Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PLS help guys! Specc'd an '06 997S, what do you think?

Hi everyone, first of all let me say thanks for the last few months of knowledge, chit chat and laughs.. Today I specc'd out a new P, please give me your thoughts!

- 2006 997S Cabriolet
    - Color- Undecided
    - Black top
    - Interior Full Leather
    - Adaptive sport seats
    - Self dimming mirrors
    - Heated front seats
    - Wheel caps colored crest
    - TPMS
    - Fire extinguisher
    - Sport chrono
    - Navigation for PCM
    - Bose
    - Remote CD changer
    - Black mats- Porsche lettering
    - Short shifter
    - Sports Exhaust
    - Rear center console painted ext. color
    - 5mm wheel spacers
    - Porsche crest in headrest
    - Metal door sill model insignia
    - Thicker steering wheel, leather

Now for the questions and thoughts.. I would love to add PCCB and X51, but for the cost of those two I throw myself into the 997TT market, and cannot justify the expense for the performance gained. As far as colors go, I have always loved black cars, but am thinking it's time for a change since my last 2 cars have been black. At my dealer they have a arctic 997, GT Silver CGT and Seal CGT on the showroom.. I am liking how the GT Silver is between the two, but its difficult justifying THAT expense ($3000 or so) for a color only slightly different than the other two. I will be driving this car fairly frequently, and plan on keeping it for awhile (haha at least until the 998).. I am also deadlocked on wheels. My two favorites are the 19" Classics and 19" Lobster forks. Please let me know what you guys think, your opinions and thoughts are valued. Thanks in advance

Re: PLS help guys! Specc'd an '06 997S, what do you think?

whoa bro.. those r major specs..sounds hot.. and your right about the X51 and PCCB.. you could get a proper car for the price of those 2 options.. id say stick to what uv posted.. thats specd higher than most of the people here...

I am thinking that you put too much options to this car. I am not saying that the options are bad, you have picked out a very nice spec but are you going to sell/trade the car in the near future? You won't get anything back for all those option you put to the car, but if money is not an issue, i would say GO FOR IT, YOUR SPECS ROCKS!!! you have all the NECESSARY options for the car,

great specs. few personal comments.

Fire extinguisher: don't need unless tracking your car. red doesn't blen well with interior. i personally have a chrome exhinguisher for track use.

Remote CD changer: inconvenient to use especially that you can play mp3 cds from in car.

Short shifter: i drove cars with and w/o i preferthe standard shifter.
    Thicker steering wheel: i wanted to order it on my car but the "small" increase in thickness is not worth the extra money.

best wishes with your order

<Remote CD changer: inconvenient to use especially that you can play mp3 cds from in car.>
    nothing inconvenient about it at all.
    <5mm wheel spacers>
    curious. what does that do ?
    <19" Lobster forks>
    they really fit the car. they harken back to early cars, and are a good match for the cars overall design. imho the classics are too airy..too dainty looking
    <Thicker steering wheel, leather>
    you get a leather wheel with the full leather. the 460 option gets you the hub in leather and a sumptious softer better leather wheel. 1,000 less than the thicker wheel. my daughters jetta has a "thicker" wheel as standard on an 18K car
    bigger is not always better

Awesome! Almost identical to what my order will look like!

I would go with the S wheel(lobster ). I agree, it just seems to fit the car the best.

Regarding color, if you like something darker than Arctic- Seal is a great choice! It would look sweet with the black top too! Of course, Arctic is my favorite.

I'm still stuck on deciding on the X51- waiting to hear more about it. I'm a little more sure about the PCCB's. Even if you don't opt for either, I'm sure you'll be thrilled with your spec as is!

Good luck!

Quote:
    doc2s said:
    great specs. few personal comments.

Fire extinguisher: don't need unless tracking your car. red doesn't blen well with interior. i personally have a chrome exhinguisher for track use.

Remote CD changer: inconvenient to use especially that you can play mp3 cds from in car.

Short shifter: i drove cars with and w/o i preferthe standard shifter.
    Thicker steering wheel: i wanted to order it on my car but the "small" increase in thickness is not worth the extra money.

best wishes with your order

Thanks for the input.. I will be tracking the car once in awhile, hence the extinguisher.. and I have gotten used to my cd changer and short shifter on my current car, and love them, so they will stay. As far as the thicker wheel, I haven't seen them in person, just pics on rennteam. I have big hands, and like the idea of a bigger wheel, but I see your point, it is alot of extra $$ for a steering wheel. Alot of members seem to like it though, I guess I will try and check one out in person to see how it feels..

Quote:
    JL13 said:
    I am thinking that you put too much options to this car. I am not saying that the options are bad, you have picked out a very nice spec but are you going to sell/trade the car in the near future? You won't get anything back for all those option you put to the car, but if money is not an issue, i would say GO FOR IT, YOUR SPECS ROCKS!!! you have all the NECESSARY options for the car,

I don't plan on selling/trading the car in the near future.. The car will depreciate, but I plan on getting more than my moneys worth having fun tracking the car, then watching my kids giggling in the back seat the very next day

i am not a fan of white car ,but last week i was in the p showroom ,i saw this white c4s cab in white with blue roof and blue interior ,it really is nice .. sorry for the pics quality ,i took them with my phone

Nearly identical specs to my car, except for the fire extenguiser, color crest, back console painted and CD changer ( I droped it as I can use MP3 insted).
    I opted for thick steering wheel ( I like it bigger).
    Short shift is a must to my taste.
    5mm is just for better looks

Couple more questions guys.. does the fire extinguisher get in the way during general day to day driving? Also, the rear center console painted in exterior color is an expensive option, something like US$730.. An alternative is the console in leather which is also expensive, but I prefer either of these to the matte black finsih that would come stock. Any experience with these two finishes? Does anybody happen to have a photo of the leather center console?

Very similar to the specs for the car I ordered. I added the multifunction steering wheel. I did not get the 6-disc changer, though I was tempted, but since the head unit will play MP3 I figured that I will likely never use the CD changer as I can Rip a CD with 130 songs in MP3 and be happier (hense the Multifunction steering wheel. I also opted for the Iluminated door sil, and option 666 for the phone. Comming from 2 Lexus (Lexi?), I 'need' my toys in the car and I use/enjoy them.

I also went for the 'natural leather' to be a little more unique....heck you only live once, so I splurged a little. I aggre with the issues with X51 and PCCB, with those two options I would be at ~135K range MRSP and probably could get a turbo near that price?

I was looking at a pic of that illuminated door sill.. how do you like it? Does it look like the regular sill during the day? Also, call me technologically challenged, but you can fit 130 songs, on ONE ripped CD? When I burn mp3's on a cd, I can fit maybe 18-20 songs.. so I'm assuming I can get a cd with MEGA MB to hold that many songs? If that's the case, I will consider dropping the cd changer. Thanks in advance deven!

An average mp3 recorded at 160K/s runs 5-6MB, so it's not clear how you're only getting 18-20 per 700MB CD. Maybe you're actually recording them in audio format?

mcdelaug

Ask to see an atlas one with Carrera Classic 19s - does it for me every time

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Nearly identical specs to my car, except for CD changer ( I droped it as I can use MP3 insted).

This is what I fancy very much as being a good idea because you can get alot of niggly rattles from these changers especially when not fitted tight and when filled with CD's. Fyi I remember a friend had a rattle on the left side of his car and it turned out to be the CD changer in the glovebox.

I would delete it due to MP3 compensation..

throt..

Quote:
    percymon said:
    Ask to see an atlas one with Carrera Classic 19s - does it for me every time

GT Silver with the Sport Designs , the Sport Design wheels look great on the cab..

throt..

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    Hi everyone, first of all let me say thanks for the last few months of knowledge, chit chat and laughs.. Today I specc'd out a new P, please give me your thoughts!

- 2006 997S Cabriolet
    - Color- Undecided - I'd go w/ the ARTIC.
    - Black top
    - Interior Full Leather
    - Adaptive sport seats
    - Self dimming mirrors
    - Heated front seats
    - Wheel caps colored crest - All silver/black car I'd stick w/ black/silver crests.
    - TPMS
    - Fire extinguisher
    - Sport chrono
    - Navigation for PCM
    - Bose
    - Remote CD changer - Maybe not necessary.
    - Black mats- Porsche lettering
    - Short shifter
    - Sports Exhaust
    - Rear center console painted ext. color
    - 5mm wheel spacers - Don't know enough about them to comment.
    - Porsche crest in headrest Nice with Adaptive in a cab.
    - Metal door sill model insignia - It's just my preference but I like the silver/black stock ones.
    - Thicker steering wheel, leather

Now for the questions and thoughts.. I would love to add PCCB and X51, but for the cost of those two I throw myself into the 997TT market, and cannot justify the expense for the performance gained. As far as colors go, I have always loved black cars, but am thinking it's time for a change since my last 2 cars have been black. At my dealer they have a arctic 997, GT Silver CGT and Seal CGT on the showroom.. I am liking how the GT Silver is between the two, but its difficult justifying THAT expense ($3000 or so) for a color only slightly different than the other two. I will be driving this car fairly frequently, and plan on keeping it for awhile (haha at least until the 998).. I am also deadlocked on wheels. My two favorites are the 19" Classics and 19" Lobster forks. Please let me know what you guys think, your opinions and thoughts are valued. Thanks in advance

I have a lot of the same options. PSE, Thicker wheel, Adpative seats, crest in headrest, NAV, Bose. Heated seats,mirrors,sport chrono, cd changer,

I went from a black car too. Black 996 Turbo. Did you have a chance to look at both the Artic and GT Silver next to one another outside ? If not ask. I had a chance to and I like the Artic better. The way in which it refelects sunlight is nicer, brighter and I think it goes better with the black interior. The GT is too grey for me whereas the Artic is more silver. The Artic is amazing couldn't be happier. And the bonus is compared to black it's soooooooo much less work. I'm so happy w/ it my 997 Turbo cab will also be Artic. I like the GT Silver would be my second choice but like the Artic better. It's also the classic/traditional Porsche color.

With the full leather I'd go with the leather center consule instead of paint. I'm not a fan of the painted center consule rather leave the exterior finishes to the exterior. The painted interior messes with the interior/ exterior contrast for me. The leather consule and stitching on the consule is more subtle & richer imo and will really finish off the interior nicely. You may want to consider leather sunvisors because it's a cab and you're getting full leather, especially if you get the leather center consule. I'd consider switching the fire-ext for the leather sunvisors. I also have the leather border mats which are pricey but really nice

I have the lobster forks. I would probably choose the Carrera S wheels if I could do it again. Like the way the l.f. wheels look but the 997's brakes are dirtier than my 996's. The Carrera S wheels are easier to clean the insides and outsides. It's a really nice look too.

With the thicker wheel you don't just get a thicker wheel (which is a must for me) you also get the nicer smooth leather and a leather covered air bag. It's the one option that you can enjoy and absolutely use the most.

Sounds really nice. Congrats !!!!!!!!!!

Nice spec's--X51 is pretty sweet but it is expensive. How long will you keep your car--if you will flip for a Turbo Cab in a few years, pass on X51. Personally, having owned a 996 Turbo and now a PCA Club Coupe, I am really really liking normally aspirated power of the X51.

And my Club Coupe still cost less than my Turbo did, even if I bump my price up to account for the built in discount that was reflected in the Club Coupe's price.

If it were me, I'd gladly trade some of the options you've ticked for X51. PCCB--I passed on that also on my Club Coupe as a purely initial cost + anticipated future replacement cost of rotors benefit analysis.

Spacers are way overpriced--you can get equally nice ones or better, aftermarket for a whole lot less.

All that said--nice car and you should always get what you want, no matter what someone on an internet board says. We've all got noses, A**holes, and opinions. To thine ownself be true

FWIW, there was another thread, I think, which brought up a good point about Cabs. Apparently, you should order the hardtop with the car now, because if you ever want it later it will cost lots more. Is this true?

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    I was looking at a pic of that illuminated door sill.. how do you like it? Does it look like the regular sill during the day? Also, call me technologically challenged, but you can fit 130 songs, on ONE ripped CD?

My car is scheduled to be made in November (no update yet on if it is being currently built), but I too only have seen pictures of the illuminated door sils, so I am afraid I cannot provide more info. I picked them because I suspect that they would be hard to retrofit since they would alos have to pull electrical wires for the lights.

Average songs are about 4MB in size in MP3 format, and most CD will hold ~700MB data, so I assume that you are probably coping the music in its native format (.wav?) which is about 50MB per song?. (The best solution whould have been an IPOD integration....oh well).

I agree with others, the CD changer is inconvenient and unneeded. Just plop what you want to hear straight into the dash

I also have driven the short shifter, and find it to be less buttery-smooth than the standard. The standard shifter is so intuitive, so "right", you can't go wrong..

The metal door sill model insignias look like something you buy out of a J.C. Whitney catalog for $12.95/pair, and slap on with double-sided tape. I would advise against. The standard sills look more upscale IMHO...

Otherwise, sounds fantastic!!!!! You can ALWAYS use a fire extinguisher. Usually it's not to put out a fire in your own car, it's to put out SOMEBODY ELSE'S fire!!! It's a very fine thing to have handy, to help others in need/danger...

Thanks for the thoughts Boss, does anybody happen to have a picture of the standard door sills?

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    Thanks for the thoughts Boss, does anybody happen to have a picture of the standard door sills?

here ya go... .

http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesand...oorentryguards/

I thought these looked nice ..

throt...

My 997S Cab is spec'd similar to yours..No 6disc CD. In dash is fine. TripleBlack. Went with some carbon options including the Wheel. Carrera Sport Wheels. I also was faced with the X51 PCCB dilemna. I really got the bug and simply can't wait until the 997TT Cab is available. With that in mind, and awlays wanting as much HP as I can get under warranty, I went for the X51. Didnt get PCCB. Figured I would rather go fast than stop quick. Am quite sure the red calipers are fine. In spending the xtra dollars for the x51 I rationalized that I'd just keep the 997S can extra year after the 997TT launch. Maybe all this is crazy reasoning, but at least I have got a car on actual order that will be here soon, and should be plenty quick. The waiting is hard, but its very exciting as well

I recently ordered a 997S. I debated the PCCB and the X51 and went for the X51 only. I am sure that the PCCB's are great but the big red calipers are no slouch.

I sat in several cars with the crest in the headrest and never realized it was there....I would probably pass on this option. I have the same thing in my M3 and didn't realize it for 3 years....Oh well

I thought about the spacers but figured I could do it cheaper later on.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759930 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433962 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259810 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256963 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80635 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870847 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805937 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM