Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Test drove the M range

I was invited to an M event or M-day as they call it. It took place in Belgium, Waterloo.

It was a quite private event as you can see on the pics below. Not many people and not many cars but they were all there: M2, M3, M4, M6 and X6M.

We were not able to drive the M2 for some reason. You could just look at it, which was a bit of disappointment. 

The M6 Gran coupe was very impressive and felt very fast. I was really surprised in a positive way because the car never really caught my eye and I thought it would feel way too big and heavy on the road despite the 560 bhp. Well, I can report that I was wrong. The car felt a lot shorter than it is and quite light on its feet (for a 2T car that is). The engine is incredible, I absolutely loved it. The M6 is really aggressive in its power delivery, making it a good laugh behind the wheel. Each time you (barely) squeeze the throttle, you get some sort of an "On and Off" effect  but in a good way.

The car is very comfortable (in "comfort mode" at least). I think the M6 would make a great & fun DD. You don't get too much body roll in turns. Handling is OK and steering fell is not that bad. Obviously, it's no 911 but for such a heavy car, the M6 is quite impressive indeed. The sound of the V8 is magnificent and addictive. 

The interior quality & materials are really good but it doesn't feel that special inside. All BMW's interiors look a bit the same but at least you don't get the cheap plastics like in the M3/M4.

So all in all, I really like that M6 Gran coupe. On the road and for everyday driving, the M6 is fun and a good laugh, even if it's not the fastest 4-door coupe on the market. Frankly, I really do not car about 0 to 60 times anymore. So well done BMW.

The M3 was quite unimpressive compared to the M6. It's probably the better driver's car of the 2 and the fastest (I think), it's also lighter and more agile but the engine was a disappointment. The power delivery is very linear and quite boring IMHO. On the road, It lacks the drama of the M6 and for that reason alone felt ordinary and generic. I have 435i GC and even if the M3 feels more powerful, the engine feels very similar to 3 liter in the 435i. 

The M3 was equipped with a competition package and a louder exhaust. IMO, it sounded idiotic. I absolutely hate cracks and bangs, especially when you lift your foot off the accelerator, and this car had plenty of those. With that exhaust, it felt like a boy racer car.  I'm sure my wife would have been too ashamed to even get inside such a car and for once, I felt the same way. Even the "bump" on the hood looked stupid from the inside and made it feel even more idiotic.

The ride was harsh, even in comfort mode. It might be due to the competition package but the ride was really poor. While the M6 flies on the road, the M3 crashes on very bump and loses traction all the time. I don't know if the M3 had winter tires or not, but traction was not impressive at all, except maybe if you're the "smokey tires at every red light" type of guy.

The M3's interior quality & materials are very average. The carbon bits don't add anything and it feels inside like in any 3-series.

In the end, I was not that impressed by the M3. Yes it's fast and powerful but the ride quality is terrible and the car badly needs 4WD IMHO. Keep in mind that we're in December and the road was slippery but the M6 had a lot more traction than the M3 despite it's 560 bhp.

If I was in the market or a very powerful 4-door car, I'd be very interested in the M6 GC. You can get a good one for the price of a new M3 on the second hand market. 

IMG_2172.JPG

Re: Test drove the M range

IMG_2174 2.JPG

IMG_2177.JPGIMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2180 2.JPGIMG_2173.JPGIMG_2178.JPG

Thanks for the review. 

I find the X4 M40i intriguing. Did you get a chance to drive it?

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with most of your points, except for the fact that I do really like how the M3 (not M4) looks. Wouldn't have it in white, but a dark green with a cognac interior, I wouldn't mind!

M6 GC, very cool car, and very cool choice. Sadly a rare sight on the road in BE due to the heavy taxes on it...

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

I tested an M6 Convertible a couple of years ago .. I  thought the engine sounded dreadful, and the piped in engine noise was synthetic, and horrible.

sfo:

I tested an M6 Convertible a couple of years ago .. I  thought the engine sounded dreadful, and the piped in engine noise was synthetic, and horrible.

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

KMM:

Thanks for the review. 

I find the X4 M40i intriguing. Did you get a chance to drive it?

Nope, sorry. But I do own a 435i and it's basically the same engine. I don't know how heavy the X4 is, but I think the diesel would suit the X4 better. In encourage you to test drive the X4 M40i before you make any decision. That said, the 35i/40i engine is one of the best in its category.

Thanks amazon for the report . The only BMW that I would be interested in at the moment would be the M2 . 

X4 is a very big success around here . M6 I hardly ever see . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Porker:

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with most of your points, except for the fact that I do really like how the M3 (not M4) looks. Wouldn't have it in white, but a dark green with a cognac interior, I wouldn't mind!

M6 GC, very cool car, and very cool choice. Sadly a rare sight on the road in BE due to the heavy taxes on it...

I also like the overall design of the M3 but this white one add a "sporty" exhaust, alcantara everywhere, back wheels, etc. It basically looked like a race machine on testosterone and was too "in your face". For a 4-door car, it's a no go  Smiley  The all point of an M3 is to have a performance car dressed in a suit and not a boy racer car.

The M6 GC is a rare sight indeed. The main problem is its residual value. You can save 60K easy by buying a second hand.

sfo:

I don't know maybe BMW did something to the exhaust with the facelift.Smiley

AS far as I'm concerned, I quite liked the sound of the M6. IMO, it suited the car very well. But I'm not used to V8 to be honest so It's hard for me to compare. I guess the V8 from Porsche or even Mercedes sound better. At least, the M6 does not have the cracks and bangs you get these days.

Gnil:

Thanks amazon for the report . The only BMW that I would be interested in at the moment would be the M2 . 

Sorry Gnil, I can't report on the M2. I just sat in it for 30 seconds and listen to the exhaust. Some BMW guy revved it and from the exterior, it sounds very "metalic" and acute. 

amazon:
    Gnil:

Sorry Gnil, I can't report on the M2. I just sat in it for 30 seconds and listen to the exhaust. Some BMW guy revved it and from the exterior, it sounds very "metalic" and acute. 

Very strange that they did not let you drive it . Did they think it was too dangerous for you guys ? Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    amazon:
    Gnil:

Very strange that they did not let you drive it . Did they think it was too dangerous for you guys ? Smiley

Not at all. The M2 was just not registered. On the pics, you can actually see 2 blue Bmw M2 in the background in the (last 2 pics). One was a client's car, the other one was for display only, with no plates on. But the situation was very strange indeed as we could grab the key of an M6 but had to leave the M2 untouched Smiley 

i'd always go for the AMG equivalent of an M BMW....imo they are just better, especially as daily drivers.

obviously this is a personal and biased opinion but it is based on my own experience between M and AMG.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

i'd always go for the AMG equivalent of an M BMW....imo they are just better, especially as daily drivers.

obviously this is a personal and biased opinion but it is based on my own experience between M and AMG.

Smiley Only exception may be the M2, it just sounds and looks better than the A45 AMG.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    intouch1:

Smiley Only exception may be the M2, it just sounds and looks better than the A45 AMG.

agree. A45 is nasty. M2 at least has a straight 6 rather than a pedestrian 4 pot

Thanks for sharing.

The M6 is the only BMW I really like, It looks great and as character. Nice to see you´re impressed with this model. Another fact you mention was the On / off power, I miss so much this "bang on the back" power from the old days motoring. Nowadays engines are tuned to deliver the ower in such way you can´t  feel the Hp numbers stated. It was more impressive a 964Turbo with 300hp with on/off power deliver than a 991Turbo with almost double Smiley 

--

J.Seven

M cars have lost their appeal. They used to be a cut above the rest, but now every brand has high performance cars with gobs of power and track prowess.

M is now just an expensive BMW option IMO.

J.Seven:

Thanks for sharing.

The M6 is the only BMW I really like, It looks great and as character. Nice to see you´re impressed with this model. Another fact you mention was the On / off power, I miss so much this "bang on the back" power from the old days motoring. Nowadays engines are tuned to deliver the ower in such way you can´t  feel the Hp numbers stated. It was more impressive a 964Turbo with 300hp with on/off power deliver than a 991Turbo with almost double Smiley 

Actually, you should try the 991.1 or 991.2 Turbo S. You won't be disappointed. 

--

J.Seven:

Thanks for sharing.

--

J.Seven

Never drove a 964 turbo (once a 930 turbo) but I share your views on this matter  Smiley  

RC:
    J.Seven:

Thanks for sharing.

The M6 is the only BMW I really like, It looks great and as character. Nice to see you´re impressed with this model. Another fact you mention was the On / off power, I miss so much this "bang on the back" power from the old days motoring. Nowadays engines are tuned to deliver the power in such way you can´t  feel the Hp numbers stated. It was more impressive a 964Turbo with 300hp with on/off power deliver than a 991Turbo with almost double Smiley 

Actually, you should try the 991.1 or 991.2 Turbo S. You won't be disappointed. 

I´ve already drove the Turbo and it´s REALLY fast, but the question here is not being fast, it´s the savage character of all package, those 964 Turbo had nothing to give you till 3100rpm, felt like a 1.3L engine Smiley and all of the sudden BANG a shove of power would slam you at the back Smiley Smiley Smiley love that.. With 993TT this was lost till today models. 

--

J.Seven

The 964 Turbo wasn't really fun to drive, especially not on wet pavement. angry I loved the 964 RS though, can't get this car out of my mind. Very raw, pretty forgiving (for such a car) and fun to drive.

--

Unless you live in Germany (unrestricted autobahn) or are interested in winning the track day championship of fastest lap time, almost every decent "sports car" these days has adequate performance.  Especially if you only drive on windy roads.

Therefore, it is ALWAYS about the experience above all IMO.

Exactly, this is why I have the 964 and the GT4. Best of modern an classic worlds in a budget.

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

vantagesc:

Unless you live in Germany (unrestricted autobahn) or are interested in winning the track day championship of fastest lap time, almost every decent "sports car" these days has adequate performance.  Especially if you only drive on windy roads.

Therefore, it is ALWAYS about the experience above all IMO.

True but not exactly very true. With traction issues, no car is real fun, unless you have a closed road or track where you can play around with that particular car. My former GT500 is the best example. You can't get more fun in a package but dangerous as hell. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

964 turbo was kick in the back in a very bad way. had it for a very short period and couldn't drive it hard. but if i had it now,would make a good buck on it

That's why i still go for e30s wink

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762267 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435258 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260463 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257515 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80936 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872161 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807540 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM