Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Are we RICER Targets????

well i dont have a porsche (someday) but whenever i see a fast car @ a stoplight, i always try and get him to punch it off the line just so i can see him pull away from me & to hear his exhaust (I'm talking about NON-ricers that i try and do this with, cars that are worth appreciating)

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    well i dont have a porsche (someday) but whenever i see a fast car @ a stoplight, i always try and get him to punch it off the line just so i can see him pull away from me & to hear his exhaust (I'm talking about NON-ricers that i try and do this with, cars that are worth appreciating)

You've got a very good point. Nothing sounds better than a decent car (be it porsche, ferrari, lambo) giving it a bit more gas than nessisary off of a light. Sure beats the sound of the typical ricer which strangely sounds like my weedeater.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." (John 8:7)

I guess I'm just another Neanderthal 911Turbo owner. . . .

Al- come on out to California- land full of non-English speaking, no licence, no insurance , probably no legal status for being here guys with old cars with cheap knock off " rice " wheels and fart can exhausts . If you give one a WOT thrill ,flashing by a few cars and quickly back off but HE gets excited and goes on weaving at high speed for a couple miles to "race you to the next off ramp" but plows into a wagon full of soccer kids , I predict two things : 1) he will disappear over the embankment and never be seen again in the US and 2) 4 witnesses will have your licence plate number to finger you as his racing accomplice ! The law and lawyers will be all over you, Mr Deep Pockets - " Gur-own-teeeed "
    As I said earlier, every time I see three ( always three, it seems ) cars weaving at 90 mph through freeway traffic, it's the typical demographic : three people in 85 hp older cheap econo cars who look like the types who are late for work at Best Buy or KFC.

I just assume they are into cars and don't hold any malice towards me (since I look like a respectable "older dude"), and they like what they see me driving.

So, just give 'em a wave and let 'em go. If you race them you're asking from trouble. I personally have frick of a lot to lose if I kill or hurt someone while driving like an idiott.

They like cars just like we do. If they had the money they'd be driving Porsches too, and we'd have no excuse NOT to like them and give them a friendly wave.

Smile, wave and let them go bye, bye.

Does Lennox Lewis ( or any boxing champion) accept every challenge to fight from some punk on the street?

Totally agree- MKW and MMD.

Al I aqgree with you 100%.

When I was in Europe last I saw every Highway Safety Nazis worst nightmare.. A new Volvo station wagon going 135mph with daddy, mommy, two kids and a golden retriever on board, they all looked content and happy!

If you never top end your sports car out, Whats the hell is the point of owning it?

Isn't 280 south of SF between rush hours and during CHP donut breaks there for california citizens to do that?

Who needs to race ricers, illegal aliens in hoopty cars or meth couriers in Kias anyway? Kinda pointless! Find something faster to race, like a M5 or M3,F car, whatever!

Let me see if I can make some sense of this.

It's fun to drive our P cars fast. You didn't buy it to look at it in the driveway. And although it's illegal, it's sometimes acceptable to drive fast on the freeway or windy road. Most of us are not going to the track enough to get it out of our systems.

So to me it's a matter of judgment. Since us P car drivers are generally older, experienced drivers we know when not to take inappropriate risks on the public roadways. On the other hand, younger drivers (i.e., the kind who might drive a "ricer") generally don't know when to hold back.

My personal experience we these younger drivers has shown that they do not know when to stop horsing around. Once beat, they want to go again and again. That's the problem. And that's why I won't engage in a race with one of these drivers.

Now on the other hand, an older guy in a 360 or Vette wanted to go and the conditions were right, I might do it.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

U-Boat

PS: Although I'm in So Cal, I do like I-280 as well.

Don't bother to race ricers, they only make good rabbits and cop bait.

But someone else in a C, P, F, M, or B car that doesnt look like they have a mail box full of traffic warrants or a crack pipe on the dash, thats different. But warning! most sportscar drivers have stronger checkbooks than driving skills.

A auto journalist friend of mine was a self appointed worlds greatest driver, until Sterling Moss drove him to the airport one rainy day in a BMW 318i rental car.

After that he realized he was just a minor leaguer. Wich is where most of us can only aspire to be driving skills wise.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:

Al- come on out to California- land full of non-English speaking, no licence, no insurance , probably no legal status for being here guys with old cars with cheap knock off " rice " wheels and fart can exhausts . If you give one a WOT thrill ,flashing by a few cars and quickly back off but HE gets excited and goes on weaving at high speed for a couple miles to "race you to the next off ramp" but plows into a wagon full of soccer kids , I predict two things : 1) he will disappear over the embankment and never be seen again in the US and 2) 4 witnesses will have your licence plate number to finger you as his racing accomplice ! The law and lawyers will be all over you, Mr Deep Pockets - " Gur-own-teeeed "
    As I said earlier, every time I see three ( always three, it seems ) cars weaving at 90 mph through freeway traffic, it's the typical demographic : three people in 85 hp older cheap econo cars who look like the types who are late for work at Best Buy or KFC.

All true....though I suspect if anyone who could afford a 996TTS was forced to live in a place like Rochester, we'd all be coming up w/inane schemes to entertain ourselves, to stave off thoughts of suicide.....

Actually know of a couple of car guys in SF who've been convinced by their lawyers that it makes more sense from a potential liability (and productivity) standpoint to have an S-Class and driver ferry them around the SF-SilicVy axis, so they can sit in back and work their cell and email during commute/btwn mtgs....and reserve their sportscar driving for early on wkend AMs on 280& in Woodside mtn twisties/at the track....

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Al I aqgree with you 100%.

When I was in Europe last I saw every Highway Safety Nazis worst nightmare.. A new Volvo station wagon going 135mph with daddy, mommy, two kids and a golden retriever on board, they all looked content and happy!

If you never top end your sports car out, Whats the hell is the point of owning it?

Isn't 280 south of SF between rush hours and during CHP donut breaks there for california citizens to do that?

Who needs to race ricers, illegal aliens in hoopty cars or meth couriers in Kias anyway? Kinda pointless! Find something faster to race, like a M5 or M3,F car, whatever!

Yeah, but Euro doesn't have the world's wealthiest lawyers to help go after the deep-pocketed driver's assets should any serious accident occur or prosecutors who might charge a guy w/some form of vehicular manslaughter should an accid w/death/serious injuries occur at high/illegal/reckless rates of speed....

280 btwn SF and Menlo (even in rush hr) moves at speeds prob as fast/faster than any autobahn coursing through Munich/other relevant German metro at rush hr....esp scary given how shabby most of the cars are and how inattentive many drivers are (though very few accids occur on 280 prob b/c few entry/ex points and everyone is accustomed to the high speeds ).....a great sight on 280 is periodically seeing 65/612, etc being put to daily commute use at speeds that would make their Euro engineers proud...

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:

It's fun to drive our P cars fast. You didn't buy it to look at it in the driveway. And although it's illegal, it's sometimes acceptable to drive fast on the freeway or windy road.

Lemme help by clarifying what I think "acceptable" means. No kidding, I see speedlimit signs as suggested or recommended speeds.

They are there for the least-skilled, least-interested, least-equipped driver.

I only drive at safe speeds. They may be different from the ones on the signs.

I shut of stereo, (it's rarely on anyway) have both hands on wheel at all times, have never used a cupholder since there's no cups, NEVER speed in people's neighborhoods, NEVER speed in pedestrian/city situations, I just pay attention to everything on the road, including what may all of a sudden appear on the road.

So when a sign say 35 and I judge 45 to be okay I do 45 or 50, in a few yards it may all of a sudden be safe only to go 35 so I go down to 35. That's the way I see it, variable speedlimits. I never see myself as driving in an unsafe manner.

Oh sure, even driving in the safest manner following my rules I stated above, a freak thing might happen, one that I might have avoided by going 35 insted of 50, but that same freak thing would have happened to the guy going 35mph and having a coffee or crack break while driving a POS.

But hey, life is really just one variable after another ending in an approximation.

Bottom line is - NEVER "freeway slalom" with another car ! Use these 400-600 hp cars' awesome acceleration very discretely and in carefully reasoned moments when not on a track.

Best way to deflect a stranger who has a nice car and wants to " race " is to give him a thumbs up while pointing to HIS car and leave it at that. He is a car enthusiast ,not your " enemy " - that would be your typical tsk-tsking clueless media-manipulated follow -the- crowd since the days of Buffalo Bob but thinks he's independent old-aged baby boomer " righteous "Prius driver being taken to the bank by a laughing Toyota Motor Company.That boomer has been the source of that company's rise in the US : Typical buyer profile : early 70s Corolla to late 70s " insurance agent " Supra to early 80s Cressida to late 80s 4 Runner SUV to 90s Lexus products now downsized to the PC Prius.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:

One of about a thousand reasons I have NO desire to live on the Left Coast. . . .

Quote:
    MMD said:
    So when a sign say 35 and I judge 45 to be okay I do 45 or 50, in a few yards it may all of a sudden be safe only to go 35 so I go down to 35. That's the way I see it, variable speedlimits. I never see myself as driving in an unsafe manner.

And if you do go, say 51 in a 35, no matter how safely you think you are driving, technically, if you are gunned at that speed on 5 separate occasions (16 over-2 points on your license), at least I believe in NY State, that's suspension of license pending a hearing, whereas, if I go 0-60 with a ricer onto a state highway, on a clear Sunday with zilch traffic, and we cool it once we hit 60, under the 65 limit, no violation, and not necessarily more dangerous than your 51 in a 35.

Quote:
    tooner said:
    It happens so often when I'm driving around leisurely and relaxingly around town, usually to the local coffee shop or before I do my bank runs...

HAAAGRRRRUVMMM!!! These EVO's, Subaru's, and most recently a Mustang whatever the heck it is riding on tactless chromes and exhausts would make themselves visible and as they roll by they give that look that says "No way P-car Punk"

At this point I shake my head and say to myself not worth it, not worth the ticket or the rubber I'm wasting, not to mention the stiff neck I'm going to get trying to look back for these guys after a few gears...

So my question stands, are we TARGETS? Are P-cars so subtle in its image that others forget that it can haul ass too!

-tooner-

Not worth a ticket

It beneath Porsche drivers to "race" japanese cars but its OK to see videos of 911 vs M5's? And vs Ferraris? This is one facet of Porsche ownership I hate, that of the stereotypical stuck up arrogant Porsche owner.

Those so called "ricers" are just young gear heads that can't afford an $80K car so we demean them?

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    It beneath Porsche drivers to "race" japanese cars but its OK to see videos of 911 vs M5's? And vs Ferraris? This is one facet of Porsche ownership I hate, that of the stereotypical stuck up arrogant Porsche owner.

Those so called "ricers" are just young gear heads that can't afford an $80K car so we demean them?

We don't "demean" them because they drive jap cars. We just generalize that they are immature and dangerous.

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Quote:
    Texas911 said:

We don't "demean" them because they drive jap cars. We just generalize that they are immature and dangerous.

I was one of those gearheads about 20 years ago.. driving around in my '67 Mustang, way before it became popular to mod up the ricers. Looking back at some of the things I did, I would say you are both right. First and foremost, I was a car enthusiast, appreciated several different types, and truly did not show disdain for anybody else who had a nicer car than I did. On the other foot, ther were many times, as has been pointed out several times here, where I would "get on it" in less than ideal or safe circumstances. When you are young, you are more prone to feelings of invincibility, and truly think the worst won't happen. So, I have a hard time calling these young people "stupid", immature is more applicable... when we get older, and have those years of life experience behind us, it is maddening when we see these kids driving recklessly, because we KNOW what can happen, and how lives can be shattered in an instant. Judging from these posts, the supreme majority of exotic car owners are responsible people. I am included in that segment that will "open it up" now and then in ideal circumstances, i.e Hwy 280 at 8am on a sunday morning.. but never weave in and out of traffic, or speed in ANY residential neighborhood, EVER, even if no people around. With that being said, Toons, good topic, I'll be lookig out for you on 280

Quote:
    greggr107 said:

I am included in that segment that will "open it up" now and then in ideal circumstances, i.e Hwy 280 at 8am on a sunday morning..
    I'll be lookig out for you on 280

Be cautious out there - the CHP loves hanging out at two places on Sundays between 6-8 AM for EASY pickings of all the guys exercising their sports cars at certain straight sections where these 8 lane freeways seem wide open to the horizon :

The southbound 101 on -ramp just past the garbage recycling plant at the Monster Park on ramp ( they are totally hidden ) and the southbound 280 on- ramp just past the " Flintstones house " bridge ( again, totally hidden ).I mean, what else is there for them to do at that time of day on a weekend ? Take it easy out there !

Anyone with famous focused sports cars are ricer targets. Don't rise up to the challenge or if you do, win (but don't die trying).

Quote:
    Texas911 said:

Texas911,

I believe we're just saying to be a responsible/ mature and sensible driver. As I said... it's not worth it- take it to the track!

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    ......whereas, if I go 0-60 with a ricer onto a state highway, on a clear Sunday with zilch traffic, and we cool it once we hit 60, under the 65 limit, no violation

I'm pretty sure that falls under the "reckless driving" catagory......Trust me, my wallet know this one.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:
    So my question stands, are we TARGETS? Are P-cars so subtle in its image that others forget that it can haul ass too!

-tooner-

But of course, and sometimes it's better (and more fun ) to fight fire with fire. All the more reason to have a 911Turbo, with INTERNAL (not external cosmetic) performance mods., so, if there is no traffic and a clean and open road, then. . . .

I can see that Al Pettee... I dont think those guys would even bother, say coming from behind, seeing the TURBO

Well, Toons,

Actually about a month after I picked up my 996TSCab last summer, a neighbor down the street from me (high schooler driving dad's WRX-Sti ), who recognized me in my car, pulled beside me as we approached our neighborhood-still on the main drag-he floored it, but I let him go-conditions were simply not ideal-nighttime, near local parochial high school. But he knows it's a TurboS and what it could do-hopefully, when he works and saves his money, there will still be opportunities for him also to enjoy 911Turbo ownership on US roads. . . .

I agree Al Peette you are giving him something to aspire to....

Quote:
    sdy284 said:

If thats the case... I'd rather you pull your window down, say nice ride man... and ask if you can hear the engine.

After insatlling the PSE I have had a couple polite guys ask me and I was always willing to share

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:

Laughingly TRUE!...

Hey!

I'm one of those ricers! Although my 2S is due March, I still haven't sold my Skyline yet!!

Ricers aren't all young. Not all poor. And certainly don't all want something like a 911. The tuner who looks after my car doesn't understand why I would change .. The 75K I am spendinging could give me another 500bhp!

One of the cars he looks after did a 1/4mile in 9.28 at 160mph. Not bad for an old Datsun.

I find that Porsche owners challenge me as much as as anyone else (with the exception of Subaru drivers!).

Although I have to agree that racing isnt something I am really into. I am running over twice the BHP of the averge impreza. But to convinvingly outdrag one you still end up in the 130-140mph region. When I was 20 maybe. But I'm old now! mid 30's and all! Maturity and respect for life has taken hold! sigh!

With even the humble ford focus drives fast enough to make racing on the roads dangerous.

Anyway.. Almost forgot... Reason for change.. The Jap car scene has gone a bit.. ermm .. well.. Whats the best way to say it .. "Backwards facing baseball cap!"

...Add

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    warning! most sportscar drivers have stronger checkbooks than driving skills.

That's funny JIM!

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:

And if you do go, say 51 in a 35, no matter how safely you think you are driving, technically, if you are gunned at that speed on 5 separate occasions (16 over-2 points on your license), at least I believe in NY State, that's suspension of license pending a hearing, whereas, if I go 0-60 with a ricer onto a state highway, on a clear Sunday with zilch traffic, and we cool it once we hit 60, under the 65 limit, no violation, and not necessarily more dangerous than your 51 in a 35.

Yeah good point. Aw nuts, wait..., can't the cop cite you guys for wreckless driving if he feels like it? It's like ANY driving which stands out (i.e. indicates the driver enjoys his car and isn't a braindead Ford Taurus driver on a coffee break) is subject to ticketing.

In my case I see it as the county or state as too lazy to put up signs where it is "safe" to go faster.

Quote:
    Texas911 said:

Not really to demean them my good man. In the bay area I have been on the road next to GREAT Cars and when we end up pulling at a stop or pace on the interstate there seems to be more of a mutual appreciation with having a nice car.

The yunger gen... sure theey cant afford the 100 large on a p-car or an M5. I was once like that too driving a wannabe lexus IS300 BUT... I simply smiled and showed appreciation rather than REV and RUN...

It's not a matter deeper pockets but rather true car fan vs. degenerate drivers in JAP cars.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688849 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408839 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255595 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234840 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773600 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM