Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

06 Porsche Sport Exhaust: dumbed down ??!!

Last week-end I drove an 06 Carrera C4S with PSE and it was QUIET ! In fact it wasn't ANY louder than the 06 C4 running next to it that had no PSE. I have listened to the sound bites posted on this board and LOVED what I heard, but the car I drove this week-end sounded NOTHING like this ! Does it require a "break-in" period before the sound becomes more noticeable?

Other observations: the extra rear width IS noticeable albeit not a HUGE difference but very sexy. The darker colors bring out the extra width emphasis because they better reflect the contours of the fenders. There was a black C4S and an Arctic Silver C4 and they almost looked like two different cars: The black car looked much wider because of the reflective surfaces whereas the Silver car appeared flat and the contours almost invisible.

Re: 06 Porsche Sport Exhaust: dumbed down ??!!

did you hit the 'sport' button (to activate PSE)??

I have a 06 w/ PSE, it sounds bad-ass.

you surely forgot to activate pse with the sport button...

I'll jump on the "press the sport button" band wagon.

This reminds me of when I went to my dealer and he tried to convince me that the PSE on the S did not sound any different than a non-PSE S, therefore the real sound difference was between the 3.6l and 3.8l engines. He rationalized that the PSE made the 3.6l sound more like the S.

He was surprised when I explained to him that in the S there is no separate PSE button, but you had to press the Sport button to access the PSE. As luck would have it, a navy blue S with PSE was being delivered off the truck outside so we went to test my assertion.

He turned the key and revved the engine. Sounded good. He then depressed the Sport button and revved the engine. Whoa nelly!

He immediately went to inform the rest of staff.

When you have the PSE installed they combine they change the sport button to a different button. My question is does that mean you no longer have sport mode or is it combined?

I thought that the PSE would also activate by itself at higher RPMS?

Quote:
    sato said:

This reminds me of when I went to my dealer and he tried to convince me that the PSE on the S did not sound any different than a non-PSE S, therefore the real sound difference was between the 3.6l and 3.8l engines. He rationalized that the PSE made the 3.6l sound more like the S.

He was surprised when I explained to him that in the S there is no separate PSE button, but you had to press the Sport button to access the PSE. As luck would have it, a navy blue S with PSE was being delivered off the truck outside so we went to test my assertion.

He turned the key and revved the engine. Sounded good. He then depressed the Sport button and revved the engine. Whoa nelly!

That's hilarious.

PSE on 996 is activated once you go beyond a certain speed.
    PSE on 997 is activated by pressing the sport button (or a seperate exhaust button if it's installed).

of course both can be easily 'hacked' to always be on.

Quote:
    AS said:
    did you hit the 'sport' button (to activate PSE)??

Also, ask to disconnect the electrical connector so it can be always on for your test drive. That's also a BIG difference.

To my knowledge, the 06 PSE is still the same with the same "hack" possibilities. What I don't know is if the PSE on POWERKIT cars can be "hacked". There doesn't seem to be the same connections in the engine by like on the standard engines. Could somebody who owns a powerkit car give us a hint if "hacking" the sound is possible or not?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    sato said:

That's hilarious.

lol!!
    Similar thing happened when I took delivery of my car.
    I had the PSE fitted the day the car was delivered before driving it off the lot. When the salesman was sitting in the passenger seat he said - "go ahead start her up". I did and gave it some soft revs and he said - "sounds nice huh". I realized he meant the new exhaust and he didn't realize it wasn't on. I said listen to this and hit the sport button. ... He goes - "Holy _hit".

Glad I knew about that at delivery from reading RENNTEAM.

i always park my porsche (if I do take it into work) at this corner spot (get there at 5:30am, just for the spot). So yesterday I was sitting there after work, started the car and getting ready to drive it home. I had my windows down, and I was playing w/ the sports button.

It's fantastic.

Push it ... 3 2 1 and the exhaust goes grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl. Push it again ... 3 2 1 the exhaust sounds quiet. Push it again 3 2 1 .. grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl. Blip the throttle ... god damn. smiles smile smiles.

Thanks everyone. And NO I didn't press the "sport" button as I assumed that the PSE would be on except for the 25-42 MPH shut off. So when the C4S was started, I thought the PSE was on. Will have to return to check out the difference.

I had a similar situation. A guy in an identical seal grey MY06 C2S and I are following eachother around town and at a stop light he pulls up to me and we roll down our windows and he asks me "why does your car sound soooo much better than mine!!??!!" I told him about the PSE, informed him that he could indeed retrofit, told him to view this web site, and we both left smiling.

If anyone is interested, I added it to my 997, which is being sold, I am taking the PSE off and am selling seperately. used about 1,000 miles. perfect

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    i always park my porsche (if I do take it into work) at this corner spot (get there at 5:30am, just for the spot). So yesterday I was sitting there after work, started the car and getting ready to drive it home. I had my windows down, and I was playing w/ the sports button.

It's fantastic.

Push it ... 3 2 1 and the exhaust goes grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl. Push it again ... 3 2 1 the exhaust sounds quiet. Push it again 3 2 1 .. grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl grroowl. Blip the throttle ... god damn. smiles smile smiles.

Dude. You haven't even done the mod???

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...true#Post110755

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Kevin034 said:

It's fantastic.

Dude. You haven't even done the mod???

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...true#Post110755

i'm still scared to touch it.

you could always pay someone else to touch it...

Quote:
    RC said:
    To my knowledge, the 06 PSE is still the same with the same "hack" possibilities. What I don't know is if the PSE on POWERKIT cars can be "hacked". There doesn't seem to be the same connections in the engine by like on the standard engines. Could somebody who owns a powerkit car give us a hint if "hacking" the sound is possible or not?

06 X51 can be "hacked" too--however, the vacuum hose is on the left side far back into the engine compartment near the manifold. I had the tech at my dealer do it for me, unofficially of course

Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:
    06 X51 can be "hacked" too--however, the vacuum hose is on the left side far back into the engine compartment near the manifold. I had the tech at my dealer do it for me, unofficially of course

Far more discreet, do you have any pictures of this vacuum hose connection to be removed?

Quote:
    AS said:
    you could always pay someone else to touch it...

rofl, ok ... I DID IT!!!! OMG! hahahaha, after making changes to the engine, as I was pulling out of my garage my neighbor (subaru, heavily modifed) waved at me and said "holy cow ... that car sounds SO GOOD!".

Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:

If you have any pictures, that'd be perfect!!

Thanks in advance!

Getaway

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776854 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441584 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260850 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85132 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5521 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880572 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815732 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM