Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Fever

Quote:
    RC's Signature
    Porsche 911 (993, 996 and 997) owner since 1996.

RC's signature got me thinking. I've got "Porsche fever" and due to my age i do not own one yet. Its this that made me realize that while many of you got your first Porsche at age x Your obsession started much before that.

I would love to hear of how you first got hooked on porsches-what got the fire burning initially. What was your first Porsche and how was that experience.

For me: I've always liked sports cars but the porsche obsession started with a video game- Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed
    I loved all the cars and began to learn the history of the P. From there one of my friends purchased a 935 slantnose as a project car and after that I was hooked.

Re: Porsche Fever

1980 - Age 13, my dad has Jimmy Buffet's red '79 911SC on consignment for sale in his showroom that he sold mainly classic cars out of. He brought it home for me to detail it, I almost drove it through the front of our garage parking inside after I was finished (but I managed to stop, and nobody knew ), and afterwards dad took me for a high-speed run across the prairie nearby.

1983, age 16, I'm detailing cars for the local Import garage, and most of their customers. Get to drive several different 911's, including a HOT running gray-market German '84 911, prior to them converting it for U.S. DOT approval. It was strong..

Same year, my stepfather finishes rebuilding a '76 Turbo Carrera that he bought wrecked in the front. It had a real-deal 934 race engine in it, and with the adjustable wastegate set at 2.5 bars, was the fastest flippin street car I've EVER, TO THIS DAY, ever driven. Under full boost, it was otherwordly. A 996 Turbo in comparison runs like a Chihuahua.

THAT'S how I got my "Porsche fever"!!

I think that all 'boys' love cars (my 5 and 3 year old boys are absolutely car crazy) so obviously I have had the 'sports car' obsession since birth. For me, growing up in a tpical middle class immigrant household, cars were 'practical' and a 'liability'. Of course I would stare, oogle, 'dream' about Porsches, but it was passively ingrained in me that something like a Porsche is an item that is unatainable, not only financially, but emotionally.

After passing my board exams, my wife 'told' me to go ahead and get whatever I wanted (car) . The Boxter was just being released in 1997, and finally there was a Porsche that was 'affordable' (becuase 'no way' would I buy a 911 because it is too expensive and too impractical (especially in the north east where I used to live)). So I ordered one, sight unseen, no test drive, and to boot, I never drove stick either. It was a very 'riskee' thing for me to do as I had no idea of what to expect, with everyone making comments like 'it will spend more time in the shop than on the road', 'the ride will be too bumpy and harsh', 'Porsche has very bad service' etc etc . 8 months latter it came, and both my wifes expectations and mine were amazingly surpased, not only with the quality, but also the ride/handling and off couse the looks. This was my 1st convertable, and the sheer pleasure of driving top down, cruising, listening to the pur of the engine, have the heated seats on, with the heater blasting, whilst the temperature outside being 45 degrees was an incredible stimulation of the senses. I had pre-conceived notions on what a 'sports'car would be like (especailly since my 1st car was a 1983 firebird (t-tops and all)) and after the Porsche experience, I can honestly say, once you go Porsche you can never go back . After the lease expired and I had to reluctantly return the car, I 'vowed' that I would get another one as nothing compaired to the experience (my wife even gave me the unconditional OK). (At that point I was still thinking Boxter, likely the S).

Well 3 kids latter, I am back in the position of 'waiting' (nov build), this time for 997 S Cab (need a cab, there is no substitute) and with my kids I needed 'rear' seats (well that the excuse and I am sticking with it ). I think I am much more excited this time than I was the 1st time. I really wanted to do tourst delivery, but with 3 kids it is impossible (I don't think I would get any bonus points if I went alone either) .

Good question actually.

I had never been into Porsche when I was a kid but loved good and fast looking cars. Spent my 20s and early 30s mainly with Audi but was always looking for a sporty SUV which would not be too much of a comprise onroad. Then the Cayenne came around the corner. I ordered the day it was introduced at the local dealer. It must have contained some sort of virus. Not long after that, a Boxster S joined the Cayenne in the garage.

Now, almost 3 years and a couple of track days later, both - the Cayenne and 986S are gone but ...

- the living room is full of books about Porsche (not to mention the car models)
    - a big Porsche "badge" is hanging on the wall
    - a beautiful indian red 1988 Carrera Convertible is in the garage
    - a 997S is to be delivered in about 2-3 weeks time

I guess you could say that the virus hit me late but full speed (not to mention that I'm probably a use case for their marketing dept. regarding bringing new customers to the brand through the Cayenne ...).

The day the virus caught me was the day a 911 pissed all over my dads Renault . We was on the motorway tanking it ( well he thought he was ) when all of a sudden a car just cruised past us with a huge wing , yes it was a P 911 and as for the engine note well I will never forget it it was awesome even though I was so young and thats was the day I made a promise to myself that one day just one day I would own one of those son of a guns..

throt..

Quote:
    schmuy said:
    Quote:
    RC's Signature
    Porsche 911 (993, 996 and 997) owner since 1996.

RC's signature got me thinking. I've got "Porsche fever" and due to my age i do not own one yet. Its this that made me realize that while many of you got your first Porsche at age x Your obsession started much before that.

I would love to hear of how you first got hooked on porsches-what got the fire burning initially. What was your first Porsche and how was that experience.

For me: I've always liked sports cars but the porsche obsession started with a video game- Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed
    I loved all the cars and began to learn the history of the P. From there one of my friends purchased a 935 slantnose as a project car and after that I was hooked.

When I was a kid back in the 1970's, I was intelligent enough to understand basic automobile mechanics (wheels, steering, and especially engines and power), and when the 911 Turbo first came out, I dreamed of owning one-with that dream realized this summer with a 2005(996)TSCab. Now I can't wait for the 997TT to come out, with its expected technological advances (VTG turbos, for example) and hoped for huge increase in power and performance. Boy I can't wait for the official announcement.

TUR-BO, TUR-BO, TUR-BO, TUR-BO, TUR-BO!

I can relate to these stories. I loved cars since I was a little boy. I always loved Porsches. I had not seen the 911Turbo until 1975 in Bournemoth, England. My jaw just dropped. The same year I saw the Ferrari 512BB and could not move. For some reason I was always a Porsche man. When the 928 came out in 1978 I was 16 years old and while I loved the sound of it I liked the look of the 911 Turbo better. The 928 eventually grew on me and when I got older I bought one and worshiped the car. When the 997TT comes out if they don't mark them up too much I will trade in my 06 997S. However having only 400 miles on my 997S thinking about the 997TT pre-maturely spoils the enjoyment of the 997S. Inside all of us there is a kid that refuses to grow up. Cars are like family members and no longer a transportation

If the virus catches you...oh boy...

1966 and I'm a 11 year old reluctantly on a shopping trip with my family in York (UK). I'm bored stiff and looking for something to amuse me. I hear something that sounds like a VW Beetle on steroids. I see this off white sports car that isn't familiar (not an E-Type or Austin Healey 3000, nor MG). Wow! Later at home the most valuable possesion of a young English gear head "The Observer Book of Automobiles 1965" reveals that this is the Porsche 911. It would be another 3 years before I saw my second one.

It's been a dream and an obsession ever since.

Well said RC. I get the shakes when I walk in the P-car show room.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Well said RC. I get the shakes when I walk in the P-car show room.

So does my bank manager...

Quote:
    edz61 said: I had not seen the 911Turbo until 1975 in Bournemoth, England. My jaw just dropped.

Yes, Bournemouth will do that to you. You should see it now!... (Shudder)

wtsnet:

I have been there over 10 times, last time was in 1999. OMG, from the hot gorgeous women (I am single:)) to the cars, shopping, the beach, pubs, night life etc. I miss it so much

RC: You are married and possibly have kids, I have my job my money and one mouth to feed and yes of course I don't make millions but I do well. Nevertheless I lose so much money on cars and I buy two per year, maximum 2 years. So when I smell the new car and sit in it I say the hell with money we live one life

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    RC: You are married and possibly have kids, I have my job my money and one mouth to feed and yes of course I don't make millions but I do well. Nevertheless I lose so much money on cars and I buy two per year, maximum 2 years. So when I smell the new car and sit in it I say the hell with money we live one life

Absolutely Ed, we live one life! I was 16, been driving only a few months when my older brother was doing pretty well in his career. He ordered a new 1984 911 Cabriolet, and after months of whining and free detailing, he let me take it around the block. I picked up my girlfriend, and we drove.. and drove.. and drove. The whirl of that engine, top down driving, the handling, the look, I was done. So, I had to wait many more years, but knew I would own one someday. I didn't want anything else other than a 911 cab. So, when I found myself doing o.k and sitting on lots of equity here in CA, I bought my '05 997S Cab. Somebodys signature line on here is 'life just got a whole lot better.' Amen to that!

Greg: I know what you mean exactly. I am sure you are doing well yourself owning a car of that caliber. I remember when the 1984 911 cab came out, I was in college then driving a Mustang GT and owning a Porsche was years away. The 84 cab cost around $50K +/- and if you did not know what you were doing you could not shift smoothly and could lose it in tight corners. My lust after Porsches got even stronger then and I was happy that a driver with average skills can not drive the 911. A beast to tame I thought, and tamed my me

RC:
    What I meant by my last posting to you was that you have more gutts than I do if you are a family man and still spend tons of money on cars. I have no responsibilities and still wonder if I am doing the right thing buying another car. However the shakes from not having the car out do the shakes from not having the money in the future so I just go fot it

Your Porsche Story

Come on that can't be it- W8MM, ha : both of you own the Porsche icon. Everyone else: share your Porsche story.

Quote:
    edz61 said:

I have been there over 10 times, last time was in 1999. OMG, from the hot gorgeous women (I am single:)) to the cars, shopping, the beach, pubs, night life etc. I miss it so much

Ditto, I had some great times in Bournemouth in my 20's, lots of young people out for a good time. Too old and married now...

My love affair (Porsches not Bournemouth) is a bit less clear than others. After leaving university and getting going with better jobs I was going through the process of buying new cars every 18 months or so, affordable-ish coupes such as Alfa GTV, Fiat Coupe, Toyota MR2. I came into a bit of money and was able to consider a Boxster. One test drive later with the sales guy almost forcing me to cane the thing I was signed up. I loved the Boxster - that special feeling of driving a Porsche where absolutely eveything is just right, whatever speed, whatever weather, hard to explain but I'm sure all here will know what I mean. I kept the Boxster for just under 3 years and replaced it with an M3. It was about 3 months after buying that and once the novelty factor had worn off that I knew I had to get another Porsche. I kept the M3 for another 12 months or so and ordered a 997 once it was clear it was a step up from a 996. I've learnt from my mistakes, don't see myself without a Porsche in the garage from now on.

Great topic, schmuy. I've been a car nut almost since I was a toddler. What got me hooked to Porsche specifically was my uncle. One day when I was 5, he came with his brand new 928 S4. He let me sit in his lap and "drive" the car around my grandparents' village (hurrah for automatics! ).

From then on, I knew I'd get my own Porsche one day. Two years ago, I got a unique opportunity to join the company. Needless to say, a 911 (a 996 Targa actually) was part of the package. :
    I've since left for personal reasons. Can't wait for the 997 Targa.

Believe it or not I got the fever when I was 16 years old and I was giving a 63 Corvair Conv. Yes that right a Chevy Corvair. I would put the top down and curise with all 110 HP with the rear engine. After driving it through college I knew there was something better out there. Well 20 years later I now I have an 06 997 Conv and love it.

Where I grew up, exotic sportscars were truly a rare site, so I had to rely on movies and TV. Age 10, I started out with Ferrari fever, probably because I just loved the 308 on Magnum P.I.

As a child I thought 911's were ugly - looked like a bull frog to me, and Ferrari's were just, well, gorgeous in comparison. They were low and sleek and red (usually).

Later, I fell in love with the Ferrari Daytona Spyder on Miami Vice - still love that long hood.

I kind of forgot about cars in my 20's. We have heavy winters, so I enjoyed a Jeep Cherokee in 4WD basically all the time. I call those my "Northern Exposure" years.

A few years ago, a buddy of mine took me to the International Auto show in Toronto, and I took a look at the 40th Anniv Edit. 911, and I just fell in love. GT silver was such a gorgeous understated color, and the classic 911 silhouette that had been with me all my life suddenly looked irresistible. I was one test drive away from the Fever.

Within 6 months, I got myself a 996, now I'm dreaming of a 997 S with X51, and, while I bet the F430 is fantastic to drive, I just don't like Ferrari's anymore, though I'd still take that Daytona Spyder.

Got hooked early on the engine sound of the aircooled 911 engines. Back around 1977 I bought a 1968 911T with blown engine. I spent a summer rebuilding the engine with 911S components. Kept the car until I had to sell when my first real job relocated me to NYC. Never lost the thrill of that engine sound and got appreciation for the mesmerizing precision of the engine components during reassembly; it changed me on a molecular level. BTW, I became totally convinced the first 911 interiors were the ultimate and all interior changes since then have been sideways or down. Finally the 997/S started to focus back so, among other reasons, I bought one.

I really didn't like Porsches while growing up. They appeal to me much more now that I've matured.

To anyone who doesn't like Porsches, all I can say is drive one, then come back and talk.

Once you've got the virus, that's it. BMW M, AMG, etc. have been working non-stop on a cure, but with little success. There's this one treatment called Ferrari that has shown results, but the cost of treatment can be so astronomical that the cure becomes worse than the virus.

My fever came so long ago that I can barely remember the specifics but from a combination of Porsche's motorsports history and their incredible achievements, and the 911.

As I grew up the Porsche became my favorite sportcar company becuase of their special philosophy, specifically the 911 with its timeless distinctive looks but not flashy ego-boosting looks, how it didn't subscribe to the "sportcars have to be impractical and unreliable"... simply, their superior engineering to all others. A superb chasis with sporty engine, over a huge engine for bragging rights under a flashy body. Ferry's philosophy of a Sportcar was my philosophy. Egineering, efficiency, and performance, period. Funtion over form.

So when I got out of college, a couple of years later I bought an M3, my intermediate step to a 911, and a couple of years later I bought a 911, the 996. Little did I know that once you let a 911 get under your skin, no other will do. And just when you think they cannot improve upon that, comes the 997S... what next?

Not matter what other oiptions I ever consider I always keep coming back to the same thing, Porsche 911. Sportcars come and go but only one remains throughout time, the Porsche 911.

Were else can you find:

... a Sportcar that can lap the ring under 8 min on street tires due to its chasis not brute HP, yet be usable for everyday commuting allowing you to enjoy driving a sportcar in everyday driving instead of being forced to drive a boring sedan during weekdays

... a sportcar that has a very special character with its unique rear engine platform, yet its still reliable, practical and versatile

... a car we all grew up with, yet its still the reference to which all other are measured to

... a car that can carry your kids to school, yet with such a chasis that has been evolutioned and refined over 40 years that it can beat any 2-seater, more expensive, mid-engined competion even with more power

... a sportcar with a heritage and motorsport history no other sportcar can match yet you can drive it in the winter like a normal car

... a car that offers a version that can fit everyone's needs, a track oriented car or a cabrio for cruisin, an AWD version or RWD, an atmospheric or Turbo a superperformance version or a basic version, etc.

only one... the sportscar of ALL TIME, the Porsche 911.

I may have other cars in my garage along the years, but there will always be a 911 in there. There are great sportcars out there, but they will be the second sportcar, an addition to the 911.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Were else can you find:

... a Sportcar that can lap the ring under 8 min on street tires due to its chasis not brute HP, yet be usable for everyday commuting allowing you to enjoy driving a sportcar in everyday driving instead of being forced to drive a boring sedan during weekdays

... a sportcar that has a very special character with its unique rear engine platform, yet its still reliable, practical and versatile

... a car we all grew up with, yet its still the reference to which all other are measured to

... a car that can carry your kids to school, yet with such a chasis that has been evolutioned and refined over 40 years that it can beat any 2-seater, more expensive, mid-engined competion even with more power

... a sportcar with a heritage and motorsport history no other sportcar can match yet you can drive it in the winter like a normal car

... a car that offers a version that can fit everyone's needs, a track oriented car or a cabrio for cruisin, an AWD version or RWD, an atmospheric or Turbo a superperformance version or a basic version, etc.

I may have other cars in my garage along the years, but there will always be a 911 in there. There are great sportcars out there, but they will be the second sportcar, an addition to the 911.

Carlos, man, that sounds so poetic

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    My fever came so long ago that I can barely remember the specifics but from a combination of Porsche's motorsports history and their incredible achievements, and the 911.

As I grew up the Porsche became my favorite sportcar company becuase of their special philosophy, specifically the 911 with its timeless distinctive looks but not flashy ego-boosting looks, how it didn't subscribe to the "sportcars have to be impractical and unreliable"... simply, their superior engineering to all others. A superb chasis with sporty engine, over a huge engine for bragging rights under a flashy body. Ferry's philosophy of a Sportcar was my philosophy. Egineering, efficiency, and performance, period. Funtion over form.

So when I got out of college, a couple of years later I bought an M3, my intermediate step to a 911, and a couple of years later I bought a 911, the 996. Little did I know that once you let a 911 get under your skin, no other will do. And just when you think they cannot improve upon that, comes the 997S... what next?

Not matter what other oiptions I ever consider I always keep coming back to the same thing, Porsche 911. Sportcars come and go but only one remains throughout time, the Porsche 911.

Were else can you find:

Great post

Carlos,

Any chance you plan to try the forced induction 911, especially since the 997TT has some rumoured advances-like the VTG turbo's along with extra power?

Personally I like the atmospheric and lighter and more agile RWD carreras, but would love to have a Turbo also.
    I tried one the other day, a 996TT with the X73 sport chasis... what a punch at mid range! ... you can't go wrong with a Turbo, but since I drive a 1000cc sportbike the acceleration is not that big of a wow factor for me and thats part of the attractiveness of the Turbo. And having to put more money on the table on top if it, I don't think I will. But never say never...

For me, "Porsche fever" hit when I was in high school with the movie Risky Business. I thought the 928 was fantastic and was convinced I'd own one one day. The 911 was very "yuppy" and an 80's cliche in guards red and I wouldn't be caught dead in one or so I thought at the time. Fast forward a couple of years after college and one of my sales reps took me out to dinner in his 1983 930 (gray market) and I remember when he punched the gas and my head bounced off the seatback. The thing was amazing. So much so, I had to get rid of my Acura Integra and get me a 911 turbo. Just a bit of a differennce between the 2, right?

Living in Boston, Turbos aren't as common as they are in the warmer climates. I found an '87 that I took on a test drive and I remember the steering being so precise that I could feel the texture of the lane marker paint through the wheel. Amazing but this one was too pricey so I asked my parents to investigate a 1985 (gray market) Turbo in Miami. They sent me a video tape of the car and it looked perfect. The dealer said he had the EPA/DOT paperwork to avoid any hassles with registration so I sold my Acura. About 2 hours after handing over the keys to the Acura, I get a call from the Florida dealer saying that the paperwork was "going to take some time". After further questioning, I lost trust in the dealer and now had to figure out what I was going to do about a car. I couldn't find anything I liked w/ power & styling so I rented a Geo Metro for 6 weeks. This car was so powerful, you had to downshift if you had a bag of groceries in the passenger seat. With winter approaching, I came upon a CRX Si which was supposed to be just for the winter but I drove it for 3 years until the E36 M3 came out. I really liked the car so I did the whole European Delivery thing and had that for a few years until it was stolen. I think that BMW drivers, especially M3 drivers and myself included, always felt a certain envy of Porsche drivers so perhaps the theft of the M3 was a sign that it was finally time to take the plunge. The year it was stolen was the same year that Porsche was the featured marque at the Monterey Historics. After seeing all the Porsches at Monterey, and the 962 winning Le Mans yet again, I decided I was going to order a new 996 cab. It's been a great experience and to date, it's stil able to put a smile on my face when I drive it. The BMW was great but almost too perfect and became a bit boring after owning it a while. I sense this Porsche will be with me for a while and I'm itching to visit the dealer to investigate the 997.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759882 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433927 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259799 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256943 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80625 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870825 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805910 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM