Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sad Event 3 Porsches vs. Pontiac Solstice

This evening i was leaving newport auto center with two 997 C2's and we beaten by a brand new pontiac solstice roadster! never seen the car before or know how much power it has. But it was lighting quick and left me in my tip 996 C2 and the other 2 997's in the dust! I hope porsche knows that the their are a lot of cheaper american cars made by GM making us look like we are driving Toyota camerys. I was embarassed and i saw the faces of the 997 owners which they looked as shock as i did. Drove home thinking Porsche needs more power for all their models. I truly feel that none of there cars are fast anymore besides the carrera gt and the 996 GT2 other than that i see everyday corvettes/G35 infinties/350Z beating up carrera's 996/997 C2's at stop lights. I hope we can some how find a way to let porsche know that there horsepower on there cars stink!!! There maybe some p-drivers who may disagree but you have to face the fact unless you own a CGT or GT2 basically the majority of cars out there have more horsepower and can keep up and beat all carreras sold today. i will always be loyal to porsche but just wish they would wake up and listen to their american customers. What i experienced today with the 997's was horrible, i guess us porsche drivers should start doing research about other cars before we go out and think we rule the roads, i'm just really sad when i paid 76k for my 996 C2 back in 99' and get killed by a pontiac roadster, can someone find out how much power this car has or could it have been modified.....

Re: Sad Event 3 Porsches vs. Pontiac Solstice

There are Solstices that come from a tuner with the Corvette C6's 400hp 6L V8 (instead of standard 177hp 4cyl). Must've been one of those - still alot cheaper than a 997...

Yes, but in the realm of tuner cars, who cares, ull NEVER compete with them in a stock car...the standard car would have been murdured, so dont worry so much.

Solstice has only 177hp no way the one you lost to was stock!

Probably had NOS or similar in the boot.

For about 50K USD, you can have a 400hp Solstice with a full warranty and buy it from a Pontiac dealership. Just see www.mallett.com . Add huge Brembo brakes and a Ohlin remote resevoir shock absorber system if you want to.

GM product czar Bob Lutz made sure that the engine bay design would accomodate a Chevrolet small block V8.

For do it your self types,GM will gladly sell you a 425lb 7100rpm 505hp engine for about 15K complete with dry sump lubrication system.

Of course for it to fit into the Solstice, you have to use better breathing tuned headers and smaller catalytic converters that just add even more hp.

straight-line drag race?... who cares... why bother a simple scooter with a cople of simple mods can kick that modded Solstice and the C2 butt at a stoplight, a scooter.
    Meet the Soltice at the twisties or highway, that separates the boys from the men. Thats were all the engineering efforts over these 40 years have gone into in the 911, not for a straight-line "HP" race....

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    straight-line drag race?... who cares... why bother a simple scooter with a cople of simple mods can kick that modded Solstice and the C2 butt at a stoplight, a scooter.
    Meet the Soltice at the twisties or highway, that separates the boys from the men. Thats were all the engineering efforts over these 40 years have gone into in the 911, not for a straight-line "HP" race....

Do you mean the AMG Scooter? and is there a Porsche
    Techequipment 997 rack for it?

maybe, but I wouldn't recomend a scooter anyway

Mustangs are for lines. Porsche is for personal satisfaction. I could care less what other people are doing. When Im driving my porsche in the bends then blast down quick streights and push hard on the brakes for the next turn I am happy. Not many cars are well balanced like porsches. A lot of cars are faster but then again, alot of cars are crappier.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    For about 50K USD, you can have a 400hp Solstice with a full warranty and buy it from a Pontiac dealership. Just see www.mallett.com . Add huge Brembo brakes and a Ohlin remote resevoir shock absorber system if you want to.

GM product czar Bob Lutz made sure that the engine bay design would accomodate a Chevrolet small block V8.

For do it your self types,GM will gladly sell you a 425lb 7100rpm 505hp engine for about 15K complete with dry sump lubrication system.

Of course for it to fit into the Solstice, you have to use better breathing tuned headers and smaller catalytic converters that just add even more hp.

Do they still call it the solstice or is it now the coffin?

In the words of Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

"If not in the interest of the state, do not act. If you cannot succeeed, do not use troops. If you are not in danger, do not fight."

A Pontiac Soltice willing to race a Porsche should have put you on notice. What interest would you have in beating a Soltice in a drag race? If you win, so what? If you lost, well judging from your post, your new Porsche has been considerably tarnished.

Yesterday while my new car was have a clear bra put on, the owner showed me his 900hp 996 Porsche TT. What chance do you think a CGT would have against that? You just never know what is out there.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Carlos, here in the good 'ol USA, where roads are 8 lane boulevards in large cities that run straight forever, "stop light grands prix" has been the test of the size of your cajones for as long as there have been cars, for better or ( mostly ) worse .Especially in car culture obsessed Socal, where hot rodding and drag racing have gone hand in hand for 60 years . Going fast around a curve and executing perfect heel and toe downshifts has been for the prissy " loafers and white socks " crowd since the days of James Dean, lol ! The hell with refinement - give us stupid Americuns " bang for the buck " .
    Need I remind you of the $39K 420 HP 6.1 liter Hemi Grand Cherokee SUV just released , with manuf rated 0-60 secs ( 4.9 secs ) faster than the $100K 450 hp Cayenne Turbo ( 5.1 secs ) as another example of this phenomena. And the Jeep I'm sure , jumps from a standing start the way the US driver likes it much peppier than the initial -throttle -response-challenged Cayenne Turbo, as is well chronicled on the Cayenne board by it's frustrated owners.

Quote:
    MKW said:"stop light grands prix"

LOL

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    MKW said:"stop light grands prix"

LOL

Carlos, don't be fooled by info about Southern California "grands" prix.

Unlike Barcelona or Madrid, most people at stop lights in Cali just sit there for what seems like a eternity when the lights turn green.....then they go
    Chevrolet even named a car for that driver phenomena, the Nova!

I doubt if most Porsche drivers in Newport Beach even know what a hole shot is or even where their battery is!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Carlos, don't be fooled by info about Southern California "grands" prix.

Unlike Barcelona or Madrid, most people at stop lights in Cali just sit there for what seems like a eternity when the lights turn green

Yeah, for every driver gunning his motor impatiently at a stop light, there are 100 who are so entranced by their cell phone call or who are applying lipstick or trying to finish that last bit of their double/double In-N-Out burger ...

I can't stand that! If you are driving, you are driving, and paying attention to it, if not its dangerous and not curtious to other drivers either.

Around here, once the light turns green, 3 seconds is about as much time people give the driver to start to leap from the stoplight before everybody behind is honking the horn, and the motorbikes start blowing by yelling obcenities to the driver!

Drive what makes you happy, 0-60 alone does not mean much. You can drive a $1M Enzo and I gaurantee you some one will beat you or at least play with you, including the punked mustangs and Japanese cars with blow dryers in their engines. I am sorry to say that the days that only Ferraris and Porsches were fast, are over. With the new technology anyone and everyone makes a fast car. When 911's where doing 0-60 in the 6 second range no one could touch them. Now 911's are at the point where getting more acceleration is almost not possible without radical cost increase. It's like when you were in school going from a "D" to a "B" was easy but going from a "B" to an "A" was much more difficult.

has thing really changed that much? Sorry if I'm completely off, but found some old numbers:

1967 Corvette 427 had 435 hp, 1975 Porsche Turbo had 260. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 had 375 hp with the Turbo at 320 in 1991. And in 1996 Dodge allready had the Viper GTS out with 450 hp.

Anyone can strap a huge engine to a car (Solstice V8 prime example) and make it a dragster. For around 50k you'll get both that and the corvette c6, and, by all means, they are great for what they are.

And when the Corvette guys have their cars turned to Lingenfelter for some extras you'll be in serious trouble whatever car you have. Making a car go fast in a straight line is easy and cheap. if that's all you need, then buy those cars and spend the extra money somewhere else. It's not much worse than that..

Quote:
    996cal said:
    I hope porsche knows that the their are a lot of cheaper american cars made by GM making us look like we are driving Toyota camerys.

What's wrong with driving Toyota Camrys?

There is always be someone faster, that's life. When I'm on the road I drive my own race and don't bother if someone is faster then me.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    In the words of Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

"If not in the interest of the state, do not act. If you cannot succeeed, do not use troops. If you are not in danger, do not fight."

But wouldnt Tsu say to strike first without warrant if you have the superior force? If you give your opponent less time to prepare then a victory would be assured. Especially if they have a seemingly lesser force.

The soltice won becuase of the BIGGEST winning factor of a battle....deception!

American cars have much more horsepower's than most Porsches now!... but did you know that an American car loses couple of horse powers for every thousand miles you make on the car, a mechanic friend told me this

Quote:
    996AD said:
    American cars have much more horsepower's than most Porsches now!... but did you know that an American car loses couple of horse powers for every thousand miles you make on the car, a mechanic friend told me this

And you believe that? I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. It goes from Brooklyn to Manhattan in NYC.

Quote:
    996AD said:

So, does that mean a Chevette with 300,000 miles has negative horsepower?

Quote:
    996AD said:

Your mechanic is wrongly informed. Any read of any magazines long term tests that include dyno results and measured driving performance show othewrwise.

Your mechanic friend is full of gas.

Maybe this is the car that you saw.
    http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103737

Quote:
    dan996 said:
    Maybe this is the car that you saw.
    http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103737

wow that is an amazing Solstice! if the 4.2 second 0-60 time is correct, that would mean its faster then the GTO

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689015 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255625 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773722 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM