their lap times. Some cars are actually truly special. They can evoke a sense of pleasure, a sense of occaision and a
    sense of visual presence that some with top lap times can't.

For the Germans, the Ring seems to be everything. For others its just part of the whole picture. If the Nurburgring was near Warsaw instead of in Germany, I doubt German car companies and numbers obsessed customers would even care about it.

> > > Link to Supertest Scan < < <

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Ring lap times can be very telling. For those obsessed with numbers or who can only compare road cars with cold statistics, its the intellectual easy way out.

But some cars are more than just the sum of their parts or their lap times. Some cars are actually truly special. They can evoke a sense of pleasure, a sense of occaision and a
    sense of visual presence that some with top lap times can't.

For the Germans, the Ring seems to be everything. For others its just part of the whole picture. If the Nurburgring was near Warsaw instead of in Germany, I doubt German car companies and numbers obsessed customers would even care about it.

Don't worry. I know what you mean as, per to date, I have driven in excess of 35.000km in current production Ferraris. And I do know that lap times are not everthing when it comes to emotions...

Quote:
    2fast4u said:

Thanks for posting. Something is not logical in these tests results . The F430 is faster than the GT3 on the Hockenheim track (small track with quite slow turns), the F430 has significantly better acceleration times, the F430 has more lateral grip ... and at the end is one second slower than the GT3 on the Ring (which has also a lot of slow turns)
    Another strange thing based on GT3 supertest results (SA of June 2003): with the same speed at exit of last turn (135 km/h) the F430 is only 1 km/h faster (273 vs 272)than the GT3 in the last straight...Is Saurma aware that he can also push full throttle with a Ferrari

Anyone know if the Pireli Corsa are Original Equipment tires on the F430?

Quote:
    dg911 said:
    Anyone know if the Pireli Corsa are Original Equipment tires on the F430?

This has been asked before. No. I have heard however, that you can order them.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Porsche owners should display your numbers on your windshield and tell the world "I know this car is ugly and archaic in style but it has a better time around the Ring than a Ferrari. Do not believe any Ring time which better Porsche times. They are inaccurate." ."

LOL That is truly hilarious.

But I think you bring up one interesting point.

Are Porsches made so well that they track the ring in such a great time or are they made to track the ring in such a great time that they are percieved to be made so well?

I've been in a few 996TTs and I've been in an F430. From my standpoint, I couldn't tell you by taking them out on the street what type of 'ring times they'd adchieve (granted, I wasn't going sideways into turns on the local intersection).

In lieu of this comparison, how is a 997S powerkit (380hp) supposed to compare to a 490hp beast? Is the suspension/chasis on the F430 that poor? What is it lacking? Grip? Exit speed?

It's an interesting connundrum because Porsche seems to have an arguable homefield advantage at the ring....

All I know about the ring is through reading, viewing and playing (PS2 ). I could not tell you anything really definitive about the track. Hopefully one day, I'll get to drive it (maybe this summmer; I'm going to the World Cup!)

In that sense, what makes the ring the definitive test-course for all cars? Is it the sheer size/complexity of it?

What type of car is favored on the ring? Performance handling? Power? Combination?

What are disadvantages for good ring times? Weight? Poor handling?

More importantly: Although these factory drivers could squeeze ridiculous times out of these cars, for the common person, which car is faster? On a common track? In the street?

Hmmm... 19* Celcius track temperature... then the temp was not the problem. The R-compound Corsa tires gave it plenty of grip as it showed in the grip related ski-pad, braking and slalom numbers but it failed in the handling.

Beaten by the Gallardo in regular street tires on both types of tracks, and the 997TT Turbo hasen't set foot on the streets yet... frankly I'm disappointed, have they made it too GT-ish?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:... frankly I'm disappointed, have they made it too GT-ish?

Need to wait for the F430CS Hopefully, this time with 6-spd manual option...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:... frankly I'm disappointed, have they made it too GT-ish?

Definately! the F360CS was THE mid-engined Ferrari IMO, the 430 version could be surprising.

... but I doubt it will even have a manual as an option

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Definately! the F360CS was THE mid-engined Ferrari IMO, the 430 version could be surprising.

... but I doubt it will even have a manual as an option

It better. Manual transmissions are fun, automatics (yes, that's what a sequential is in the end) are boring.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Not one reviewer has found the 430 too GT-ish. What is at work here is Saurma not knowing how to drive a Ferrari and his inward bias of Porsche. He knows Porsche's and can handle them.

More importantly, Hurst raised several issues which go to the heart of whether Ring times are worth measuring in judging performance. To obtain excellent times on the Ring requires the confluence of so many variables that a driver in the same car on the same day can have a 10 sec. difference in Ring times.

Also the set up of the car for a substantial sub-8 min. time would not be conducive to regular road use.Some writers are on record stating that any car which does the Ring in under 8 min. is not a road worthy car.

Carlos, the 430 is a dog and why don't we leave it at that. Porsche's rule the Ring and the sport car world. We poor 430 owners will drive around with a bag over our heads in shame.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Not one reviewer has found the 430 too GT-ish. What is at work here is Saurma not knowing how to drive a Ferrari and his inward bias of Porsche. He knows Porsche's and can handle them.

I have heard from Ferrari France that indeed the F430 is more GT than sports car. They don't call it Bycicletta for no reason internally.
    Quite a few 360 Challenge Stradale clients have actually returned their F430 because it was too soft.
    I cannot comment as I haven't driven the car yet, hopefully soon, but I have driven the 360 Modena and Stradale and despite the fact they share the same body and engine, it genuinely feels like a different animal.
    Nick, have you driven a Stradale? Wouldn't you agree it's much more aggressive than a F430 and more of a handful to extract the quintessence of?
    I really like the stradale, a lot of people (good drivers) told me the F430 had become too easy to drive.
    The F430 Challenge Stradale will be amazing, I have no doubt, and I disagree about the gearbox, it has to have F1 gearbox, Ferrari, after many many years of development has finally come up with a good product, no manual gearbox can match its efficiency ON THE TRACK!
    Bear in mind I'm talking about tracking the car here, which is what the Stradale will be made for, on the open road, the system is totally inadapted and redundant.
    Too jerky at low speeds, that I actually know. It's all about compromise.
    Now about Von Saurma, I don't know the guy Nick and neither do you to my knowlegde, but you pointed out a good point, it would appear he has more experience with Porsche, but I still consider him a professional journalist who gave his best at doing a good time ring time with the F430 which unfortunately, turned out to be fairly disapointing given it's power to weight ratio but actually very good, IMHO compared to the car it replaces the 360 so what's the big deal about?
    It would great if Ferrari spa. could fly an F430 there with one of their official tester, that would sort out the bias issue.
    We all know that Ferrari is less focused on performance than Porsche.
    The answer was always under our nose in Nick's signature gents.
    If you want passion, excitment, sensory overload and performance, in that order. Get a Ferrari. If you want performance first and then the other factors, then there is a lot of competition, it's a simple as that.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

I have heard from Ferrari France that indeed the F430 is more GT than sports car. They don't call it Bycicletta for no reason internally.
    Quite a few 360 Challenge Stradale clients have actually returned their F430 because it was too soft.
    I cannot comment as I haven't driven the car yet, hopefully soon, but I have driven the 360 Modena and Stradale and despite the fact they share the same body and engine, it genuinely feels like a different animal.
    Nick, have you driven a Stradale? Wouldn't you agree it's much more aggressive than a F430 and more of a handful to extract the quintessence of?
    I really like the stradale, a lot of people (good drivers) told me the F430 had become too easy to drive.
    The F430 Challenge Stradale will be amazing, I have no doubt, and I disagree about the gearbox, it has to have F1 gearbox, Ferrari, after many many years of development has finally come up with a good product, no manual gearbox can match its efficiency ON THE TRACK!
    Bear in mind I'm talking about tracking the car here, which is what the Stradale will be made for, on the open road, the system is totally inadapted and redundant.
    Too jerky at low speeds, that I actually know. It's all about compromise.
    Now about Von Saurma, I don't know the guy Nick and neither do you to my knowlegde, but you pointed out a good point, it would appear he has more experience with Porsche, but I still consider him a professional journalist who gave his best at doing a good time ring time with the F430 which unfortunately, turned out to be fairly disapointing given it's power to weight ratio but actually very good, IMHO compared to the car it replaces the 360 so what's the big deal about?
    It would great if Ferrari spa. could fly an F430 there with one of their official tester, that would sort out the bias issue.
    We all know that Ferrari is less focused on performance than Porsche.
    The answer was always under our nose in Nick's signature gents.
    If you want passion, excitment, sensory overload and performance, in that order. Get a Ferrari. If you want performance first and then the other factors, then there is a lot of competition, it's a simple as that.

I agree with everything you've said, except for the official testing. Fly the tester in, but get the car from a dealer. There have been some disagreements when the F430 came out in the US. Motor Trend (I believe it was them) got it close to Enzo performance and everyone was amazed. I'd like to buy the car they tested

Quote:
    Fanch said:

That would be great indeed, but I think it will never happen.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763611 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436025 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260824 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257791 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82565 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

873778 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808369 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM