Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 718 Boxster

I am all in favor for the old 6 cylinder . I did try the 718 and it is a good car . Sound is even ok , i find ( if do not compare it to the 6 cylinder when reving at 6500 rpm , but take it just for what it is ) 

What I am implying , is that for the wast majority of people, the 718 is the better car and they won't give a damm about the old 6 cylinder .  They will like the torque of the turbo 4 and feel they have a very powerful car and be happy with that .   

The other day I talked to a guy who owns a Carrera . He loves his car, a dream come true , but does not even know how many cylinder  it has, nor the horsepower . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

The more often I do see a 718 I have to say that this car looks at least one class lower than the previous Boxster. I don't even talk about performance or cylinders, but the simple fact of putting that much black plastic, adding those cheap looking rear lights, removing all those hot details on the front - that makes the car looking like a Mazda Miata or Fiata Barchetta class. 

I have to admit that after my drive in the 2.0 liter Boxster I was surprised on how good the car is. Performance was outstanding, and even the sound was OK (not comparable with the 6 cylinder). Question was whether it made sense to pay such a high price for not such an special technical configuration.

Still love the uniqueness of my GT4!

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Mikla:

Goes without saying Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Mikla:

That GT4 is a keeper. It not only performance great, it looks absolutely stunning and adorable. 

The Boxster S at my dealer has a price tag of almost 100k (99.x). Paying this kind of money for this car is insane in my opinion. My Audi dealer offers a new TT RS for 80k, this car has AWD, a much better sound (it sounds amazing!) and it does 0-100 kph in 3.7 seconds and 0-200 kph in 13 seconds flat (this is almost 991.2 Carrera S territory).

Not a fan of the new Boxster, sorry.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I drove a Boxster and Boxster S yesterday, at a dealer event at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. The S had the sports exhaust, and it was engaged. Yet, I did not hear as much "farting" as in some video I've seen online. Could it be the close miking in these videos (microphone stuck next to tailpipe)?

The S was very torquey and the sound was not entirely bad at full throttle and high RPMs. It is very VW-ish though (VW Beetle, that is) at lower RPM and part-throttle. However, even at full song, the effect was a bit like listening to a Ducati versus a 3-4 cylinder sport bike.

The dealer has a brand new 2016 Cayman GTS; tempting. But the 2017 Nav screen is so much better...

Motorsport Magazine test

Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours GP
    4.4km

(click on the name to watch the laptime video)

McLaren 675LT: 1:48.00
    Corvette Zo6 (Z07 pack): 1:51.30
    718 Cayman S: 1:59.70
    BMW M3 (Competition pack): 1:59.80
    Cadillac CTS-V: 1:59.90
    911.2 Carrera S: 2:01.10
    Jaguar F-type SVR: 2:01.20
    Mercedes C63 S AMG Coupé: 2:02.20
    Chevrolet Camaro V8: 2:02.50
    BMW M2: 2:03.20
    Ford Focus RS: 2:07.70

"The french driver is Romain Monti (http://www.romain-monti.com/) and the lap time has been done during our Car Of The Year election."

Something wrong with that 911. Equal/lower top speeds on the straights. It should be faster than a 718.

Lars997:

The more often I do see a 718 I have to say that this car looks at least one class lower than the previous Boxster. I don't even talk about performance or cylinders, but the simple fact of putting that much black plastic, adding those cheap looking rear lights, removing all those hot details on the front - that makes the car looking like a Mazda Miata or Fiata Barchetta class. 

I agree. The front bumper side air intakes just look wrong to me and the headlights look over sized (same issue on the Panamera). The rear lights are horrible with huge housings that reference the 918 design yet have tiny LED's in them making the overall size look ridiculous. The Sport Design Package actually manages to make the rear look even worse by highlighting the fact that the diffuser is really just some additional moulding on the plastic and serves no purpose whatsoever. This is the first time in over 20 years that I could not even be bothered to have a test drive of the new model as the looks put me off before I even get to the downsized engine Smiley Hopefully the 718.2 model will have much improved lights and bumpers.

ISUK:
    Lars997:

I agree. The front bumper side air intakes just look wrong to me and the headlights look over sized (same issue on the Panamera). The rear lights are horrible with huge housings that reference the 918 design yet have tiny LED's in them making the overall size look ridiculous. The Sport Design Package actually manages to make the rear look even worse by highlighting the fact that the diffuser is really just some additional moulding on the plastic and serves no purpose whatsoever. This is the first time in over 20 years that I could not even be bothered to have a test drive of the new model as the looks put me off before I even get to the downsized engine Smiley Hopefully the 718.2 model will have much improved lights and bumpers.

Last week on my way to see our daughter and family we made a small diversion to visit our OPC's new showroom which we had not previously seen, in a gated estate right opposite the same company's Ferrari dealership (Dick Lovett Swindon) - petrolhead heaven! For the first time we walked straight past the 718 models in the showroom and looked at Macan / new 991. Not that we are thinking of changing but the first time I have walked past and ignored any new Boxster / Cayman model. Smiley  Yes I would rather buy a Macan or a pre owned 991 than a new Boxster....Smiley

718 is a class lower in every respect except price (well it is a Porsche) Smiley I don't like the exterior changes, I don't like the interior changes - for example the centre vents in 981 were nice flush feature and between the vents was a classily integrated sport chrono / clock. In 718 the vents are now proud of the fascia top and look like some kind of wound that has partially healed and the awful sport chrono "wart" has reappeared. The only improvements to my eyes are the smaller sports steering wheel, the much improved multi function wheel that is now based on the nice new sports wheel rather than the previous multi function wheel that would be more appropriate in a goods vehicle. And of course the new infotainment / PCM which is a big step forward.

And then there is that awful agricultural engine. How could Porsche get it so wrong when sister company Audi can produce a 5 cylinder turbocharged masterpiece for the RS3 and TT RS? Smiley  

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

Here are some quick suggestions for 718.2. I know Porsche's designers are famously lazy so these quick changes should give them even more leisure time smiley

Enlarge the front air intakes so the outer edge lines up with the DRL cluster and reduce the radius of the inner front headlamp to reduce its visual bulk.

Before

Restyled front Before.JPG

After

Restyled front After.JPG

At the rear they could make a big improvement just by spending a few extra cents and painting that awful black plastic strip across the rear.

Before

Restyled rear Before.JPG

After

Restyled rear After.JPG

I should imagine the real 718.2 will be as lazy an effort as this is

For the cayman, it seems these design flaws are not as apparent as for the boxster.
    This was spotted in amsterdam lately, I think it looks quite good. Still, I concur wholeheartedly with Iain's observations above.

https://www.autogespot.nl/porsche-718-cayman-s/2016/12/14

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

I agree Cayman carries the exterior styling changes better than the Boxster does, unfortunately the interior is identical. I recall  when Cayman was first introduced there were subtle differences between the two models.

--

The whole point of the 718 exercise is to unite the models under one family the same way the 911 offers different body variants without requiring subtle differences; the inside of a 911 Cabrio is the same as a 911 Coupé, they use the same corresponding engine outputs across the different body types [base or 4/S or 4S/Turbo or Turbo S]. The 718 Boxster is the 911 Cabrio of the 718 line and the 718 Cayman the Coupé version, so there isn't a need to differentiate them anymore since they're ultimately the same car.

i don't mind the styling too much but agree that the Cayman carries the looks better than the Boxster. About time they got the pricing right this time around too...

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

Interesting how all the leaves seem to have fallen only where the Aventador is...

whoops, wrong thread. Too lazy to change it.

noone1:

Shame! There was me thinking it was a scoop photo of the next generation Cayman Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    noone1:

Shame! There was me thinking it was a scoop photo of the next generation Cayman Smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

A tuner in Germany (MTM) has introduced a performance kit for the Boxster S model which seem to give an extra 70 bhp (from 350 to 420 bhp) - no being very much a supporter of tuning stuff, however I find that performance gain interesting. I thought that it would be difficult to tune Porsche turbo engines ? At least I read an article recently about that kit and the opinion was "engine thumbs up" / sound "catastrophe"...

d997h:

A tuner in Germany (MTM) has introduced a performance kit for the Boxster S model which seem to give an extra 70 bhp (from 350 to 420 bhp) - no being very much a supporter of tuning stuff, however I find that performance gain interesting. I thought that it would be difficult to tune Porsche turbo engines ? At least I read an article recently about that kit and the opinion was "engine thumbs up" / sound "catastrophe"...

We need to see test results. 70 hp sound nice on paper but does the car really perform that much better?

Saw a couple of reviews of tuned 991.1 Turbo S a year or two ago and most of them were maybe half a second faster from 0-200 kph with a power increase (on paper) of 50-60 hp. Not very impressive.

What many don't know: It is very difficult to raise turbo boost on newer models, so the trick is to increase the fuel injection quantity. The performance gain may sound great on paper but real life performance can be disappointing (for such gains).

There are rare tuning projects where tuners do things right and change lots of things, incl. the turbo chargers (look at the latest Techart monster based on the 991.2 Turbo S). Also look at it's price tag. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

well, at least topspeed was reportedly closer to 300 km/h (from 285 km/h)...anyway, I think I will see some new 718 when the club cup season starts again in 2017 and I am sure that somebody may have gone this route...

d997h:

well, at least topspeed was reportedly closer to 300 km/h (from 285 km/h)...anyway, I think I will see some new 718 when the club cup season starts again in 2017 and I am sure that somebody may have gone this route...

To be honest, I don't know much about the new 4-cyl. Boxer engine but I know quite a lot about the new Carrera turbo engines and the Turbo/Turbo S engines. I cannot imagine however that Porsche went a different route with the 4-cyl. but everything is possible.

--

It will be interesting to see what Porsche does for the GTS version of the 718. Will they do the usual +15 HP, or will they go for the bigger gains made easier by turbocharging.

KMM:

It will be interesting to see what Porsche does for the GTS version of the 718. Will they do the usual +15 HP, or will they go for the bigger gains made easier by turbocharging.

I would be surprised to see more than a 20 hp gain. Smiley

--

RC:

To be honest, I don't know much about the new 4-cyl. Boxer engine but I know quite a lot about the new Carrera turbo engines and the Turbo/Turbo S engines. I cannot imagine however that Porsche went a different route with the 4-cyl. but everything is possible.

I think the Flat-4 cyl turbo motor is very similar to the new 3.0 turbo Flat-6 - basically just 2/3 of the Flat-6 with similar architecture (and Base 2.0L has no VTG turbo, but 2.5L does).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:
    KMM:

I would be surprised to see more than a 20 hp gain. Smiley

No doubt it will still sound awful though Smiley Even Porsche can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

--

So I've been looking at some of the left-over Cayman GTS models throughout the US. I found one equipped almost ideally for me (silver, PTV, etc.) I was about to pull the trigger but then started reading Auto Motor und Sport's supertest of the 718S. Aside from the amazing Nordschleife time (which I couldn't care less about), they say some rather unflattering things about the handling of the 981 series, including the Boxster Spyder (they do except the GT4 from the criticism). So that gave me pause. Here are a couple of paragraphs; the first one about some nervousness in the rear end (though not inadequate), and a hectic tendency to not track or wander:

"Auch der direkte Cayman-S-Vorgänger des 718 zeigte im Grenzbereich ein bisweilen nervöses, wenn auch nicht unspaßiges Fahrverhalten. Der 981c punktete zwar mit direktem Einlenkverhalten, reagierte auf Lastwechsel jedoch mit einem etwas zu hektischen Eigenlenkverhalten."

By comparison, the 718 is a different animal ("unrecognizable" compared to the 981 in a particular spot of the Nordschleife), with no trace of that hectic behavior: 

"Hatzenbach, der Porsche 718 Cayman S ist nicht wiederzuerkennen. Die Wechselkurven nimmt er unaufgeregt und folgt präzise der Linie, die ihm sein Lenker vorgibt. Hektik im Heck? Nicht die Spur."

Now I'm facing a dilemma: more pleasant sounding motor, or better handling (not to mention power). Too much knowledge can be a bad thing... Hopefully someone will buy that Cayman GTS while I dither over the decision... 

There is no dilemma. You can have a great sounding motor and a great handing car in one: GT4 indecision

If this choice is too manly, then I would get the GTS. Ignore that test.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

KMM:

Now I'm facing a dilemma: more pleasant sounding motor, or better handling (not to mention power). Too much knowledge can be a bad thing... Hopefully someone will buy that Cayman GTS while I dither over the decision... 

If you have the chance to test drive both generations of cars that might be of very high value.

Personally, I had this Cayman loaner while my car was in for changing the tires. The n/a engine was a bit of a shock to me I have to say. Very noisy. At the same time there was no (really no!) power at lower revs. You have to rev like hell to get at least some acceleration - and then the car sounds like a F1 car nearly. I feel that is very silly. So slow but so loud, does not make sense to me.

Based on this experience I would surely go for the new (turbo charged) version Smiley

What can I say, being one (of two, @dreamcar) GTS-owner here ? Smiley

Personally, I think that the 981 GTS is the best sportscar reasonably money can buy (quote Autocar) . I do not care about NR lap times as I know that I would not manage to come even near to what Sportauto drives each and every car on the ring. However, my experiences  on race tracks are very good. The GTS is quick, nimble and easy to drive and certainly, the sound is (taking other Porsche models in comparison) something I do like. The cabin with all the alcantara bits etc gives a perfect picture. However, again, and I would share the dilemma, if I had to replace my GTS (due to accident, theft, whatever) I would be in favor of the "new" car, just because I like the technical development in a car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690825 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410079 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256159 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235379 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775040 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM