Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Wheel cleaning - my personal obsession ; tips/advice?

Okay-

They're just 18" Carrera III's. They're factory issue, no chrome, no special paint, no bling.

But I can't stand them not being SPOTLESS clean all the time. When I look inside beyond the spokes, I want to see a squeaky clean shiny rim that I could eat my lunch off of.

In the first six weeks of ownership I've had the car profesionally detailed (on arrival), and I've washed the car twice. But I've gone through and done just the WHEELS ONLY on two other occassions in between washings. All this and the car still only has 600 miles on it

Now I actually don't mind spending the time (taking every opportunity) to keep my baby clean, but what frustrates me is as soon as I drive the car one block, there's greasy, oliy black residue splattered all over the inside of my rims from the brake rotors/calipers

I tried using my air compressor, that didn't help.

Then I tried washing the wheels, flushing the rotors and calipers best as possible, going for a 'dry run', then re-washing the wheels again (taking care not to get water on the rotors), only to get LESS greasy, oliy black residue splattered all over the inside of my rims the second time around.

So yesterday I just settled with doing one 'dry run', then wiping the grease off (or smearing is more like it). Now I've got a freshly washed wheels with a light film of black crud, topped with another light film of Zymol Quick Detailer wax

Bossman, Stradale? Anyone? Can you tell me what I can do to improve this process, or should I see a therapist and not worry about what the inside of my rims look like?

BTW, the inside of my exhaust tips constantly need attention....but that's entirely different thread

Re: Wheel cleaning - my personal obsession ; tips/advice?

It drives me slightly nuts as well. All I can tell you is to coat the entire wheel in a good teflon polymer product, like the Michelin brake dust reducer that is an easy spray-on, buff off deal. It won't do much to reduce the accumulation, but it DOES make wiping it clean easier. I've basically resigned myself to keeping the outer surfaces of the wheels clean, between wash jobs, and only tackling the insides when I wash the car. It aint perfect, but it's the best balance of my sanity and my patience.

Wheel cleaning - my tips

I have the Carrera II wheels on my 996, and I like to keep them clean as well. They are very easy to clean, and I can get them looking spotless with just a wet microfiber towel.

The prep is best done with the tire and wheel off the car so that you can get at all of the inside of the rim easily.

First off since this is a new car, there is probably still cosmoline residue on the rim. I have found that to remove light cosmoline residue, that 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner - 08984 works very well. I use a paper towel wetted with this cleaner to get all of the residue off the rim. For heavier deposits of Cosmoline, use Mineral Spirits to loosen it off followed by the 3M product. Use a toothbrush to get into the crevices behind the spokes.

After the rim is clean, then coat the front and back of the rim with Rejex, wipe it off and let it cure overnight (You can put the rims back on the car while the Rejex is curing). It will last longer if you put two coats on, letting it cure 8 hours between application. Rejex will set up a coating that will prevent the majority of brake dust, etc. from sticking to the rim. Some dust will still adhere due to the electrostatic charge a wheel gets, but it will wipe right off with a wet towel.

To further enhance the look of the wheel, take some 000 grade steel wool, and polish the lead wheel weights. They will polish up nice and shiny. Be careful not to scratch the rim surface around the weight.

I also apply Rejex to the brake caliper to keep them clean.

Now to your comment about black goop that shows up on the rims after washing them and driving for a while. This goop is wet brake dust that is in the vent vanes of the rotor. The best way to prevent this is to take a pressure washer to the holes on the rotor to wash out the vent vanes, and then take a towel and wipe the edge of the rotor dry. After a few time of cleaning the rotor this way, the goop will stop. Besides if you apply Rejex to the rim, you don't need to take a hose to it to clean it, just a wet rag. The only time you will need to wash the rims is after driving in the rain or when you go off-roading in your car.

Here is a picture of a rear wheel on the car. Keep in mind this car has 45,000 miles on it.

For your exhaust tips, they are stainless steel, and polish up quite nicely with a buffing wheel. Once again, Rejex will keep them shiny and prevent them from getting the brown patina on them that exhaust heat causes.

This is what I do to address my wheels and exhaust tips. There are others that may have different techniques.

Re: Wheel cleaning - my tips

Quote:
    Orient Express said:
    The prep is best done with the tire and wheel off the car so that you can get at all of the inside of the rim easily.

throt..

I just spray McGuire quick detailer on the wheels and wipe it right off. Since I drive my Porsche on weekends only, I hardly ever wash it and spray this stuff on the car and wipe the dust. vaccum the interior, clean the glass and armor all the tires, done in 20 minutes.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    I just spray McGuire quick detailer on the wheels and wipe it right off. Since I drive my Porsche on weekends only, done in 20 minutes.

Detailer spray is a great thing to use to keep the wheels clean. I use it as well when I am prepping the car at a Concours. Best results are obtained by first preparing and coating the wheels with Rejex first.

Use a pressure washer (about 130 psi). Quite cheap now but careful as they can tear your skin apart at close proximity.

What is Rejex and where do you buy it??

130 psi could blow your wheel weights off, and it still doesn't get them 100% clean, you've still gotta wipe it by hand to get behind spokes, and get the last bit of film removed. And by the time you roll that sucker out of the garage, hook it up, gas it up, and then put it all away, you could have hand washed all four wheels, in less time, with better results...

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    What is Rejex and where do you buy it??

You can go here to check it out:
    http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Phil

Here is the automotive channel distributor of Rejex.

They also support PCA by providing sponsorship to the Zone 7 Concours Series.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    130 psi could blow your wheel weights off, and it still doesn't get them 100% clean.

This is quite true. In fact when I have new tires installed, I use a pressure washer and 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover to safely and cleanly remove the wheel weights and the foam tape.

A pressure washer will clean 95% of the dirt residue off of a surface, but you will still need to use a sponge or towel to remove all of the grime film.

However for cleaning out the brake rotor vanes, a pressure washer with the 5 degree (yellow) nozzle pointed at the holes on the rotor will clean the rotor out very well.

Good stuff thanks PS CA

I found a great brush that allows me to clean the "inside/hub" portion of my rim. I bought the brush from http://www.superiorcarcare.net/derewiwhbr.html. I bought the 16" Wire Wheel Brush. Works well for me.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I found a great brush that allows me to clean the "inside/hub" portion of my rim. I bought the brush from http://www.superiorcarcare.net/derewiwhbr.html. I bought the 16" Wire Wheel Brush. Works well for me.

Sorry had an error on the link. Here it is:
    http://www.superiorcarcare.net/derewiwhbr.html

BEST advice ever: get PCCB next time.

Sorry took so long to reply back; I stepped out of the office for what was supposed to be only an hour, but for some reason, my 997 just wouldn't turn around and head back! Try as I might, I found myself struggling for the better part of 2 1/2 hours before my baby would let me drive her back to work

Thanks guys for the info. As always much appreciated

Orient!! Now that's what I'm talking about
    When I have accumulated that many miles on mine, I hope my wheels (and everything else) looks as good as yours. Well done
    The pressure washer idea is perhaps the missing link. I probably would have tried it already; it must have slipped my mind because I somehow broke my pressure washer last year and have yet to replace it
    I'll use it to flush the calipers and rotors.

As for removing the wheels for cleaning, sounds a bit too anal doesn't it.
    Well guess what? I just ordered both the jack pad and the 'special' lug socket (how special is it really?) just for this very purpose
    I'm also in need of a torque wrench which I'll be picking up this week (in conjunction with a pressure washer now!)

Bossnine- I do use a wheel protectant (Zymol) which is probably similar to the Michilen product you described. It does seem to work really well with the wheel cleaner once I goto rinse everything off.
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that likes the inside of the wheels clean. I think I'm going to just concentrate on the outside of the rims in between washings, and pull the rims off on major detail days (probably once a month).

When I run out of wheel protectant I'm going to give the Rejex a try. Let me know how you make out edz61!

Quote:
    RC said:

HAHAHAHAHA ROFL!!

You bet RC, my next P-Car will have all the performance goodies, including PCCB

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

I was given something similar to this brush; it's a Mcguiar's product-can't remember the exact name of it right off hand but I've been reluctant to take it out of the package and use it.

I know you're going to think I'm crazy and paranoid but I can't help but look at those bristles and think that they will scratch the wheel surfaces. I'm wrong right? That's what gave me the idea to go with the rubber glove and just use my hand to spread the cleaner with. I feel any small object that the initial rinse missed, grab it with my fingers, hose it off and get back to the wheel knowing I didn't scratch anything.

I realize I'm in need of help. If anyone knows of any reputable therapists in O.C. or North County feel free to PM me

Quote:
    MHakkinen said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

I was given something similar to this brush; it's a Mcguiar's product-can't remember the exact name of it right off hand but I've been reluctant to take it out of the package and use it.

I know you're going to think I'm crazy and paranoid but I can't help but look at those bristles and think that they will scratch the wheel surfaces. I'm wrong right? That's what gave me the idea to go with the rubber glove and just use my hand to spread the cleaner with. I feel any small object that the initial rinse missed, grab it with my fingers, hose it off and get back to the wheel knowing I didn't scratch anything.

I realize I'm in need of help. If anyone knows of any reputable therapists in O.C. or North County feel free to PM me

I have used mine for a couple of months and have not had any issues with scratches. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
    RC said:

I will get PCCB next time. Now I don't know how much PCCB will cost when it is time to have the brakes worked on.

Don't underestimate compressed air. The brake dust builds up inside the rotors until no more dust can fit/stick inside them. Then you have nothing "buffering" the deposits of new dust onto the visible parts of the wheel.

make sure you use a decent nozzle such as:

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    bstew said:

Yep, that's a good one. I agree; got one too.

I get my Rejex from this fellow, plus he's a sponsor here.
    http://www.bumperplugs.com/
    I see he has it on special (for December) for just $14.95

Quote:
    Poseur (dweiser) said:
    I get my Rejex from this fellow, plus he's a sponsor here.
    http://www.bumperplugs.com/
    I see he has it on special (for December) for just $14.95

I'll vouch for Eric; done biz w/ him before. I got my door plug from him

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Don't underestimate compressed air. The brake dust builds up inside the rotors until no more dust can fit/stick inside them. Then you have nothing "buffering" the deposits of new dust onto the visible parts of the wheel.

Hey MMD, where did ya find that nozzle?

I don't see it in my Griot's Christmas catalog

Quote:
    MHakkinen said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Hey MMD, where did ya find that nozzle?

I don't see it in my Griot's Christmas catalog

LOL. Actually they're calling it a blow gun.

http://www.airtxinternational.com/catalog/blow_guns.php

You can get a long one that's simpler. Or modify your current one so it's more like a wand. You really have to get "in there" to get all of it out.

Quote:
    MMD said:

So you use this to blow the brake dust from the wheels and it helps keep them clean? Do you do this while washing the car or between washes?

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

So you use this to blow the brake dust from the wheels and it helps keep them clean? Do you do this while washing the car or between washes?

With compressed air, best results are achieved when the rotor is dry. Furthermore, he's not suggesting you use it to blow your wheels, he's suggesting you use it to blow out the cross-drilled holes in your rotors, where alot of dust accumulates, which compounds the problem of the wheels getting funky in a short amoung of time.

BTW, do it when it's windy and blowing away from everything. Also wear a dust mask and plan to jump into the shower soon after. You also want to do a California dusting of the car if you don't wash it. Brake dust isn't very nice, like, say, baby powder. Sounds like alot of trouble? Yes, but obsessions are costly, effort-filled ritualistic behavioral manifestations of deeply held intra-psychic tensions caused by nonspecific unresolved neurotic conflicts.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762396 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435331 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257559 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872249 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807618 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM