Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PCCB Questions

Let's say I had more money then sense (probably good to get that comment out of the way) and was thinking about adding the PCCB to my 2006 C2S. I have a few questions:

1. Is there any benefit (beyond bragging rights) if you are not going to spend a lot of time at the track?

2. Are they durable...or as durable as the stock brakes?

3. Is a brake job like a billion dollars? I read that the PCCB on the CGT was an enormous amount of money.

4. Can you get the calipers in others colors or is yellow the only option.

5. If I took the plunge is there any resale value for my stock brakes (380 miles)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Re: PCCB Questions

Less weight per brake- about 50% less- and less fade too.

I checked, it's yellow- or pay thousands more for the factory to paint them another color. Personally, I wouldn't have them painted afterwards- not sure how the paint would hold up.

They are on my list!

Sorry I can't help with the other questions.

Quote:
    NDRFUN said:
    Let's say I had more money then sense (probably good to get that comment out of the way) and was thinking about adding the PCCB to my 2006 C2S. I have a few questions:

1. Is there any benefit (beyond bragging rights) if you are not going to spend a lot of time at the track?

3. Is a brake job like a billion dollars? I read that the PCCB on the CGT was an enormous amount of money.

5. If I took the plunge is there any resale value for my stock brakes (380 miles)?

1. There is a handling improvement from the lower unsprung weight on the suspension.
    2. They are purported to be more durable than steel (especially on the street).
    3. Replacing the rotors is VERY expensive but should be a very infrequent occurence with street driving.
    4. Changing the color would best be achieved by having them powder-coated aftermarket (assuming you didn't want to pay for the factory option). Powder coating and replacing "Porsche" logo would cost under $1k including remove/reinstall and be very durable and heat-resistant.
    5. Yes, your stock brakes could be sold on ebay or a Porsche forum rather easily (for a fraction of their new cost). I assume that someone with a 997 (not S) might like the upgrade.

Please also keep in mind that there is one other advantage (minimal brake dust) and one disadvatage (poorer performance in wet and/or cold weather until they heat up, from what I hear)

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Less weight per brake- about 50% less- and less fade too.

The rotors weigh 50% less, but the calipers don't, so total brake system weight savings is much less than 50%.

Fade on the 997S steel brakes would be nearly impossible to induce on the street (unless done intentionally)...

Anyone know what the cost of adding PCCB is? I have a C2 (non S).

pccb are avilable at 13k from suncoat motorsport. not sure about labor cost.

Quote:
    doc2s said:

Ouch! Well that is too rich for my blood. I would love to have it but maybe next time I will order it from the factory.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    doc2s said:

Ouch! Well that is too rich for my blood. I would love to have it but maybe next time I will order it from the factory.

It ain't cheap from the factory either (more than $8k, I think) and at least you could get something for your current brakes (~$2k perhaps).

I don't think this option makes alot of sense until the price comes down (which it should dramatically - just a matter of "When?"). There are too many other things you can do to improve your car for that kind of money. The stock brakes are excellent...

Quote:
    Grant said:

Please also keep in mind that there is one other advantage (minimal brake dust) and one disadvatage (poorer performance in wet and/or cold weather until they heat up, from what I hear)

As Grant says, definitely be careful in the wet-particularly after you wash the car and wheels and rinse the wheels-if you drive it right after, get a feel for the braking ability until they dry. Since the brakes can stop the car on a dime, you will no doubt be used to quick stops from decent speeds, but right after spraying them down, give yourself a few extra feet to stop.

There is absolutely LITTLE benefit if it is not for track use - the reds will not fade under street driving or even heavy driving and are still very effective, the extra weight is not an issue either - cornering will still be fantastic, the majority of people who buy used Porsches may not want or understand PCCB and so resale value may not be significantly higher than those similar but without PCCB. PCCB servicing is not that much I recall and I doubt it is worth 5k option. I would rather spend it on something else.

Quote:
    NDRFUN said:

1. besides the lower UNSPRUNG WEIGHT (which gives you a certain handling advantage), they also provide better braking power from higher speeds and what I always liked most about them: dosage feel. They provide a much better brake feel, you can actually adjust the brake force very precisely with your foot only. Incredible setup.

2. as long as you don't hit a hammer against them...
    Yes, they're durable but the "older" 150000 mls durability are not quite accurate I'm afraid. I'd say the discs last around five to six times longer than the standard steel ones and even the brake pads last longer (my car had almost 18000 km and brake pads were still half good).

3. the PCCB costs a lot of money but not THAT much. I don't know about the prices in the US but over here in Germany, a PCCB disc (new one) is around 2500 Euro incl. 16% VAT. Maybe slightly less. There are however "exchange" discs which cost much less (800 Euro each?) if your PCCB discs is still "usable" for "refurbishing".

4. over here in Germany, you can get the PCCB brake calipers in many different colours, price tag was around 2700 Euro incl. 16% VAT last time I asked. This is a from factory only option and not available to all countries.

5. I doubt that there is really a good resale value for your "old" brakes but who knows, maybe?

In my opinion, a retrofit doesn't make much sense because it costs a fortune. You better return your car and get a new one with PCCB, in the end it would probably cost you the same money.

I would think that the best reason to get pccb for a street car would be the reduction in wheel dust. On a lighter color car the wheels need attention far before the rest of the car so I could see them contributing your enjoyment of it. Maybe less significant on a darker car or on a car owned by someone who enjoys detailing.

For what it's worth I haven't noticed any problems when the brakes are wet. I like them, haven't missed the $8k. Have I mentioned no brake dust?

Quote:
    RC said:
    3. the PCCB costs a lot of money but not THAT much. I don't know about the prices in the US but over here in Germany, a PCCB disc (new one) is around 2500 Euro incl. 16% VAT. Maybe slightly less. There are however "exchange" discs which cost much less (800 Euro each?) if your PCCB discs is still "usable" for "refurbishing".

Damn, PCCB's cost 12,000 Euros here

Quote:
    booger said:
    For what it's worth I haven't noticed any problems when the brakes are wet. I like them, haven't missed the $8k. Have I mentioned no brake dust?

Yes, brake dust...another reason to go for the PCCB, sorry. Forgot that. There are no problems when the brakes are wet, I don't know why people mention this over and over again. IF they have a problem, they should contact their dealer immediately. From my experience, there is only one single problem with wetness: after washing the car, there is almost no braking power and I'm not kidding. Press the brake pedal a few times very hard while the car is moving slowly and you're done (just be careful that there is nobody behind you... ). Otherwise, even during heavy rain and even during heavy snowing, there is no problem at all with the PCCB.

Christian, I thought that we had agreed that only you, and two other guys in the world, did not experience a rain issue with PCCB.

jb

Quote:
    jboyko said:
    Christian, I thought that we had agreed that only you, and two other guys in the world, did not experience a rain issue with PCCB.

jb

Make that three!
    I drove back my car from south of France on delivery day under snow and rain.
    No problem whatsoever.

My experiences are the same ac RC's. No performance problems in the rain or any other conditions!

I have found they squeak a little in very cold weather or after periods of slow town driving.

Overall though, they're great. Shame Porsche charges so much for them.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    booger said:

Yes, brake dust...another reason to go for the PCCB, sorry. Forgot that. There are no problems when the brakes are wet, I don't know why people mention this over and over again. IF they have a problem, they should contact their dealer immediately. From my experience, there is only one single problem with wetness: after washing the car, there is almost no braking power and I'm not kidding. Press the brake pedal a few times very hard while the car is moving slowly and you're done (just be careful that there is nobody behind you... ). Otherwise, even during heavy rain and even during heavy snowing, there is no problem at all with the PCCB.

Have driven 996TTS 15K mis in various conds....phenom brakes But, actually, another uncommon scenario exists where PCCB could surprise you in rain....yest drove my 996TTS about 25-30 mis in heavy rain on SF fwy at 75-80MPH w/no need to apply brakes....but when I finally moved to the (long straight) off-ramp and applied brakes nothing happened for seemingly 3-4 secs before PCCB finally kicked in....thankfully, an empty off-ramp and no drama...but I hope 997TT has PCCB w/the periodic "drying" feature that I believe 997C4S has....possibly useful for "extended wet cruising"....

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    jboyko said:

jb

Make that three!
    I drove back my car from south of France on delivery day under snow and rain.
    No problem whatsoever.

Make that four of us. I've never had a problem with the PCCB's in rain, after car washes, etc. And I drive my car every day.

Someone correct me if this is false info. I was told by sales reps at two different dealers that the PCCB rotors are fragile and great care must be taken when mounting/dismounting wheel/tire assemblies to prevent damaging them.

If I had PCCB I would get use to them. Man why do they cost soooooo much

PCCB rotor are also very fragile if sprayed it for washing with cold water, after an intense use with high temperature,
    thermic shock may be damage the pseudo-ceramic material.
    -

Quote:
    gian61 said:
    PCCB rotor are also very fragile if sprayed it for washing with cold water, after an intense use with high temperature,
    -

It is very easy to damage the discs, just take a little hammer and...NO, don't do it. But seriously: if some crazy guy would get the idea...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    gian61 said:
    -

It is very easy to damage the discs, just take a little hammer and...NO, don't do it. But seriously: if some crazy guy would get the idea...

Oh, that's a terrible idea for a vandal - that would be an easy way to cause someone alot of expense

I hope this doesn't start to happen, or the cost of insurance on a car with PCCB would become VERY expensive in a short time

What are the chances, that you'll come off a blistering hot lap, where your rotors are cherry red. Then, jump out of your car, when an evil Ferrari owner jumps out of the bushes and sprays your PCCB's with water. If your rotors were steel, they would warp with the water. Albeit, the steel ones would be cheaper to replace.

It's guys like SoCal, that ruin it for everyone.

jb

Quote:
    What are the chances, that you'll come off a blistering hot lap, where your rotors are cherry red. Then, jump out of your car, when an evil Ferrari owner jumps out of the bushes and sprays your PCCB's with water.

....see, that's exactly the scenario that I was worried about. Otherwise I would've ordered PCCB's too.

I would bet for most of us on this board the big red calipers are sufficient for all driving to include the track. I'm sure there are a few who would benefit from PCCB's but they are awfully expensive. I doubt that anyone on this board will drive their car for 2-3 months before washing, so the "less brake dust" arguement is probably not a good reason alone.

Quote:
    Hollli82 said:
    I doubt that anyone on this board will drive their car for 2-3 months before washing, so the "less brake dust" arguement is probably not a good reason alone.

It didn't take 2-3 months for brake dust to get really ugly on my 996TT coupe. More like 2-3 hours of driving.

I purchased PCCB on my 996TT cabriolet mainly for the lack of brake dust and am very happy with the decision.

Now the wheels stay as clean as the rest of the car. Or I should say: The wheels don't get dirty faster than the body of the car.

Quote:
    It didn't take 2-3 months for brake dust to get really ugly on my 996TT coupe. More like 2-3 hours of driving.

I purchased PCCB on my 996TT cabriolet mainly for the lack of brake dust and am very happy with the decision.

Now the wheels stay as clean as the rest of the car. Or I should say: The wheels don't get dirty faster than the body of the car.

No arguement from me that there will be less brake dust with PCCB's. I wash my car at least once a week so I am not too worried about the amount of brake dust that I will generate. If money were no object, I would have PCCB's too. I just decided to put $$ into the X-51 instead. I'll deal with the brake dust. I don't think I'll be disappointed in the performance of the Red calipers.

Quote:
    gian61 said:
    -

The PCCB discs cool down pretty fast. It would need some crazy guy with an ice cold water spray to ride on your front trunk, grab himself to the hood with the left hand and spray on the cold water to your disc with his other hand. To make it short: IMPOSSIBLE. After you stop the car, the ceramic composite material cools down immediately and I doubt that the water temperature would be somewhere slightly above zero degrees celsius.

The latest PCCB generation doesn't even squeak at cold temperatures anymore, I'd say that it is almost perfect.

People should NOT retrofit the PCCB because it costs a fortune. If somebody isn't sure if he should get PCCB or not, GET it. Retrofitting it costs MUCH MUCH more, I think that the price tag including install is almost double of the original price from the factory on a new car. Forget it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765538 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437353 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261455 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258255 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82785 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5334 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877594 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809880 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM