Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Are we RICER Targets????

It happens so often when I'm driving around leisurely and relaxingly around town, usually to the local coffee shop or before I do my bank runs...

HAAAGRRRRUVMMM!!! These EVO's, Subaru's, and most recently a Mustang whatever the heck it is riding on tactless chromes and exhausts would make themselves visible and as they roll by they give that look that says "No way P-car Punk"

At this point I shake my head and say to myself not worth it, not worth the ticket or the rubber I'm wasting, not to mention the stiff neck I'm going to get trying to look back for these guys after a few gears...

So my question stands, are we TARGETS? Are P-cars so subtle in its image that others forget that it can haul ass too!

-tooner-

Re: Are we RICER Targets????

Ignore those punks, they've watched "the fast and the furious" one too many times. Hooligans on the road as far as i'm concerned

Yes, I get that all the time. SS's, M3's, Subaru's and anybody with lowered cars and big exhausts. Personaly, I just ignore them because I have nothing to prove and its never a smart thing to race on public roads.

Quote:
    Yes, I get that all the time. SS's, M3's, Subaru's and anybody with lowered cars and big exhausts. Personaly, I just ignore them because I have nothing to prove and its never a smart thing to race on public roads.

HEY...wait a minute. I drive one of those M3's and when I see a P car I am not trying to race you. I am just admiring your ride.

I agree, nothing gained by racing on public roads.

I think we are targets toons, I get that on almost a daily basis here in the Bay Area. It's funny how the Ricers and their JC Whitney tailpipes will pass you full bore, usually at a moment when your exiting, slowing for traffic, etc.. then they will turn off so theres no chance of you getting any redemption, only to tell their friends how they "owned" a Porsche in their Riceburner. I ignore them, and only bit once when conditions were perfect, i.e late at night, no traffic, wide 4 lane road... and even then, the whole thing last maybe 5 seconds.. and then it was.. OVER. I'm getting somewhat sidetracked... yes, I get it everyday!

You Bay Area guys need to move to Marin. Not many ricers there!

Quote:
    Hollli82 said:
    Quote:

HEY...wait a minute. I drive one of those M3's and when I see a P car I am not trying to race you. I am just admiring your ride.

I agree, nothing gained by racing on public roads.

Sorry Hollli82, I was not trying to be dis-respectful. Unfortunatly, not all drivers have your "Grown-up attitude".

I'm most often "buzzed" by attention -deficit- disordered guys in old tattered VW Jettas late for their job at Best Buy. Audi A4s ( more often the 1.8T rather than the chipped grenade motored B5 S4 ) are a close second. Third are men driving minivans ! M3s and ricers pretty much ignore me.

Yes, we are. But I always try to avoid "racing" them, for obvious reasons. I don't want to drive at 100 mph through the city, I don't want to have to see one of those "kids" (most of them are younger people at around 20-25 over here in Germany) hurt or even dead. And finally, some of them don't give up, they "loose" one or two times and still keep going trying. I hate those people, they are dangerous and their actions are without brains. One reason why I avoid driving in a Porsche sportscar to the city at night, after 10 pm, it is the time of the racing kids. The worst ones are now young Turks and especially young Russians over here in my town. But there are enough dumb Germans left too I'm afraid.
    I was reckless at younger age too but I never would have done what these guys do.

Best example how dangerous it is to race them: a friend in his 964 RS raced one in the city and in one left curve with two lanes (he was on the outer lane, the Honda S2000 driver on the inner lane) at around 40-50 mph, the Honda slipped into the side of my friend's 964 RS because he (the Honda) was too fast and lost control.

My advice: if you really know what you're doing, teach them a lesson in the next narrow curve but also take in consideration that you may leave somebody hurt or even killed. Or better: just let them go, it isn't worth it. Give them the satisfaction that they have outrun a Porsche. But sometimes even I can't resist, especially when I'm driving in my Cayenne Turbo. I love seeing those shocked faces...

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. The other day while gasing up a ricer drove right by me and reved up his aftermarked exhaust almost to the point of blowing the engine. I too ignore them except once with a modified mustang in ideal conditions and just smoked him on some turns. He took the wrath from dealing with all the other wannabes. I wonder if these guys think they really can take me and what gave them that idea. Its porsche losing its luster or are these guys just messing around knowing that cannot compete but do it for attention?

I agree completely with RC. My personal experience is a bad one. Young guy(25years or something) raced with me in hid tuned Golf GTI and he lost control in left curve-ended upside down. He was in hospital for few days and I had a bitter taste in my mouth despite showing him rear end of my Boxster S... Avoid racing in city or public roads at all!
    Racing track is all different story...

Quote:
    tooner said:
    So my question stands, are we TARGETS? Are P-cars so subtle in its image that others forget that it can haul ass too!

-tooner-

But of course, and sometimes it's better (and more fun ) to fight fire with fire. All the more reason to have a 911Turbo, with INTERNAL (not external cosmetic) performance mods., so, if there is no traffic and a clean and open road, then. . . .

Why in the world would someone who has the ability to own a toy like a Turbo be risking life, liberty or loss of significant built up personal assets in " racing " some stranger kid who just lost his job ten minutes beforehand because he couldn't even get his act together to squirt mustard properly on burger buns at McDonalds ? In doing so, you immediately put yourself one level BELOW him in the Darwinian evolutionary scheme.

I believe this phenomenon will only increase in the future as the "ricers" receive more performance gains and Porsche continues its conservative path.

Let's face it... if you were the kids in the ricer you would be aware of the performance numbers and would want bragging rights. It wasn't like this in the old days when Porsche's performance was head and shoulders above these cars.

Tooner: I live in the bay area as well and haven't been "challenged" as you and greg have. Perhaps they are attracted to those who have made some modifications to the car (lowered, 20s, PSE)? Mine is just a stock 997s. Just a guess!
    The fact that they choose to challenge you - and you don't respond - means you've already won... Not acknowledging their existance hurts their "pride."

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Why in the world would someone who has the ability to own a toy like a Turbo be risking life, liberty or loss of significant built up personal assets in " racing " some stranger kid who just lost his job ten minutes beforehand because he couldn't even get his act together to squirt mustard properly on burger buns at McDonalds ? In doing so, you immediately put yourself one level BELOW him in the Darwinian evolutionary scheme.

Very well said

Have done many, many "brisk" SF-SilicVy drives on 280 via 996TTSCoupe and have never been challenged to race by ricers ....in fact, I appreciate any car (ricer/SUV/Enzo) blitzing by me, pref @120MPH+, to serve as a "free" radar detector for fellow drivers.....I "know" 280 fairly well, but that extra layer of free protection is always a nice gesture in the holiday season (and rest of yr)....

Nothing to prove, nothing to prove... too many innocent folks are maimed or killed by this stupidity. Take it to the track.

....I have to admit that I used to love the look on Boxster owners faces when I raced and beat them with my tuned Audi TT, from one red light to another.....
    Now that I own a 911, I don't bother and let the others do these 'stupid' things.... it would be too embarrassing to be beaten by a tuned Subaru

None of that her; you guys should move to nicer neighborhoods!

Quote:
    MKW said:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." (John 8:7)

I guess I'm just another Neanderthal 911Turbo owner. . . .

Living in a rural agricultural area the problems are the same, the obstructions are different. If you have a racer it may very well be some kid who wants to show you how fast his 3/4 ton four wheel drive pickup will go. You just wave and let them go on. The real obstruction is agricultural machinery. They are always bigger, heavier, slower and they may be taking up one and a half lanes. All you can do is patiently wait for them to pull over and let traffic by. However the real heart throb is popping up over a hill only to discover half a dozen fully grown Angus cattle on the highway. You will find out how good your brakes are!

it is never a good idea to race on the street. but with sti's evo's with little tuning can easily blow off a 997S. so many of them moded to run in the mid 11's

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    I think we are targets toons, I get that on almost a daily basis here in the Bay Area. It's funny how the Ricers and their JC Whitney tailpipes will pass you full bore, usually at a moment when your exiting, slowing for traffic, etc.. then they will turn off so theres no chance of you getting any redemption, only to tell their friends how they "owned" a Porsche in their Riceburner. I ignore them, and only bit once when conditions were perfect, i.e late at night, no traffic, wide 4 lane road... and even then, the whole thing last maybe 5 seconds.. and then it was.. OVER. I'm getting somewhat sidetracked... yes, I get it everyday!

I-280 has been the place where I usually let go

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    You Bay Area guys need to move to Marin. Not many ricers there!

A very expensive solution my friend...but damn good one

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:

-tooner-

But of course, and sometimes it's better (and more fun ) to fight fire with fire. All the more reason to have a 911Turbo, with INTERNAL (not external cosmetic) performance mods., so, if there is no traffic and a clean and open road, then. . . .

I can see that Al Pettee... I dont think those guys would even bother, say coming from behind, seeing the TURBO

Quote:
    vtach88 said:
    Tooner: I live in the bay area as well and haven't been "challenged" as you and greg have. Perhaps they are attracted to those who have made some modifications to the car (lowered, 20s, PSE)? Mine is just a stock 997s. Just a guess!
    The fact that they choose to challenge you - and you don't respond - means you've already won... Not acknowledging their existance hurts their "pride."

CAN.... ONLY... HOLD... THE... URGE..FOR... SO... LONG...

Quote:
    doc2s said:
    it is never a good idea to race on the street. but with sti's evo's with little tuning can easily blow off a 997S. so many of them moded to run in the mid 11's

SORRY... but I haven't met one yet, when I do then hats off... until then I'm wearing my neck collar so i dont look back.

some day you will and it will catch you by surprise.

Quote:
    doc2s said:
    some day you will and it will catch you by surprise.

C'mon guys, we are all taking ourselves too literally and to the over-interpreted extreme on this thread. It doesn't take a Ph.D. in Aeronautical Engineering to understand that all-out, all-the-time, racing on public roads is less than, shall we say, prudent, so going 100mph down Main Street at rush-hour is insane. But an occasional 0-60 run with a ricer from a stoplight on a flat and straight road in broad daylight with dry pavement away from kids, urban areas and any traffic once or twice in your life is alot less dangerous than the everyday driving that MOST members of this forum engage in on a DAILY basis-like using one's cell phone (hand-held or not, both involving conversation that focus the brain in ways that take away almost ALL concentration from the driving task-much more risky and causal in accidents than speed itself-and pathetically under-enforced, at least where I'm from), averaging 10mph over ALL speed limits (including going 35mph in a 25mph school zone-and 35mph anywhere in a 997 seems slow), eating or drinking, or fiddling with the stereo or nav. (whilst in gear). Now if anyone on this forum tried to argue that he NEVER drove past 55mph or 65mph (?75mph now in some states) in his 911, EVER, except on a track, I would NOT believe him. After all, most steady-state traffic on roads not strangled by gridlock in the US is at or above the speed limit, and that includes the tenth of a liter, one cylinder econoboxes, as well as sports cars. So, duh, I wouldn't have made it to age 40 if I drove regularly like a hooligan, but I would be dishonest if I said I never drove over the speed limit on a public highway (but only 3 speeding tickets in 25 years of driving, and NO major crashes, whether caused by me or others-just one miniscule fender bender when my I drove my father's 1980 Chevy Citation into our town hall parking lot at about 20mph, just after it was repaved and it had just started raining-$500 to adjust the suspension from when the car slid just enough to tap the curb -not that I have been "lucky," I simply drive conscientiously and when I speed, I "pick my spots." ).

Boy, is this what is becoming of 911 owners? Instead, buy an Oldsmobile, with auto tranny, parking sensors, cruise control, front and rear DIRECTV sat-TV on 20-inch screens, and pray that GM includes a package with a GPS-based speed limit-dependent rev-limiter to guarantee you never break the speed limit even if you wanted to.

Quote:
    tooner said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    tooner said:

-tooner-

I can see that Al Pettee... I dont think those guys would even bother, say coming from behind, seeing the TURBO

Well, Toons,

Actually about a month after I picked up my 996TSCab last summer, a neighbor down the street from me (high schooler driving dad's WRX-Sti ), who recognized me in my car, pulled beside me as we approached our neighborhood-still on the main drag-he floored it, but I let him go-conditions were simply not ideal-nighttime, near local parochial high school. But he knows it's a TurboS and what it could do-hopefully, when he works and saves his money, there will still be opportunities for him also to enjoy 911Turbo ownership on US roads. . . .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763808 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436155 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260887 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257855 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82579 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876569 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808516 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM