Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche, do you listen? 997 Turbo Performance.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Gallardo sales have been increasing. The 2006 with another 20 hp and revised gear ratios is a much improved and faster car. Amazingly they even offer a "winter package" with extra wheels and winter tires! At least they intend for owners to use their cars. The Gallardo is fast becoming the anti boutique exotic car and is building its own legion of followers bored with Ferrari and its social stigmata. Its not easy for Lambo to climb up from nothing in the 200K price range, but they have done it.

The SL55 is Obsolete, Yesterdays News. The SL63 is coming! Porsche would be incompetent to not have a car ready to deal with new models from competitors. If indeed the SL55 two door rocket couch was ever real competition anyway! Who buys those SL's? The comfort crowd, its not a sports car, its a car for old ladies to drive in Palm Springs and Boca Raton.

Porsche's Turbo mission should be to lead in ALL performance categories. It should be a ruthless performer with brutal
    accelleration, braking and handling. It should make Ferrari
    owners cringe and Corvette Z06 owners realize they need to spend double to get a real sports car.

And if anyone working at Weissach reads this, just what the heck have you been doing with that Black C6 Corvette coupe you have there? Is that one of the Mallet 427 conversions
    that was shipped to Germany this summer

Gallardo sales have been "increasing" from what to what???? What are G-car sales vs original projecs??? Numbers please.....and what are G-car resale values vs 430/996TTS/SL55???? And how many of these allegedly obsolete and out-of-favor cars from F/P/Merc were sold into US mkt YTD vs G-car??

Have you actually ever driven 996TTS/430/Gallardo/SL55 in the twisties to draw your conclusions....or do you just bench-race them????

Seriously, doing yourself a disfavor to not drive these cars yourself (at least 50-100 mi each) to draw rational conclusions as opposed to regurgitating crap that car rags write (guys whose paychecks are written by car cos. in the form of ads)...and what guys post on the net (based on what their brother-in-law's pal says and what they read in a car rag).....

Its pure unidulterated crap to say that the SL55 is a sports car in the same vein as a 996TT, F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo. Its not, it never has been and was never designed to be, except for the SL300 of the fifties.

As for Lamborghinis sales figures, they only point to success.

2002 : 424 units - No Gallardos.
    2003 : 1,357 units - including 933 Gallardos
    2004 : 1,592 units - including 1126 Gallardos
    2005 : 1,592 units - estimated to be same as 2004 due to Factory imposed limit of production chosen by Stephan Winkelmann, the head of Lamborghini S.p.A. Those figures are from Automobili Lamborghini and Audi sales reports.

The 2006 Gallardo is a much improved car over previous MY
    Gallardos.

YOU should go drive one back to back with a Palm Springs SL,
    and its YOU who can now un twisty yourself for implying that Gallardo sales had not been a success.Lamborghini
    Gallardo sales did really well considering the size of its dealer network.

Resale? Its pretty damn good for a exotic. Is its resale as good as a F430? No. Is it as good as a 996TT, pretty damn close.

Cheers!

Jim, I posted the Sport Auto Gallardo SE numbers on the Sports cars board. They weren't really impressed with the straight line performance on that thing... Hardly any faster than a stock 996 Turbo and definately slower than the X50.

Evo got some pretty good numbers for the 06 and so did Top Gear for the 05. Evo is usually accurate, Top Gear is pure entertainment and Sport Auto is usully dead serious. I wont speculate about Sport Auto's test results.

All in all its a solid, fast four wheel drive mid engine sports car. Just how many choices are there in the mid engine four wheel drive sports car market? 3?

heres a link to a F430/Gallardo test,
    http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22750-1878325,00.html

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Evo got some pretty good numbers for the 06 and so did Top Gear for the 05. Evo is usually accurate, Top Gear is pure entertainment and Sport Auto is usully dead serious. I wont speculate about Sport Auto's test results.

All in all its a solid, fast four wheel drive mid engine sports car. Just how many choices are there in the mid engine four wheel drive sports car market? 3?

heres a link to a F430/Gallardo test,
    http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22750-1878325,00.html

Yes, I myself was surprised by the discrepancies between Sport Auto and the other magazine tests. Maybe they just got a bad car?

Very passionate post RC, and one which most on here can relate to. The problem is, as has already been cited here:

95% of 997 turbo customers are not like US on here - I know maybe 10 people who will definately have the first 997tts to come in the UK - they have very little idea about the passion of Porsche enthusiasts, they just want the top of the current Porsche range - they wouldn't care if it was based on the 3.8S block or the 964/GT1 block. 520hp is IMO too much for the 997tt bearing these 95% of customers - remember the shape of the power curve (especially with these new turbos) is going to be unlike any competitors and if it has 520 max hp, it will likely have 500 from 4000rpm - it will be too quick for the 95%.
    For the enthusiasts, there are the Tuners (or the X50 kit) and the tuners WILL have a field day with this new platform. I think particulary since the 993tt, the tuned offerings have really benefitted Porsche's image -

Fastest Production car round the ring - Edo Porsche , fastest racer round the ring, Alzen Porsche - Tuner GP winner, Cargraphic Porsche.

No you'll get 480/90 hp and enthusiasts will have THE BEST platform to create the monster they desire.

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Very passionate post RC, and one which most on here can relate to. The problem is, as has already been cited here:

95% of 997 turbo customers are not like US on here - I know maybe 10 people who will definately have the first 997tts to come in the UK - they have very little idea about the passion of Porsche enthusiasts, they just want the top of the current Porsche range - they wouldn't care if it was based on the 3.8S block or the 964/GT1 block. 520hp is IMO too much for the 997tt bearing these 95% of customers - remember the shape of the power curve (especially with these new turbos) is going to be unlike any competitors and if it has 520 max hp, it will likely have 500 from 4000rpm - it will be too quick for the 95%.
    For the enthusiasts, there are the Tuners (or the X50 kit) and the tuners WILL have a field day with this new platform. I think particulary since the 993tt, the tuned offerings have really benefitted Porsche's image -

Fastest Production car round the ring - Edo Porsche , fastest racer round the ring, Alzen Porsche - Tuner GP winner, Cargraphic Porsche.

No you'll get 480/90 hp and enthusiasts will have THE BEST platform to create the monster they desire.

A very well thought out post, I must say. The tuners will probably have less business with the 997TT than they had with the 996. A TTS with the powerkit will probably be faster than a Ruf 550.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:

A very well thought out post, I must say. The tuners will probably have less business with the 997TT than they had with the 996. A TTS with the powerkit will probably be faster than a Ruf 550.

Not sure if you are being sincere or sarcastic here - if sarcastic and you think the 997tt will not be tuned, think again, the Variable vane turbos will bring a whole new dimension to the tunability - to those tuners who can.

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:

Not sure if you are being sincere or sarcastic here - if sarcastic and you think the 997tt will not be tuned, think again, the Variable vane turbos will bring a whole new dimension to the tunability - to those tuners who can.

No, I was being totally serious. Given that the TTS will probably have around 525 HP from the factory (closer to 550 in real life), adding a power kit on top of that and coupled with the superior torque curve characteristics of the VTG turbochargers, one really starts to wonder how many people will actually want to tune their cars. If it can do 0-200 km/h in under 11 seconds and top out at 330 km/h it's an extremely fast car right out of the box, although there's no doubt in my mind that mine is going to get modified at some point

My thoughts exactly, especially the bit about 525 Porsche hp being BIG horses. 0-200kph in under 11s is seriously fast and beyond the capabilities or desires of most of the 95% How many people traded in their GT2s 'cos they were "widow makers" OK I know that had a lot to with the RWD and lack of driver aids, but still, that 95% don't want to end up in BIG accidents.

RC thanks for your view, which I respect. As this is one of my first posts, I don't want to be too harsh, but you have certainly forgot a main aspect in our current automotive industry and that's simply environment friendliness.
    So please Porsche: Don't bore us with the next step in the power war like other manufactures. Rather show us how to build sophisticated sport cars with low fuel consuption. Personally I don't care if a Z06 will outrun a 997 Turbo as this is the wrong guidline.
    I hope Porsche will listen more to environment aspects in the future!

Quote:
    jesse said:
    RC thanks for your view, which I respect. As this is one of my first posts, I don't want to be too harsh, but you have certainly forgot a main aspect in our current automotive industry and that's simply environment friendliness.
    So please Porsche: Don't bore us with the next step in the power war like other manufactures. Rather show us how to build sophisticated sport cars with low fuel consuption. Personally I don't care if a Z06 will outrun a 997 Turbo as this is the wrong guidline.

Jesse, you're obviously on the wrong forums. These are sports cars we are talking about. Certainly, environmental friendliness should be igh on the manufacturers' agenda, but not at the expense of performance. And if I am to fork out over 150.000 Euros for a car it sure as hell better be able to beat an 80.000 Euro C6Z.

The 997 Turbo will probably weigh 400-500 lbs more than a Z06
    and have less power, so adjust your shopping plans.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Well it is a " Porker " ..

throt..

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Yeah, someone a few posts back got everyone fixated on the essentially worthless 0-60MPH comparo of 996TTS vs 993TTS....

IMO, the two most relevant performance comparo metrics are N-ring times and driving feel of car on one's favorite set of twisties (prob largely in the 40-80MPH range)......

I got everyone "fixated on the essentially worthless 0-60MPH comparo of 996TTS vs 993TTS," because the comparo isn't worthless. 0-60MPH times are NOT merely measures of a car's ability to beat some "burgerflipper" at a stoplight drag race, but is a good measure of a car's ability to quickly transduce its engine's power into torque to produce the necessary force to turn the drivetrain's wheels without the aid of momentum, especially from first (and usually second-the new ZO6 notwithstanding) gear. From 40-80MPH tests similar ability but with momentum, and usually in second (occasionally third) gear. While some cars are indeed astonishingly faster 0-60MPH than some cars that begin to pull away from the former over 100MPH, most cars 0-60MPH are of similar relative ability 40-80MPH-partly the reason 0-60MPH times are uselful for comparing cars' performance. Yes, times from 0-100MPH, 0-125MPH, 40-80MPH, or 100-150MPH are all important, as is driving "feel," not quantifiable-why slalom or course (like NBR) times are helpful. It definitely says alot that the supposedly "updated" model (the 996TTS) vs the older model (the 993TTS) is slower 0-60MPH (and not superior either BTW from 0-100MPH). It says that the older model was an amazing car, competitive even today with almost all mass-production street-legal vehicles manufactured.

Quote:
    TB993tt said:

TB993tt,

Yes, we DO know (as does P marketing) that a large number of 911Turbo buyers will buy these cars ONLY because they will have a badge on the rear that says "Turbo" with no desire or intention (and, most importantly, ability) to come close to taking advantage of the car's abilities. They will never even break the speed limit (very easy to do in the USA ), or approach it rapidly, and they'll own it for less than a year-until some other supposedly "exclusive" vehicle comes 'round-they will be more obsessed with resale values and what their office colleagues "think" of the car, rather than whether they can get an adrenaline rush by driving the car as spiritedly as possible without sustaining a suspended driver's license. Yes, P could be "safe" with the 997TT, and alot of people will still buy it. The two important reasons for criticizing this marketing approach are:
    (1) For selfish reasons, enthusiasts eventually will tire of the 911Turbo, as the competition has become much more sophisticated, so we will be disappointed short-term for not getting the car of which we dreamed; and
    (2) For reasons important to Porsche, once the enthusiasts "move on," the buyers described above (who value the "Turbo" badge only because the enthusiasts do) will also move on, and Porsche will lose more than just the 5% of us.

Also, the 997TT might pose some problems for tuners separate from its power rating, the VTG (and possibly other as of yet unannounced) technology in the 997TT might make it more difficult for tuners to simply "ramp up" the car through traditional means such as flashing the ECU, although I will follow with high interest (almost as much as for the 997TT release itself) the tuners' activity as they scramble to power up the 997TT. Of course, groups like RUF and Evolution Motorsports have come out with tuned 997's (the former a TT-using "traditional" turbos., the latter a supercharged version), but to modify a 997TT will take other innovations.

Quote:
    jesse said:

The truth is: my Cayenne Turbo eats up to 39 litres/100 km at top speed (Autobahn for a few minutes), since I've installed the powerkit, fuel consumption has slightly dropped but the truck still needs around 21-22 litres/100 km when driven in the city or outside of the city at medium speeds. If I pay that much money for a car, sorry to be too harsh , I give a damn about fuel consumption.
    Sorry for being that blunt but I have a slightly different view on environmental issues.

For that kind of money, I want maximum performance and not maximum fuel efficiency. And again I have to be blunt: if somebody REALLY cares about environmental issues (and I respect ALL opinions and beliefs), he doesn't buy a Porsche. Period. Sounding too harsh? Right. But it is the reality. This is actually one thing I never liked in Germany: people spend 100000 Euro for a Diesel because of "environmental" issues. The truth is: it is about money and being "political correct". Taking in consideration the energy needed to produce a 911 Turbo and the fuel and oil this car needs, not to speak about tire wear, etc., there is no environmental friendly 911 Turbo.
    You want to do something for the environment: DO IT RIGHT, buy a 3l Volkswagen, even our delivery Smart eats only 4-5 litres with a 61 HP turbo engine and REALLY do something for the environment. But please let us Porsche drivers enjoy POWER because I don't need to spend that kind of money for the environment, sorry.
    And whoever does, should have a reality check.

If Porsche becomes another BMW, I'll move forward. Lamborghini comes to my mind and I even can't exclude going for a Ferrari. A "green" 911? Sorry, not my type of car.

Quote:
    jesse said:

If you really believe the internal combustion engine "damages" the environment (I vowed not to debate the theory of global warming on this forum), then don't drive any car again-even with very low fuel consumption. Rather, get a bicycle-like they used to do in China-now being traded in over there for the automobile. Besides, the impetus for human beings to stop burning fossil fuels for power for transportation will be the market-when a barrel of oil gets consistently > $100.00USD, the extra incentive to develop-and buy-vehicles that don't use gasoline will change producer and consumer behavior, not a political force.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

The turbo has always been faster than or as fast as cars with more power and sometimes also less weight (weight is not so important at higher speeds anyhow).

Examples? The 996TTS is already as fast or faster than 430, Gallardo, M6. All these cars have 40 to 60hp more than the TTS...

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    jesse said:

If you really believe the internal combustion engine "damages" the environment (I vowed not to debate the theory of global warming on this forum), then don't drive any car again-even with very low fuel consumption. Rather, get a bicycle-like they used to do in China-now being traded in over there for the automobile. Besides, the impetus for human beings to stop burning fossil fuels for power for transportation will be the market-when a barrel of oil gets consistently > $100.00USD, the extra incentive to develop-and buy-vehicles that don't use gasoline will change producer and consumer behavior, not a political force.

True. Although I do believe that cars contribute significantly to global warming, which, let's face it, is real, we're not going to accomplish much by simply switching to a hydrogenelectrohybrid( ) Flat-6 engines. Ethanol might prove to be a good solution, once they are able to produce it in sufficient enough quantities to make it comercially viable. Besides, look at the Asians. We can switch to the flower-child lifestyle right now, but they're gonna continue doing what they're doing anyhow...

Quote:
    jesse said:

Don't forget that over 60% of 911s manufactured during the last 40 years are still on the road - how many other manufacturers can claim that figure?

Gaz

Nice open letter, RC!

I agree, fully. Mind you I sold a 996 turbo with 450 hp kit for a 996 GT3; at the end I found satisfaction with an amazing 993 TT with S specs including factory 450 hp kit. I do expect 997 TT to put a shade on this almost oldtimer which stil rules among Porsche recent sports car (cgt excluded of course).

Cheers
    SM

With the poor quality issues (Bad paint and Bondo in my new car) and bad service I'm getting from PCNA the 997tt will have to break the 500hp window for me to even look at another new P car.

I'm shopping for a Mint 993 Turbo just so I can have one of the cars that Porsche used to be known for.

As they say in Texas .. "They need to dance with the one's that brung um"

Quote:
    chuck said:
    With the poor quality issues (Bad paint and Bondo in my new car) and bad service I'm getting from PCNA the 997tt will have to break the 500hp window for me to even look at another new P car.

I'm shopping for a Mint 993 Turbo just so I can have one of the cars that Porsche used to be known for.

As they say in Texas .. "They need to dance with the one's that brung um"

Chuck, I'm afraid Porsche quality has never been THAT good in the past, you just were unlucky. I owned them all, 993, 996 and 997. I can't say the 993 was the worst since I got one of the first 996 back in 1996/1997 but the 993 had many issues too, especially if you're looking for things like paint, etc.

My wife's Boxster S is almost 6 months old now. Almost 5000 km on the speedo. NO problems at all, NOTHING. Same with my Cayenne Turbo, just a micro switch (rear hatch lock) and a "hung" PCM system (which has been solved resetting it).

You had bad luck, I'm afraid. And if PCNA wasn't too reluctant to help you, you may have been unlucky again.
    I have my issues too with Porsche but they're usually things of "principle" and not serious issues. I would like them to listen to us longtime customers and to improve their products by taking our comments as a start but sometimes I just have the feeling, they're ignoring us completely.

Perhaps if we get some official shareholders on here Porsche will listen?

Quote:
    boytronic said:
    Perhaps if we get some official shareholders on here Porsche will listen?

The company has two classes of stock, and the only ones that have voting rights are those held by the family. Non-family shareholders, whether they be insititutions or individuals are treated as Porsche customers are ... "this is what we are and have to sell, take it or leave it". In other words, the arrogance the company can sometimes exhibit is distributed fairly widely as far as I have seen, but obviously mine is just a limited sample.

I just heard that the cab will NOT be available at the same time as the coupe. Most probably around September 2006 or perhaps even later

Quote:
    Rami said:
    I just heard that the cab will NOT be available at the same time as the coupe. Most probably around September 2006 or perhaps even later

Well, September 2006 would be at the same time since most customers worldwide won't even see a Coupe showcar before Sept. But I also doubt the introduction at the same time since it seems that 997 Turbo Coupe (pre-)orders already seem to be going very well.

Quote:
    RC said:
    But I also doubt the introduction at the same time since it seems that 997 Turbo Coupe (pre-)orders already seem to be going very well.

Well, to all that pre-ordered a 997TT coupe: plz cancel your order and get a cab in stead! That way they just MIGHT present the cab at the same time

Quote:
    Rami said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    But I also doubt the introduction at the same time since it seems that 997 Turbo Coupe (pre-)orders already seem to be going very well.

Well, to all that pre-ordered a 997TT coupe: plz cancel your order and get a cab in stead! That way they just MIGHT present the cab at the same time

Rami,

Does your post imply that you are no longer "straying" and gave up on your Lambo flirtation?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Rami said:

Well, September 2006 would be at the same time since most customers worldwide won't even see a Coupe showcar before Sept. But I also doubt the introduction at the same time since it seems that 997 Turbo Coupe (pre-)orders already seem to be going very well.

Given there's talk of a Cayenne TurboS in '06, I'd be surprised to see only a plain 997Turbo in '06...even the badge-happy marketers prob realize that it's silly to have only a TurboS minivan version out there while the flagship supercar is missing the TurboS version....and the financial types at P prob understand that the 997TTS ratchets up P's profit margins, right????...and the marketers realize that it's the 997TTS that the techies/hedgies in SF/Greenwich are anxiously awaiting, right?????.....after all, the CayenneTurboS is merely an upscale, fast minivan (very profitable for P but very unsatisfying for any alpha-male P buyer) for wives/ex-wives/nannies to ferry rugrats to prep school, etc....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774045 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    439885 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261837 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260127 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84717 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879028 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    813730 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM