Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT R

koko:

It's amazing how many people here totally flip out whenever a non Porsche does some impressive numbers lol

Nobody is questionning the time - we just try to find out just how they achieved it. I don't think that anybody here is a Porsche only fan Boy I dunno where People takes this.....this is THE Advantage of RT vs others.....

Look at FC. Some people there do not have clue at all...

CG is a chief tested at Sport Auto for more then a year. HvS now works as additional contributor for AZ.

Oh, and base 991.2 Turbo is very, very fast around Hockenheim on P Zero N1s. 1:08,2min!

Porsche if you read this - pls take a TTS Mk2 on customized run down Cup2's and produce a Hockenheim time wink and call the Ad - "faith restored"

BjoernB:
    koko:

It's amazing how many people here totally flip out whenever a non Porsche does some impressive numbers lol

Nobody is questionning the time - we just try to find out just how they achieved it. I don't think that anybody here is a Porsche only fan Boy I dunno where People takes this.....this is THE Advantage of RT vs others.....

Smiley Probably also a disadvantage because from my experience, people who idolize a certain brand, their brand, won't easily accept criticism or that another brand (especially the direct competition) is "better". Had to learn this the hard way when I had to delete/disable two Rennteam accounts at user requests because they didn't like our criticism on Porsche and how some of the discussions seem to favor other brands. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

FC? You mean Fchat?  If yes, then yeah, i know.  Its actually kinda funny when you look at both forums: mclife and fchat.  Mclife had two threads, both with similar amount of posts and they seem to be neutral to it.  At first they were cautious about it and thought about slicks, but after the photos, those theories died down.  Had that been a ferrari that done that time, whew!  Could you imagine the conspiracies?  Then there's fchat.  Fchat seems to be much like mclife.  A couple doubted it, but most are impressed by it, and as usual, it all goes back to the same thought process  of "its not a ferrari and it won't feel as special", but as a car, they're pretty impressed by it.

Another thing that just caught my eye was this post over at mclife: 

What's the hockhenheim time? It's been suggested to me that the ring time might be down to Gebhardt being more confident in the car's handling to push it very hard compared to some of the other really high powered mid engined cars (488/918). He was only 2 seconds off the factory gt4 time for example which is a car most people do seem to think is a comfortable one to push hard but a long way off in the 918.

Is that bit true?  Do you know anything about that?

By the way, a 1:08.2 around HHR is kinda slow.  An SLS black series got that time, but then again, it was on cup2'sSmiley

kingjr9000:

By the way, a 1:08.2 around HHR is kinda slow.  An SLS black series got that time, but then again, it was on cup2'sSmiley

No, the SLS Black Series did 1:08.6 in the Supertest Smiley

Sorry.  Could've sworn i saw 1:08.2 somewhere.  Thanks.  

Ok, nows theres talk and speculation of unnatural and non-stock camber on the wheels.

1.08,2min on P Zero N1s is kind of slow?😕

Well, it is fantastic time.

570S 1.08,8min Corsas

R8 V10 Plus 1.09,00min Cup2

991.2 Turbo S 1.08,5min P Zero N1

So, even CG was able to beat its previous best. This time in humble 991.2 Turbo. Which, btw, had only 530ps measured power... Even 488 GTB on standard tires is not that fast on Hockenheim.

Maybe Porsche provided very healthy press car? 😉

BjoernB:

Porsche if you read this - pls take a TTS Mk2 on customized run down Cup2's and produce a Hockenheim time wink and call the Ad - "faith restored"

You solve one problem, then you have to deal with angry 991.2 GT3 owners that won't like that kinda result at HHR  Smiley

Chevy provided Sport Auto a Z06 with dual clutch for this test Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUFk9cPI94

Chevy does not have a dual clutch box, just torque converter slush box or manual 7spd.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

Chevy does not have a dual clutch box, just torque converter slush box or manual 7spd.

*sarcasm* Smiley

Sorry - too early in the morning- my sarcasm meter only works after morning coffee indecision

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

KresoF1:

570S 1.08,8min Corsas

So, even CG was able to beat its previous best. This time in humble 991.2 Turbo. Which, btw, had only 530ps measured power... Even 488 GTB on standard tires is not that fast on Hockenheim.

Hmm, maybe I'm just spoiled.  But, the 488 did two separate times, both it seems by SA. One was 1:08.3, the other was 1:07.  Can kinda see how the base turbo could be faster than the turbo S, especially if the turbo S had a heavier spec than the base turbo, and the base turbo had a good engine to compensate.

kingjr9000:
    KresoF1:

570S 1.08,8min Corsas

Hmm, maybe I'm just spoiled.  But, the 488 did two separate times, both it seems by SA. One was 1:08.3, the other was 1:07.  Can kinda see how the base turbo could be faster than the turbo S, especially if the turbo S had a heavier spec than the base turbo, and the base turbo had a good engine to compensate.

Of course the turbo s is not slower but faster than the regular turbo - under the same conditions Smiley

RC:
    BjoernB:
    koko:

Smiley Probably also a disadvantage because from my experience, people who idolize a certain brand, their brand, won't easily accept criticism or that another brand (especially the direct competition) is "better". Had to learn this the hard way when I had to delete/disable two Rennteam accounts at user requests because they didn't like our criticism on Porsche and how some of the discussions seem to favor other brands. Smiley

Why would anyone who is not interested in reading/participating in Rennteam or any online forum would do that?  Can't they just walk away?

Ziggy:
    RC:
    BjoernB:
    koko:

Why would anyone who is not interested in reading/participating in Rennteam or any online forum would do that?  Can't they just walk away?

There are people like that, they just want to enforce their flawed view to others. They are unable to walkaway, they simply want to 'win'

One such example is Lieven at Fchat, who is Mycroft at McLarenLife. He works for McLaren fro a trivial job, but can't accept that the P1 is not the fastest thing Ron Dennis promised. So he keep posting useless pointless flawed arguments about why the P1 should win or why it lose and if this and this didn't happened then the P1 would come out on top, etc. 

Basically he thinks he knows more about the P1 and the 918 because he read everything on the internet and nothing on the internet is wrong ever.His 3rd hand 4th hand knowledge is better than owners who have 1st hand knowledge.

--

Salmon's opinion on the AMG GT R. 

https://youtu.be/WPgcx-jRTM0?t=2m39s

kingjr9000:
    KresoF1:

570S 1.08,8min Corsas

Did you actually read that tests in Sport Auto(in German)?

If so, you would not post comment like you did.

488 was tested first with normal Michelin SS and in Supertest with Cup2s.

Also 991.2 Turbo had engine power measured by Sport Auto and achieved almost 530PS. So, below official spec. 

Here is the info about how much faster is 991.2 Turbo S then normal Turbo. Marginally, in best case scenario. This is the reason why CG was faster in that Miami Blue Turbo on Hockenheim then in Lava Orange Turbo S.

KresoF1:
    Here is the info about how much faster is 991.2 Turbo S then normal Turbo. Marginally, in best case scenario.

Not in "best case" but in "normal case", 40hp difference alone will make a measurable difference, not huge though Smiley 

my conclusion is that a 488 is a seriously lousy product for +700 HP smiley - compared to a GT-R

Ziggy:
    RC:
    BjoernB:
    koko:

Very good question.

Also received this one, where the user demanded to delete all his contributions. Smiley We can't do that because it would have "destroyed" entire (valuable) threads but I disabled his account per his wish. Really weird.

Hello. I would like to delete my content and my membership at this time, is that possible? The reason is that I don't have much time at the moment to dedicate to rennteam and please I would appreciate if my contributions are deleted at this time, is that possible? Thank you very much.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

KresoF1:
    kingjr9000:
    KresoF1:

570S 1.08,8min Corsas

Also 991.2 Turbo had engine power measured by Sport Auto and achieved almost 530PS. So, below official spec. 

Here is the info about how much faster is 991.2 Turbo S then normal Turbo. Marginally, in best case scenario. This is the reason why CG was faster in that Miami Blue Turbo on Hockenheim then in Lava Orange Turbo S.

First, there is a dyno detecting software. I do not say that Porsche uses such a software routine in their ECU but from a programming point of view, it is possible and I think that VW has, unfortunately, proven it very well. Smiley

Second, there were several reviews where the 991.2 Turbo (not S) achieved 0-200 kph under 10 seconds (9.6 and 9.7 seconds). The one review Sport Auto posted, the 991.2 Turbo achieved 10.6 seconds. One second slower. Pretty weird if you ask me. 

I do not say car manufacturers cheat (always Smiley) but we all need to be open minded and also take in consideration that for car manufacturers, these reviews are vital for the success of their cars, believe it or not. We are talking serious money here, so... Smiley

--

Ok

1. I can't read german.  We or I usually ask one of the members on the forum to translate the gist of the germanic tests.  I just usually look at the numbers to see whats what.
    2. The SA 1:07 time for the 488 was tested on cup2's, then on AZ test it did 1:07.4 on cup2's, but it also had 1:08 with some german below it about ESP.  I'll post the picture.
    3. I just looked at the test a moment ago.  Just to make sure I looked at the right one, it was the turbo vs GTR, right?
    4. I see nothing major below in your information. If you were trying to or planning on posting something like a picture, I don't see it.  SorrySmiley

So, if you look at measured power for Miami Blue 991.2 Turbo you can not talk about "good engine".

Second, CG from SA tested 488 on Michelin SS(first example) and Cup2s(second example).

AZ numbers are always the best or most optimistic.

Christian,

991.2 Turbo numbers are not weird at all. You were talking about AZ numbers which are always way better then numbers from SA or AMS. 

I do agree that it was down by about 14hp, not much off official, but certainly not one of their better engines.  But why was it slightly faster than the turbo s, despite being on the same tires?  Ive looked on my usual site to find the scans of the turbo s test, but i can't.  So i have no idea about the power output.

KresoF1:

Christian,

991.2 Turbo numbers are not weird at all. You were talking about AZ numbers which are always way better then numbers from SA or AMS. 

Nope, I was comparing Sport Auto numbers with Sport Auto numbers. Smiley

--

Interesting since only one example of 991.2 Turbo (Miami Blue S-GO 4319) and  one examole of 991.2  Turbo S (Lava Orange S-GO 4318) were tested by Sport Auto.

991.2 Turbo S 0-200km/h: 9.9s 1616kg

991.2 Turbo 0-200km/h: 10.6s 1619kg

So... 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690626 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409864 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256081 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235319 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65723 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858536 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774805 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM