Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Hardtop: valuable option or rather worthless dust collector?

I'm considering this option for my C4S Cab order.

What do you think- is it worth it, is it useful( a bit over 2K, was standard on 996) or is it too much trouble to take off and put on, and therefore just sits collecting dust?

Re: Hardtop: valuable option or rather worthless dust collector?

I had a C2 cab and always used to put it on during the British winters. I also think it is more likely to help make a good sale of your car because it is now an option on the 997 and even though it was standard on the 996, some did not know and thought it was a great option to include in the sale of my C2 cab. I am not sure if the 996 hardtop fits the 997 Cabs.

Since you live in California I wouldn't think you need it for adverse weather. Are you thinking about it for security? My '99 came with the hardtop standard and the only time in was on my car was the day I brought it home from the dealer and the day I sold it. It was on a rack on a wall in my garage for 7 years.

The soft tops on the 997's are excellent. They do an great job keeping weather and sound outside.

Plus it is a pain to take off and put back on. It is a two man job.

Phil

It is a two person job but definitely worth it. I had it on and off for two periods of time over the six months I had my 997 C2S. I have to say that I got a lot more stares with the hardtop on then with the softop up. It really has a better profile than the 996 hard top had. It also reduced road noise.

I utilized it in Texas during July & August b/c it was too damn hot to have the top down. It made the car much easier to cool down w/ A/C.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Since you live in California I wouldn't think you need it for adverse weather. Are you thinking about it for security? My '99 came with the hardtop standard and the only time in was on my car was the day I brought it home from the dealer and the day I sold it. It was on a rack on a wall in my garage for 7 years.

The soft tops on the 997's are excellent. They do an great job keeping weather and sound outside.

Plus it is a pain to take off and put back on. It is a two man job.

Phil

I agree. Although I've never had the hardtop, I can say this: We both live in CA! The quality of the softop is outstanding, keeps the wind noise out, etc, and IMO looks beter aesthetically. I saw a hardtop on a cab the other day, it is just very obvious it is a fabricated top plopped on top of a cab, does not create the lines of the regular hardtop S.. Just MHO, of course, I wouldn't bother with it

~~~worthless dust collector~~~

I didn't get one but I do have one for my sl500. I do put it on during the winter season here in california. I think the only reason to have one is if you plan to use it in the rain or snow. I choose not to drive the 997 in the rain only because of the mud and dirt that accumulates on the car which equates to sratches when washing.

I have a hardtop for my Cab, and it goes on the car about this time of the year, and stays on until March or so. I live in Northern Ca. and it dies get a little cooler up this way. The car is much quieter and aerodynamic with the hardtop on. I usually pick up 2-3 MPG with it on.

This last Labor Day we went on a trip to Las Vegas via Death Valley, and my wife insisted that I put the hardtop on. I must say that for this long hot trip, having the hardtop insulation for sound and temperature was a pretty good idea.

Most of the time the top is stored in its closet, but it does come in handy. If you have a place to keep it when not in use, then I would recommend getting it. With the 997 the latching mechanism is only installed if you purchase the hardtop with your order. it can be retrofitted, but that is an expensive proposition. So if you have even the slightest feeling that you would like to have it, then order it with the car.

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    ~~~worthless dust collector~~~

Totally agree. A cab is a cab is a cab...

I had two 996 cab that came with it , back then it was not an option . Never used it , had to store it and the thing is very hard to put on or take off . The cabs top is so good with lots of steel under the canvas I do not think you need it .

you bought a cab for a reason, why try and make it look like a coupe

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

What do you think- is it worth it, is it useful( a bit over 2K, was standard on 996) or is it too much trouble to take off and put on, and therefore just sits collecting dust?

So far, my hardtop has collected 5 months of dust since my July 996TSCab purchase. I'll probably get around to putting it on, once I convince myself that winter is "truly" here in upstate New York, the below-freezing temperatures and lake-effect snow all over the place nothwithstanding.

Quote:
    hamilton93 said:
    you bought a cab for a reason, why try and make it look like a coupe

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Along with my Ceramic Brakes and PSE, the hard top is on top of my best options list.

2 screws at the back and a flip of the latch in the front and it's off...or on.

72 lbs...It's like having 2 cars in 1

I would like to have it for resale but not sure I would use it.

I have it and it comes handy in winter specially if you get caught in rain. I have it on now but miss the cab look. Coupe is so boring
    Can't wait to take it off end of Feb. I negotiated and got mine at no charge.

dust collector.... totally useless.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

We all have opinions that are different. I will tell you that most people that bought the Cabs in Florida where I live found them to be in the way and never put them on their cars. I worked for Champion Porsche for 8 years selling and we had 20-30 hardtops sitting around where owners picked up their new cars and would not come back to get their hardtop. They sold some online and threw the rest in the garbage. Dust collector in my opinion.

All of this talk about resale value...

If somebody isn't going to pay an extra $2K for Nav on a pre-owned car, why would they consider paying in full for the top? It is a nuisance if you are not in an area with harsh winter weather. If you have one of the little trolleys to keep your roof on, you will move it to one side of the garage or the other as your demands on the space change. If you WANT to chase 80 lbs. around, get a BIG dog.

Thanks a lot for your input everyone! Interesting!

It looks like the nays have it by more than 2 to 1.

I guess I'll only get it if I can negotiate it as part of the deal. After just seeing a post by Dr. Phil (Porsche Forum: Porsches in the snow), Cab with top down in the snow, who really needs a hardtop!

Re: Hardtop: valuable option or rather worthless dust collec

I'd Consider it... if it gave the same lines as the coupe... otherwise the rule stands... CAB's a CAB!

-tooner-

It is more than a Cab

The Cabriolet is the most versatile Porsche in that it is 3 cars in one.

It is:

An Open Car
    A Soft Top Car
    and if you choose,
    A Hard Top Car

with this car you are in style no matter what the occasion.

Re: It is more than a Cab

Quote:
    Orient Express said:
    The Cabriolet is the most versatile Porsche in that it is 3 cars in one.

It is:

An Open Car
    A Soft Top Car
    and if you choose,
    A Hard Top Car

with this car you are in style no matter what the occasion.

Orient Express,

Fantastic gallery of your beautiful baby- love the color! Your avatar is awesome too

Any problems with lines, dirt, etc. on your Grey top ( my choice)? I know- old topic.

Thanks again!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

Any problems with lines, dirt, etc. on your Grey top ( my choice)? I know- old topic.

Thanks again!

Not really any problems. I keep the top coated with the Porsche version of Scotchguard, and go over it with a lint roller to keep it clean. There are some slight fold lines on the B section, but overall it has been fine.

Re: Hardtop: valuable option or rather worthless dust collec

Quote:
    dan996 said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

We all have opinions that are different. I will tell you that most people that bought the Cabs in Florida where I live found them to be in the way and never put them on their cars. I worked for Champion Porsche for 8 years selling and we had 20-30 hardtops sitting around where owners picked up their new cars and would not come back to get their hardtop. They sold some online and threw the rest in the garbage. Dust collector in my opinion.

Wow I sure which I could have gotten one of those you threw in the trash!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690806 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410067 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256152 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235378 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858737 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775022 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM