Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997TT - New pics??

Quote:
    Have a look at the wheels on the dark colored Turbo and then look at the wheels on the Cayenne parked behind it. Reminds me of what Honda did with their Acura logo. Let's see if we angle the top of the H just a bit to resemble an A.... Bingo !!

The wheels are okay, I just like the Turbo Twisties a whole lot better.

The first pics on this thread weren't flattering at all. I was already saying to myself so which car should I buy instead, DB9 Volante ? The next set look a lot better imo. Especially love the way the rear fender bulge looks. I so want to love the car but I'm honestly not crazy about the overall look. The different design lines of the ROUND fogs, the RECTANGULAR front intakes, the ANGULAR front signals, the ZIG ZAG cut outs in the rear around the exhaust. There's too many conflicting scructure lines and shapes. Like pieces put together from different cars. There's not that cohesive, common element that makes many of the great looking cars so beautiful / aggressive. But will wait and see how it looks in person. I do think it's a shame the design isn't something that looks incredible right off. I mean Aston, Ferrari even Mercedes can build new cars that just look fantastic from the minute you see them for the first time why can't Porsche do that anymore ? You shouldn't have to wait to get used to a car in order to like it. For approx $150k I'm dissapointed it's not something that gets you to go WOW but I'm not surprised because the camoed pictures we've been seeing all along basically showed a lot of how the car would look.

I definately wont yank my deposit but I will probably also start looking at alternatives just in case it doesn't grab me as a gotta have it , when I see it live.

great post ..........

They nailed the rear! Best 911 rear ever... maybe of any car. Awesome. 10.0!

Needs "heavier" more masculine side skirts. (-0.24 points)

Too much going on in the front fascia/spoiler. Too many distracting components. (-0.44 points)

Side air intake should be molded... not a pop out piece. (-0.17 points)

Wheels aren't perfect but match attitude of rear. (-0.04 points)

Conclusion: still a very good points total!

better?

Much better

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Much better

Now it looks more like a 959.....

really disappointed with the plastic side air intake (lack of design)...

Quote:
    luko said:
    I personally don't like the holes that that exhaust pipes stick out of. There's a guy who lives near me who has a pimped out Volvo estate(yes!) with a body kit and the exhaust poke through two holes cut in the rear skit, reminds me of that! Like these chav cars

Porsche has done this before....the 959 and 356 Carrera 2

those front foglights reminds you of something??????

Dimitri, you don't get second thoughts about that F430, don't you?

STRADALE has got the right idea here .......... have both they are really two completely different cars , like two completely different animals . The solution to this dilemma is just make more money and have both .

Quote:
    RC said:
    Dimitri, you don't get second thoughts about that F430, don't you?

honestly christian ,no .even tough i have porsche in my blood ,there has been too many mistakes. dont forget i paid the f430 at msrp and i "only" have a 3 month wait .probably if i had to wait and pay like in the states ,i would had never bought it. as a second choice for me it would be the 997tt for its performance and durability,porsche is a bullet proof car.. but for approximatly the same price ,i will take the 430 over the tt , i think it gives much more for the same money.
    if i could afford it ,i would get both ,and forget something called cars for the next 5 years , it is my ultimate dream garage ,430 and 997tt....

managed to see the pics only now - and they dont really drive me crazy, though i dont find it terrible either. could be a tuned 996 imo. like the looks of the gt3 better.
    what will sell this car to me anyway would be it's technical content and performance. the 3.7 from mumbasic with pdk would be a strong argument. not sure the car will be available with this spec anytime soon though...

You know what it is ,,, it is just too busy , they took the basic 997 with its smooth and very natural flow and just chopped it up with the most beautiful part the hips getting the worst of it ..all of this stuff looks like after-market stuff that was not even done by the actual carmaker with no real flow to it . Where the 997 looked like a step forward from the 996 .. this looks like a step back to a car that is much more similar to the 996tt and cluttered with all kind os things that just distract from the natural curves of the car .

I like the rockers just the way they are. The slimmer the waist, the more athletic the look. When you add beef to the rockers, it just makes the cat look like it's been eating too many jerky treats. I mean, c'mon, fattening up the rockers is the favorite styling trick for Bud-swilling NASCAR-addicted Camaro and Monte Carlo drivers. The best looking Turbos have always been the ones that look like a 911 that's been stretched-out at the corners by the monstrous wheels, resulting in a taut and tense stance. I always despised the goofy-looking slant-nose option with those clumsy and bulky rockers, it made a 911 Turbo look like it got attacked by a trailer park, and required a mullet hairdo for purchase.

What's wrong with mullet hairdos? I hear they're coming back into fashion.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    it is just too busy , they took the basic 997 with its smooth and very natural flow and just chopped it up with the most beautiful part the hips getting the worst of it ..all of this stuff looks like after-market stuff that was not even done by the actual carmaker with no real flow to it . Where the 997 looked like a step forward from the 996 .. this looks like a step back to a car that is much more similar to the 996tt and cluttered with all kind os things that just distract from the natural curves of the car .

I agree and I disagree. Yes, the moved away from the "clean" line flow on the 997, I agree. But at the same time they added something to the 997 Turbo, the 997 doesn't have: "badness". For this kind of money, a car has to look absolutely beautiful or mean. Now pick one.

Wheels can help give a car a certain look and the new wheels do nothing to give it a different look . I think many of the body changes would come across better with the right wheels and these wheels really are a non event . I remember when I bought my first 993 in 95 and then they came out with the turbo the wheels gave the 993 Turbo a whole new look and we were all scrabbling to get the twists for our regular 993's . Here they come out with a new generation turbo and there is no statement made with one of the most important components of the car at least cosmetically the wheels . The twist look dated now but in their day it shows how a wheel can give the car a whole different look .

I thought the 997 needed some better looking factory wheels and they were just holding back some special design and saving it for the turbo . I think with the right wheels (and lowered of course) the car would have that mean look you are talking about but without the right wheels it is tough . A nice alloy wheel is really needed that is one big missing ingredient .

Look at how much this beautiful factory wheel helps the look of the 430 ... Porsche needs a hot new alloy for the new 997TT

http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ferrarif4303706qh.jpg

if somene could sneak some TechArt or Ruf 20's on this picture and make the car black .. not that those are the right wheels for the car but as it is now there really are not super hot wheels setting the look of this car off . T

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Wheels can help give a car a certain look and the new wheels do nothing to give it a different look . I think many of the body changes would come across better with the right wheels and these wheels really are a non event . I remember when I bought my first 993 in 95 and then they came out with the turbo the wheels gave the 993 Turbo a whole new look and we were all scrabbling to get the twists for our regular 993's . Here they come out with a new generation turbo and there is no statement made with one of the most important components of the car at least cosmetically the wheels . The twist look dated now but in their day it shows how a wheel can give the car a whole different look .

I thought the 997 needed some better looking factory wheels and they were just holding back some special design and saving it for the turbo . I think with the right wheels (and lowered of course) the car would have that mean look you are talking about but without the right wheels it is tough . A nice alloy wheel is really needed that is one big missing ingredient .

Look at how much this beautiful factory wheel helps the look of the 430 ... Porsche needs a hot new alloy for the new 997TT

Agreed.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Agreed.

Disagree... I always thought the turbo-twists stunk, badly, and still do. Too fruity. I liked the 17" straight-spokes on my 993 (below), and would have considered twisties to be a disco-ation of the car.

The new wheel has a Darth Vader sinisterism to it. I'm digging it.

But hey, we all have our own tastes, it's cool. I say tomayto, you say tomahto...

Fast cat with mullet on low carb diet!

I don't know, I actually like the Carrera S wheels very much and the new Turbo wheels look great too in my opinion. But of course this is a matter of taste. Anyway: I have my doubts that the "old" Turbo wheels look good on the 997, same applies to the newer Techart or Gemballa wheels with round shapes. But again...taste is nothing you can argue about.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I don't know, I actually like the Carrera S wheels very much and the new Turbo wheels look great too in my opinion. But of course this is a matter of taste. Anyway: I have my doubts that the "old" Turbo wheels look good on the 997, same applies to the newer Techart or Gemballa wheels with round shapes. But again...taste is nothing you can argue about.

I'm with you RC. Rounded wheels are for Beetles and Bangles.

hope we see the CGT seats as an option

p.s. how about a wheel like the Panarama

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

hope we see the CGT seats as an option

p.s. how about a wheel like the Panarama

Yes, the "CGT" seats will be optional.
    But what is a Panarama, please?
    Just kidding. The Panamera photoshop job uses the CGT wheels, nothing more and nothing less. To my knowledge, Porsche just finished the 1:1 clay (I hope this is the right english word) model, there isn't even a driveable Panamera prototype yet (of course if you exclude the rumored Audi A8 test mules).

Quote:
    RC said:Yes, the "CGT" seats will be optional.

RC - I thought all the new seats have side airbags built into the seats. Will the CGT seats be modified for airbags, or will airbags be returned to the doors, or will there be no side airbags with the CGT seat option (this would make them unavailable in US, no doubt)?

Thanks!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774817 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440340 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262080 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260313 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84839 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879404 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814228 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM